WLS - November / December Daily Conversation Thread

Options
Hello,

It is my hope you use this thread to get to know each other better and have a safe place to motivate one another daily, weekly. This group will be what you all make of it. So let's talk peeps.

You can do it!

Mollie

Replies

• GenieM0119
    GenieM0119 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello Ms. Moillie...thank you for being here and thank you for reaching out. Having someone who understands where you have been is always a help in where you're trying to go.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Hello Ms. Moillie...thank you for being here and thank you for reaching out. Having someone who understands where you have been is always a help in where you're trying to go.

Hi Genie,

Welcome! Glad to see you. I am proud of you for continuing to get back up. You know me. Success is never giving up!!

Have a great day!
  • unicornbeauty
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a good day. Today I'm tired only a couple more days to adding purees to my diet!
  • SapphireJade
    Options
    Unicornbeauty It is hard especially threw the beginning the purees where hard for me, I wanted nothing more than solid food but as i found myself wanting it more it was hard and I ended up still purring for a while after my puree time was up. my stomach was sensitive and it would not handle it. take it slow and best of luck.

also you will find as each day passes you will become less tired.
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    THANKS MsMOLLIE! I WAS HOPING YOU WOULD START A WLS GROUP.

WE ARE IN DIFFERENT STAGES AFTER ALL TYPES OF PROCEDURES. I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO SHARING THE KNOWLEDGE AND STRENGTHENING EACH OTHER'S RESOLVE.
  • MSWDiet
    Options
    I'M PLANNING FOR THE HOLIDAYS. HAVE YOU GIVEN IT ANY THOUGHT? I'M IN MAINTENANCE SO IF YOU ARE A NEWBIE THIS IS NOT FOR YOU.

FOR ME THE PLAN IS PAY T FORWARD. THIS IS MY THIRD POST OP HOLIDAY SEASON AND AGAIN I AM CUTTING BACK SO THAT I CAN INDULGE, WITHIN REASON OF COURSE, OVER THE THANKSGIVING WEEKEND. FIRST I CALCULATE MY CALORIE NEEDS FOR THE EXTRAS. THIS INCLUDES FOODS THAT WILL HAVE MORE FAT AND CARBS THAN WHAT I NORMALLY EAT, PARTY PLATTERS, AND ALCOHOL. NEXT I DIVIDE THE EXTRA CALORIES OVER A NUMBER OF DAYS. THEN I REDUCE MY FOOD AND INCREASE MY EXERCISE ACCORDINGLY.

AFTER THE HOLIDAY IF MY CALORIE AVERAGE IS ABOVE MY NEEDS I CUT BACK UNTIL I AM BACK ON TRACK. YOU CAN TREAT YOURSELF TO HOLIDAY FARE WITHOUT WEIGHT GAIN (OR SLOWING WEIGHT LOSS) IF YOU PLAN WELL.

A WORD OF CAUTION: IF THERE IS A TRIGGER FOOD ON THE TABLE LEAVE IT ALONE. ITS ABOUT MORE THAN CALORIES. TRIGGER FOODS CONTROL US AND NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. NO AMOUNT OF PLANNING CAN MAKE UP FOR THE INABILITY TO STOP EATING WHERE SOME FOODS ARE CONCERRNED. WLS REDUCES HOW MUCH DAMAGE YOU CAN DO BUT IT WILL NOT PROTECT YOU FROM YOURSELF.
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all I am gonna make this a day where I am moving supplementing and eating right. God is good and this will work with the effort on my part.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    My name is Crystal and after many years of debate (because I was so young and didn't want sugary) I had the duodenal switch gastric bypass surgery. It wasn't my first decision but being at the time 28 and the doctors looking me in the face and saying you need to loose the weight or you will be dead in a couple years was a real eye opener. I had been morbidly obese all my life. Even though I was active and never ate much. The harder I tried to loose weight the more I gained due to soo many health problems i had it made it impossible for me to loose weight. So last year May 6, 2010 I went in and I had the sugary. I have lost about 160lbs. I am having an extremely hard time with a lot of mental fights. I told myself I would be happy with my weight and if I lost 50lbs. When I reached my goal I looked in the mirror and i wasn't and it has been a big fight i keep hitting my goals and that mirror just is not showing me anything i want to see. Right now I want to get down to 145 to 150. but another part I am fighting with my self about is loosing that much weight as fast as I have, i have all the loose hanging skin/fat that is still there I work my butt off trying to loose it but my inner thighs, my arms, and my stomach just has soo much extra i want to cry. I am not sure if it is the pounds i am worried soo much about as...much as if that extra "hanging" wasn't there if i would be happy with the way i look.

