Maintenance Thread Part 3

Options

Replies

• bitterbrownie
    Options
    So excited with myself! I ran the Sight Night 8K run this evening in 1 hour and 2 minutes! The weather was a FREEZING!!!! It was -20'C. I'm not sure what that is in 'F. But, I stayed very warm and ran pretty much the whole time. I'm thinking I just might be able to run a 10 K sometime next year.

that's awesome, well done! especially in that cold too. i run in the mornings at the moment and it is SO cold haha

you should definitely try for a 10K - nothing like another challenge!

i was planning to run a 15k on 18th December but i ran 6.7 miles today so i'm ahead of target so may try for longer :)
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Argh. Weighed in today, and am 2lb out of range. First time I've been properly over since starting maintenance. So, dropped calories back to 1700 for a bit. Would like to drop further, but not sure it would be possible whilst at uni and with exams coming up - need to keep my strength up and all that! Hopefully won't take too long to be back in range though.
    Think I'm one of these people who likes to eat warm wholesome foods when it's getting darker and colder. And more cakes. Didn't have urges to eat them until recently, but now I'm like a crazy cake eating woman. Tying out graze boxes so can munch away on more healthy foods throughout the day instead. Don't know how else to combat it, to be honest. Any ideas?
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    My first week of maintenance didn't go too well.

My NET goal was 1690, I went over a few times but I stayed under on the rest of the days to make up for it.

I ended up gaining 1.5lb so I have reduced my calories to 1500.

Maybe my maintenance calories were too high but I am a teacher and "lightly active" so 1500 doesn't seem high enough either.

Will see how this week goes.
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Finding maintenance calories sure is not easy. I think it is better to pick a range of 2 pounds or so. I find I don't get so frustrated when I "gain" a pound or two since sometimes it could be water weight. Don't give up keiraev and LittleMissAlx we will figure this out. If it helps you at all my maintenance calories seem to be about 1400.
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    Finding maintenance calories sure is not easy. I think it is better to pick a range of 2 pounds or so. I find I don't get so frustrated when I "gain" a pound or two since sometimes it could be water weight. Don't give up keiraev and LittleMissAlx we will figure this out. If it helps you at all my maintenance calories seem to be about 1400.

i totally agree with this! it is SO hard finding the right amount....my weight doesn't usually fluctuate on my weekly weigh-in but this week it did which really threw me :/ decided to try again this weekend/later this week and see if it's settled down again. i was hoping to up my calories but for now i've left them at 1650.

i'd maintain your rates for a little longer and see how it goes - water/food digestion etc is so subtle yet effects so much!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Argh. Weighed in today, and am 2lb out of range. First time I've been properly over since starting maintenance. So, dropped calories back to 1700 for a bit. Would like to drop further, but not sure it would be possible whilst at uni and with exams coming up - need to keep my strength up and all that! Hopefully won't take too long to be back in range though.
    Think I'm one of these people who likes to eat warm wholesome foods when it's getting darker and colder. And more cakes. Didn't have urges to eat them until recently, but now I'm like a crazy cake eating woman. Tying out graze boxes so can munch away on more healthy foods throughout the day instead. Don't know how else to combat it, to be honest. Any ideas?

I LOVE graze boxes; I'm on 2 a week! Fruit also helps me, but it doesn't fill you up for long. You're obviously in the UK; have you tried the Dorset Cereals bars? They are divine! I don't mean the normal ones - there are 3 special ones that only seem to be available from Waitrose - dark chocolate & macadamia, honey granola and date & pecan. A bit expensive, but worth it, and better than cake! I also have plain nuts sometimes, but it is so easy to eat too many!
  • LittleMissAlx
    Options
    Ooh, no I haven't! Shall have to see if my local store has them in :) Snacking is definitely my downfall so would be good to find healthy options.

Really annoyed last night. Have been buying really tasty, low calorie ready meals from waitrose for a few weeks. Last time I went shopping, they'd made them more expensive, more calories... And I didn't realise until last night, put bizarre things like mushrooms in. Can't bear them. Means now I have to find new dinner options, grrr. Maybe should make my own and freeze them. Least that way I always know what's in my food. (I'm a picky eater in case it's not obvious, and have mild ocd re food).
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Ooh, no I haven't! Shall have to see if my local store has them in :) Snacking is definitely my downfall so would be good to find healthy options.

