Stage 3

Options
TluvK
TluvK Posts: 733 Member
Hi ladies - I thought we could use this spot to talk about all things Stage 3.

I just finished my 2nd Workout B - it went well. I always enjoy the 2nd workout of A & B because I just feel more fluid and comfortable with what I'm doing. I initially didn't like the deadlift/row combo b/c my strength isn't equal in those exercises, so I ended up doing 65 lbs last time and didn't feel challenged. Well, I upped it to 95 lbs today and felt really worked. Just ONE more example of me not pushing myself! That keeps happening to me in this program!!

Replies

• Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'll be here sometime next week!!! :)
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the rdl/row combo. I was up to 70lbs on a regular deadlift but there's no way I could row that weight so I just used the 45lb barbell. That felt light so I will up the weight next time. I don't like combo exercises where I feel the weights are unevenly matched, like the push/press in stage 2. I could only use the 45lb bar and was not able to complete 10 reps until the last workout of the stage. Of course I can squat much more than that but it was a struggle just lifting the barbell over my head. So far I have only done workouts A and B on stage 3 once. I liked B a lot better. The body weight matrix just about killed me and I couldn't even do a second set. I should have workout out today but I had to be somewhere at 10 and knew I was going to be out all day so I am doing it tomorrow. Plus I think my muscles needed an extra day to rest. My back was pretty sore from the YTWLs and the good mornings, which I am doing instead of back extensions.
  • idauria
    Options
    Ok, so I just completed my second round of Workout A. I just want it to be known that I hate those planks! Now I am no stranger to planks, having done them a million times with Jillian, but holding them for 90 seconds is just cruel. My shoulders are burning!! But that's a good thing, right? Also, I was able to complete both sets of the body matrix. My first time was 2 mins 12 seconds and the second set was 2 mins 18 seconds. Not bad, but my legs feel like jello right now. I'm supposed to practice tennis later and I don't know how I'm going to do it!

I wore my HRM during this workout and I'm glad I did. I burned 317 cals! I was pretty shocked actually. I didn't think I could burn that much lifting weights especially considering the long rest times. But to be sure during my rest times I wasn't really just sitting down. I was moving around, trying to stay warm. A couple of times I had to run downstairs to check soup that's on the stove. But damn, I'm going to wear it next time too just to double check.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies - I thought we could use this spot to talk about all things Stage 3.

I just finished my 2nd Workout B - it went well. I always enjoy the 2nd workout of A & B because I just feel more fluid and comfortable with what I'm doing. I initially didn't like the deadlift/row combo b/c my strength isn't equal in those exercises, so I ended up doing 65 lbs last time and didn't feel challenged. Well, I upped it to 95 lbs today and felt really worked. Just ONE more example of me not pushing myself! That keeps happening to me in this program!!
    Wow, you can row 95lbs. for 6 reps? Impressive! I'm still at 65lbs. and it's hard (but do-able) to row it all the way up to my chest on the last rep. I have to really concentrate to use only my arm and back strength to row the barbell, and not use momentum at all by bouncing.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Dumbbell single-leg Romanian deadlift (pg. 170): why does it say "grab a pair of LIGHT dumbbells"? Aren't we supposed to progress the weight for each and every exercise while still maintaining proper form? Plus, why can't we use a barbell?
    I was using 20lb. dumbbells in each hand but I'm ready to increase the weight. The 25lb. dumbbells are too bulky and awkward to hold so I was thinking of using the 45lb. Olympic barbell with two 2.5lb. plates. Can you think of any reason why I shouldn't? Anyone else doing this?

I'll be doing the final Workout A tomorrow.
  • idauria
    Options
    Dumbbell single-leg Romanian deadlift (pg. 170): why does it say "grab a pair of LIGHT dumbbells"? Aren't we supposed to progress the weight for each and every exercise while still maintaining proper form? Plus, why can't we use a barbell?
    I was using 20lb. dumbbells in each hand but I'm ready to increase the weight. The 25lb. dumbbells are too bulky and awkward to hold so I was thinking of using the 45lb. Olympic barbell with two 2.5lb. plates. Can you think of any reason why I shouldn't? Anyone else doing this?

I wondered that too. I started with 10 pound db's but last time I bumped up to 15 and I think I can go even higher than that. Maybe it's just easier to keep your balance with lighter weights.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options

No - I can't think of a reason you wouldn't go as heavy as you can. I do two 40 lb dumbbells for that exercise.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Yeah!! I like it when people use what they have and up the ante a bit! :) Get creative!! Use proper form and you'll do awesome!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

No - I can't think of a reason you wouldn't go as heavy as you can. I do two 40 lb dumbbells for that exercise.

I am using 25 pounders.
  • Yanicka1
    Options
    Ok, it is official, I loath the YTWL!!!!!

I did workout B for the second time today.

also, I do the back exercise on the machine, I use a 25 pounds plate to make it harder but it pretty much does not make it difficult enough,Short of holding the 25lbs plate over my head, I am not sure how I can make it harder :/ Maybe use a 35 pounds dumbbell?
  • idauria
    Options
    Ok, it is official, I loath the YTWL!!!!!

