The jesus story isn't original

Options

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into the Dead Sea Scrolls. At least one book of the OT is present (Isaiah, as it happens, the book most frequently cited as containing prophetic Christian material), 100% consistent with current versions, and about 150 years prior to Christ. For what it is worth.
    That's nice. But it ain't the bible that so many christians cherish as their book of choice to follow.

Well, actually all Christians that I know of have Isaiah in the Old Testament. The point is that we have physical evidence that Isaiah existed centuries before the time of Jesus and Isaiah’s prophecies of Jesus are some of the most amazing and cherished among Christians. The “Dead Sea Scrolls” refers to thousands of manuscripts or portions of them that we discovered in the mid-20th century. They are the remains of a library belonging to a first-century Jewish sect that lived in the deserts by the Dead Sea. Much of what was found there was copies of Old Testament books of the Bible.
  • macpatti
    Options
    I'm not making my point clearly here. I'm not saying people in 300 years will believe in Harry Potter. In fact, I know they won't. But what I am saying is if you interchange the word "magic" with "miracles," then yes- I think it's possible. If framed properly, people will believe it. Look at Scientology. That farce of a religion was designed to make money and was created less than a century ago. It currently boasts 8 million followers (though like most religions, those numbers are padded with non-practicing), and has been identified as a legitimate religion. With proper branding, people would buy it.

What Jesus did could easily be equated to magic tricks, slight of hand, etc. But call it miracles, and suddenly people believe it. I don't know- I wasn't there. But I'll personally take science over hearsay any day.

Scientology is a self-help movement that thrives because of its secretiveness and claims of success. My guess is that it will die off when it ceases to be a fad among the Hollywood types. We’ll have to wait and see, I guess. In any case, I don’t see anything in Scientology that is comparable to Christianity so far as the way in which it arose and the kinds of claims upon which it is based. I have never heard of Scientology claims of miracles like those we find in the Bible.

Concerning Jesus, I’m not sure how you produce a resurrection of yourself after a Roman crucifixion.

Concerning science, I’ve had this argument before but I can’t seem to find anybody who claims to follow science only that can support that claim. First, you live your life each day by “faith” in countless ways. Even your trust in science is largely based on faith, I suppose, unless you are a professional scientist who has experimentally “proven” every conclusion you accept. Additionally, science is based on a series of assumptions that cannot be demonstrated by the scientific method but are assumed by it (e.g., the reliability of our senses, the soundness of our logical reasoning, including inductive an deductive logic, that reality is orderly/regular and predictable, that human thought corresponds to and has the power to understand the workings of nature).

If you realize that human life is largely an exercise in faith and if you believe in God, miracles are quite possible. In other words, your world-view excludes the possibility of miracles and therefore you are not open to the evidence for them. If you came to believe in God you might find the evidence quite attractive. Your approach systematically excludes the possibility of miracles and therefore you cannot look at the evidence objectively. You lump all claims of miracle into the same category but you would not do that for science. There have been plenty of failures of science as well as hoaxes in the name of science. That doesn’t destroy your general confidence in it, however. I believe God can do miracles. I look at claims of miracles to weed out the good from the bad. Your “theory” doesn’t allow you to take this objective approach.
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm going to address a few of your specifics here, as I am a legitimate actual scientist. I am a psychological researcher who abides by the scientific method, and so sound scientific reasoning is something that, yes, I have a great deal of faith in. That does not undermine it's legitimacy. Scientific research, combined with my faith in it's methods and results add to my assertions. You have faith alone, no scientific support. Point one for science.
    Scientology is a self-help movement that thrives because of its secretiveness and claims of success. My guess is that it will die off when it ceases to be a fad among the Hollywood types.

I sure hope so. Many religions come and go, and few have enjoyed the fellowship of Christianity, but that does not mean that Christianity is the one true religion. That's a logical fallacy. Just because many agree, doesn't make it so. Many people believe that if you shave your hair, it will grow back thicker and darker. That is patently false. Thanks to physics, it puts across the perception of being thicker and darker, but it is not actually so. I would be happy to elaborate, but that is a discussion for another time.
    Concerning Jesus, I’m not sure how you produce a resurrection of yourself after a Roman crucifixion.

