DECEMBER CHALLENGE

Replies

• penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    So, I am quite stressed and quite ill right now. I've had a cold/fluey/chesy/sore throat type thing for over a week now, but at the weekend it turned from just being a bit snotty and grotty, to being actually infected and affecting things I want to do. Now I really can't breathe at night and during cycling, and stuff so that's a bit of a nightmare. But I really am taking care of myself, trying to keep my fluids up, eat enough (even though I've lost my hunger and thirst) and swallowing really hurts. Also a completely manic time at uni, deadline tomorrow, deadline mon 19th and another thurs 22nd...ARGH! So so so much work to do right now, and my bike is in at the repairs, and I'm running around like a crazy lady and I havn't even begun my christmas shopping...but *deep breath*...I am REALLY trying to stay in control and on top of this, and so far I am coping...just...

A bit worried that if the flueyness doesn't clear up it means I'm going to have to miss some exercise sessions like zumba, or take it easy at the gym...and i *know* that shouldn't matter...but it does to me. I've only just started trying to maintain after hitting my target weight and I'm eating more and the whole maintaining thing is proper scary...it's actually more scary and difficult than trying to lose...when I was trying to lose there was a *real* outcome of the diet and exercise...if the scale went down I could pat myself on the back...trying to maintain...well is weighing in once a week at the same weight quite as rewarding? It's difficult to get my head around not having to freak out over certain foods, not having to say no to a little bit of cake, not HAVING to be on my guard the whole time...but I'm trying.

I struggled all my first week maintaining, I went from eating exactly as I did before when trying to lose, to going a bit crazy...but logging it and actually although it's not at all what I *should* be eating I was technically within maintenance calories...the big maintenance number scares me especially when I add in exercise. I really don't feel comfortable eating NET 1930...I don't mind eating that amount it if I've done exercise (just about) but net...nooooo.....I've not even been NETTING 1500 though my journey, so because I eat lots of cleanish food I would actually explode to eat net 1930....ARGH. I guess I have to just keep trying different things and work out what's working/not at the end of January....Got to get my head around deadlines and Christmas first....!?
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,894 Member
    Hello all, here is my update:
    Well, I am almost finished my Christmas baking which is good because tomorrow night I see 3 of the ladies that I give tins of goodies to. I ate one piece of each thing I made. I know I said I was not going to eat them, but the first one that comes out of the pan is usually mangled or broken so I ate it. It gave me enough of a taste that I did not need to eat a lot. Last year, I had to remake some things because I ate so many of them that I did not have enough to fill my Christmas tins.

I went to the doctor today and they were floored. I had not been since the beginning of September and they could not believe how much weight I had lost. My AIC (blood sugar) was down to 6.1 from 6.9 so I am going in the right direction. Blood pressure was 100 over 65 and there was absolutely no protein in my urine. All really good signs. He did not change my medication yet, but said that if I keep going in that direction, maybe next time.

I ran up and down the stairs this afternoon. My dog followed me down the stairs and when I turned around and ran back up, he was not sure what to do. He started to follow me back up but before he got to the top, I was on my way back down. After doing this twice, he looked at me and went and laid down by the back door. I guess he just can't keep up with my anymore. I did just over 500. Gotta say, I liked the scissor kicks today. I really felt them in my abs, not necessarily in my inner thighs. Perhaps I was not doing them right.

I was checking out what was on tap for tomorrow and checked out the laughing yoga. I think I will need to make sure nobody is around when I do that or they may think I lost my mind.

Penny, I hope you feel better soon. When you feel crappy it is hard to get the energy or enthusiasm to do much of anything. do what you can and don't feel guilty if you can't get it all in.

Hope everyone is having a great December so far. Keep it healthy my friends. Carla
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Okay, so I did do more stairs last night so I could get to 600 (just incase I can count that extra point Becky). And bought myself some flowers (which kind of made my hubby feel like he was slacking until I explained) But I also have a question about the hip rolls. I learned something we called hip rolls in belly dance class but when I searched online I also found another exercise that was called a hip roll that involved lying on your back. Which ones are we talking aobut here? The belly dance ones I know and they make me feel hot, hot, hot so of course I want to do those ones but if you say the others then I will do those. LOL
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 717 Member
    I can't believe it is only a little over a week until Christmas. It is so busy at work, busy at home that I need to make an appointment to put my info on the Challenge worksheet. I keep plugging along, making headway every day and taking inspiration from everyone. Have a great day!!!!

Pam
  • hi all, i still havent had time to read thread for last few pages
    and still "catching up" on the days
    but i'm still in it

my good news - i reached half way today! 74.5lbs!

so busy days and nites but hope to properly catch up soon!

xo

i just wanted to see my ticker and its saying i lost 275 - something wrong, anyone have any ideas? i've gone in to switch and all data is right???? 275 lost????
  • figured out my ticker, i had accidentally added 200lbs to my loss! oy
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 717 Member
    I am in a Christmas challenge then I am going to change my starting weight to what I was a month before I started MFP. I think I deserve the credit for losing 13# on my own before I found all of you.

Pam
  • carhicks
    my good news - i reached half way today! 74.5lbs!

congratulations, that is absolutely fantastic Tina. :flowerforyou:
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Staci: Flash Challenges are just for the 5 points.. he, he, he. I want to say to count the extra point... but then it makes your total out of 501 instead of 500. LOL. For the Hip Rolls - I was talking about the ones on the floor. See this video:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/lower-abdominal-hip-roll.html

However, if the hip roll you were thinking of from Belly dancing is similar to the hip-hop dancing hip roll... those are perfectly OK too!

