Prevent the Binges!

Options
hush7hush
hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
I know that the BEST way to prevent binges, is obviously to make sure you don't get exposed to the binge-triggering foods; but I think another good way to prevent the binging is to keep yourself busy.

What are some things you do to keep yourself from over-eating?

I like to:
-Dance
-Go for a walk.
-Read.
-Watch "I Used to Be Fat"
-Go Shopping! (this is my favourite one)

Anyone have anything good to add to the list? :)

Replies

• breskittle
    breskittle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If I can't get up and go out/walking around (I'm stuck at a desk job all night) then I drink Green Tea! I'm usually not hungry by the time I get down a large cup of hot tea! I love it.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If you live with somebody, tell them when you feel one coming, they might be able to help distract you.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I need to use some of these!

But when I'm feeling "hungry" (which is really when I'm feeling bored, stressed, lonely, or otherwise emotional), I like to go to sleep to prevent myself from bingeing. I love sleep, and can't seem to get enough, lol.
  • hush7hush
    Options
    I wish I could fall asleep! Hah.

My go-to solution is to workout. I've noticed that my binges always happen when my gym is closed. :(
  • hush7hush
    Options
    In case anyone cares to read this article I came across: http://www.positivityblog.com/index.php/2008/08/26/7-helpful-tips-to-stop-binge-eating/
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    That is a great article! Thanks for posting it for us.

I've been doing a little better this week; at least trying to keep my eating within my allotted calories. Double workout day really helped, lol.
  • lemorncutt
    Options
    I totally agree with everyone!!! Especially water does the trick for me, water water water. Other than that so the things that you absolutely enjoy such as shopping !!! A fav for women out there. Watching tv makes me feel more vunerable to binge coz I tend to mindlessly munch on things unhealthily.
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Sleep, music, walk, try to study or read. Most of the time i'll stop drop and binge anyway. :( Working on it. Today was really good.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    the 'best' way to avoid a binge is normalized eating. hmmmmm it only took 15 years for me to figure that out by the way lol. the worst thing you can do is restrict.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Announcement:

Please note I have posted a monthly conversation thread for us: See link below and please share because we are not alone in this struggle with binge eating:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654612-be-support-group-conversation-thread-2012
  • kellyymaee
    Options
    These tips are helpful, thanks.

I have another question, though. I'm living by myself for the summer so I cook and eat dinner by myself most nights after work. I tend to eat in front of the TV since I have no one else eating with me. I just breaks up the silence. I know I shouldn't eat in front of the tube, but I've gotten into the habit. And it's leading to binges because I don't really think about/enjoy what I'm eating.

Any thoughts? Should I just eat my dinner at the table in silence?
  • 76pounds
    76pounds Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I go on Myfitnesspal to see others and it makes me not want to binge anymore lmfao.
    :)
  • recoveryisbeautiful
    Options
    I find that if I start the day by exercising, I don't binge. Also it helps to have some flavored drink with you all the time =)