Really annoyed last night. Have been buying really tasty, low calorie ready meals from waitrose for a few weeks. Last time I went shopping, they'd made them more expensive, more calories... And I didn't realise until last night, put bizarre things like mushrooms in. Can't bear them. Means now I have to find new dinner options, grrr. Maybe should make my own and freeze them. Least that way I always know what's in my food. (I'm a picky eater in case it's not obvious, and have mild ocd re food).

Funny you should say that - after eating mushrooms for 50 years, I suddenly went off them a few months ago!
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    question for you all maintainers!

my scale seems to have decided to put me up a pound basically each day since saturday....with one big push up and then a drop down again in the middle :/

any reason for this unsettled reading? and when/how can i expect it to or get it to calm down?

i'm eating the same and haven't altered anything else...
  • LittleMissAlx
    Options
    Time of the month? No idea to be honest.
    Mine is up and down like a yoyo. In range one day, out the next, in, out.... Grrr. Doesn't seem to be based on what I do at all. Yesterday I skipped my exercise class, and this morning I weigh less :/ than the day I worked really hard, had loads of spare calories and was up! Stupid scales.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Good news - after a week on maintenance and a week on semi maintenance I am now 0.75lb from goal!

The first week I ate 1690 a day and gained 1.5 so I changed my cals to 1500 and I lost that plus a further 1.25.

Determined to lose the last bit before Xmas so on a small deficit now for 3 weeks, so with a bit of luck will see you all back here soon:flowerforyou:
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

LittleMissAlx I'm definitely with you on the wanting a bit of comforting stodge in this cold weather. I'm trying to combat that by making lots of soups, I'm also big into crumpets, which aren't too calorific.

I had a horrid stomach upset last week and dropped 3lb in a day, it wasn't good, and I fell quite weak after, but back on it now and weight has settled back into the middle of my maintenance range. I've started climbing which I'm enjoying and seems to be toning up my shoulders too.

Xmas is when I stacked quite a bit of weight on last year, so really trying to plan in when I can get in exercise round work and all the school/work/family stuff this time of year. I've also done no Christmas shopping yet, so I'm going to need to run round the shops next week to make a start at it. I've booked the day off when my 8yo's school will be closed on the strike to do some shopping since I'll have to be off to look after her anyway so I bet everyone will have had the same idea and town is rammed. Extra calories to be burned squeezing through the crowds perhaps!

Have a good weekend everyone
    Louise x
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hope you are all doing well! I have been MIA because of Thanksgiving. I went down to Florida to my brother's house and we had a big family thing: mom, and both brother's families. It was a lot of fun, although bittersweet as we lost my Dad in June, and this was the first Thanksgiving w/out him.....we focused on the positive though. Kids. Good food, and each other.

As for fitness and eating, well, although I didn't make my planned exercise goals, I did exercise every day but Friday while I was away. To my surprise, my brother had been doing the P90X program. I had been so scared to try it, thinking I would not be able to even keep up, but I did 3 of the workouts with him while I was there. Now I have convinced my mother to get this for me for Xmas. Yay! Very excited. And I'm not scared anymore--I guess I'm in OK shape after all! Nice realization.

As for eating--well, I didn't log much and ate like a crazy-person. I must be a mature-maintainer, because this doesn't bother me anymore. I'm ok today. I'm back on exercise, and I know I'll get a handle on eating well this week. What I won't do is weigh myself --maybe in a few weeks I'll be safe to do that.