I did workout B for the second time today.

also, I do the back exercise on the machine, I use a 25 pounds plate to make it harder but it pretty much does not make it difficult enough,Short of holding the 25lbs plate over my head, I am not sure how I can make it harder :/ Maybe use a 35 pounds dumbbell?

I also did workout B for the second time this morning and I also am not loving the YTWL! I'm only using 3 lb barbie db's and it's still killer! Since I workout at home I can't do back extensions so I am doing good mornings instead. I don't see why you couldn't use heavier dumbbells for the extensions if the 25lb plate isn't challenging enough. I say try it next time and see how it feels.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options

I did the back extension with a 25# plate too - anything else and I didn't feel a thing. I had to do more reps to actually feel like I got enough out of it though. I suppose I probably should have grabbed a heavier plate, but since I workout alone, I wanted to make sure I could get myself set up in the thing while holding the weight LOL!! I'm sure I would have been fine, but you never know! When I have to do it again, I plan to increase the weight if needed.

Make sure you are bending at the hips, not the waist. I had to put the machine at almost the lowest setting to make sure I could bend at the right place. I also went pretty slowly so I wasn't using any momentum. What's the next plate - 35#? Otherwise, could you hold the 25# with a 5# behind it? I don't think you could hold it over your head - you'd run into the floor (at least I would on the machine at my gym)
  • Janda06
    Options
    Yeah!!! I'm officially in stage 3!! I finished workout A yesterday and really like all the exercises. Wow, the bodymatrix took me 9min the first time and 6 min the second. My rest was long enough in between that I drove home put the kids to bed and then did the second round...haha!! It was the lunge jumps that were hard for me...I"m really hoping to shorten the time there!
  • idauria
    Options
    Yeah!!! I'm officially in stage 3!! I finished workout A yesterday and really like all the exercises. Wow, the bodymatrix took me 9min the first time and 6 min the second. My rest was long enough in between that I drove home put the kids to bed and then did the second round...haha!! It was the lunge jumps that were hard for me...I"m really hoping to shorten the time there!

Welcome to stage 3! I'm in the middle. In fact I have to go upstairs soon and knock out Workout A for the 3rd time. I was wondering how your second pass at the body matrix was shorter. The long rest really helps! I couldn't even do both sets the first time I did it, Last time I did 2 mins 12 seconds and 2 mins 18 seconds. Yes, the lunge jumps are straight out of hell! LOL. By the second set I am barely even bending because it hurts so much. I push myself to do it as fast as possible just so I could be done with it. I should do ok today because I had 2 rest days instead of my usual 1 between workout days. I don't want to wait until tonight though because I'll be too tired. I couldn't do it this morning so afternoon it is. I have nowhere to be and I do it at home, which is why I love working out at home in the first place. Anyway, good luck with the rest of the program!
  • idauria
    Options
    I did Workout A 3 yesterday. I bumped up to 60 pound barbell rows and 20lb dbs for the overhead snatch. Boy am I feeling it right now. My whole upper back/shoudlers are so sore! But that tells me that I did something right. I seriously despise the body matrix. I can't wait until it's over! My legs were like jello after I was done! My legs are feeling stronger though so that makes all the pain worth it!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I did workout 3A yesterday for the first time yesterday and today I am seriously hurting. I was surprised at how much weight I could do - I had to keep increasing the weights for everything but the one-armed squat. I managed 75lb rows, 25 lb cuban snatch, and 60 lb reverse wood chop. The body weight matrix, though - sheesh! My right knee is all swelled up behind the knee and I can't kneel on it today - I think I'm going to have to bypass the squat jumps. I didn't even attempt the lunge jumps. There's no way my knees could take that. All in all I liked the workout, with the exception of the matrix. I wonder if I could switch out the jumping moves for something else.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I LOVED doing the one-armed snatches. I just hate the word, "Snatch". LOL People looked at me like I was crazy, but I didn't care. I watched a bunch of you tube videos to find the proper form for this exercise, so I knew I was doing it right...people just like to stare at anything out of their little box. :happy:
  • Yanicka1
    Options
    I love one arm snatch....I am doing 25 pounds right now, 80 pounds rows, 85 pounds reverse wood chops. I have 1 workout A & B then I am done wtih Stage 3.
  • idauria
    Options
    Only 2 more workouts left in stage 3. The timing works out perfectly. I will do workout A on Monday and B on Wednesday and then I'll use the long Thanksgiving weekend as my rest and start stage 4 on Monday.

Oh, and I agree that the word "snatch" is obnoxious! The first time I told my husband I was doing the prone Cuban snatch, he was like "what did you say?" LOL.
  • Janda06
    Options
    Just checking in... I did the first workout B today. I think I like workout A better it was tougher I guess?! I don't think I was doing the partial leg squats right. I kept losing my balance if I stood on a bench and on the ground didn't feel like enough work...anyone have any tips? Oh and the rests...gahh!!! I skipped the rest for the ab circuit . I wanted to get out of the Gym today....:)
    Amanda