Neither am I. I'm also not inclined to take the word of a book published long ago without any historical support aside from it's own text and other canonized texts as fact. How do I know that he was actually a)real, b)crucified, and c)risen?
    First, you live your life each day by “faith” in countless ways. Even your trust in science is largely based on faith

Agreed. But it's not faith alone. It's faith and the results that come from experimentation.
    unless you are a professional scientist who has experimentally “proven” every conclusion you accept

I am a professional scientist, but I must say that I am disappointed in any professional scientists you have met if they ever use the word "prove." We do not, and cannot prove anything for exactly the reasons you've outlined-the faith in our methods of measurement may be misplaced. We cannot be sure our methods are reliable and valid, and so we do not prove. We show, we provide support, but we never prove. Science is an iterative process which results in supporting literature which leads us to ultimately provide an assertion. One which can be revoked when new evidence suggests we are wrong. This is why the "an egg is good for you, an egg is bad for you" debate rages on. We cannot prove, only show.

This is why I am agnostic, not an atheist. In my mind, absolutism is folly in either direction. I am more inclined to believe the preponderance of evidence which suggests that there is no god, but a scientist to the core, I refuse to outright state that it is impossible. Improbable, yes. Impossible, no.
    If you realize that human life is largely an exercise in faith and if you believe in God, miracles are quite possible.

That's one heck of an assumption of fact. And no, I don't. So sadly, I guess a miracle will never materialize for me. Oh well.
    If you came to believe in God you might find the evidence quite attractive.

I did once. It was the attraction of science and logic which led me away from it. I wanted to believe so badly, I wanted it to be true. Ultimately, my logic prevailed- and I am much happier for it.

You lump all claims of miracle into the same category but you would not do that for science. There have been plenty of failures of science as well as hoaxes in the name of science. That doesn’t destroy your general confidence in it, however. I believe God can do miracles. I look at claims of miracles to weed out the good from the bad. Your “theory” doesn’t allow you to take this objective approach.

Here you seem to be making the incorrect assumption that I am an atheist. Indeed, I am not. As I have stated throughout my argument, I am agnostic. Therefore, I acknowledge that there may be a god. Truly, I do believe it is possible. I just highly doubt it because of the lack of proof. And no, the failures of science do not diminish my faith in the scientific method. If anything, it strengthens it. For something to be falsifiable, for something to be testable, that means we can answer some questions. Philosophy, religion, psychoanalysis (the early Freudian stuff)- all those are experiments for the mind, not truly testable theories. In the search of truth, if we had no failures, I would have no trust in the findings. Null results are valuable in their own right, because they show us that one path is closed, but we can test all the other paths too. Religion does not allow for such awesomeness.

Please do not take this as a personal attack on your religion. Religion does a good many things for a good many people. It also does ill. So long as you act responsibly with your religion, and do not do harm to people who believe differently than you, then I have no quarrels with your beliefs.
  • loved11
    loved11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is the perfect example of the elitist attitude that Christians have.

quote]
    Emphasis on the virgin birth is very important here or else jesus really is nothing more than a mortal being a prophet instead of the son of god as claimed. It's part of catholic mass, christian faith and really what separates them from other religions. So for the 2 apostles to not even mention such an important detail...........well. It's like saying here "just eat clean" and you'll be okay, but leaving out the detail that you'd still have to be in calorie deficit to lose weight. Kinda important to keep that in and not in "silence".
    Also why not just let kids grow up without any religion at all and then let the "holy spirit" touch them when it's ready? Conversion happens when others CONVINCE others. In the Philippines for example, if there were no missionaries, they probably would still be believing in the superstitions ( which are still imminant today) and spirits before they were converted. If the "holy spirit" really touched them, then they wouldn't need missionaries to go there.
    Things that are taught in school are relevant for actual knowledge to survive in the world. Man can most certainly survive without christianity. The Muslims, Buddists, Taoists, have done it for thousands of years.
    The question really is was jesus really the son of god, or just another mythological tale? What signifies he was? Was there a prophecy that he really would be the one? Waiting to counter this.

1. Your first sentence is simply a non sequitur. If Jesus had a human father that would no more require that Jesus is "nothing more than a mortal man" than the fact that he had a human mother requires that he is "nothing more than a mortal man." I believe Jesus did not have a human father but your logic here simply is not convincing. What makes it impossible that God could unite himself to a human nature ("Incarnation") that is produced through normal human procreation? I see nothing that makes this impossible.

