Does it matter? Race?

Options

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Ok so I was just in another thread "Your so pretty for a fat girl" in the Chit Chat forum and so I replied and I shared something that I get comments like, "Your so pretty for a black girl" or "Your complexion is pretty for a dark skinned girl" or something along those lines all the time... So it made me think... Does race or certain things matter when dating? Do you take it into consideration? Is race an issue? Etc... I would like some opinions/experiences/thoughts etc...

Ugh I hate that kind of thing...I don't know which is worse, racism or rudeness!!!!

I was just dating a black guy...I have a date tonight with a guy I thought was black but now I think he's Hispanic based on his last name...maybe both?

I live in Southern California & based on what I see around me, in a couple more generations everyone will be a nice medium brown shade.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Dupe!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Inasmuch as race can sometimes dictate social and cultural expectations, to me it does matter a bit. For example, I wouldn't feel comfortable dating a man whose cultural expectations of women differed markedly from the western norm of liberated, independent women, of equal intrinsic value to a man. It's more about background, family expectations and where you grew up than race, really, but that can factor into it.

Oh that would never be an issue with me. A guy who doesn't like feminist women wouldn't last one date in my company. He'd probably run screaming!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the game so pardon me for bringing old threads back to life. :flowerforyou:

I don't care about race at all... but I do have my preference. I'm a latina girl and I love me some white men!!!! I don't know why but I do... :blushing:
    I have dated different races though.. but the white guys just make me go ga-ga. :love:
  • nicolebunny55
    Options
    I dont think race should matter at all. Its all about who you click with after all is said. Some people I think are stuck in that old mind set. Me personally I dont care about race its not a big deal to me as long as you click with a person nothing else should really matter.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    I'm late to the game so pardon me for bringing old threads back to life. :flowerforyou:

I don't care about race at all... but I do have my preference. I'm a latina girl and I love me some white men!!!! I don't know why but I do... :blushing:
    I have dated different races though.. but the white guys just make me go ga-ga. :love:

Oooh, I'll swap you one white man for one latino, even trade! :laugh: Actually, I don't have any extra white men on hand at the moment, but I like latino guys, my last boyfriend was. Too bad his dumb self was still married and didn't feel like mentioning it. :grumble:

On the plus side, I did get a few years of free spanish lessons. My accent still sucks, though.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Oooh, I'll swap you one white man for one latino, even trade! :laugh: Actually, I don't have any extra white men on hand at the moment, but I like latino guys, my last boyfriend was. Too bad his dumb self was still married and didn't feel like mentioning it. :grumble:

On the plus side, I did get a few years of free spanish lessons. My accent still sucks, though.

Too funny... I know alot of latino guys love them some white women.
    My ex (white) loves hispanic women, he says we're crazy, but he loves them! haha
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

Too funny... I know alot of latino guys love them some white women.
    My ex (white) loves hispanic women, he says we're crazy, but he loves them! haha

We (mostly) Irish women are crazy, too. Shhh, don't tell anyone!
  • zoe4friends
    zoe4friends Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter to me at all. But I know that my mom will disapprove anyone outside of my nationality. And I can understand her, being from a not very diverse country she is not used to and not exposed to different nationalities and races. But I think since I've been living in the States for a while now, she understand that the chances of me dating someone the same nationality as me are very very low and she is trying to accept that fact :-)
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My mom's grandma was Irish, my kids are mixed. I grew up in a small town up north in Michigan. I was usually the only person of color from Kindergarten - 12th grade. No one would date me at all. Now, I live in Pacific NW. There's a lot of racism and prejudice here. I also attend med school. People make a lot of rude comments to me, even strangers in stores make comments about me and my kids. It sucks! Even outside of my kids school where I park when I drop them off I've seen the police come up behind me multiple times and wonder if someone called because they were scared. I've even had a lady come out of her house down the driveway and down the street, knock on the car window and ask what I'm doing here? People can be so weird.