You choose which one you want to do! My bigger goal with this challenge was about trying new exercises and having 30 different exercises (woops - 31) during the month! So, go ahead and do the one that makes you feel hot, hot, hot! That's even more fun! I know that I didn't do any "dance hip rolls" for exercises this month... so it's not a repeat and I say - count it! Woot! Woot!

Actually... I have an idea! Thank Stac (that's right... STAC not Staci) for this one!

FLASH CHALLENGE FOR FRIDAY 12/16/11:

Do something that makes you feel hot, hot, hot! It doesn't have to be anything public... just do something that honors that part of you that is one hot mama! It can be undercover or public... Try something - maybe it's wearing sexy lingerie under your business clothes or it's writing a hot love note to your partner. Maybe it's putting on extra makeup and something a bit more skimpy than normal and going out for a glass of wine. Maybe it's reading a romance novel or being a little naughty on the phone. I don't care what it is and I don't even think that you need to share it... you need to acknowledge that you did it by saying that you did the flash challenge and are taking the points!

he, he, he... I love this one! The lesson or purpose of this one... simply to remember that our hotness and sexiness is NOT determined by our size - it's about our attitude. So, enjoy your beauty and the uniqueness of you - and do something HOT!
  • ok, just got to reading back a few pages
    thanks carla for the congrats on the halfway

will attempt the stairs today - but i'm just on day 1.5 of this ****ty cold - so i may hold off on all exercises

My update:
    last week was awful- i hate not seeing the scale move, then i forget at the end of a plateau the pattern has been to lose a bit more than normal
    and here i am today at 75.5! so i've almost caught up!
    December 26th will be 8 months that i'm on my last diet - that's now what i'm referring to it as
    and i'm not giving myself a number (like i wanted 70 for 7 months) because this month has been less weight - so i wonder is it getting harder to lose?

i'm FINALLY PAST the half way point (even if it's just 1 lb) and it's taken 7.5 months to get here

i'm looking forward to my cheat day when i head up to the inlaws on Xmas day - i'm actually bringing provolone cheese (hard to find here) and making a grilled cheese sandwich - because i'm CRAVING ONE!! (i'm no wheat/no sugar) and i'm also going to Avoca (google it, the most awesome store/restaurant/bakery in Ireland) and buying a double chocolate cheese cake - because his mother is ****e on desserts! is it so wrong to spend an entire month planning what i'll eat on one day a month?
    we fly home to america on New Year's Eve and i fear i will gain - but my goal is to not gain/maintain - i will walk or swim almost every day and hopefully that will combat the bag of Bugles/cheetohs i will have strapped to my face for 2 weeks....expats are you with me?

thank you again for this wonderful challenge - i'm trying/learning alot!!! xoxoxo
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Beck I am loving the challenge but I am afraid I am going to bow out....just too much going on and everything being impeded by not feeling great. I would do this again in a heartbeat though!!
  • andilynn82
    andilynn82 Posts: 75 Member
    Just checking in really quick to say I did the flash challenge :) I'm away from home for the weekend and the spreadsheet doesn't load on my phone, so I'll update on Sunday.
  • carhicks
    Well for the flash challenge I went out and bought myself some new undies. Couple of sizes smaller and they are hipsters. That little bit of material actually covered my cheeks and it felt hot not to wear granny panties.

I can't believe how sore my *kitten* was the day after the glute kickbacks. When I did them, I did not think I felt anything, then the next day, OMG! I think I will add them to my weekly routine. I have a hard time with the planks, but will try to get in five by the end of the day.

I did not do the laughing yoga. I could not find a time or a place to complete this. My husband has been teasing me about some of the meditation and accupressure stuff, but too bad, I did it anyway. If has been fun.

I haven't had any trouble getting in the nutrition goals, but the self-care stuff has been harder to get in. I guess it is true that we do not really take care of ourselves. I will try harder.

Well, we have a party to get to, I will try not to overeat and log everything. Keep it healthy everyone. Carla
  • lombrica
    Hope everyone is doing well! It's been kinda quiet... and I as guilty as anyone! But... I am determined to keep working on this challenge. It's kinda hard cause I just want to not think about anything and not do anything! Maybe it's the one year funk?!? I don't know... but I am determined to be back on track.
  • hi
    just read your last post
    i was away for the weekend and i am just coming up for air to check my email!
    the next 2 days are INSANE for me
    make hanukkah latkes for 20, kid concert, ladybirds singing at nursing home, hanukkah party an hour away
    next day - xmas breakfast with girls, clean, hanukkah party
    so on wed nite i will curl up with my laptop, see what i've missed, make a list of what i will make up exercise wise (the way i've been doing this challenge all month tbh) and then i will disappear again over xmas when i'm at the inlaws

but i'll see it through for new years!

just to let u know i'm still here :)

hope everyone is doing well
    i've been sick since thursday - (even with the travel) and i havent exercised since thursday, first break i've taken in months, going to try to do my walk in the morning and get back on it!

thanks!!!!
    xo
  • Ziggie13
    Ziggie13 Posts: 248
    Becky,

It was foggy most of the day not much sun and no fireplace (closed up) does a 20 min nap, in a heated blanket count?
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Sorry, all I haven't been checking in regularly. I have been doing challenge activities though and didn't read all the way through the flach challenge for last Friday. I did it though. I will just say lots of fun:blushing: Things are crazy this week but I am hoping to get back to a little more of a routine soon. Love you all and miss chatting with you.
  • lombrica
    Becky,

It was foggy most of the day not much sun and no fireplace (closed up) does a 20 min nap, in a heated blanket count?

ABSOLUTELY!! I love that adaptation!
  • Ziggie13
    Becky,

ABSOLUTELY!! I love that adaptation!

:bigsmile: Thank you for the Christmas card it is cute.
  • Ziggie13
    Where is eveyone? Did u move to a new page?