2. The birth of Jesus is not what separates Christianity from other religions. Muslims, for instance, admit the virgin birth of Jesus but deny his death on the cross. Regarding the Catholic mass, the center of the mass is the Last Supper of Jesus and sacramental participation in the sacrifice of Jesus. The focus is simply not on the birth of Jesus.

3. You keep referring to "two Apostles" not mentioning the birth of Jesus (presumably you are referring to the two Gospels that do not mention the birth of Jesus). First, one of those Gospels was not written by an Apostle (Mark). The other one (John) is apparently written to supplement Matthew, Mark and Luke and therefore very rarely repeats the same things they present. I get the feeling you lack the basic familiarity with the New Testament that is required to adequately evaluate your claims.

4. By raising kids without sharing your religious faith you are teaching them an attitude towards religion. You are telling them that your religion means so little to you that you don't even want to share it with them. If I have something wonderful that I want my kids to share and experience, I make it available to them.

5. The Holy Spirit works through human instruments. What you are suggesting is a very unChristian approach; what you are describing is more like Gnosticism. Christians believe that God is known and revealed through his creation. This is one of the central reasons that we believe God became "incarnate" in Jesus. God draws near to humans within the creation rather than in spite of it.

6. Yes, conversions take place when people are convinced. That must mean that a lot of people have found Christianity convincing through the centuries. Again, you make an illogical leap by implying the Holy Spirit acts without means or instruments.

7. Concerning things taught in school, you miss my point. I was simply pointing out that just because something is taught doesn't mean it is wrong. I would argue that religious faith is a vital force for developing virtue and moral goodness in human communities and that it provides an organizing framework for interpreting one's existence and meaning in the world. Schools don't necessarily teach this (although many have and do throughout our history) but they do presuppose a framework for understanding things that is expressed in the other specific disciplines tha are taught in school.

8. Many things signify Jesus was the Son of God. One is that he predicted he would die and rise again from the dead. Those who saw him alive after his death died affirming it was true. Christianity is a historical effect of that claim. I believe it is true. To say that this is the only reason to believe Jesus is the Son of God, however, would be a radical understatement. If you ask a man or woman who loves his/her spouse, tell me in one setence why you trust your spouse, he/she would probably find it difficult to answer. An informed Christian will also find it difficult to offer a brief answer. I'm convinced Jesus is the Son of God because I believe the entire Old Testament prepares for his coming (and yes, there are many prophecies suggesting many things about Jesus). I can't read Isaiah 53, for instance, without seeing Jesus predicted in every line. I'm convinced Jesus is the Son of God because his teachings resonate with me. I find his words, actions, authority, and love convincing and compelling. I find my life profoundly enriched in every way by the beliefs and guidance of Christianity. I could go on and on but obviously none of this is convincing to you without having shared the same experiences. Like the person who has not loved a wonderful husband or wife finds it difficult to understand what such a love is like, so it is, I'm afraid, that those who lack the experience of the beauty of Christianity will only misunderstand.
    [/quote]
  • macpatti
    Options
    This is the perfect example of the elitist attitude that Christians have.

Care to explain your opinion?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    Okay let's discuss the "virgin birth" to help dispell the so called prophecy from the old testament. IMO, without the virgin birth, jesus was no more than just a man preaching about some magical being. Now if it could be proven that the actual birth happened, well I might change my mind.
    Realistically I can't think of anyone who would believe that with the exception of IVF, that a female today could be impregnated without sex. Somehow christians believe that this story of jesus supercedes other man-god stories because of some prophecy.
    First off let's find the scripture to prove it. I'll leave that up to christians to post.
    I'll give you a hint: it's in Isiah.

Seems like you're more interested in playing games than actually debating. If you know the scripture enough to give a hint, why are you posing the question?
    Our debate with the original story keeps running off in tangents. I'm trying to get a reasonable reason as to why jesus story really is really true compared to other man god stories of mythology.
    I've already stated that jesus story isn't original. It's a copy cat. So now burden of proof is on christians to show me in what way it's not. I'll even accept scripture from the bible from this.
    Continue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Seriously. How long to children believe there is a Santa Claus? 8-9 years, tops for most?
    Yes. But if you keep feeding them that he was real they may believe it until they die. IMO that's what christianity does. Keep the dream alive.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    That's the point. The New Testament was written 100-300 years after the supposed events occurred. Who's to say whether or not people will believe Harry Potter was a real guy in 100-300 years. Probably no one, but you change that word "magic" to "miracles," and suddenly you have a following.

