Stage 3

Options

Replies

• NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Today was my first Stage 3 workout, but it was a bit of a mish mash. I usually go through each A and B of a new stage with a trainer so I dont kill myself. However, my favoritest trainer wont be available on Thursday! So after a good hard look over the workouts I was more concerned with some of the lifts on B than A. So today I did workout B with my trainer! We also did the one arm dumbbell snatches from workout A because they were the only thing on A I wasnt so sure of myself on. I had a ball with those! I cannot wait until Thursday to do them again. Workout B wasnt really bad at all. Especially compared to Stage 2! I really liked the back extension...talk about glutes and hammies!
  • NthnButMoonshine
    Options
    Morning Ladies!

Looks like I took a week off anyway. last workout was thur stage 3A. Sunday I wanted to attempt 3B but my lower back was hurting which leads me to believe that I didnt do my RDL's right :sad: Started B last night and was interrupted 10 minutes into by a phone call and lost my mojo. so tonight is a repeat of the B workout. plus cardio afterward.

After reviewing the moves it looks like the YTWL is all shoulder work? comments anyone?
    my right shoulder isnt 100% due to a high rep and what should have been a low weight dvd but I was a bit overzealous so im a little worried about this sequence of exercises. will keep you guys posted!

Stinkin' phone! LOL! The YTWL is mostly shoulder and upper back/back of the shoulder. Definitely keep the weight light. Even the book specifies VERY light weights. Also, be mindful of the way your palms/thumbs/wrists are supposed to face. It makes a big difference in the way the movement feels. Looking forward to your report!
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Today was my first Stage 3 workout, but it was a bit of a mish mash. I usually go through each A and B of a new stage with a trainer so I dont kill myself. However, my favoritest trainer wont be available on Thursday! So after a good hard look over the workouts I was more concerned with some of the lifts on B than A. So today I did workout B with my trainer! We also did the one arm dumbbell snatches from workout A because they were the only thing on A I wasnt so sure of myself on. I had a ball with those! I cannot wait until Thursday to do them again. Workout B wasnt really bad at all. Especially compared to Stage 2! I really liked the back extension...talk about glutes and hammies!

Hey Nthn,
    how much weight are you using for your snatch. I started at 15 and didnt think much of that particular exercise. I find workout B to be too easy but this is coming from a person who is working out at home. Im not getting the full benefit due to the fact that I dont have a bench or back extension apparatus so I do 30 supermans in place of the back extension and the ytwl is more of a standing exercise for me

70 for my rdl.bb combo
    20for my parital leg squat
    35 lb pullovers
    ytwl is at 8
    1 minute or 30 supermans in place of the back extensions
    then abs plus interval
  • NthnButMoonshine
    Options

Hey Nthn,
    how much weight are you using for your snatch. I started at 15 and didnt think much of that particular exercise. I find workout B to be too easy but this is coming from a person who is working out at home. Im not getting the full benefit due to the fact that I dont have a bench or back extension apparatus so I do 30 supermans in place of the back extension and the ytwl is more of a standing exercise for me

70 for my rdl.bb combo
    20for my parital leg squat
    35 lb pullovers
    ytwl is at 8
    1 minute or 30 supermans in place of the back extensions
    then abs plus interval

I found 15lbs to be too light. For me, 20lbs was enough to keep me from trying to do a lateral raise and really use the power generated from the hips and legs. I will probably try heavier next go, but concentrating on form and gaining confidence was my number one goal my first time through. As for workout B, BB Romanian deadlift/bent over row can easily be made to easy if you let your elbows fly wide. I did that on my first set and kinda smirked about it. Well, my trainer is as much of a smartass as I am and she set me straight. If you keep your elbows in closer to your body it makes it much harder on the row and you cant pull near as much weight. Not as fun, but man I hurt so good today! The partial squat, it was a bit too easy, but I come from a competitive skating background. Not enough to attempt those pistol squats, but enough to not struggle so much with the one leg balance thing. You said you did 20lbs squats? Did you hug a weight plate or something or am I misunderstanding you? Id love to be able to one up those without going to pistols. Please share your secret! I wish you had access to a back extension dohicky (technical term there...) you are really missing out on something. My glutes and hamstrings are singing today thanks to those. They are a favorite for sure. As for the YTWL, another forum I am on suggested "at homes" perform this exercise and the Cuban snatch from stage 2 while leaning the forehead against a post or something to correct the angle. This way you cant cheat the movement and gravity affects your shoulder more in the way it was designed (back of shoulder not top of shoulder)...clear as mud?
  • melissaw1232
    Options
    [/quote]

