Yes....I feel your pain,,,

Options
thecat
thecat Posts: 47 Member
Hi, I am just starting this app today to help me with weight loss as a result of severe back pain and I also am newly diagnose with fibromyalgia. So, basically I am in pain everyday and I HATE the meds the doctors give cause I found that it was actually making me depressed.....I hurt if I am sedentary and I hurt if I try to do any exercise.....so I decided if am going to hurt I should at least walk for 30 min each day when my pain is not severe and I bought a DVD of yoga for people with arthritis even though thats not me the Physical rehab person said yoga and tai chi help because it is stretching and it does help a little bit. So you are not alone do not feel like there is no hope...we have to fight back! I also gained a lot of weight and my orthopedist said since I am limited in what exercise I can do I need to focus on cutting my calorie I take!!!! God bless... Hope to hear from you:)

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I have a bad back, it's genetic, and I never know what will set off months of constant agony. I live in terror of stumbling, much less falling, because that's all it takes sometimes to put it out, and if it goes out now, while I'm trying to exercise and lose this weight, I know it's over for me.

And pain killers don't work. Plus, they make me really stupid. And speaking of work, I don't. I can't. But of course the state says otherwise. Even though no one will hire me in my present condition. Then again, the state is made up of the type of people who really just wish others would go away and die once they're no longer usable.
  • dandelion9999
    Options
    Hi everyone...me too. I have a congenital scoliosis curvature in my lumbar and thoracic spine, which has caused all of my lumbar disks to be destroyed by degenerative disk disease. I had surgery in April to fix the worst disk, which had the L4/L5 nerve root trapped in a calcification that had formed over the damaged disk. Now I have what may end up being permanent nerve damage on my left side and chronic pain that no medication we've tried will even touch. Before the calcification formed, I was walking 3 or more miles every day and had lost almost 80 lbs. Now I'm up almost 30 lbs from my lowest weight, and I'm just SICK about the whole situation. Like thecat said, I'm in pain if I move, and I'm in pain if I don't. It's like walking a tightrope, but I am determined to not give up. I lost both of my parents before I was 30 yrs old, and I am determined to make sure I am here to enjoy my grandchildren someday!
  • lknip
    lknip Posts: 3
    Options
    I have hit my highest ever weight because of back and hip pain. I love to walk and use to walk miles. Its arthritis so I just need to learn how to handle it. I use Yoga for back pain (on Netflix) and it helps alot. I was on prednisone for awhile to get the inflammation down and it is getting better. And of course, ice and more ice.

I am determined to walk a half marathon at the end of March!
  • pameladawn99
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. Now I don't feel so all alone. Walking a half marathon...I love that idea! And I am going to try to find a yoga tape that is designed for people with pain.

Maybe tonight, I'll bring a laptop to bed with me (because i usually have to be laying down after dinner) and chat instead of eat.
  • pameladawn99
    Options
    I didn't logon all last week. Which means I didn't track. And I didn't exercise. Pain and depression had me down.

But I'm back and I haven't given up. And if you're a Survivor fan, you know that Ozzy says it's not how you fall, it's how you get back up! I'm looking through my posts and my goals to remind myself why I need to be here.
  • HeyHeyRae
    Options
    Hello to everyone. I'm new to the group and just wanted to say Hello and find some friends (I only have 2 people friended on here, and could use a lot more!). I'm more familiar with this catch22 than I'd like to be. I was in an accident a little over a year ago and it left me with three herniated disks, one of which is pinching the sciatic nerve on my left side and causing radiating pain from my lower back and left hip all the way down to my left ankle. When the pain starts to get worse, I over compensate on my right side and end up with hip pain on that side too. I was already 100lbs overweight before the accident, was out of work for four months after and gained a minimum of 10lbs per month in that time. I'm now 150lbs overweight and it's excruciatingly painful to exercise. I figure I need to lose at least 50lbs before I can start to exercise standing up again. Any suggestions on exercises I can do sitting down? I'd ask for water exercises but I don't have access to a pool unfortunately. Thanks guys!
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate to what you're all saying. It's that vicious cycle of pain = no exercise = weight gain = more pain........etc, isn't it. It's interesting that most of us have loved walking in the past - I'm another one. Walking has always been my exercise of choice, even when I was a child and my ultimate was walking a half-marathon when I was 50. Now it hurts just to walk to the letter box (sorry - I'm in New Zealand - I should say mailbox :-) ). I like the attitude though that since I'm in pain if I do exercise and I'm in pain if I don't, I might just as well go ahead and do it, so I will start giving that a go. Even 15 minutes of slow walking is a bonus. I also do Pilates exercises with a physical therapist - the aim is to strengthen the core muscles. I started a few months before my surgery and have continued since. I'm told I now have pretty good muscle strength. HeyHeyRae - have you tried doing some breathing exercises sitting down? You could build in some arm exercises and focus on using your abdominal muscles to build up that core. That way you could prepare for more aerobic exercises a bit down the track. I found this site the other day and am trying to use it daily: http://cas.umkc.edu/casww/brethexr.htm. It's hard work, but then most things that are worthwhile are, so I'm going to stick with it and see what happens.
  • HeyHeyRae
    Options
    HeyHeyRae - have you tried doing some breathing exercises sitting down? You could build in some arm exercises and focus on using your abdominal muscles to build up that core. That way you could prepare for more aerobic exercises a bit down the track. I found this site the other day and am trying to use it daily: http://cas.umkc.edu/casww/brethexr.htm. It's hard work, but then most things that are worthwhile are, so I'm going to stick with it and see what happens.

I had never heard of that before!!! Thanks! I'm going to bookmark that and go over it ASAP. It's a great idea and I can totally do that. I'm going to try to make myself do at least 15-20 minutes on the treadmill at a slow pace with no incline on my day off so that I'm not just sitting around. At least at work I'm up and moving all the time, but my days off I just want to lay in bed and that's not healthy at all! Thanks Opal24. I'd love a friend invite so we can keep each other supported and encouraged if you'd like it ;o)
  • thecat
    Options
    Good Morning heyheyrae!!

So sorry to hear about your situation.....but what about a recumbent exercise bike....you are partially laying back so as to NOT put strain on the lower back and maybe you can start at just 10 min at a time and if you can do it 3 times in a day of course spread out throughout the day. Also, I bought online a yoga DVD ...it is called "Easy Yoga for Arthritis" by Peggy Cappy...the DVD is great even though we don't have arthritis the yoga can be done sitting in a chair or standing she goes very slow and their are modifications she proposes .....I was given this by the REHAB place I go to as people may have exercise limitations this helps to at least get the person doing some movement. Also, I was told Tai Chi is very good no impact on the back. I hope this helps and welcome to the group...thanks to Pameladawn:)
  • thecat
    Options
    Hi opal24;

It's good to hear your experiences thanks for sharing and welcome! New Zealand must be beautiful .....as we all pretty much have stated we all hurt and it is easy to get trapped in the cycle of pain and allow depression to get the best of us...I speak for myself when I say this as I was trapped in a cycle of pain and meds and then felt depressed,alone and constantly looking to my circumstance instead of looking towards what I can do to help myself. Exercise does gives us a jolt of endorphins the natural feel good chemical and I rather have that than taking all the medications the doctors prescribe....don't get me wrong there are days when I Need the pain meds......but I am determined to fight back and NOT ALLOW this stupid condition to steal my life and my joy. Anyway, thanks to all for listening to my rambling on have a successful 2012!!!
  • pameladawn99
    Options
    Everyone is doing so well...and I am failing. God give me strength to not give up.