I think you're insulting the human intellect by suggesting some people in 100-300 years will believe Harry Potter is a real guy. Quite a difference between magic, movie special effects, and miracles performed by Jesus.
    If the world suffered a major catastrophe, and books survived, and a 100,000 years later "new" humans discovered them, how would they know that Harry Potter wasn't real if they had no evidence?

IDEA Fitness member
  • macpatti
    Options
    I'm going to address a few of your specifics here, as I am a legitimate actual scientist. I am a psychological researcher who abides by the scientific method, and so sound scientific reasoning is something that, yes, I have a great deal of faith in. That does not undermine it's legitimacy. Scientific research, combined with my faith in it's methods and results add to my assertions. You have faith alone, no scientific support. Point one for science.
    Scientology is a self-help movement that thrives because of its secretiveness and claims of success. My guess is that it will die off when it ceases to be a fad among the Hollywood types.

I sure hope so. Many religions come and go, and few have enjoyed the fellowship of Christianity, but that does not mean that Christianity is the one true religion. That's a logical fallacy. Just because many agree, doesn't make it so. Many people believe that if you shave your hair, it will grow back thicker and darker. That is patently false. Thanks to physics, it puts across the perception of being thicker and darker, but it is not actually so. I would be happy to elaborate, but that is a discussion for another time.

Neither am I. I'm also not inclined to take the word of a book published long ago without any historical support aside from it's own text and other canonized texts as fact. How do I know that he was actually a)real, b)crucified, and c)risen?
    First, you live your life each day by “faith” in countless ways. Even your trust in science is largely based on faith

Agreed. But it's not faith alone. It's faith and the results that come from experimentation.
    unless you are a professional scientist who has experimentally “proven” every conclusion you accept

I am a professional scientist, but I must say that I am disappointed in any professional scientists you have met if they ever use the word "prove." We do not, and cannot prove anything for exactly the reasons you've outlined-the faith in our methods of measurement may be misplaced. We cannot be sure our methods are reliable and valid, and so we do not prove. We show, we provide support, but we never prove. Science is an iterative process which results in supporting literature which leads us to ultimately provide an assertion. One which can be revoked when new evidence suggests we are wrong. This is why the "an egg is good for you, an egg is bad for you" debate rages on. We cannot prove, only show.

This is why I am agnostic, not an atheist. In my mind, absolutism is folly in either direction. I am more inclined to believe the preponderance of evidence which suggests that there is no god, but a scientist to the core, I refuse to outright state that it is impossible. Improbable, yes. Impossible, no.
    If you realize that human life is largely an exercise in faith and if you believe in God, miracles are quite possible.

That's one heck of an assumption of fact. And no, I don't. So sadly, I guess a miracle will never materialize for me. Oh well.
    If you came to believe in God you might find the evidence quite attractive.

I did once. It was the attraction of science and logic which led me away from it. I wanted to believe so badly, I wanted it to be true. Ultimately, my logic prevailed- and I am much happier for it.

You lump all claims of miracle into the same category but you would not do that for science. There have been plenty of failures of science as well as hoaxes in the name of science. That doesn’t destroy your general confidence in it, however. I believe God can do miracles. I look at claims of miracles to weed out the good from the bad. Your “theory” doesn’t allow you to take this objective approach.

Here you seem to be making the incorrect assumption that I am an atheist. Indeed, I am not. As I have stated throughout my argument, I am agnostic. Therefore, I acknowledge that there may be a god. Truly, I do believe it is possible. I just highly doubt it because of the lack of proof. And no, the failures of science do not diminish my faith in the scientific method. If anything, it strengthens it. For something to be falsifiable, for something to be testable, that means we can answer some questions. Philosophy, religion, psychoanalysis (the early Freudian stuff)- all those are experiments for the mind, not truly testable theories. In the search of truth, if we had no failures, I would have no trust in the findings. Null results are valuable in their own right, because they show us that one path is closed, but we can test all the other paths too. Religion does not allow for such awesomeness.

Please do not take this as a personal attack on your religion. Religion does a good many things for a good many people. It also does ill. So long as you act responsibly with your religion, and do not do harm to people who believe differently than you, then I have no quarrels with your beliefs.

Thank you for your comments. Here are a few replies.

