Gryffindor Common Room

Options

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

What are you all doing?

That site is interesting. I've just used MFP's goals for myself since the beginning, but according to that site I should be at closer to 90g of protein per day. I found another article about protein that agreed with the amount of protein versus body weight as your article claimed, and it said that over 30% protein is considered high-protein and could be dangerous without the proper balance (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900). I found a WebMD slide show about protein, and it also said between 10-15% protein is normal (http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-high-protein-diet).

Both of the sites with formulas say I should have a little over 90g of protein per day, but that's closer to 20% of my intake. MFP has it set at 15%, but that's only a little over 70g for me. I think I need to work on eating my veggies more consistently, because I've been terrible about it for awhile now, so I'm going to keep my protein where MFP puts it and challenge myself to eat my veggies instead of increasing my protein.

Perhaps it's adjusted for weight loss, like the calorie deficit? I think the 15% feels more reasonable for me :)

Veganbaum, I think you did exactly what you should have. You informed yourself and made a decision based on what you found. It's all about becoming informed and experimenting with what works for our bodies, anyways, right? :) You're off to a great start for the week!

Yeah, I think some people on here may go on about protein because they workout a lot - and by that I mean they're runners and lifters and people who burn 1000 or more calories a day. If I'm don't exercise for a day I'm fine getting the 45g or so recommended, though if you're heavier it's supposed to be more, I think that's still fine. Especially because ALL food has protein, including veggies, and the MFP database isn't set up to register all of that. But if I work out I'll aim more for the goal MFP has me at now. And if someday I get to exercising that burns of 1000 or more, then I'll learn more about the huge increases. When I had my goal at 1lb/wk my protein was about 45g or thereabouts, now that I changed it my goal is 65g (since MFP has the 15%), so I'm shooting for 65g, but won't be concerned if I go below.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    I may try my calorie goal as set at between my 1lb goal and this .5 lb goal and see what happens.
    Good luck, I hope it works out for you. :smile:

Thanks, I really hope so, too. Even if it's slow, I just haven't seen the scale move down in so long I want it to MOVE! Good luck getting to your goal, you're so close! I hope to be close to mine by April (I realize the math doesn't work at .5/wk, but I'm just trying this out to see what happens). I'm in finals mode for the next two and a half weeks, then I'm using my winter break to get into a schedule that will work around my spring classes so I'm ready to go when school starts up again.

Where are the other Gryffs?!?
  • bobs_god
    bobs_god Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just checking in for a chat as its coming close to the end of the week. I seen above the talk about the name of the new points, Personally like SPEW but then I was a big fan of this part of the book and dobby collecting all the clothes that were being left around the castle..........Oh Dobby........ Any way off my tangent, I have felt motivated this last few weeks just reading different aspects of this group and I completely agree its always a little boost when people are checking in and seeing how others are doing. Lets hope all the other Gryffs get involved with random common room chats.
  • squiggles409
    squiggles409 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Greetings fellow Gryfs!! Just wanted to say I hope you're all getting a few lunges in. I did some today and they kicked my butt!! Literally! Buns of steal, here I come!!!
  • starjam25
    starjam25 Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow Gryffindor's! I'm spewing here :-) Been out of touch for a bit but thanks to Bron, I decided it was time to get back to school.

So.... how about people tell us what state they are from and what sort of weather they are having. I'll start with me. I live in California and at this moment we are having 40-50 mph winds! Nice thing about the wind, our streets will finally get cleaned!

I wonder if we have any members that don't live in the U.S.?
  • starjam25
    Options
    Greetings fellow Gryfs!! Just wanted to say I hope you're all getting a few lunges in. I did some today and they kicked my butt!! Literally! Buns of steal, here I come!!!

Good job, keep it up!!
  • starjam25
    Options
    Just checking in for a chat as its coming close to the end of the week. I seen above the talk about the name of the new points, Personally like SPEW but then I was a big fan of this part of the book and dobby collecting all the clothes that were being left around the castle..........Oh Dobby........ Any way off my tangent, I have felt motivated this last few weeks just reading different aspects of this group and I completely agree its always a little boost when people are checking in and seeing how others are doing. Lets hope all the other Gryffs get involved with random common room chats.

I cry every time I watch Dobby die.... Please pass me a kleenix... :sad:
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, I haven't spewed for days!
    Today marks the beginning of a truly magical month. A time for families, a time of sharing, a time of good food and good fun, but mostly, a time to celebrate My Birth!!!!!! LOL!
    Hey, having been born December 26 a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do to get a little birthday cheer!

Good luck this month fellow Gryffs!!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, I haven't spewed for days!
    Today marks the beginning of a truly magical month. A time for families, a time of sharing, a time of good food and good fun, but mostly, a time to celebrate My Birth!!!!!! LOL!
    Hey, having been born December 26 a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do to get a little birthday cheer!

Good luck this month fellow Gryffs!!

