My first marathon

Options
2»

Replies

• JasonandMichelle
    Options
    I know there are a thousand threads about this, and I've read most to all, but I wanted the experiences of the marathon group to help me out.

I'm currently trying to lose weight (I've lost about 25 pounds and I need to shed another 25), but I'm also training for a marathon. I find that the days when I don't run (rest or X-Train) I tend to be extremely hungry, but I don't have as many calories to consume in my food budget. The days I run (or at least run long), I can't eat back all my calories.

At the end of the day, my question is this: at what point should I worry more about training and less about weight loss? At some point, fueling with 1320 calories on off days and loading on run days just won't cut it.

Thoughts?
  • asherama
    Options
    I ran my first marathon 7 weeks ago. I lost 12kg (25lb) during the 6 months leading up. Would have liked another 10lb off... will get there for no 2 in May.

It's a real balancing act trying to get the nutrition and energy while at the same time losing weight. You really need to make sure that you get the necessary nutrients to build and repair your body. Don't be overly concerned with the numbers on a recovery day. The afterburn effect means that you will be burning calories throughout the next day following an intense workout. You may also have depleted your glycogen stores and some carbs will be used to restore them rather than being stored as fat. You also need to be aware that your weight will fluctuate - when your glycogen stores are high you'll retain more water. You'll use both in your next workout, which is more likely to be a good one. One thing that I didn't practise in the lead up and would recommend was carb loading. Gave myself an upset stomach on race morning.
  • finnishfemme
    Options
    Hi MissFit and Gilliamzoo, I'm planning on running the OC Marathon and it will be my 1st as well. I'm so excited I joined this group!