1. I never made the argument that Christianity is the only true religion because it has endured and many people like it. There may be other things that lead me to the conclusion that Christianity is, as we like to say, the “fullness of God’s revealed truth” in this world. As a Catholic, I certainly acknowledge that other religions have various “truths”; indeed, all people are able to access many things that are true by examining the world of their experience as well as their own interior conscious lives.

2.I know Jesus actually existed, was crucified and rose again using the standard criteria of historical investigation. If you ask how we know any event of the past really happened we would go through the normal ways that a valid memory of the past survives into the present. Very few serious historians that I know of find it credible to question the fact of Jesus and his death. Some argue that the resurrection is a “trans-historical” event since, if it happened, it could not be investigated using the normal criteria of historical research. On the other hand, I think the historical sources argue solidly for the conclusion that the “footprints” of the resurrection are deeply imprinted on history. Christianity is a historical effect of the claim of the resurrection. I recommend N. T. Wright’s book, “The Resurrection of the Son of God.” It is a very thorough discussion of the resurrection from a critical-historical perspective.

3.Christian faith also involves “experimentation.” It is largely of a different sort that the empirical/hard sciences since we are dealing with a world-view/framework choice. The better analogy for religious faith is interpersonal human experience since we are dealing with a kind of life-commitment, something science does not require of those who experiment. We may be able to draw general conclusions about the structures of human experience with respect to religious experience by cross-cultural and cross-historical analysis but we certainly can’t treat religious faith like we can the behavior of a molecule.

4.I appreciate your admission that “science does not prove.” I’m sure we could quibble about terminology and semantics but I think I see your point. I do disagree with your claim that the evidence supports the conclusion there is no God. If you begin to find an answer to that question with a Procrustean “grid,” of course you will not find God. For instance, if you will only accept a “quantitative” solution to a problem, you will obviously dismiss qualitative features of reality (as in the current mind-body debate in respect to “qualia”). If one begins to explore the question of God with an openness to a positive answer, I think there are profound reasons to believe in God.

5.Regarding your autobiographical description of your experience, there are plenty of others who went a very different path. I’ve made it a habit to read after people on different sides of this question and I find it increasingly obvious that it is not the scientific “evidence” that ultimately directs a person to a conclusion on God but a more fundamental, more metaphysical (in the classical philosophical sense) set of considerations.

6.Concerning the “testability” of religious claims and those of science, I do think religious claims are testable. In fact, history has a pretty large “trash dump” of tried and failed religions. The test will largely be one of coherence and explanatory power. Since religious systems are comprehensive of everything (at least the “great” ones), you cannot stand outside the system in order to judge its truth-value. You have to judge the religious system by its power to explain from within. My main point in my earlier remarks was that science operates based on a huge set of assumptions that cannot be demonstrated from within science. These include (as already indicated), the law of non-contradiction, logical laws (validity of inductive and deductive logic), validity of sense experience, the validity of thought when applied to material reality, etc. The scientist assumes these are valid and then proceeds to test and experiment and theorize. Christian faith claims that these more basic structures of reason that transcend empirical demonstration are expressions/evidences of a “Mind” that ultimately grounds all “knowing.” If you reject such a Mind, you are left to establish the validity of logic (if you choose to explore that question) solely from within the subjective individual mind (since you paradigmatically exclude a transcendent ground). The history of modern philosophy, beginning with Descartes, suggests this is a dead-end street. Once you admit the problem of establishing a certain link between subjectivity and objectivity and must do without a transcendent ground, it is philosophically impossible to “prove”, for instance, that the world of sense experience is anything more than an elaborate dream or experiment in a vat somewhere. Science largely ignores the whole matter and proceeds as if the foundations of human knowledge are certain but the more basic questions are left ignored in the background. If the certainty that we experience in our use of logical structures is a kind of “sharing” in a supreme Mind and if the “knowability” of the world by the human mind is an expression of the fact that it is ordered by a Mind that willed its existence, we have established an ultimate basis of confidence in our mental processes, sense experience, etc. You see, at the end of the day, a person must make an existential choice about whether reality is ultimately rational or if we are lost in subjectivity and have nothing upon which to ground the ineluctable certainty that we experience when we encounter reality.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You might want to look into the Dead Sea Scrolls. At least one book of the OT is present (Isaiah, as it happens, the book most frequently cited as containing prophetic Christian material), 100% consistent with current versions, and about 150 years prior to Christ. For what it is worth.
    That's nice. But it ain't the bible that so many christians cherish as their book of choice to follow.

