Excess Skin Forum (Surgery or Body Image)

Options
I know many WLS patients have excess skin that needs to be removed. If you are contemplating or have already had excess skin removal surgery please use this forum to share your experiences and to ask any questions to members regarding this matter.

How many of you are struggling with body image issues because of excess skin? I know this is an issue for many of us, so use this forum to discuss any issues regarding excess skin.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Replies

• MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    MY BODY IMAGE ISSUES COULD FILL VOLUMES AS I'M SURE YOU KNOW MsMOLLIE. I'M SURPRISED AT HOW SKIN THAT WAS NOT TOO BAD IN THE BEGINING HAS SAGGED OVER THE YEAR SINCE REACHING GOAL. THIS IN SPITE OF SOME BLASTED RE-GAIN.

I WON'T CONSIDER PLASTIC SURGERY UNTIL I'VE STAYED FIVE POUNDS UNDER GOAL FOR AT LEAST SIX MONTHS. BUT, I FANTASIZE ABOUT WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE TO HAVE THE FLAB TIGHTENED. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN FAT BUT NEVER BEFORE FLABBY.

THE FAT ALWAYS COVERED GOOD FIRM MUSCLE TONE. NOW THE SKIN IS MORE VISIBLE THAN THE MUSCLE. I LIKE HAVING ALWAYS LOOKED FIT REGARDLESS OF MY SIZE. I'M NOT TRYING TO LOOK LIKE A TEEN BUT I WISH MY SMALLER BODY SHOWED THE MUSCLE TONE.
  • Simona38
    Simona38 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The only thing that really makes me self conscious and that I'd consider having removed are my bat wings. Let me tell ya...on a windy day, I could take flight! I've always hated them. I NEVER wear anything short sleeved or sleeveless.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    HATED the bat wings!! As soon as I got to goal, I got them clipped. I love love love my arms now. This past summer I got a lower body lift and breast lift. My thighs are still a mess, but I'm not sure I'll ever get them done. I'm pretty happy with my body now. Scars and all.
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would love to have my lower stomach and boobs done... I went for a free consultation and was told it will cost 24,000 plus... I am trying to figure out how I can get it done where it is not cosmetic... Ugghhh!!!
  • vdegraff
    vdegraff Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My bat wings are not from excess skin. I've always had huge flabby arms. I hate them. I work out my arms every morning!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,370 Member
    Options
    HATED the bat wings!! As soon as I got to goal, I got them clipped. I love love love my arms now. This past summer I got a lower body lift and breast lift. My thighs are still a mess, but I'm not sure I'll ever get them done. I'm pretty happy with my body now. Scars and all.

Hello,
    Why did you not get your thighs done? Because that is what I would need done. By arms are not good but I could live with them.
  • Laura8603
    Options

Hello,
    Why did you not get your thighs done? Because that is what I would need done. By arms are not good but I could live with them.

Pain, healing is tougher, cost, recovery time, etc. Lots of reasons not to. And I look pretty good in clothes, even with the scary thighs. So I will live with them.
  • Laura8603
    Options

Hello,

Pain, healing is tougher, cost, recovery time, etc. Lots of reasons not to. And I look pretty good in clothes, even with the scary thighs. So I will live with them.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,370 Member
    Options

Hello,

Thanks Laura,
    That is what I thought. That is why I backed off too. Heard it was more risky also and I don't take blood transfusion.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I want to get a body lift, arms, and breast done.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I want to get my boobs done, a lower body lift, and a butt augmentation.
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm scheduled for a tummy tuck on Jan.3rd, I'm terrified to the point of canceling, but I really hate my stomach, I swear it make me look 30 or 40 pounds heavier.
  • erinacarpenter
    Options
    I desperately want a 360 belt done the tummy tuck and but lift but I really want to be much closer to my goal weight of 150. I hate my body just as much now at 244 as I did when I was almost 400 pounds. :frown:
  • shandylynn
    Options
    I am already noticing excess skin and flabbiness after 50 pounds lost. (Although I've always been flabby). The most distressing part is related to intimacy with my husband. He swears he doesn't care, but it definitely bothers me a lot. I will definitely consider at least a tummy tuck and boob lift after I get to goal.

I work in a Women's Health department at a hospital and care for GYN surgical patients. We now have a general/plastic surgeon who does tummy tucks after our OB/GYN completes hysterectomies. They still have to pay for the surgery, but the hospitalization/anesthesia is covered by insurance for the hysterectomy. I've heard of women doing something similar when having a breast reduction. They would add in a tummy tuck and have reduced cost due to insurance paying for the breast reduction part.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Why dont you believe him Shandylynn? if he loves you all the same then you should believe that.

Im a bit flabby too and my husband is still bonkers for me, I have no reason to think that he's lying when he tells me he dotes on me. So why should you hun? Youre denying yourself fun and loving from the man you adore.

xx
  • shandylynn
    Options
    Oh it's not that I don't believe him. It's kind of like having a huge zit on your nose and someone telling you it's not noticable, when it obviously is. He loves me and supports me and totally doesn't care.

I don't deprive myself or him, I just don't "feel" attractive and have to make a conscious effort to NOT think about the flabby skin.
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    HI WLS FOLKS!

MY SKIN ISSUES ARE EMERGING AFTER A YEAR'S DELAY. SURPRISE, SURPRISE, I THOUGHT I HAD ESCAPED THE WORST OF IT.

I WAS NEVER FLABBY IN SPITE OF MY GIRTH. I'VE ALWAYS WORKED OUT AND HAD WELL TONED FAT COVERED MUSCLES. SKIN WHICH WAS NOT BAD AT FIRST IS SUCCUMBING TO THE FORCES OF GRAVITY A YEAR LATER.

LAST SUMMER ALL WAS PRETTY FIRM CONSIDERING AGE AND WEIGHT LOSS. ADMITTEDLY I HAVE NOT PAMPERED IT DAILY AS I DID WHILE I WAS STILL LOOSING. STILL, I AM SURPRISED THAT IN SPITE OF NO MORE WEIGHT LOSS, MY SKIN LOOKS MORE SLACK AND MY WELL TONED MUSCLE IS NO LONGER AS VISIBLE.

ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS DELAYED SAGGING?
  • prbyjennyd
    prbyjennyd Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!! I have the hugest, most disgusting bat wings EVER!!!!! I hate them!! It is all I think about in the summer. Wearing a bathing suit is a fate worse than death for me!!! My mom and I had the vertical sleeve together (8/2010), and we both suffer from the nasty arms. Together, we lost over 300 lbs between the 2 of us, and we look great in clothes, but please don't ever ask to see what is underneath, lol!!!

I have heard that getting them "clipped" if very painful. Which is one reason that I haven't had it done, besides the cost. Can anyone verify or weigh in on the discomfort level of recuperating? I have had 2 c-sections, and the wls of course, and recovery from the vertical sleeve was way worse than the c-sections. I am a whoose, and not afraid to admit it!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS DELAYED SAGGING?
    It's possible you have continued to lose fat or it's redistributed even if your weight remained the same. (If you lost fat and are the same weight, you gained muscle to replace it.)

My weight doesn't change dramatically but in the summer when I'm working out intensely, my skin gets very loose.