starting today...

Options
kelseyhere
kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
I just got the book in the mail and started reading it over the weekend. I've got my chart all ready and today after work I'm heading straight to the gym for Stage 1, workout A. I can't wait!

Replies

• Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!! Let us know how it goes!!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I started today too! Good luck!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I hope it goes well! I truly love this program! :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,930 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 6 of training-for-life - but I have ordered my copy of Nrol4W. I'm trying to figure out WHAT stage I should start at, though - because by the time it comes I'll have been heavy-lifting for 8 weeks.

So, my question is, for kelsey, what does the book say if you've already been working out for some time?

thedreamhazer - you like this program because?? (where are you seeing 'changes' in your anatomy??)

Thank you, in advance, for considering my questions!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Good luck and let us know how it went!
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    woohooo! I got my book as well and plan to read it while in Florida over the next two weeks and then I am starting the program January 9th. Looking forward to this!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I got my book last night!! And, I read it into the wee hours of this morning!!

PSYCHED!!

So, I'll keep doing training-for-life until the end of December. That will give me some time to get comfy with how to chart with Nrol4W and what a "routine" will actually look like.

Can someone please tell me how LONG the workouts should take (in Stage 1) - 30 minutes? 45 minutes? what?? I have to budget my time and I'm pretty fanatical about how long I have to do a routine.

....off to read the Stage 1 board to see how the ladies progressed through it.

....I must say I *wish* the book had some before/after pics - that's one of the things that REALLY got me motivated about training-for-life!!
  • carrie_eggo
    Options
    I got my book last night!! And, I read it into the wee hours of this morning!!

PSYCHED!!

So, I'll keep doing training-for-life until the end of December. That will give me some time to get comfy with how to chart with Nrol4W and what a "routine" will actually look like.

Can someone please tell me how LONG the workouts should take (in Stage 1) - 30 minutes? 45 minutes? what?? I have to budget my time and I'm pretty fanatical about how long I have to do a routine.

....off to read the Stage 1 board to see how the ladies progressed through it.

....I must say I *wish* the book had some before/after pics - that's one of the things that REALLY got me motivated about training-for-life!!

I'm actually a little bummed because Stage 1 is only taking me like 25 minutes to do.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    carrieogg, is that because you have 100% familiarity with the routine?? (I haven't looked at the details of the routine, yet.)

I prefer shorter work-outs, heavier weights. But, by summer, I'll be saying the opposite (I can devote more time in the summer to exercise pursuits than I can in the winter.)

What stage are you on, carrie?? Care to post how your journey is going?? (If that is a picture of you, you look pretty fabulous...which certainly spurs me on with great motivation!
  • carrie_eggo
    Options
    carrieogg, is that because you have 100% familiarity with the routine?? (I haven't looked at the details of the routine, yet.)

I prefer shorter work-outs, heavier weights. But, by summer, I'll be saying the opposite (I can devote more time in the summer to exercise pursuits than I can in the winter.)

What stage are you on, carrie?? Care to post how your journey is going?? (If that is a picture of you, you look pretty fabulous...which certainly spurs me on with great motivation!

Thanks :) I am familiar with lifting in general. I recently did a 6 week strength program called Butt Bible (lol...I know). In all seriousness, it was a great workout but I used 3,5,and 8lb weights. I decided to start lifting heavier after that. Before I got NROLFW I read a book by Tom Venuto called "The Body Fat Solution" where he advocated a weight lifting routine as a way to lose fat (as opposed to strictly cardio). So for about 2 or 3 weeks before I started NROL, I was doing weight lifting workouts from that book.

I actually just started Stage 1 this week (I have done both workouts A and B in that stage now). The plan has 7 (I think) different stages. Stage 1 utilizes periodization (using different training variables--weight used, reps completed, exercises selected, rest periods between sets--over a period of time, in this case, the few weeks it takes to complete stage 1). So to start, they have you doing 2 sets of 15 reps. It progresses to less reps, and more sets-- hoping you're using heavier weights.