Hope you all had a great holiday too---let us know how it went. I'll catch up on all the posts this week! Take care! Robin
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    @Robin, thanks for the update, thanksgiving is about family isn't it? sorry your dad is gone, both my parents died within last 10 years - think of them often. wife and i spent the holiday in nc with our son and dil... nice visit. thanksgiving and dil's birthday celebrations = food orgy! got the exercise in - went to son and dil's gym for daily workouts, and took TWO one hour walks on turkey day, but went over huge on calories. tale of the scale was dismal upon return home; on 1700 calories actual per day again until back below target weight... just for a week or two, in time for christmas. maintenance is about staying within a range for me; this time of year i expect to visit the top of that range on occasion. the key as i see it is to view my inevitable holiday overindulgence as an exception to the normal every day good habits i've formed, and to log everything regardless - the negative feedback keeps me focused on the big picture.
  • fh1951
    Options
    OK! A week of 1700 calories a day and hitting the gym just a little harder than usual, and all the effects of enjoying the Thanksgiving holiday are history and I'm back under my goal weight... Maintenance for me is about staying in a weight range. With Christmas coming I may revisit the top of that range again at some point!
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    I was suching for maintenance threads yesterday and stumbled upon this group. I have been in maintenence since the end of Sept 2011 so not real long. I try to stay in the range of 120-125. Generally I am at the higher end which hasn't been a real big deal for me because my goal was 125lbs. I am getting a little concerned since Thanksgiving I have lost motivation to eat heathy and log and hope I am not going to start gain it back. I still go to fitness center but I did that for a year before I actually found mfp and started counting calories and actually lost weight so I know it is alot to do with food. It is that time of month for me but this month I just feel like everyday has been bad choices:noway:
    I just am looking for some motivation to not go backwards.
    I did just start this whole thing on a whim and it hasn't been real hard for the most part but there are certain times and right now seems to be one of those times where I just feel like I can't stay away from those bad foods anymore. I do believe in moderation it is ok but lately it seems like I can't just stop at one like I have done since January of this year when I started.
    Looking forward to getting to know some people on here and find new motivation.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    fh, congrats on staying on track over the holidays, and getting back to business afterwards. I'm like you--I like to log everything because it really helps you see the choices you make. Even if you are over plan, seeing it helps me decide if it's worth it. A lot of times, it certainly is. Sometimes it shows me I might be able to make a better choice. Also, I like to average my calories for the week so if I show the over days, and then the under days, I like to make sure I"m on plan towards the end of the week and then kind of judge the week accordingly.

kamk--glad you found us! I'm sorry it's been such a difficult time for you. I think maintenance is all about not denying yourself--so maybe it's ok for you to make some not-so-wonderful choices right now, but perhaps you can balance it out a bit on the quantities and w/some healthy meals thrown in, and still stay on plan, but keep yourself enjoying the foods of the season too? It sounds like you worked really hard to get where you are now and definitely want to stay there. Stick with us, we'll help you through it......

Things are ok w/me this week. My food choices haven't been the greatest since the holiday and I'm trying to get back on track. But my saving grace is that I make sure to exercise every day. I haven't weighed myself in a while, but don't really care. Clothes still fit so I'll take that as a positive sign......

hope you are all doing well and have a great day! R
  • fh1951
    Options
    @kam i see you are from one of those northern states where winter is spelled with a capital W. i think there is a physiological urge to add fat as the days get shorter, you are probably experiencing that now to some extent. course, we don't need that extra fat layer to survive in our modern world do we? all motivation comes from within, it's entirely your decision to keep living a healthy life, or not...
  • LittleMissAlx
    Options
    Hey all.
    I got my weight back into maintenance range a few weeks ago, but am still eating at a 200 calories deficit to what I was previously maintaining on. Instead of my weight dropping, even very gradually, it's just fluctuating at the top of my maintenance range. Ideally I wanted to get it into the low end of my range because I'm going home over Christmas, and exercise isn't really possible there, apart from my Mum trying to feed me up!

I was wondering, do you think it's because my body has become used to my exercise regime? I run three times a week - am training for a half marathon, so my long runs on a Sunday have been increasing gradually (21km for the 1st time this weekend, yay!), but the runs during the week have stayed about the same distance. I swim one day, and I do a circuits class one (sometimes two) times a week where I've been upping the weights a little recently.

I don't really want to drop the calories anymore at the moment - I have exams at uni in a couple of weeks and I need the energy to learn all the random facts, but I was wondering if anyone thinks I should try mixing up my exercise regime? Is there anything I could add in, perhaps?

Thanks x
  • fh1951
    Options
    @littlemiss running 21 klics this weekend is outstanding! sounds like you have a great workout regimen and are mixing things up nicely... are you sure your food calorie count is accurate?