"I found 15lbs to be too light. For me, 20lbs was enough to keep me from trying to do a lateral raise and really use the power generated from the hips and legs. I will probably try heavier next go, but concentrating on form and gaining confidence was my number one goal my first time through. As for workout B, BB Romanian deadlift/bent over row can easily be made to easy if you let your elbows fly wide. I did that on my first set and kinda smirked about it. Well, my trainer is as much of a smartass as I am and she set me straight. If you keep your elbows in closer to your body it makes it much harder on the row and you cant pull near as much weight. Not as fun, but man I hurt so good today! The partial squat, it was a bit too easy, but I come from a competitive skating background. Not enough to attempt those pistol squats, but enough to not struggle so much with the one leg balance thing. You said you did 20lbs squats? Did you hug a weight plate or something or am I misunderstanding you? Id love to be able to one up those without going to pistols. Please share your secret! I wish you had access to a back extension dohicky (technical term there...) you are really missing out on something. My glutes and hamstrings are singing today thanks to those. They are a favorite for sure. As for the YTWL, another forum I am on suggested "at homes" perform this exercise and the Cuban snatch from stage 2 while leaning the forehead against a post or something to correct the angle. This way you cant cheat the movement and gravity affects your shoulder more in the way it was designed (back of shoulder not top of shoulder)...clear as mud? "
    [/quote]

Ok a lot ot digest Nthn but I took notes. lol
    the snatch: I workout with kettlebells so the move was very familiar and I really didnt feel challenged with 15 because that it my normal kb weight. (initially I was going for a light run thru of workout A)
    I do believe that I kept my elbows close for the rdl/bbr. I'll double check that. Im laughing at the thought of the trainer wiping the smirk off your face..dont you hate that? I'll report back to you on those on saturday although im tempted to check my form on those tonight. You may be wipiing the smirk off my face,lol
    The partial squats I held 2- 20lb dumbells cuz it says in the book that if balance isnt an issue then hold a weight.
    gotta try the post trick because I am definitely working the tops of my shoulders as opposed to the rear shoulder. on the ytwl

I do have a membership to planet fitness so it looks like I'll go there and have "back" days using the extension and lat pulldown( if they even have one of those) Its usually where I go to get my cardio in cuz I like the options.
  • NthnButMoonshine
    Options
    Ok a lot ot digest Nthn but I took notes. lol
    the snatch: I workout with kettlebells so the move was very familiar and I really didnt feel challenged with 15 because that it my normal kb weight. (initially I was going for a light run thru of workout A)
    I do believe that I kept my elbows close for the rdl/bbr. I'll double check that. Im laughing at the thought of the trainer wiping the smirk off your face..dont you hate that? I'll report back to you on those on saturday although im tempted to check my form on those tonight. You may be wipiing the smirk off my face,lol
    The partial squats I held 2- 20lb dumbells cuz it says in the book that if balance isnt an issue then hold a weight.
    gotta try the post trick because I am definitely working the tops of my shoulders as opposed to the rear shoulder. on the ytwl

I do have a membership to planet fitness so it looks like I'll go there and have "back" days using the extension and lat pulldown( if they even have one of those) Its usually where I go to get my cardio in cuz I like the options.

Yeah, I got wordy on ya! Sorry! I do that sometimes. Ive known my trainer for some time now, she is awesome. Id never be brave enough to do this without her, so Ill happily let her wipe the smirk off my face knowing it means Ill be all the better for it. :wink:

I read that page on the squats 3 times over and I didnt see anything about adding weights! I believe you though!! Im going to read it again now that the kids are in bed and I can read it in peace. :grumble: Im sure to find it mentioned this time around. :laugh:
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    hey melissa, I workout at home as well, I do back extension on the swiss ball.

Just look up back extension on swiss ball on youtube :happy: :happy:
  • girlie100
    Options
    I read that page on the squats 3 times over and I didnt see anything about adding weights! I believe you though!! Im going to read it again now that the kids are in bed and I can read it in peace. :grumble: Im sure to find it mentioned this time around. :laugh:

I think its on the following page if I remember correctly :smile: :smile:
  • melissaw1232
    Options
    hey melissa, I workout at home as well, I do back extension on the swiss ball.

Just look up back extension on swiss ball on youtube :happy: :happy:

Thanks Girlie this makes alot of sense!!! Im so happy that I can do the back extension now! woo-hoo!
  • NthnButMoonshine
    Options

I think its on the following page if I remember correctly :smile: :smile:

I totally see it now! I knew it had to be there! I really should save any important reading for after the kids are sleeping. You think I would have learned this lesson already. :blushing:

Thanks for the help Melissa and Girlie!

Oh, and Girlie...back extensions on the Swiss ball are a genius idea!! So smart!
  • girlie100
    Options
    Thanks for the help Melissa and Girlie!

Oh, and Girlie...back extensions on the Swiss ball are a genius idea!! So smart!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Position yourself correctly and you could probably do the YTWL on the swiss ball as well. Never tried it to be fair as I have a bench lol :tongue:
  • melissaw1232
    Options
    Hi my stage 3 ladies!
    Ive been a total slacker! havent worked out since tuesday and I feel very ashamed. Im calling myself out so that I have to get a workout in tonight. thanks for listening. will report back soon.

