Welcome!

Options
Thanks for joining! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your journey to become A Vegan or how you are a friend of Veganism!

I recently made the leap from being a vegetarian On November 1, but Im running full blast with my head down, trying lots of new things, and loving it. I post lots of recipes so make me your friend if you are interested! Tell me about yourself!

Replies

• thatsarecord
    thatsarecord Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow vegans.

I've been vegan now for about 14 years now I think (there is a grey area from making the transition from being a vegetarian).

Top questions put to me are usualy "So what do you eat?" or "Why??" I hope you'll share similar experiences.

Why did I become vegan? Because I don't need to eat meat or any animal derivatives to live my life happily and because I don't think I could hunt and kill anything for myself. I firmly believe that you should accept what you eat, and I just can't accept eating meat. However, as the only vegan amongst my family and friends, I try and accept everyone's way of life - my boyfriend is a meat eater and I live with that as a good example.

I'm not overweight, but can safely and healthily lose a few pounds which is why I've rejoined this site. Sometimes it's just hard to do it on your own. I'm a relatively keen runner and recently did a half marathon for charity. I think if a lost those few pounds I would be very pleased as I continue to try and shape myself like an "elite athlete", even though I have an office job and live in the real world 90% of the time.

But that's enough drivel about me.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan. I'm vegetarian but would like to do vegan recipes if i get the chance. I eat vegan most of the time although not on purpose. Someday I may make the leap to veganism but for now I love my cheese and milk.
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    My name is Alex, I'm a vegetarian, and have been so since August last year. When I started I was vegan but I started eating too much junk because the transition was too hard and so decided to cut back to vegetarian and go vegan later on. Now that it's been over a year I'm going to try cut out dairy (starting from when my current cream cheese and yoghurt cartons run out) and then think about eggs later. At the moment I am happy to eat eggs as long as they are free range, but eventually I may stop and become vegan.
    Why vegetarian - because if I don't need to eat meat to survive, why would I? It's inefficient to produce and cruel to animals.
    Why here - to lose the kilos I put on after I met my boyfriend, and the kilos I put on after starting my new job, which is in an office, and means much less incidental exercise as when I was at uni.
    I look forward to sharing recipes and ideas!
    Alex
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Holly. I've been vegan for 16 years. It's been a long time but I got there because I was already a lactose intolerant vegetarian and it seemed a logical move. I was inspired to be vegetarian by Paul and Linda McCartney.
  • tiger87lilly
    tiger87lilly Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Cheryl I have been a vegetarian for 20 years and 5 of those years I was vegan. I have recently gone back to my vegan roots and am feeling great. I still am getting use too some new alternatives, however about a year ago I found out I was lactose intolerant which has made this transition much easier. I have found some very tasty non dairy yogurts and am cutting out soy....issues have arised due to the quantity I was consuming.

It's nice to meet you all!
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all! :D I'm not vegan, but I love vegan food and am interested in the idea. I love scouting out raw and vegan potlucks and restaurants, because the food is always so healthy and interesting! Feel free to add me as a friend, I'm looking for lots more friends here! :D
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Hi!. I'm Jain & have been a veggie for about 19 years & counting. I tried going veggie in my late teens but it was very difficult to eat heathily back then (late 70's early 80's) and living on Tyneside in the UK I didn't have the access to a lot of ingredients.
    When I met my husband, he was a died in the wool carnivor & and it was a case of cooking two seperate meals, which eventually got too much. Until........
    We went on holiday with another couple in a caravan (trailer). The other guy was a real workingclass Geordie & HAD to have meat at every meal. During the weeks holiday the other girl & I shared to cooking & one night I made a Veggie Risotto. Her partner threw a hissy fit & sulked until she got up from the table & made him a bacon sandwich!:noway:
    I was so shocked by their behaviour I made a vow I would never eat meat again. And I havn't.
    My DH still eats meat, but only when we eat out. In the house he is more than happy to eat the veggie (and vegan) meals I make.
  • miss_kisha
    miss_kisha Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I would like to become Vegan. I believe it will be a healthier lifestyle for me, and also I have somehow lost the love for meat that I once I had. Sometimes the thought of it makes me feel queasy. I think this is the body's way of telling me it's had enough! The challenge is being so busy that I have to grab and go and there are too many bad choices you can make when you are in a hurry. Also, my family would not eat this way so I'd be on my own at home. So, I'm looking for support here!
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I was a vegetarian for four years before recently switching to veganism.

I'm so happy to see this group here!
  • shannonichole
    Options
    Hi!