Well, actually all Christians that I know of have Isaiah in the Old Testament. The point is that we have physical evidence that Isaiah existed centuries before the time of Jesus and Isaiah’s prophecies of Jesus are some of the most amazing and cherished among Christians. The “Dead Sea Scrolls” refers to thousands of manuscripts or portions of them that we discovered in the mid-20th century. They are the remains of a library belonging to a first-century Jewish sect that lived in the deserts by the Dead Sea. Much of what was found there was copies of Old Testament books of the Bible.
    Lol, Nostradamus has made many a "prophecy" and people who believe it can manipulate "evidence" to prove it. You've got to remember that interpretation makes a difference. For instance, isn't it true now that the mass in catholicism is changing responses because for some reason now they want to correct interpretation from Latin? Why did it take this long and are people in mass still getting used to it?

IDEA Fitness member
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all replies (got to page 2-ish) so this may have been answered.

But I'm just really curious what the proof of Jesus is? I have heard people say that there is historic evidence that Jesus lived, and I am really curious what it is.

Not doubting it, just curious as an agnostic-ish Pagan with Buddhist tendencies and a ridiculously open mind.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    “If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again.”
    ― Penn Jillette,
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    If everything Chis Angel has done was prophesied 1500 years ago, I'd believe it.....It's not that someone just came along and did a bunch of magic tricks. Jesus fulfilled prophesy from hundred of years prior
    Please find post the scripture from the Tanach that says that.

IDEA Fitness member

Not in the Tanach, but the book of Isaiah is full of prophesies and Isaiah is found in the dead sea scrolls which dates back a couple hundred years bc
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    If God didn't covet Mary, then why did he choose here specifically? Of course he coveted her. And it's hilarious that he needed her at all. Why not just make a man like he did Adam. Or one out of thin air. Why did he have to make him a baby So yes, I guess I am a skeptic, but I think that is a good thing other than falling for the oldest con job in the world.

Next, I stand by that Jesus, if he was in fact God, did commit suicide because he could escape his predicament with a thought. All this talk about human soldiers and policeman is a non factor because they do not possess super powers.

Everything else you wrote was drivel you read somewhere else and as poetic as it sounds, doesn't amount to a hill of beans. But I am glad you realize I don't respect the faith. But at least I'm honest about it. And I don't want lectures from anyone about being disrepectful or not knowledgeable, especially when you, a catholic, posted a thread raging about how bystanders to pedophila should be punished, but defended the current Pope and the Church's cover up of child rape as a vendetta perpetrated by the secular press.

It just goes to show, whether it's the insane stuff in your bible or the criminal activity of the pedos in your church, you are an apologist who thinks that her fancy words smiles makes her respectful. It doesn't.

1.Your first paragraph is so contrary to Christian theology that anyone familiar with Christian belief would find it totally unconvincing. Of course God could do anything and everything he wants without human involvement but that is apparently not how God has chosen to operate. Apparently God invites humans to participate in producing the world he wants to produce. The cosmic story is a work in progress and God allows us to share in that work (which, I think, is much more beautiful than God doing everything himself and not allowing us to share in that work). Regarding coveting, this is pure nonsense. There is nothing in the biblical text that suggests in any way that coveting is the appropriate term for God’s choice of Mary. God works a miracle within Mary for God’s holy purposes, not some kind of perverse desire. God also chose to enter into human experience and desired to share that experience from beginning to end (including birth, growth, and eventual death). Your suggestions that God could accomplished his goals in other ways strike me as so intellectually and spiritually “boring” that it is hard to muster up a reply. I mean really. What is more “interesting”: (a) A full-grown man is created by God out of thin air or (b) God appears in the form of a baby, sharing in all the fragility and weakness of the human form in its most vulnerable condition. Why don’t you “create” a religion that matches (a) and see how that goes. If you count how many songs and poems have been written about (b) I think you will have to agree that it is a far more fascinating, intriguing and intellectually and spiritually stimulating story.

