Stage 3

Options

Replies

• loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Wow. It's been a quiet group over the weekend.

I'm getting back to lifting today after a very long week break. I'm really looking forward to it. Workout 3B for me.
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Finished Stage 3 on Saturday... my shoulders are killing me still... d&*&)*(^()^&* YTWLs!!!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I finished Stage 3 on Saturday too. Those YTWL's are tough! I finished them with 10 lb. dumbbells though.

I also tried holding weight over my head for the back extensions, and could barely finish 6 reps with 5 lb. held overhead. :o
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Sunday afternoon, the gym is pretty dead. Me and my lifting partner are enjoying the workout, but as I was putting the 3 lb weights back after doing YTWLs...

standing right next to the weight rack was a fit-looking female with 20 lb dumbells. I just kept on sauntering with my stupid 3 lb weights, put them in the rack, and walked away. But boy was I annoyed :laugh: I mean, if I'm going to be encountering anyone-- especially anyone other than the usual teenage males-- in the free-weights area, it should be while I'm doing the deadlift-bent-over-row with 60 lbs... amirite?

Anyways, I hope I can get up to using 10 lb dumbells for YTWLs!
  • cpa8198
    Options
    I finished Stage 3 on Saturday too. Those YTWL's are tough! I finished them with 10 lb. dumbbells though.

I also tried holding weight over my head for the back extensions, and could barely finish 6 reps with 5 lb. held overhead. :o

Karen ---
    You are hard core! YTWLs with 10lbs!!! wow!!! I increased mine to 7s... I was grunting by the time I got to the Ls.... :laugh:

I forgot to bring my log to work... I will post my progress tonight or in the morning. See you in Stage 4!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I did a 10k on Sunday so i had a few days break from lifting.. back to Stage 3 - 2A tomorrow! :)
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ah the best laid plans....

So I took Friday night off from lifting, as I didn't want to be sore for my 40 mile bike ride on Saturday. Boo! I ended up getting a stomach bug and pretty much spent the whole weekend on the couch anyway.

I'm feeling about 65% today, and normally would lift. But I'm thinking of leaving it until tomorrow, and just doing a 4-5 mile treadmill walk today. I lost several pounds in water, and barely ate anything all weekend. So I feel like if I lifted today, I wouldn't accomplish much.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Stage 3 starts for me today :)

Quick question. Do you guys miss the squats and deadlifts? I just looked over the A workout and most of it is with dumbbells. Do you feel like you get a really good workout with them? I always beasted on the deadlifts and barbell squats and I'm just worried I wont get a good workout.
  • karensoxfan
    Options

Quick question. Do you guys miss the squats and deadlifts? I just looked over the A workout and most of it is with dumbbells. Do you feel like you get a really good workout with them? I always beasted on the deadlifts and barbell squats and I'm just worried I wont get a good workout.

Yes, I miss back squats. They don't return for awhile. I forget if it's stage 6 or 7 that they come back. Stage 3 has LOTS of variations on both moves though.

Squats: 1-arm snatch, 1-arm overhead squats, and 1-leg partial squats, plus the BWM. :o

Deadlifts: 1-leg romanian (killer!), and romanian DL/bent-over rows.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Karen ---
    You are hard core! YTWLs with 10lbs!!! wow!!! I increased mine to 7s... I was grunting by the time I got to the Ls.... :laugh:

I forgot to bring my log to work... I will post my progress tonight or in the morning. See you in Stage 4!

Thanks cpa. I probably have better form on the YTWL's with 7.5 lb. dumbbells, but I'm definitely pushing hard with the 10's. The T's are hardest for me, but I feel like the Stage 2 cuban snatches made the L's tolerable even though they come at the end. :)
  • cpa8198
    Options
    OK.. end of S3.stats

A:
    1-arm DB snatch: 15 > 25 (left side needs to catch up with right.. 25 got easier for the right, but really struggled with my left)
    DB single leg DL: 30 (2x15) > 50 (2x25)
    BB bent-over row: 45 > 70
    DB OH squat: 6/30 (10/20) > 6/45 (15/30)
    DB incline BP: 6/40 (2x20) > 6/50 (2x25)
    Plank 90 > 90
    RV Wood Chop 6/35 > 6/90
    BWM 2:23 (slowest), 1.55 (fastest)