Aw, Happy Birthday month, Mindy! I have to say the most amazing person was born in February, tho...ME! :)

Star, I live in Indiana, in apparently the only city that didn't get snow the other day :( Today it's going to be 45 ish and sunny!

I need to get on those lunges!

You guys are really getting good at SPEWing ;)
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Hi fellow Gryffindor's! I'm spewing here :-) Been out of touch for a bit but thanks to Bron, I decided it was time to get back to school.

So.... how about people tell us what state they are from and what sort of weather they are having. I'll start with me. I live in California and at this moment we are having 40-50 mph winds! Nice thing about the wind, our streets will finally get cleaned!

I wonder if we have any members that don't live in the U.S.?

I'm a weirdo about sharing information, in real life and online. On MFP I'll obviously share things about weight issues I wouldn't with people in real life, but I get weird about sharing real names, locations, etc. So I'll just say that right now it sounds like it's getting windy. Days have been cool but freakin' sunny, mornings and nights are cold! Which means walking to school in this wind will be no fun.
  • jls1661
    jls1661 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Gryffindors! Just popped in to say hi, and see how everyone has been doing. Is anyone else having trouble getting their full protein allowances in? I'm generally fine until I work out, and then I'm back to square 1. I'm getting better though!
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    time to spew!!! i am from the very northeast part of pennsylvania weather here is crappy (cold and rainy but no snow so that makes me happy, at least until wednesday next week maybe)

happy birthday mindy!! i totally get needing to get some birthday cheer when you are born so close to a holiday as i was born around moms day so i dont get mom day presents and birthday presents separately

what day in feb bron? i have 2 boys born in feb

hope you are all having a great week!!!
  • kelsue35
    Options
    I Found this to be awesome and makes me want to go back to college. Just got a text from my niece. She is convinced Hogwarts
    is hidden somewhere in the girls bathroom at the college she goes to. Apparently kutztown college is having a Yule ball just like in Harry potter! How awesome is that! I just had to share (spew). Who wants to go back to college w me if only for that reason?
  • Mindy1124
    Mindy1124 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am new to the group and would love to be sorted into Gryffindor! :-) Let me know the information!
  • MindyBlack
    Options
    I Found this to be awesome and makes me want to go back to college. Just got a text from my niece. She is convinced Hogwarts
    is hidden somewhere in the girls bathroom at the college she goes to. Apparently kutztown college is having a Yule ball just like in Harry potter! How awesome is that! I just had to share (spew). Who wants to go back to college w me if only for that reason?

That and the Quidditch teams! I want to play real live Quidditch!! The yule ball sounds real cool too. I get dibs on Ron!!
  • MindyBlack
    Options
    Hey! I am new to the group and would love to be sorted into Gryffindor! :-) Let me know the information!

Welcome to the group!! Cool name!
  • druidqueen
    Options
    CW: 229 (no change)
    HP: 83
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Hi, Gryffindors!

I've been, as I'm sure you've noticed, very preoccupied this week! I sincerely apologize for that.

I still haven't heard from the Slytherin Head of House about her November numbers, and I've got so much on my plate this weekend that I've put off posting the new challenges too long.

I really still don't have much time to post any. If someone wants to volunteer to think of some OWLs and NEWTs just for this week, I would be more than grateful! Otherwise, I'm going to keep them the same for this week.

I'm sorry it's been kinda off the last few weeks. Please bear with me. Not to make excuses, but for those of you who are new, my Dad just passed away almost a month ago, so it's been weird for me to get back into the routine. It won't always be this unorganized, I promise! I don't want anyone to drop out because they think I'm just a lousy Head of House :)
  • kelsue35
    Options

That and the Quidditch teams! I want to play real live Quidditch!! The yule ball sounds real cool too. I get dibs on Ron!!

you can have Ron i want grown up Neville.. damn that boy got HOTTT!!!!
  • kelsue35
    Options
    Hi, Gryffindors!

I've been, as I'm sure you've noticed, very preoccupied this week! I sincerely apologize for that.

I still haven't heard from the Slytherin Head of House about her November numbers, and I've got so much on my plate this weekend that I've put off posting the new challenges too long.

I really still don't have much time to post any. If someone wants to volunteer to think of some OWLs and NEWTs just for this week, I would be more than grateful! Otherwise, I'm going to keep them the same for this week.

I'm sorry it's been kinda off the last few weeks. Please bear with me. Not to make excuses, but for those of you who are new, my Dad just passed away almost a month ago, so it's been weird for me to get back into the routine. It won't always be this unorganized, I promise! I don't want anyone to drop out because they think I'm just a lousy Head of House :)

YOU ARE NOT A LOUSY HEAD OF HOUSE!!! you have been through one of the worst things that can happen to you and less than a month ago at that, dont beat yourself up for being busy or preoccupied. we love you so much here and we couldnt ask for a better head of house!!! i will think of something and shoot you an email about what i come up with in a few!!!