Other people I've know for years will come up to me and start talking ghetto to me and I look at them like, "What did you say to me?" One friend was using all this slang on my facebook page and when I saw her later she said I'm cool, I had a boyfriend that was black 20 years ago... I'm thinking why in the world is she saying this to me?

I have not dated much at all my whole life, but it is usually someone outside my race, because of the environment I'm in. I wish people could just look at everyone as an individual not just the color of our skin :(
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My mom's grandma was Irish, my kids are mixed. I grew up in a small town up north in Michigan. I was usually the only person of color from Kindergarten - 12th grade. No one would date me at all. Now, I live in Pacific NW. There's a lot of racism and prejudice here. I also attend med school. People make a lot of rude comments to me, even strangers in stores make comments about me and my kids. It sucks! Even outside of my kids school where I park when I drop them off I've seen the police come up behind me multiple times and wonder if someone called because they were scared. I've even had a lady come out of her house down the driveway and down the street, knock on the car window and ask what I'm doing here? People can be so weird.

Other people I've know for years will come up to me and start talking ghetto to me and I look at them like, "What did you say to me?" One friend was using all this slang on my facebook page and when I saw her later she said I'm cool, I had a boyfriend that was black 20 years ago... I'm thinking why in the world is she saying this to me?

I have not dated much at all my whole life, but it is usually someone outside my race, because of the environment I'm in. I wish people could just look at everyone as an individual not just the color of our skin :(

Actually, I was also in a black neighborhood and a lady did the same thing, knocked on my window told me to move my car away from her house...
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    "Your so pretty for a black girl" or "Your complexion is pretty for a dark skinned girl"

People said that on MFP? But that's just so blatantly racist, why weren't they reported?
  • freezee2010
    freezee2010 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Whoa!!! Pretty for a black girl? Seriously? I've heard of that being said before but nobody has ever said that to me. That's CRAZY!!!
  • freezee2010
    freezee2010 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh btw I was in an interracial marriage for over 10 years. Seriously doubt that I'll ever do that again.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    This thread gets sadder and sadder. People should just be able to like who they like and not have to worry about race but I guess it still matters too much in our society to make that possible. Adding this to my checklist for why I plan to move to another country someday. Maybe there's one out there somewhere where everybody can just get along.
  • mona24523
    mona24523 Posts: 100
    Options
    I was raised to beleive you shouldn't date outside of your race. It has taken me along time but I do not beleive this. People should date whoever makes them happy. Aslong as it is a heathy relationship it shouldn't matter about race. I have not dated outside of my race (actually haven't dated anyone for a couple of years), but I wouldn't hesitate to date outside of my race if I found someone I clicked with.
    I have two teenagers who I have always told it didn't matter what race someone was as long as they treated them with respect and made them happy. My son actually likes hispanic girls, which is fine with me as long as he is happy.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    "Your so pretty for a black girl" or "Your complexion is pretty for a dark skinned girl"

People said that on MFP? But that's just so blatantly racist, why weren't they reported?

No one has never said that on MFP to me. I was saying that people has said that to me. If anything people on MFP has been real kind to me and say nice things to me.
  • Nightenbelle
    Options
    Race does matter.

However, let me qualify that. I live in Northern Arkansas. The town I live in is 98% white. I was raised in southern California- in a very racially mixed area. I didn't even notice color until moving here. I don't notice color when I fall in love or am attracted to someone. However- I see how my racially mixed students are treated, and my heart breaks for them. I don't want my child to have to go through that. Therefore- IF I was to marry someone of another race- I would insist that we move to a less racist area first. And I am extreamly close to my family and really do love the area I'm in (with that one glaring exception of course)- so I'd have to be 100% sure this guy was the one and only guy I could never live with out.
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    Personally I don't think race matters. I have dated latinos, caucasian, African American, Asian... a mix!!! haha

I'm equal opportunity... but I tend to be more attracted to men who are lighten than me. :wink:
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Race is not an issue to me, as long as you are attracted to each other.