What part of Charlotte?

Options
Qarol
Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
I live in Rock Hill, actually. But I work uptown. When I go into the office. I work from home 3 days a week, usually. I take the light rail when I do commute. It gives me time to read and avoid that mess they call 77.

I love living here. It's quite rural. I pass horses and cows to get to my house. It's quiet. I have no HOA. I'm not even in the city limits, technically. I'm in the Lesslie area. Every so often, it's a pain being so far from everyone. But husband and I stay home a lot, so it works.

When I first moved to Charlotte, I lived in University area. If any of you care to, let us know what part of the Queen City you live in. What do you like about it? Dislike?

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I live near Huntersville and work Uptown. I’m hoping to be able to work from home within the next year, but can’t just yet (I’m so much more productive when I work from home). I’m originally from PA, so I love the warmer climate here, I’m excited for them to finish 485 to the north and get that light rail put in so that I can use that instead of sitting in traffic every day. I try to get to work by 730 and leave by 445 to avoid the cluster.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm in the University area.

I'm feeling really negative about this place (not really this place, but it's where I am living right now) because I feel like I'm going backwards instead of forwards...and am strongly considering moving (again) in August (or sooner...my lease is up in August).

:::sigh::: hopefully things look up soon.

AND to make this not so much of a down post lol....I like how there's a Bojangles on every corner :P
  • queenofhearts83
    Options
    I'm in South Charlotte, near Carowinds. I transferred down for work from New Jersey in July.
  • SugarBaby1987
    SugarBaby1987 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I live in the university area near N. Tryon & 485. I like it but I am ready to get out of Charlotte mainly b/c of the school system. I have four kids under four, and our goal is to be out of here before my oldest starts kindergarten.
  • Mmmary212
    Options
    I live in the university area near N. Tryon & 485. I like it but I am ready to get out of Charlotte mainly b/c of the school system. I have four kids under four, and our goal is to be out of here before my oldest starts kindergarten.

I hear you on that. I have 3/4 of my kids in the schools here and I'm still wondering how they call these schools. If I had the means (meaning, I could stay home), I would most definitely home school.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I hear you on that. I have 3/4 of my kids in the schools here and I'm still wondering how they call these schools. If I had the means (meaning, I could stay home), I would most definitely home school.

Yeah, my son is 2 and we're already looking into when we can start applying to the various charter school lotteries. The good news is that my DH works with teenagers and most of them are doing very well in the public school system, so that gives me some hope if we don't get into one of the charters.
  • Mmmary212
    Options
    What frustrated me the most is my child comes home with handwritten and xeroxed copies of math homework assignments. I understand teachers dont have a lot of money to spend or time...but come on, this is america, not siberia. Can you not type out or find a printout to give to the kids? And it wasn't even written neatly.

and homework assignments with little to no instructions.....I dont expect a 7 year old to remember everything they're told in class....teachers, please include written instructions with the nearly blank homework page.

I cannot stand the method they teach math now....and expect parents who learned the "right" way to help kids when we have no clue what they're doing. Bankers box? WTF?

The schools losing my children by putting them on the wrong bus....or having the bus delayed an hour....and no one bothers to inform me.

I guess I compare my kids education to my education...and I find it puzzling that they arent learning just basics that I knew about at their various ages. I feel like I'm having to supplement just the basics....like where the states are, for example. I had states and capitals known by 4 grade. My 6th and 4th grader...knew none (until I printed out maps and we're working on it).
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    The Mecklenburg school system was part of the many reasons we decided to live in York County.
  • Mmmary212
    Options
    I've debated on whether to move to Cabarrus county....but I donno, I don't care for Concord. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.
  • charlotte3176
    charlotte3176 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I live in Gastonia. We lived in the University area before moving here.
  • JeannieFo
    JeannieFo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am in east Charlotte, near 485 and Harrisburg Rd. It's kind of in between Mint Hill and Harrisburg. I love my house and my development because it is a much more mature development (over 50 years old) than most places in Charlotte. However, my side of town is severely lacking in restaurants and shopping. One of these days in the future (I think 2014) development on a new hospital at 485 and Albemarle Rd is supposed to start so I hoping that will bring a little more life to the area.

I work uptown as well, in the new Duke Energy Center.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I live in Rock Hill, actually. But I work uptown. When I go into the office. I work from home 3 days a week, usually. I take the light rail when I do commute. It gives me time to read and avoid that mess they call 77.

I love living here. It's quite rural. I pass horses and cows to get to my house. It's quiet. I have no HOA. I'm not even in the city limits, technically. I'm in the Lesslie area. Every so often, it's a pain being so far from everyone. But husband and I stay home a lot, so it works.

When I first moved to Charlotte, I lived in University area. If any of you care to, let us know what part of the Queen City you live in. What do you like about it? Dislike?

I also live in Rock Hill and work in uptown. I take the bus from Rock Hill so I get some relax time as its an 55 mins.
  • Ctorj
    Ctorj Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I live in Ballantyne. Work is only a 10 minute drive away in South Charlotte and I don't have to deal with the traffic so life is good. :-)
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm in SE Charlotte, near Matthews/Weddinton line! Like the area, hate the traffic!! I work in uptown, so the commute can be interesting :mad: most days
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm in SE Charlotte, near Matthews/Weddinton line! Like the area, hate the traffic!! I work in uptown, so the commute can be interesting :mad: most days

I grew up right there. My parents still live there off Chestnut Lane. I can't believe how bad the traffic is around there now.
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I live in Mint Hill.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I'm in the SW area not far from Carowinds. I stay home with my kids, youngest is almost 20 months and the older one just turned 4 and is in preschool 4 days a week.
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    I live in Belmont in gaston County area. I was born in Charlotte and lived there most of my life it isnt a bad place to live but it isnt what it use to be either. As far as living in the South to me there is no better place to live. The weather is great and the people are great too. I do work in Charlotte but live in Gaston County. :smile:
  • lisaclaudine
    lisaclaudine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I live in Gastonia, out by Crowders Mtn and have an 8 month old boy. Trying to get healthy for him. Had a very tough pregnancy and have lost 60+ lbs....still 15-20 to go and its getting hard!
  • TRIMoses59
    TRIMoses59 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I live right out side of Mecklenburg county in Mt. Holly. It takes me about 15 mins. to get downtown Charlotte. I am an EMT in Gaston County so I travel to Charlotte a lot.