Stage 4

Options

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Ok so I had my husband take some pictures of me this morning before my workout. Unfortunately I don't have any before pictures and I don't think I really look good now, but I do think my arms/shoulders are more defined and maybe I have a little less belly flab. Unfortunately I don't know how to upload pictures here. Help?
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options

WOW!

Did you do any core exercises above and beyond NROL4W?

Congrats on your accomplishments... very inspirational for the rest of us.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Ok so I had my husband take some pictures of me this morning before my workout. Unfortunately I don't have any before pictures and I don't think I really look good now, but I do think my arms/shoulders are more defined and maybe I have a little less belly flab. Unfortunately I don't know how to upload pictures here. Help?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/393926-how-do-i-post-a-picture-in-the-forums

This link contains links with tips on how to do this.
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm starting stage 4 tomorrow. Is everyone doing 3 sets? I'm going to try but it leaves me at the gym for a full 2 hours....For some reason I feel guilty leaving my kids in the childcare for the full time allowed... :/
  • idauria
    Options
    I'm starting stage 4 tomorrow. Is everyone doing 3 sets? I'm going to try but it leaves me at the gym for a full 2 hours....For some reason I feel guilty leaving my kids in the childcare for the full time allowed... :/

I'm doing 3 sets. I was only able to do 2 sets of the 120 second planks yesterday though. My shoulders were absolutely burning. I could have tried a third but I was exhausted. I find that this stage takes less time than stage 3 because of the shorter rest times. It takes me about 90 minutes and I think stage 3 took closer to 2 hours, which really felt like an eternity, lol.
  • Janda06
    Options

I'm doing 3 sets. I was only able to do 2 sets of the 120 second planks yesterday though. My shoulders were absolutely burning. I could have tried a third but I was exhausted. I find that this stage takes less time than stage 3 because of the shorter rest times. It takes me about 90 minutes and I think stage 3 took closer to 2 hours, which really felt like an eternity, lol.

I forgot about the shorter rest times!! Today is workout A....I'll try for 3 sets and see how it goes :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 3 sets. Workout A takes me about 1 hour, 25 minutes including warm-ups and cool-down. Workout B takes me 2 hours to complete due to the interval training so I skip a formal cool-down/stretching because 2 hours in the gym is enough! However, I've modified Workout B's core exercises and I do more reps (25-30 each) of the crunches (swiss ball and reverse) than the 8 reps called for in the book. So this takes extra time too. Unless your kids are complaining profusely I wouldn't feel guilty about leaving them in childcare. If you choose to do only 2 sets, try to lift as heavy as possible since you're doing fewer total reps.
  • Janda06
    Options
    Okay I did 3 sets today!! I was able to increase all my weights except for the squat push press and the the lunges. I was sweating and huffing and puffing though...I also couldn't make it through the 3rd plank . My shoulders were completely shaking and I fell to the mat like jello...haha!! Of course you always feel awesome when it's over!!! The kids love being in the childwatch so I guess they'll be there the whole time for workout B!!
  • idauria
    Options
    Okay I did 3 sets today!! I was able to increase all my weights except for the squat push press and the the lunges. I was sweating and huffing and puffing though...I also couldn't make it through the 3rd plank . My shoulders were completely shaking and I fell to the mat like jello...haha!! Of course you always feel awesome when it's over!!! The kids love being in the childwatch so I guess they'll be there the whole time for workout B!!

Good for you! I finally was able to do three sets of the push/press just using the 45lb barbell. I will try and increase to 50 lbs tomorrow. I did workout B this morning. I like A better, other than the planks! I'll try and do 3 sets of those tomorrow. I was able to do 65lbs on the deadlifts today but my hands were really hurting by the end. I might have to get gloves. I'm going to end up with callused manly hands!
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but I dare someone to say something about our calloused hands! Knock 'em out! ;o)

One more workout and Stage 4 is kaput. I've had a cold and only managed two workouts/week for the past two weeks, which really stinks because I feel like I'm just maintaining instead of making progress. I'm toying with the idea of spending an extra week in Stage 4 because the week before xmas I'm going out of town and it'll be a pain to hunt down a gym. So that may be a scheduled week off between stages, or if I go ahead and start Stage 5 next week, it'll be smack in the middle of Stage 5.

Decisions, decisions...
  • idauria
    Options
    Yeah, but I dare someone to say something about our calloused hands! Knock 'em out! ;o)

One more workout and Stage 4 is kaput. I've had a cold and only managed two workouts/week for the past two weeks, which really stinks because I feel like I'm just maintaining instead of making progress. I'm toying with the idea of spending an extra week in Stage 4 because the week before xmas I'm going out of town and it'll be a pain to hunt down a gym. So that may be a scheduled week off between stages, or if I go ahead and start Stage 5 next week, it'll be smack in the middle of Stage 5.

Decisions, decisions...

I bought a pair of gloves today. I'll see tomorrow if they make a difference or if they're even comfortable to wear. They were only $10 so if I don't like them I don't feel like I've wasted a lot of money. They had some that were $25 and $30.