2.Your second paragraph is a non-answer. You don’t even take the time to think about my analogy. The soldier doesn’t have superhuman power but he does have the power to escape death but doesn’t. Why does the possession of superhuman power change the analysis? Why isn’t the soldier guilty of suicide? No, when one lays down his life with others in mind, we don’t call it suicide, we call it heroic self-sacrifice. The death of Jesus does not in any way correspond to an act of suicide. In fact, if Jesus had access to superhuman power and didn’t use it because he was doing something for the good of others, that is an even greater act of courage. Further, I would argue that the power of self-giving love is far superior to the power of brute force. A child that respects his parents out of love and respect is more pleasing to a parent than a child that obeys out of sheer fear of the parent’s power or threat of force. Your conception of God is almost exclusively one of “power as force.” The Christian conception sees Christ as the revelation of God’s greatest expression of power: Love.

3.Everything I wrote yesterday was written out of my own understanding of Christian faith and not borrowed from anyone else. It doesn’t answer my arguments to call them “drivel.” I will take that as an admission that you can’t answer them. I directly responded to your argument based on quantifying the value of the death of Jesus in terms of time and you did not bother to consider that reply.

4.Concerning pedophiles, etc., I began my reply by saying such acts are deplorable. I hold they are evil, in fact. As a skeptic or atheist (not sure how you want to be identified) I am curious how you ground or justify your moral outrage. In my experience, militant atheists like to act all “moral” when they can criticize religious people but otherwise argue that all morality is just opinion and feelings. I’m curious how you justify your moral outrage. In any case, I feel as strongly as anyone about the evils of pedophilia but at the same time I don’t think we should believe something just because someone in the media makes a claim. Did you read the link I sent? Do you have factual evidence to prove the article is wrong? Why should I jump to conclude someone is guilty without a fair hearing of the evidence? Why are you so quick to judge the pope? What facts do you have that are not addressed in the article I sent? Have you carefully studied the details?

5.Your last line is nothing but an ad hominem argument. I’m not interested in “fancy” words at all. I’m just speaking up on behalf of the beautiful Christian faith that brings great joy and happiness to me and many others.

Ok, I don't have a lot of time here, but I'll just go straight to your arrogance once again inquestioning how I can justify being moraly outraged at pedophilia. Because I have decided that it's wrong based on my own intelligence, life experiences and would never want to have it done to me or my children. it's called empathy. Now, you think I can have no moral foundation because I don't believe in your line of BS, how exactly do you know pedophilia is wrong since there in no laws in the bible against it? But, I really don't expect an answer that makes sense, I guess it's because you don't understand the beauties of atheism. Dogmatic sheep like most religious people are just a more sophisitcated cave man who fears the strike of lightning as the supernatural. I wake up in the morning, I exist, I know my own heart and mind, and I do good or I do evil, all without the weak minded reliance on ancient bronze age scripture.

Do I know how the universe started? No. Do I know what happens when I die? No. But I have the courage to except that there are just things out there we haven't figured out yet, and in doing so I have freed myself from the owner/slave mentality that I owe my existance to a fairytale simply because I fear the after life. So that is my moral foundation. Empathy, treating others as I wish to be treated, not being good for some cosmic space party with my dead relatives. And please don't embarass yourself by calling me ignorant just because you read a few books and can spout of nonsense about trancedence and the origins of logic when you can't even understand the simplicity of every human having there own unique moral foundation.
  • katatak1
    Options
    “If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again.”
    ― Penn Jillette,

I'm at work and can't complete my latest response, but can I just say: I :heart: this so much.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    ― Penn Jillette,

:heart: sooo true. Why do you think the fundamentals of calculus were created in much the same manner from opposite sides of the world without prior knowledge of either scientist. Some things are fact, and we'll be discovered regardless.

And simply out of time, does anyone know the longest lasting religion?(I'm too lazy to google it) and i'm not asking for the OLDEST (because lord knows oldest doesn't = most accurate)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Hinduism.
  • katatak1
    Options
    So back to the OPs original topic of Jesus' story being pretty unoriginal. I found these two sources which I think warrant a read. Both are based on just one aspect of Jesus' tale- the miraculous birth and immaculate conception issue. This is not at all uncommon for people to claim someone who was great and wonderful to be conceived/born in such a way.

http://www.pocm.info/pagan_ideas_virgin_birth.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miraculous_births

