Tell us about yourself!!

Options
FunkBunny
FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
Please, introduce yourself, tell us what brought you here and what brought you to derby!:happy:

I'm FunkBunny, a friend of mine (a fellow derby girl) told me I should come and check it out. I wore crappy rentals, borrowed pads and a helmet and ended up with a blister the size of my thumb on the bottom of my foot, but I never looked back. tht night I ordered all my own equipment and have been hook ever since.
I'm in Michigan, Chemical City Derby Girls is my team and FunkBunny is my name there, as well. I love the release and power that derby gives me. Plus, it's something that is all mine. No kids, no husband, no co-workers. Just me and my derby girls. is there anything like it?

Replies

• RenegadeRileyy
    RenegadeRileyy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My name is Paiton & I play with Gypsy Roller Rebels based in Yucaipa, Ca. I've only been skating for about 3 months, but it only took one practice to know it's what I'll do the rest of my life. RenegadeRileyy is my name. Other sports just weren't my thing, but Derby is the ****. hahaa I joined this site because my friend (also team member) is trying to get me on track with my weight, & so we're doing this.together. I am so happy I found this group. (:
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My name is Beaux Toxx, and I ref for Charm City Roller Girls in Baltimore. Or at least I try to. lol. I have been w them for about a year- and prior to that had not skated since high school. I was skating socially in HS, and some one pushed me from behind, causing me to fall, and when I landed, I sat on my right foot, snapping my fibia, tibia and ankle. I was in a full leg cast for 9 months, and a below the knee for another 4 months. So mentally- I have some fears- but have spent the past year getting more comfortable on my skates, and finding just an amazing amount of insipration in the sport.

I first fell in love with it in 05 in Philly, when I saw my first bout- which was the Penn Jersey She Devils- it was really the beginning for them, I think maybe even their first bout- but I was in love at first sight. After that, I began watching the philly girls- who drew more out of state teams, so I was lucky enough to see some amazing teams skate in philly. I moved to baltimore 2 years ago, not knowing a soul, and volunteered at the bouts as a way of forcing myself to be social. And to meet people, and I did. Then I decided I needed to skate, and reffing was the right place for me. It allows me to attend any and all of the teams practices, if I have the time, but my own requirements are much less, which works with my insane work schedule,

That said, I love the sport, and it accounts for much of my exercise. I have also found MFP thru derby friends..

I found myself covered in goose bumps and my eyes full of tears watching montreal playing london this september in my home arena- it kind of made me realize how massive this is, and how amazing these woman are- we do this just for the love.

But I digress... I'm glad there is a group set up here- bc we need more derby love!!!! ;)
  • FunkBunny
    Options
    Welcome, welcome, Beaux toxx and Rileyy!!

Oh, Beaux, those are some pretty massive injuries. i can understand your fear. I hope derby love wins and you're back to reffing ASAP!

Sounds like both you ladies have the derby bug, ain't it great!

I've been skating since February, but due to back injuries I'm still not skills tested and have yet to skate in a bout, let alone a scrimmage. Soon, though, soon!

Welcome and please, spread the word!
  • Naomi_13
    Naomi_13 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm Malicious Kitty, I skate for the Muddy River Rollers in Moncton New Brunswick. I didn't think there were any Roller Derby groups on here until I found this one :) I have been playing for 1 year this month and I love it!!!! I am totally addicted lol. It`s nice to see others who are as enthused as I am about the sport.
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi Im freshmeat (not my name, just started the process to 'get'my name)
    Im nearly 3months into derby and i knew before i showed up for my first freshmeat session that i wanted to do it, skating was the only sport ive ever enjoyed and actively sort out when i was younger , now i skate with WA roller derby, i dont have a team im a tart ill scream for any of our leagues teams makes no diff to me.
    Ive never been bothered by my 2weeks away 1week home till i started Derby, not even when i built my house, now if it wasnt for the fact ive just started a new position at work id be looking for an even time roster, just quietly ill suck this till probably september next year and start lookiing, that'll be me a year on my wheels.
    I dont know much about derby and i hail praise to those awesome perps who've put it up on you tube because it is way more fun then i make it sound.
    I want to loose weight but most of all i want to get stronger, fitter and more abile so that when i get through my levels i can do my team proud.
    Im the only person toearn their spot on the blast crew at work and im more then happy to work hard to deserve my place in my league. im leaving now because ill gush for hours about derby
  • FunkBunny
    Options
    Welcome Malicious Kitty and out beautiful Freshmeat! (We LOVE freshmeat around here!)

When I saw the groups here, I looked for derby and was bummed when none came up. then I saw that handly little "create group" button. Tada!! Our group was born! And I love seeing it grow!
  • FunkBunny
    Options
    Welcome Malicious Kitty and out beautiful Freshmeat! (We LOVE freshmeat around here!)

When I saw the groups here, I looked for derby and was bummed when none came up. then I saw that handly little "create group" button. Tada!! Our group was born! And I love seeing it grow!
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm Acacia Finest (like the tank...) with Rideau Valley Roller Girls in Ottawa and I had left my league to NSO and volunteer. Injuries and trouble getting back at it... I was on the home team - Riot Squad. I was skating for a year before injuries, and bouted and did LOTS of scrimmaging.