but i am still reaching for my goal and just need the support of "friends" who know what i am going threw, who can say "yes" i know what you mean. Not just cause you want to make me feel better but because, you are going threw this yourself.

I myself, i am a very quite shy person and after everything i have been threw in my life this is the first time i am truly looking for a support group and looking for help. I have bad anxiety, depression, and insomnia. So if i am quite on the forms i am sorry i am going to try to do my best i am just new to not just this site but also interacting online on public forums.

Hi Crystal,

I was very moved by this post. It is very hard to seek support when you are shy. But support is so important when stuggling with as much as we struggle with. I see you are having body image issues. I started to send you a private email but decided to post here because I am sure there are many in our group suffering with body image issues and excess skin.

I also struggled with body image issues after my WLS in 2004. It has taken hard work for me to love this new body I am in. I have looked into excess skin surgeries but will not be able to afford. So I had to come to terms with excess skin. Maybe one day I will have excess skin removed but until then it is important for me and you to accept ourselves as is and even love the new person you have become. It is possible. Is it easy? No it is not but start taking baby steps to appreciate the new Crystal.

Please keep in mind even though you are not completely satisfied with your new body, you are so much healthier now. Public forms are good sometimes but I am currently in an eating disorder program and when I wrap that up I will be seeing a therpist who specializes in eating disorders.
  • lbencomo
    lbencomo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    HI everyone my name is LaDarla and I had gastric bypass on 10/11 this year and I am down from surgery day 37 lbs and from May 2010 I am down 75 lbs. I am putting a challenge out there to anyone that wants to join me at least 10 lbs by christmas, thats just 2 lbs a week. We can keep each other motivated and if anyone wants to friend me just shoot me a message or if you just want to join the challenge shoot me a message. What a great christmas gift to yourself (10 lbs closer to your goal).
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    HI everyone my name is LaDarla and I had gastric bypass on 10/11 this year and I am down from surgery day 37 lbs and from May 2010 I am down 75 lbs. I am putting a challenge out there to anyone that wants to join me at least 10 lbs by christmas, thats just 2 lbs a week. We can keep each other motivated and if anyone wants to friend me just shoot me a message or if you just want to join the challenge shoot me a message. What a great christmas gift to yourself (10 lbs closer to your goal).

Congrats on your new life!!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 years out from gastric bypass surgery (HW: 340, GW: 140). Last year during the holiday season I gained 10 pounds. Holy crap it really freaked me out so this year I am determined not to go above my goal weight. right now I'm 3 pounds below goal with the hopes of losing one or two more before Thanksgiving so I don't have to worry about what I eat. Then I'll cut back again between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm feeling much more confident about being able to maintain my weight now.
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to grip my weight of 170-160 I am 5'3... I started at 270 presurgery, 260 lost 83lbs, I was 22lbs away from 100lbs. I went back up to 204 now down 13lbs and current weight 193 -192 fluctuating, 7 away from my 83lbs again. However, it seems as though the only way i can make it, is to stay on this 1000 cal diet the dietitian has put me on.. This is really hard and overwhelming... mentally I want to eat more just because I don't feel like any adult should only consume 1000 calories. I had four toes broke and had to go back this passed Tuesday for a revision. I am unable to workout and this is the pits... I really need help!!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to grip my weight of 170-160 I am 5'3... I started at 270 presurgery, 260 lost 83lbs, I was 22lbs away from 100lbs. I went back up to 204 now down 13lbs and current weight 193 -192 fluctuating, 7 away from my 83lbs again. However, it seems as though the only way i can make it, is to stay on this 1000 cal diet the dietitian has put me on.. This is really hard and overwhelming... mentally I want to eat more just because I don't feel like any adult should only consume 1000 calories. I had four toes broke and had to go back this passed Tuesday for a revision. I am unable to workout and this is the pits... I really need help!!!

