Am I the only guy in this group?

Options
Hello everyone. I got my surgery on November 4th and have not regretted it at all. I have been losing weight a little slower then I expected, but it's still coming off. I joined this group to see what others are experiencing and to see if I could help anyone else along the way.

I look forward to talking with you.

--- Bob ---

Replies

• skatermom503
    Options
    Hi Bob
    Congratulations on your surgery. Did you have the lap band or the RNY? I had the RNY on in October so I am fairly new too. I have had some problems adapting to it and finding things that I can eat but overall I can say it was the right decision. I am glad you are doing well and you will find this site a great support for you. Be sure to log in your calories and exercise every day. It really helps. Good luck and you're not the only guy out there but you are outnumbered by women but that's not such a bad thing. Friend me if you'd like. I say what I think so beware.
    Welcome!
    Bonnie
  • bobbunn
    Options
    I had the RNY. When I started the process I was looking at getting the lap band but my surgeon suggested RNY because of my diabetes and high blood pressure. Before surgery I was on the maximim dosage of Metformin for blood sugar and 80 units a day of long lasting insulin. Post-op I haven't taken a single Metformin and I am down to 5 units of insulin per day and may be able to get off of it completely in the near future.

I have been using this site to track my food and exercise. I have the phone app that lets me make updates while I'm away from the computer, so that is really helpful. I'll be stepping up my exercise routine any day now since there is new gym opening in the neighborhood. Maybe the weight will come off faster then.

Thanks for your support.

--- Bob ---
  • skatermom503
    Options
    25# down is nothing to sneeze at especially with the improvement in your diabetes. Chances are that will go away completely further down the road. I was leaning toward the band too just because it was a "smaller" surgery but I weighed 395 and the doctor thought the RNY would be a better choice. Going to the gym will help. My daughter makes me go at least 5x a week and I never exercised before. I only do 30 to 60 min (1x !!!) and only light cardio mostly but it gets me moving and knocked me off a plateau I was struggling with. Glad you're logging in. Helps so much.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Welcome Bob, It's hard to tell if there are any other men in the group, maybe some that just want to watch/read and that's ok. That's what this little group is for... sharing support, motivation, answers, experiences and more.
    I'm due for the bypass on 1/16. I've had so many questions and just about all have been answered either by this group or the surgical team. I am lucky NOT to have any prior medical issues (no diabetes,high blood pressure, high chol), but I do have sleep apnea. That is a real drag and looking fwd to leaving that far behind.
    Good luck on your journey, and share anything you feel would be helpful.
    Christine:smile:
  • mSquared77
    mSquared77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just joined the group, and to answer your question, I am a Man!!! =)

I have RNY 6.5 years ago and it was one of the best decisions that I've ever made, in my life. I lost nearly 160 pounds, but gained about 30 pounds over the last 2 years. I feel like I'm finally in control and turning the ship around before it's too far off course. It's certainly true that the surgery will help with 60% and the rest is up to you. I will NOT be one of the folks that gains "all their weight back" and be part of giving this surgery a bad name. Hope we can further connect....would love to be a resource for any newbies....seems like there are quite a few in this forum.

MM
  • tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    nope im a guy lol
  • christophertoddchandler
    Options
    I am a guy, and had the sleeve. I am basically in maintenance.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Wowza, this is an ancient thread! Welcome to the group, fellas. I was RNY on 7/8/15, and also a male. I know there are a few others here.
    Anyone have any issues past op that are male specific?

I ended up with epididymitis directly after surgery, thanks to the catheter. That was not a fun time.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    nope, you're not the only guy in the group, had VSG on 04/01/15
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    Wowza, this is an ancient thread! Welcome to the group, fellas. I was RNY on 7/8/15, and also a male. I know there are a few others here.

After I lost a bunch of weight, I had to be cautious sitting down on the john. My *kitten* was a lot skinnier, and closer to the size of the seat opening. I always had to be careful, or things would hang down into the water.

Try going to the bathroom at 3:00 am, and having your hanging parts dipped in cold water. Wakes you right up.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    LOL! I'm glad I had just swallowed my tea before reading this!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I always had to be careful, or things would hang down into the water.

Try going to the bathroom at 3:00 am, and having your hanging parts dipped in cold water. Wakes you right up.

Hahaha, Poseidon's Kiss!

I know that shudderingly cold feeling. Ended up lowering the water level in the bowl at home and work, lol.

• Warhawk79
    Warhawk79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not the only guy. Rny feb of 2014 here. Add me if you like.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »

After I lost a bunch of weight, I had to be cautious sitting down on the john. My *kitten* was a lot skinnier, and closer to the size of the seat opening. I always had to be careful, or things would hang down into the water.

Too funny... It's good to be a girl today after reading that comment Grim_traveler

• DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Another guy here - just hit my 2 year mark. Don't post as much as I used to here, more active in another group.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Another guy here but pre-op & aiming for surgery next summer.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy. Keep in mind women are a much greater percentage of WLS patients to begin with...so it's not surprising.