B:
    BB DL row 45 > 75
    Partial SL squat BW > 50 (2x25)
    WG lat pulldown 60 > 70
    Back extension 10 > 35
    YTWL 12 (2x6) > 14 (2x7)
    Prone Cobra 90 > 90
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Yes, I do miss back squats & deadlifts although I do feel that stage 3 gives me a good workout. I HATED stage 2 and was really glad to see the back of it, really enjoying stage 3 and not looking forward to finishing it - just off to do 3B for the third time now.
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hello all - just started stage 3 this week. Mon did 3A and today 3B. Due to vacations, illness and general summer chaos I took a much longer break between stage 2 and 3 so I had to drop down in weight some but I really am liking stage 3 so far. I dropped to only 3 lbs for those YTWL's but I figured form was more important in those than numbers. I am NOT really digging those partial one leg squats. I had knee surgery about 1 yr ago so I am just going to take those easy and not stress. Looking forward to learning from all of you guys!
  • hypallage
    Options
    donnavj - I'm not overly struck on the partial one leg squats either, my knees don't love things like that. I have found doing them off a step (unweighted) to be the best plan - I casn certainly feel it but it isn't hurting my knees.

I finished workout A, so here are my start/end stats: (strange numbers as converted from kg)

one-arm OH snatch: 6.6-->19.8 lb. (probably could have gone higher though :-/)
    DB 1-leg Romanian DL: 6.6-->27.5 lb. - not sure about the balance on this one
    barbell bent-over row: 90.2-->115.5lb.
    1-arm OH squat: 6.6/17.6-->13.2/27.5 lb.
    DB incline bench press: 35.2-->66 lb. (2x17.6 --> 2x33)
    Plank: longest 2x45-->longest 90 (x3).
    Reverse woodchop: 13.2-->24.2 lb.

BWM didn't really improve but was never longer than 3 mins to start with - not sure it got any easier on my legs at all though!!

Karen - very impressed on YTWL with 10lb dumbbells - wow!!
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a lot of people disappointed in their YTWL weights. I thought I'd pop my head in and try to reassure you. This exercise is not a deltoid (shoulder) exercise primarily, so you shouldn't be thinking that you could do the same types of weight as for the military press or other shoulder presses. It is almost entirely rotator cuff. INSIDE your shoulder are four tiny muscles that have to work together to be able to move your shoulder around in its socket without injury. It is hard to train these muscles, so most don't bother and end up with a shoulder injury later on. I was really pleased to see these in this workout plan for that reason. In terms of weight (I was once a personal trainer), most women should be thrilled if they can do these with a filled water bottle. The fact that you ladies are doing 5, 7,5, and 10 pounds is INCREDIBLE! So, way to go! And don't underestimate the importance of these...for things like the clean and press, and particularly the snatch, your rotator cuff muscles are a critical piece of the puzzle. They're just so tiny!
  • TikiTanya
    TikiTanya Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting about YTWL's Joanne I needed to hear that. I was feeling so wimpy all of a sudden. Great explanation
  • hypallage
    Options
    Finished 3B today...
    here are my stats: (strange numbers as converted from kg)
    Barbell Romanian Deadlift/ row: 90.2 lbs --> 132lb (failed on the last one of the third set though)
    Partial Single Leg Squat: bw
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown: 56.3 lbs -->123.2lb / 107.8lb (half the set at heavier weight, the machine increases by 15.4lb)
    Back Extension: - on swiss ball
    YTWL: - 2x4.4lb dumbbells --> 2x8.8lb dumbbells
    Prone Cobra: - 2 x 45 --> 90

Off to stage 4 for me......
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Finished 3B today...
    here are my stats: (strange numbers as converted from kg)
    Barbell Romanian Deadlift/ row: 90.2 lbs --> 132lb (failed on the last one of the third set though)
    Partial Single Leg Squat: bw
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown: 56.3 lbs -->123.2lb / 107.8lb (half the set at heavier weight, the machine increases by 15.4lb)
    Back Extension: - on swiss ball
    YTWL: - 2x4.4lb dumbbells --> 2x8.8lb dumbbells
    Prone Cobra: - 2 x 45 --> 90

Off to stage 4 for me......

Nice numbers!!! Are you taking a rest week, or going straight to stage 4 next week?
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    When you guys do the deadlift/row combo did you start with the same weight you've been deadlifting? I don't know if I can do a row with 155 or not.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    When you guys do the deadlift/row combo did you start with the same weight you've been deadlifting? I don't know if I can do a row with 155 or not.

No, I had to use less weight than my deadlift, and less than I could row on the seated row. If you can deadlift 155, I'd suggest trying the DL/row at 95 (45 lb. bar + a 25 lb. plate on each side), and incease from there if it feels too easy, or reduce if it's too hard.