For my first time doing the workouts in stage 1, I wanted to be able to complete all of the reps. Maybe I chose too light of weights and went too fast. My muscles got fatigued, but it just felt like too little of a workout. I don't know.... I guess I'm still in the trial and error stage too. Or maybe I'm still used to the fatigue (for lack of a better word) from an intensive cardio workout. :)

It progresses down to 12 reps after the first 2 workouts and then down again to 10 after 2 more so I am going to stick with the program and see what happens. I plan on (hopefully) increasing the weight, so I'm sure that will make it feel like more of a workout. But, I don't think it will take that much more time...which is a good thing, I guess!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    yes, I'm already lifting pretty heavy weights, too....so, I don't want to go back to wimpy weights and 15 reps. I guess I'd better dig into the book a little bit more to determine what it is asking of me!

I am familiar with quite a number of weight "moves", but I'm still gonna photocopy the pages from the book and create a clip-board situation. Because I work-out alone (no gym buddy), I want to make sure my form is good. A number of the "bent-over" poses intimidate me because I have lower-back issues and I don't want to pop my back!

(Then again, I've been strengthening my back, so maybe I'm in better shape than I think I am!)

Thank you for the information, carrieogg...it's kind of nice to not have to walk this journey ALL ALONE!
  • carrie_eggo
    Options

Thank you for the information, carrieogg...it's kind of nice to not have to walk this journey ALL ALONE!

Yes, it's nice to have this group. You can call me Carrie if you want... :)
    I don't think it's bad to modify the exercises if you need to. I have a home gym and I have to modify a little because I don't have a pulley machine or a squat rack.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Okay, since I've made the decision to switch from BFL to Nrol4W, I'm WAY too excited not to just START. I read the whole book, again, last night. I don't think I'm eating enough calories, and am trying to figure out how to add some whey protein powder to the various things that I eat, so as to increase calories/protein at the same time.

Today, I'm going to do a full-body work-out - form BFL. This is my last work-out until Tuesday, so I'm going to hit it all (which normally I would split over 2 work-outs!). And then, on Tuesday, I'm going to jump into Stage 1 of Nrol4W, but I'm going to start at work-out 3A (and then 3B)....I don't think I need the 12-rep work-outs and would rather use heavier weights and start in at the 10-rep workouts.

I had my husband take photos, yesterday, to have some "proof" of progress over the next 6 months. But, I'd be lying if I didn't state that I'm hoping I'm looking very muscular by end of February (trip to Hawaii). I have muscle definition (particularly upper body), so it's really my lower body I want to smarten up in the next 2 months....and then carry it forward for the remainder of the program.

See you in Stage 1!!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm WAY too excited not to just START.

I'm also psyched to just get started with this... I was thinking about waiting until after the first of the year, but why wait?? Now I'm thinking I'll get started on Tuesday.

I do have a question for those who are well into the program already - I take a boxing class twice a week (Mondays & Wednesdays) and its a pretty intense class... I was thinking of adjusting my lifting schedule around this (so i would lift on tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays). Do you think this would be too much?? I really dont want to give up boxing...
  • carrie_eggo
    Options
    Okay, since I've made the decision to switch from BFL to Nrol4W, I'm WAY too excited not to just START. I read the whole book, again, last night. I don't think I'm eating enough calories, and am trying to figure out how to add some whey protein powder to the various things that I eat, so as to increase calories/protein at the same time.

Today, I'm going to do a full-body work-out - form BFL. This is my last work-out until Tuesday, so I'm going to hit it all (which normally I would split over 2 work-outs!). And then, on Tuesday, I'm going to jump into Stage 1 of Nrol4W, but I'm going to start at work-out 3A (and then 3B)....I don't think I need the 12-rep work-outs and would rather use heavier weights and start in at the 10-rep workouts.

I had my husband take photos, yesterday, to have some "proof" of progress over the next 6 months. But, I'd be lying if I didn't state that I'm hoping I'm looking very muscular by end of February (trip to Hawaii). I have muscle definition (particularly upper body), so it's really my lower body I want to smarten up in the next 2 months....and then carry it forward for the remainder of the program.

See you in Stage 1!!

YAY!!! :bigsmile:
  • carrie_eggo
    Options
    I'm WAY too excited not to just START.

I'm also psyched to just get started with this... I was thinking about waiting until after the first of the year, but why wait?? Now I'm thinking I'll get started on Tuesday.

I do have a question for those who are well into the program already - I take a boxing class twice a week (Mondays & Wednesdays) and its a pretty intense class... I was thinking of adjusting my lifting schedule around this (so i would lift on tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays). Do you think this would be too much?? I really dont want to give up boxing...