Hi Meka,

Well I am learning a lot about body image in my ED program and I think you look good at current weight and that if you need to restrict to 1000 calories it may cause you to have a eating disorder. Note I said may. You are doing fine maintaining your weight at current weight and you know that is attainable with out unrealistic eating patterns. Eating a 1000 calories a day is a diet and diets do not work. Even if you got to 160 to 170 range is this something you will be able to maintain for life? Meaning is 1000 calories a day something you can maintain for life. That is the only way you will stay at 160 to 170 if you get to that weight and probably an obsessive amount of exercise too. These are questions you will need to consider.

If you are happy at your size now, I say keep trying with reasonable and normalized eating, Because unless you can keep doing 1000 calories for life then the likely hood of you keeping your weight off is not likely.

I love your new profile picture and you are too fine at current weight. I personally think you can eat 1500 to 1600 calores with 45 min of exercise 4 to 5 days a week and that is something you may can maintain for life. Even doing 35 to 45 min of exercise 5 to 6 days a week. 1000 calories is just not something you can sustain for life. Therefore there will be regain and that is why diets fail. I was appauled when I heard a dietican told you to do 1000. calories.

Hope this helps.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I'm 3 years out from gastric bypass surgery (HW: 340, GW: 140). Last year during the holiday season I gained 10 pounds. Holy crap it really freaked me out so this year I am determined not to go above my goal weight. right now I'm 3 pounds below goal with the hopes of losing one or two more before Thanksgiving so I don't have to worry about what I eat. Then I'll cut back again between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm feeling much more confident about being able to maintain my weight now.

You can do it Laura. This means you learned from your experience last year. Keep up the good work! I know it is hard work to maintain.
  • MSWDiet
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I'M GOING TO BE BLUNT. YOUR NUTRITIONIST IN MY OPINION IS SETTING YOU UP FOR FAILURE. TAKE WHAT YOU WANT AND DISCARD THE REST. OR, IGNORE ME COMPLETELY. OR, TELL ME TO HEAD STRAIGHT FOR HELL.

I DON'T KNOW HOW FAR POST OP YOU ARE OR YOUR PROCEDURE; HOWEVER, THIS DOES NOT SOUND LIKE A REALISTIC LONG TERM PLAN WITH OR WITHOUT EXERCISE. WE HAVE TO CHANGE OUR DIETS FOR LIFE AFTER WLS. I ACCEPT THAT I AM ON A DIET FOR LIFE BEING NEARLY THREE YEARS OUT FROM RNY. BUT THIS THOUSAND CALORIE PLAN YOU'VE BEEN GIVEN IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF WHY DIETS FAIL AND FAT PEOPLE OFTEN FIND NUTRITIONISTS WORTHLESS. JUST MY LESS THAN HUMBLE OPINION.

THE BMR (BASAL METABOLIC RATE) FOR A 30 YEAR OLD 5'3" FEMALE IS ABOUT 1450 CALORIES. HER PLAN HAS YOU ON TWO THIRDS OF WHAT IS REQUIRED FOR LIFE SUPPORT. CALCULATORS VARY, BUT ASSUMING A NORMAL METABOLISM AND SEDENTARY LIFESTYLE, YOU WOULD NEED 1400 CAL FOR FAT LOSS AND 1360 CAL FOR MORE RAPID FAT LOSS.