If I were in your shoes I would probably opt for spending another week in stage 4 so you don't have to take a break during stage 5, especially since you've been sick and only have done a couple of workouts the past few weeks. It couldn't hurt to linger a bit longer, build your strength back up and then take a break. I am in the middle of stage 4 right now. I think I'll be done next wednesday. Then I'll take the 4 days off and start the next stage the following Monday, the 19th. I am going away Dec 23 and returning Dec 26 so I will miss those two workouts. I'll jump back in when I get home and continue on as planned.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Decisions, decisions...

I am adding 2 sessions of body pump to my stage 4 in order to have my rest week at Christmas. Lately I really feel stuck, like I am making no improvements.:frown: I still cant deadlift more than 80-90 pounds and I have been stuck at that weight for a long time. :sad:
  • idauria
    Options

Decisions, decisions...

I am adding 2 sessions of body pump to my stage 4 in order to have my rest week at Christmas. Lately I really feel stuck, like I am making no improvements.:frown: I still cant deadlift more than 80-90 pounds and I have been stuck at that weight for a long time. :sad:

80-90lb deadlifts are nothing to sneeze at! Right now I can only do 65-70. Just keep at it until you feel comfortable enough to increase weight. I have been stuck at 45lbs for the squat push/press since stage 2. I just for the first time the other day completed 3 full sets of 8. I will try to increase tomorrow. Those are killer!
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    Yeah, I think that's what I'll do - throw a few more Stage 4 workouts in there and try to increase my strength before taking the break.

Yanicka - I've been feeling the same way, but yesterday I bumped up the weight by 5 lbs (found the mini plates!) on the front squat push press and just pushed through it. I'm sore today, which could be because of the reduced frequency in lifting, but I'm sure it's also from those extra 5 lbs.

I am feeling so fat today. :sad: Just having one of those days I guess.
  • idauria
    Options
    Yeah, I think that's what I'll do - throw a few more Stage 4 workouts in there and try to increase my strength before taking the break.

Yanicka - I've been feeling the same way, but yesterday I bumped up the weight by 5 lbs (found the mini plates!) on the front squat push press and just pushed through it. I'm sore today, which could be because of the reduced frequency in lifting, but I'm sure it's also from those extra 5 lbs.

I am feeling so fat today. :sad: Just having one of those days I guess.

I'm feeling pretty fat right now I can tell you that! I was doing good but then it went all downhill this afternoon. I didn't eat lunch and ended up eating at the Golden Corral with my parents at 3pm. I was starving and wasn't as judicious as I should have been. But honestly it is really hard to eat well there. I honestly didn't eat too much food, it's the dessert that gets me every time. I had one small serving of chocolate lava cake. I swore that was going to be it but nooo, I had to back for a piece of fudge and some apple cobbler. Plus a taste of my dd's mint chocolate chip ice cream. Normally I wouldn't be freaking out so much but since Thanksgiving I've been eating more sugar/desserts than I'd like to. No wonder why I can't lose my belly fat! The worst part is that since I was out all day I didn't get a chance to workout today. I feel like a whale right now!
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    I hear ya. I wonder if I was too tough on folks freaking out about Thanksgiving. It does seem like a slippery slope - the more I have sugar, the more I want it.

Measured myself this morning and I haven't lost even a fraction of an inch in the past month. At least - not in the places I measure. But I am wearing a smaller size pant and I think I lost off my upper thighs, which I don't measure. I don't know. I'm trying not to get discouraged and do anything rash. I need to stick with the program, be happy to maintain through the rest of the month, and hit the diet super hard come January. Do the best I can until then, but really go all out in January.

Thinking too about what program to do after NR. Getting Starting Strength for xmas, and considering a 5x5 type of program, gonna google it and see what it entails.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I wonder if I was too tough on folks freaking out about Thanksgiving. It does seem like a slippery slope - the more I have sugar, the more I want it.

Measured myself this morning and I haven't lost even a fraction of an inch in the past month. At least - not in the places I measure. But I am wearing a smaller size pant and I think I lost off my upper thighs, which I don't measure. I don't know. I'm trying not to get discouraged and do anything rash. I need to stick with the program, be happy to maintain through the rest of the month, and hit the diet super hard come January. Do the best I can until then, but really go all out in January.

Thinking too about what program to do after NR. Getting Starting Strength for xmas, and considering a 5x5 type of program, gonna google it and see what it entails.

I do not know if you have seen my 3rd month update but between all 3 pictures, I have not lost one single inch and one single pound but there is a visible difference. Do not get discouraged
  • idauria
    Options
    I don't think I've lost any inches since I started this program. But some of my older pants are fitting me better. I just can't stand the belly flab that just doesn't want to move.

I'm thinking ahead to the next program as well I'd like to do another strength training one but am not familiar with any. I have heard of the stronglifts 5x5, but I am not sure what that entails. Are any of you familiar with that? Is it similar to what we are doing now?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

What is body pump?