Favourite Jamaican Dishes

Options
2»

Replies

• chrisja
    chrisja Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Remember the days when those of us from country got up in the morning, did our chores then you were free for the day to play or do whatever...so nuff dolly-house outside, chinese skip, shooting and roasting birds etc...and we filled our bellies all day with whichever tangerine, orange, mango, grapefruit, starapple, roseapple, naseberry, cashew etc we could find in our roamings...and like ackeebee said, it didn't matter if it was on the neighbour's property. We were all kids who were doing the same thing. Just make sure you get home and bathe in time for dinner..........and dinner was some nice dry yellow or white/ saaf yam, coco, dumpling with whichever saalting (lol) was on the menu that day. Those were the good old days...never watched what we ate but obviously what we were eating then was much better for out bodies.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    lol, you got that right. and we were not fat then either so we must have been doing something right :-)
  • Kesh2DaWorld
    Kesh2DaWorld Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There are so many Jamaican dishes that I love. And, even thought I don’t eat beef if oxtail dey pon de table the gravy will be on my rice and peas! My only problem is when I am in JA I can eat all that stuff to my hearts content. But, as soon as mi reach back a foreign one taste of the same food will make me gain 30 ponds. Bowy foreign life hard!
  • chrisja
    chrisja Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Lol @ QBKesh....spoken like a true Jamaican, where the gravy doesn't necessarily match the meat we are eating...lol
  • Kaybee1011
    Kaybee1011 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah.........nothing like rice and peas with fry chicken and curry or oxtail gravy.......mmmmmmmmm
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    It's been ages since I had fry chicken...yum yum
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    OMG-I can't even BEGIN to name a favorite-Anything curry, ox tail, dahl; red peas soup, jerk anything.........
    that's the problem why I'm here! I did WW for a while but had a hard time encorporating "our foods" into the program. Actually checked MFP's data base 2 days ago for home made rice & peas and when I saw the calorie count, had to opt for the white rice-bummer!!!
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    There is too many to mention but of course ackee and salt fish, pattie any kind and jerk chicken. Damn I'm hungry now