Yes Nthn..reading while the kiddies are up ends in an epic fail for me and I only have 1!! lol I had the genius idea to order the kindle version of the book :sad: ( not recommended) and my daughter thinks its a toy. lol so i dont have to tell you how that goes
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You did it, Melissa! I often call myself out for motivation, too ;-)

I'll be joining you ladies on this thread on Friday (that's my callout not to take a break between stages). I have my last A and B of stage 2 on Monday and Wednesday.
  • melissaw1232
    Options
    Happy Sunday ladies!
    Yes I did it Chic! Hope to see you on this thread soon :bigsmile:
    Tried the 1arm db snatch and I swear I just dont get the benefits. started at 20,22.5 and 25lbs The momentum of pushing up from the squat sorta takes away from the heaviness of the bell( like in my Kettlebell workouts)

Nthn I did make sure my arms werent wide when i did my rows. :wink: My only Nemisis is the DB single arm overhead squat. I have a love -hate relationship with that dam move. I really feel it in my side and back
    BWM can Kiss it! :sad:

Girlie used my ball for my dumbell presses too! Thanks for the tip
  • NthnButMoonshine
    Options
    Melissa, glad to see you wrangled back your Kindle from the kiddo and got your workout in! Nice work! Man, those lil crumb snatchers sure have sticky fingers. My youngest is always making off with stuff. Worse yet, she has learned to climb onto the couch, so even the back of the couch (which until late was piled deep with "stuff") is no longer a safe haven...hubby's poor remote control. LOL!

Anywho, life has been crazy here lately. Friday I drove a little better than 2 hours up to my sister's neck of the woods. I spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday with her. We met up with our mom and wedding dress shopping for my sister on Saturday. She found a beautiful dress! Sunday, sis and I went paddle boarding on the Callalisa Creek. First time for the both of us. It was freaking awesome!!! It was really, really windy though. So heading down current with the wind was easy, but coming up against the current and against the wind was a bit of a challenge. I was ever so grateful for all the time Id spent in the weight room. I needed all that strength.

I muddled my way through 3A2 today. Not sore from paddling, but still kinda wiped out. Nasty, nasty storm blew in last night. Terrible wind and lightening most of the night. Made for crummy sleep, so not much of a recovery from paddling. I went ahead and did the BWM again, but subbed a second set of regular lunges for the lunge jumps. I managed to tweak my knee doing those lunge jumps on the last go. Although its feeling okay with ice/support for the most part, Im just not willing to risk EVERYTHING to try those jumps yet. Squat jumps werent bad though.

Crap...that was wordy again. Sowwie.

ETA: Chic - Glad to see you over here! Looking forward to you joining us!
  • NthnButMoonshine
    Options
    I think I need to change my name to "Thread Killer". :blushing:

3B2 is done! Halfway finished with Stage 3!
  • chicbuc
    Options
    I'm never going to get here. I've been so lazy! I'm going to do my last A workout tomorrow and my last B on Monday. I suck :(
  • SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Oh... em... gee.

Did A1 of Stage 3 today. In between planks and wood chops I was laying on the floor dying. All these new moves are definitely switching it up for my body. I felt so weak near the end I couldn't do the body weight matrix. I might just do it later when I'm feeling better though.

I'm also pretty overweight so I'm just kind of trucking through the stages. I am getting stronger but I'm probably no where near what the others on this site are at. I'm having amazing results with inches lost and some lbs lost too since Stage 1, so I just do as much as I can.

Doing the one armed dumbbell snatch with a 15 lb dumbbell killed me. The Romanian deadlifts are hard, I had trouble balancing after the first exercise. I did enjoy the bench press a lot.
  • melissaw1232
    Options
    Hi my stage 3 ladies.
    Nthn you arer not a thread killer! lol

I have a confession to make. R U ready? Im quitting New Rules :cry:
    Ive started to have that dread factor with the program and although Ive made amazing gains in strength I feel Ive lost as much in endurance and stamina. and Endurance and stamina workouts are what makes me happy. Ive gone back to a program that Ive had a lot of success with in the past/ 10lb xtreme slimdown a ciruit style workout with Chris Freytag. During this journey I also realize that im a dvd chick at heart. So I see moving on to Cathe's 90 day Sts Program in the new year.

To all my heavy lifters keep lifting. Ill be with you in spirit. Actually Im keeping my heavy Squats and Deadlifts in the rotation cuz I love them so!!!
    Chic and Nthn dont unfriend me! Im still a super supportive pal :flowerforyou:
  • chicbuc
    Options
    I would never delete you, Melissa! Keep on lifting and don't leave this group! You're still lifting! Enjoy your new program and keep us posted!