YES I'M BITTER BECAUSE THE NUTRITIONISTS IN MY SURGEON'S PRACTICE WERE EQUALLY USELESS. I HAD TO GET ON LINE, DO MY HOMEWORK AND FIND MY OWN WAY SINCE THREE MONTHS POST OP. EVERY POST OP PLAN DOES NOT WORK WELL FOR EVERY PATIENT YET NUTRITIONISTS AND DOCTORS ALL SEEM TO HAVE JUST ONE.

EXTREMELY LOW CALORIES CAN KILL YOUR METABOLISM. THIS IS WHY REGAIN IS SO COMMON AFTER EXTREME DIETS. THE EXTREME LOW CAL DIET FOR WLS NEWBIESIS NOT MEANT TO BE FOR LIFE. THE EARLY LOW CAL DAYS GIVES US THE JUMP START WE NEED HAVING SO MUCH WEIGHT TO LOOSE. IT ALSO ALLOWS THE BODY TIME TO HEAL. IT IS NOT A LIFE PLAN.

MOST OF US WILL HAVE TO EAT LESS THAN THOSE WHO WERE NEVER OBESE TO MAINTAIN THE SAME WEIGHT BUT WE STILL NEED TO CONSUME REAL FOOD IN REASONABLE AMOUNTS. TAKE FULL CHARGE OF YOUR DIET FOR LIFE. DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND FIND YOUR "RIGHT" EATING PLAN. FIGURE OUT WHAT FOODS WORK BEST FOR YOUR WEIGHT LOSS, METABOLISM, AND OTHER FOOD RELATED ISSUES. DO NOT ALLOW THIS DIETITION TO BRING YOU DOWN.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I have been on a plateau for five weeks. I hope to break it soon. My goal is to get to 199 pounds by Christmas. I need to drop 13 pounds.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I have been on a plateau for five weeks. I hope to break it soon. My goal is to get to 199 pounds by Christmas. I need to drop 13 pounds.

You can do it Kelly! Have you tried mixing up your exercise? Increasing intensity? I know you do Zumba. Do you do anything else? If you are at a high intensity already, maybe you should lower your intensity. 5 weeks is a true plauteu.
  • ColemanM
    Options
    Greetings everyone! It is nice to see a group for WLS patients. My name is Mindi, I am 2 1/2 years post op from my Realize Gastric Banding. I have lost 111 pounds and am teeter tottering now. Things are getting harder, and the motivation is not as strong as it once was. I am trying really hard to get back on track as I still have a ways to go in my eyes. Regardless of where I am at and what my current struggles are I would like to take a minute and give thanks to all the good that everyone has done and continues to do. Being aware is the first step to success on this journey. I am thankful for being aware, thankful for my accomplishments in the past 2 1/2 years, thankful for having wonderful friends and family to support me in everything I do and thankful that I found a tool that has helped me become a healthier person. I hope that all of you can find the things to be thankful for this year as we continue on this journey. Happy Holidays everyone.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Greetings everyone! It is nice to see a group for WLS patients. My name is Mindi, I am 2 1/2 years post op from my Realize Gastric Banding. I have lost 111 pounds and am teeter tottering now. Things are getting harder, and the motivation is not as strong as it once was. I am trying really hard to get back on track as I still have a ways to go in my eyes. Regardless of where I am at and what my current struggles are I would like to take a minute and give thanks to all the good that everyone has done and continues to do. Being aware is the first step to success on this journey. I am thankful for being aware, thankful for my accomplishments in the past 2 1/2 years, thankful for having wonderful friends and family to support me in everything I do and thankful that I found a tool that has helped me become a healthier person. I hope that all of you can find the things to be thankful for this year as we continue on this journey. Happy Holidays everyone.

Welcome Mindi!! Congrats on 111 pounds lost thus far! Good job!
  • jfbower
    jfbower Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Found out right before Thanksgiving that my insurance approved my GS surgery and the doctors office has scheduled me for 24 January 2012. I needed to lose 12.5 lbs before then and I have lost 10.2lbs so far. MFP has been the best tool in getting this weight off. Thanks everyone for your support!