I started derby and it got me nice and fit, and I love it like an addiction that's positive. Without it my fitness plan is lacking (as is my therapy) and I'm going back in January. I may have to re-do fresh meat (yet to be seen) but at least in January I will be insured. Hooray!!!

Other than that, I am low-carbing, and wondering how that will fit in with my roller derby. Maybe some vega performance drink or some minor additions on practice days?

Good to see you all here.

One of our league girls is on team canada (Soul Rekker) and I'm looking forward to World Cup (I have my tickets and I'm just about to book my hotel!)
  • FunkBunny
    Options
    Welcome Acaia Finest! :)

Sorry to hear baout injuries, comes with the territory, but always hard to hear about!!

i'm sure if you jeep your lean protein up that the low carb shouldn't be a problem. i'm not a low carber though, so I dunno. i do know that low protein makes me feel all wonky. So if you keep that up, maybe you'll do just fine?
  • redhotredneck
    redhotredneck Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm Red Hot Redneck, Ref with Grand Raggidy Roller Girls in Grand Rapids, MI. :) I used to be a skater, but due to some minor injuires, home life interruptions and a few other reasons, I transitioned to Ref this last May.
  • FunkBunny
    Options
    Hey RedHot! I'm in Midland Mi! Maybe we can get our teams together some time!

Welcome!!
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will make sure to supplement protein on training days. I'm planning to put in some running before skates, so that should let me know what my fatigue is etc. :) I'm eating some healthy veggies, so that's a plus!!
  • madluna
    Options
    Hi, my name is Angie(madluna). I am a freshmeat rollerderby at RGV (lower part of Texas). I just join about a month ago. Love for the game and wanted to be my hero to my self and my girl who is 10 years old. I hope to be one of the best roller girl in RGV. Rock on and kick some ACE. lol
  • FunkBunny
    Options
    We LOVE freshmeat! Welcome, welcome, welcome! :)
  • redhotredneck
    redhotredneck Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    FunkBunny, I'm sure we could figure something out....I seem to remember we've done something before....or maybe that was another league over by you. There are a whole heck of alot of leagues in michigan now, that its sometimes hard to keep track! :)
  • FunkBunny
    Options
    FunkBunny, I'm sure we could figure something out....I seem to remember we've done something before....or maybe that was another league over by you. There are a whole heck of alot of leagues in michigan now, that its sometimes hard to keep track! :)

that would be great, even just for a friendly scrimmage! we don't have a facility to host one at ourselves yet thoguh (working on that area still) but we have girls who are willing to travel to get their derby on!
  • GoldenRough
    GoldenRough Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Heya!!

Golden Rough here. Great to see there is a Roller Derby community on here.

I am currently a tender, but haven't really been able to train since I injured by tail bone and then my knee :(

Hope to get to know you all and hear about your fitness progress.

Feel free to add me as a friend or ask any questions :)

Also, since I have injured my knee doctor says I cant train, any ideas on the best types of exercise I should look at. Basically just trying to keep the knee moving so it doesn't get stiff.. was only just swelling and bruising, but it's giving me grief so I don't want to push it to hard.

Golden Rough :)
  • FunkBunny
    Options
    Hey Golden rough! Welcome!

Well,your doctor would be able to tell you best on what you CAN do...but I would say if you can walk, then do taht as much as possible without re-injury! Also, focus on keeping your core strong! Crunch, crunch, crunch! A strong core will make a world of difference when you're getting your derby on!

:)
  • Davy_RockHit
    Options
    Hi,
    I am glad to see a roller derby group as well; before groups were created I had tried to start one but didn't generate enough interest to keep a routine with any other girls.

My name is Davy Rock-Hit #214 with Snake Pit Derby Dames. I made the all-star team this year the Venomous Vixens! Last year I was on the "B" team and was voted Brass Knuckle Brawlers "Best Blocker" I was also picked by our coaches as the "Overall Most improved" for 2011. As of this week I have been doing derby for a year. I practice regularly 2 days a week with my league rarely missing practices. Since July I have really forced myself to do better and eat healthier and it has paid off with derby for sure.

Roller derby has changed my life because it provides an outlet that I need and has given me something that I know is my own. My husband is a referee he started about 6months after me, after my second bout, he started coming to practices. Most girls don’t want their husbands there but I love that he skates with me, we make a great pair!

Derby Love,
    Davy
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Options
    Hi,

I'm Bling It On from the Dub City Derby Girls in Palm Beach County, Florida. I am one of the founders of our team that started just shy of 2 years ago! We are about to enter into Season 2 this coming February and I'm very excited to play! After training for Season 1 for 9 months I ended up preggo and had to sit it out :( we ended our Inagrual seaon with a 7 and 5 record!!

I am now back and READY TO GO!!!!

ck us out at www.dubcityderbygirls.com

xoxoxo,
    Bling aka Vicky the Sh0ewh0re7