I think if you are careful and listen to your body you can do it all. I think the book gives you signs of undereating/overtraining. As long as you give your body rest once in a while I think you're ok. Maybe just lift twice a week if you think it will be too much.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Well, the good news is that I started Nrol4W today - Workout 3A. The bad news? I am not NEARLY as *strong* as I thought I was. I had to reduce my squats from the 45 lb. barbell that just sits there, to a 30 lb. barbell - I couldn't get my thighs parallel with teh 45. :( So, that SUCKED.

I couldn't do enough push-ups straight up - so I had to use the 45 degree bench. OMG. I just about CRIED. CRIED.

My rows were 55 lbs. Fine - I did those in BFL, so I wasn't surprised at that.

And, my step-ups I had to reduce from 15 lbs. to 12 lbs.

My god, I am simply PISSED OFF that I did all that Body-for-Life jazz over the last 6 weeks and have NOT seen the "improvement" I would have expected.

Anyway, I'm in-it-to-win-it, so I will increase these weights at my next work-out, for sure.

This work-out took me WAY longer than the 25 minutes it took Carrie....I think it was 45 minutes, plus warm-up and cool-down.

Truth is, I want to be strong, QUICK - but if Nrol4W doesn't get me there, then I just want to be STRONG. I have adjusted my "expectations" in this regard...I don't think I can get *there* by my Hawaii trip in March. So, I'll aim to be one strong-*kitten* fit chick by June, 2012. And lifting ****-heavy objects everywhere I go.
  • kelseyhere
    Options
    Hey Beeps, sorry for my slow reply, I've been off the forums because of Christmas but now I'm back. The workouts take me 25-35 minutes, depending on how busy the gym is. Trying to gather the equipment I need when it's busy is tough sometimes, so if you can, I recommend going to the gym at off hours.

I am an experienced lifter, but I still decided to start at stage 1. I figure to get the maximum results, I should just start from the beginning. I also want to gradually increase strength and starting at a later stage I don't think I'd get that benefit. Starting from the beginning is also beneficial because earlier on you work on form. Later on the moves get more complicated to you want to have that good, strong form already built in.

DarkAngel- In regards to your boxing question, I think as long as you have no pain, that's a perfect schedule. I lift M-W-F and T-Th I do Les Mills Body Attack which is a pretty intense cardio class. I'm young, but I have no problems, no pain and am not too tired. By Friday though, I'm ready for my rest days :) Also on my lifting days I start with a 10-20 minute cardio warm-up.
  • kelseyhere
    Options

Thanks :) I am familiar with lifting in general. I recently did a 6 week strength program called Butt Bible (lol...I know). In all seriousness, it was a great workout but I used 3,5,and 8lb weights. I decided to start lifting heavier after that. Before I got NROLFW I read a book by Tom Venuto called "The Body Fat Solution" where he advocated a weight lifting routine as a way to lose fat (as opposed to strictly cardio). So for about 2 or 3 weeks before I started NROL, I was doing weight lifting workouts from that book.

I actually just started Stage 1 this week (I have done both workouts A and B in that stage now). The plan has 7 (I think) different stages. Stage 1 utilizes periodization (using different training variables--weight used, reps completed, exercises selected, rest periods between sets--over a period of time, in this case, the few weeks it takes to complete stage 1). So to start, they have you doing 2 sets of 15 reps. It progresses to less reps, and more sets-- hoping you're using heavier weights.

For my first time doing the workouts in stage 1, I wanted to be able to complete all of the reps. Maybe I chose too light of weights and went too fast. My muscles got fatigued, but it just felt like too little of a workout. I don't know.... I guess I'm still in the trial and error stage too. Or maybe I'm still used to the fatigue (for lack of a better word) from an intensive cardio workout. :)

It progresses down to 12 reps after the first 2 workouts and then down again to 10 after 2 more so I am going to stick with the program and see what happens. I plan on (hopefully) increasing the weight, so I'm sure that will make it feel like more of a workout. But, I don't think it will take that much more time...which is a good thing, I guess!

Haha, Carrie I've done those Butt Bible videos too! My cable company offers exercise videos for free and those are always on there. I actually like them to get a quick workout in when I don't have time for something else. I love the instructor! She cracks me up when she's talking about cracking nuts between your buns.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Today was Workout 3B, Stage 1 - I did MUCH better at this workout! Tomorrow is a rest day, but I think I will do HIIT. And, Friday it is back to Workout 4A, Stage 1.