I have been here for a year, but I have never gotten around to joining a group. I have been vegan for 12 years with a couple of years as a vegetarian while I was in culinary school. Unfortunately, I found out after I started my career that I was allergic to eggs (the irony) and have had to switch careers to something less exciting. I like to read, cook/bake, and hike. :happy:
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am vegan and made the leap from omnivore to vegan in one day. :^) 1/1/2010. My dad has been vegan for over 10 years and I saw him drop his extremely high cholesterol to excellent levels with a vegan diet. He is my inspiration. I have had cholesterol over 200 since I was 25 years old and after 18 months vegan it was 168! I was anemic before becoming vegan, not anemic after (and I do not take iron supplementation). My 15-yo daughter sometimes asks why I don't simply be vegetarian, but the things added to a vegetarian diet are the things high in cholesterol - butter, cheese, eggs.

Since I started my vegan journey, I have read and seen a lot about factory farming and do not think I could ever go back to eating animal products.

I love cooking and trying new recipes. I love making something for someone and having them be surprised that it's vegan because "it tastes so delicious" - as if vegan stuff has to be nasty!
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I too became vegan for health reasons and my cholesterol went from over 200 to 133! Still struggle with temptation at times, but overall feel so much better when I don't eat junk! Glad you're eating healthy!
  • littleveg
    littleveg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hey everyone! my name is alicia and i've been vegan (well 99% vegan, i do consume honey occasionally) for almost 11 years! in my twenties i was mostly a junk food vegan, but now in the past few years i've really wised up and cleaned up my diet and lifestyle, and i feel great! i work in the supplements industry and am very interested in supplementation, herbs, super-foods, cleanses and a raw diet. i presently eat a highly raw diet but not 100%. it is great to be connected to people with similar values & goals who are so passionate about their health and wellness <3
  • claram5415
    Options
    Welcome little veg! I think you'll find MFP a good way to say on track!
  • Halloch
    Halloch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Marie. I am new to the life of vegan. I have been working towards vegan for 6 weeks (about 95% pure). I am still in the process of learning to properly read labels and finding out what hidden items are really animal products. My challenge lies with my co-workers. All men, all hunters and fishermen and all talk about killing animals. This makes for a very lonely meal time since I choose to eat by myself. I am the boss so I cannot push my ways on to them only show them the benefits of a healthy lifestyle and gently encourage a more humane way of life. I look forward to having other life minded people to communicate with. Best wishes to all.
  • MsWhiteParks
    MsWhiteParks Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm rather new to Veganisms too! This tome 3weeks ago I genuinely cried when I found out that my week month old daughter has protien intolerances, and as she's breastfed it meant cutting out ALL dairy an reintroducing very slowly so we could see how severe! I HATED the thought of no milk and cheese etc... I now know it was just pure ignorance! :-D

Infact we are both so so happy now that I'm reluctant to reintroduce dairy at all! The best part about MFP for me at the minute is that I can keep track of my calcium levels for Lucie, and not worry a to whether she is getting enough on my "hippy dippy vegan diet" as a friend affectionately put it :-)

X
  • claram5415
    Options
    Welcome Marie! It sounds like you'll be bringing new experiences to your co-workers! Hang in there and they may surprise you. Know that you're doing a good thing for yourself and our world by changing your habits.
  • jmt304
    jmt304 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a new member to myfitnesspal! I have been vegan before and absolutely felt amazing! I am just starting to be as vegan as possible again to help me lose some weight. Along with being vegan I also get rid of any white food (replace with wheat) and any fried food (just because it's SO bad).

If anyone has any ideas for CHEAP vegan meals or snacks I'd love to hear it! It seems that being healthy costs so much more money...
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    jmt304- I think eating vegan is cheaper...beans, rice, lentils and the super sized packs of carrots are all so cheap. I think spinach and almonds are the most expensive items in my shopping cart. The biggest savings is not eating out so much...I make all of my meals instead of spending $5-$15 on a meal.

I have been a vegetarian for only 6 months but only really at meat when at restaurants, now the smell makes me sick. I can prepare food at home for my big family (like on Thanksgiving) but prefer only veg food. As soon as Black Friday hit I went vegan. I think the cream and butter in the mashed potatoes made me sick. I still need to learn about a few things on lables (like siracha??? is that vegan? I hope so)

I love this group because I am the only vegan in the family and at work. (We have one that is vegetarian) and it is nice to hear others advice and stories. As well, talking about it without judgment like I am weird is the best.

Happy Eating!
    kt
  • Hi! I'm Lynette. I've been a vegetarian for going on 2 years but I have made the choice to become strictly vegan both for health reasons as well as my awareness of animal suffering. I am looking forward to sharing recipes, ideas, etc. to promote a vegan diet and weight loss.