For example, the Buddha was said to have walked right out of his mothers womb via her stomach so that he might not soil himself by passting through her birth canal. Interestingly, many Buddhists believe that Jesus was a bodhisattva- one on the path to enlightenment. They (not all) feel he will eventually be born as the next Buddha. So there's another fun tidbit.
  • katatak1
    Options
    In the interest of saving space, I won't quote the whole back and forth :)
    I know Jesus actually existed, was crucified and rose again using the standard criteria of historical investigation. If you ask how we know any event of the past really happened we would go through the normal ways that a valid memory of the past survives into the present. Very few serious historians that I know of find it credible to question the fact of Jesus and his death. Some argue that the resurrection is a “trans-historical” event since, if it happened, it could not be investigated using the normal criteria of historical research. On the other hand, I think the historical sources argue solidly for the conclusion that the “footprints” of the resurrection are deeply imprinted on history. Christianity is a historical effect of the claim of the resurrection. I recommend N. T. Wright’s book, “The Resurrection of the Son of God.” It is a very thorough discussion of the resurrection from a critical-historical perspective.
    I have no idea if Jesus existed or not, but I agree it is quite possible. You are right that most historians say he existed, but that does not make him a divine man. It's the resurrection part I have serious doubt of. And since that is the (many Christians argue) most important aspect of Christianity (Easter was always seen as more important from a religious standpoint than Christmas), I find it suspiciously dubious that this is the only claim that cannot be supported. I've read much on religion, and I honestly think it's not worth my time to immerse myself in something I will never believe. I'm just not interested enough in religion to read any more books on it, so I'll take your word that it is a fascinating and worthwhile read.
    It is largely of a different sort that the empirical/hard sciences since we are dealing with a world-view/framework choice. The better analogy for religious faith is interpersonal human experience since we are dealing with a kind of life-commitment, something science does not require of those who experiment. We may be able to draw general conclusions about the structures of human experience with respect to religious experience by cross-cultural and cross-historical analysis but we certainly can’t treat religious faith like we can the behavior of a molecule.
    And therein lies the problem. It's not properly testable by modern scientific practices.
    I do disagree with your claim that the evidence supports the conclusion there is no God.
    You're right. It's actually the lack of evidence which suggests to me that there is no god. There is really no evidence in either direction, but for something to exist, you would expect to see measurable traces. Of god, I see no such traces. All things attributed to god are easily explainable by science.
    For instance, if you will only accept a “quantitative” solution to a problem, you will obviously dismiss qualitative features of reality (as in the current mind-body debate in respect to “qualia”). If one begins to explore the question of God with an openness to a positive answer, I think there are profound reasons to believe in God.
    I'm fine with qualitative data, but you cannot draw conclusions as readily from such data as you can from quantitative data. Therefore, I prefer testable and measurable results.
    Regarding your autobiographical description of your experience, there are plenty of others who went a very different path.
    Absolutely. I, in now way, intend to suggest that my experience is universal.
    I’ve made it a habit to read after people on different sides of this question and I find it increasingly obvious that it is not the scientific “evidence” that ultimately directs a person to a conclusion on God but a more fundamental, more metaphysical (in the classical philosophical sense) set of considerations.
    Obvious? I think you are reaching here. I absolutely hate it when people assume they know my reasons for not believing in god. I hate it almost as much as TV's go-to story for why someone is an atheist. "Something bad must have happened to make them not believe." Well in my case, it was something good that happened, not something bad- I began thinking for myself.
    Concerning the “testability” of religious claims and those of science, I do think religious claims are testable.

Not going to quote your whole argument here. Here's my problem with what you wrote. True science (i.e. following the scientific method) requires removing oneself from that which is being tested. You're entire argument here is philosophical. I have no patience for philosophy. It suffers the same fatal error of religion- it is a thought experiment, that is all. You go around using the word prove. That irks me more than you can know. To try to prove anything shows a fundamental misunderstanding of science and logic. Science does not ignore those issues of what is real and what is not. Quantum physics, for example, focuses on that issue a great deal. You are right, though, that in the end we must make an existential choice. You can have your Kierkegaard, and I'll take my Nietzsche. I'll choose what can be tested, what can be understood.

Ultimately, I like to believe that if there is a god, he's not so vain as to care whether or not I believe; that how I act and treat other people matters more. If there is a god, I hope we all have him wrong. Because if we don't, he sure sounds like a jerk that I'd really rather not spend all of eternity with.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not in the Tanach, but the book of Isaiah is full of prophesies and Isaiah is found in the dead sea scrolls which dates back a couple hundred years bc
    So what is the prophecy from Isiah that states that jesus would be the messiah?

IDEA Fitness member