Welcome! Check in here.

Options
skylark94
skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
Wow! Less than a day into the group and we have 37 members so far! Welcome, everyone!!

This thread will be a central place for everyone to check in with their CoTH username and a little bit about themselves. For those not familiar with MFP, it has many wonderful tools for tracking your plans. I use the iPhone app to track my daily food an exercise. My online diary is open to anyone. It can be viewed my clicking on my username. For more interaction, you can, "friend" other users as well.

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'll start!

I'm known on CoTH as Curb Appeal.

I started out on Labor Day at 169.2 pounds. My goal has always been to get my "barn body" back. I'm using cardio and strength training to try to get back to the way I looked back when I was a groom. I don't toss hay bales, or hand walk squirrely horses for hours a day anymore, but I try to keep myself just as active now that I am a stay at home mom.

SW 169.2
    CW 145.2
    GW 140.0
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP last February, I had broken several places in my lower leg/ankle, torn all my soft tissue, and dislocated my ankle as well. The way the doctor pinned my leg back together forced me to be bed ridden for nearly 6 months. I went from being very active, I groomed for a private barn that had 7 horses, including all daily care, stalls, blah blah blah. I was a Zumba instructor, full time student, and gym rat.
    Being drugged up for the pain, being forced to be on my back and unable to move my right leg, did in my desire to be fit, I was so down trodden.

I had joined last year to watch my calorie intake since I could not move. I was on a strict 1300 calorie diet while I was recovering. Once June came I hit the ground running. I flew to France once I got the ok to walk/hobble and spent 30 doing a study abroad, followed by nearly 4 weeks of country hopping on my own. I kept eating the way I had eaten while in recovery, and now I was very active. I maintained the weight.

Once school started back up and realizing that I was in a toxic relationship I became stressed and we all know what stress does to the body.....not good things.

I started going back to the gym about 3 weeks ago,Zumba still hurts my ankle, so my Zumba shoes are still hanging up.

I walk my dog about an hour a day, eat clean foods, I started taking my vits and mins again. My down fall is sweets and I am curbing that.

My goals are to drop about 30 lbs, would love 50. My diary is open for all to see

Thanks for reading this small novel lol
  • MexisMom
    MexisMom Posts: 249
    Options
    I'm "over the moon" on COTH, a lurker more than a poster.

I'm 23, 5'5'', and somehow barely teetering below 200lbs. The majority of my weight gain (~50lbs) has been over the last year; I've been struggling with issues with my thyroid, and I have not yet "found" the right dosage. I'm kind of giving up on my GP (sorry), and waiting on a referral to an endocrinologist to hopefully get this under control. In the mean time, I'm determined to work as hard as possible to lose the weight. I know it's going to be difficult-to-impossible to do it without my TSH levels balanced, but I am ready to work damn hard and figure I might as well start now so that it's smooth sailing when I get my meds figured out.

I have a lovely 3yo warmblood mare, and she is one of my main motivators - I want to be able to get on her more often and to give her the best ride possible. I don't want her to have to worry about the goon on her back who sometimes wobbles through those babyish motorcycle turns.

Second motivator is definitely feeling comfortable - sexy, even! - in my own skin. Add insult to injury, my SO's ex-girlfriend (skinny ex-girlfriend) lives in our building - we were here first. I don't want to feel like I need to duck and hide when I pass her in the hallway.

I look forward to embarking on this journey with all of you :)
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    I'm Wayside on CotH.

Although I previously didn't have much trouble with my weight, the last couple of years it just seems to be creeping up and up despite my best efforts. I'm not at 213lbs, despite working with a dietician and a personal trainer. So far I've decreased my calories to 1350 a day, and I'm doing 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week, and strength training with my personal trainer for 30 minutes 3 times a week.

Incredibly frustrating, but I'm not giving up!
  • ridewithless
    ridewithless Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lost about 20lbs about 10 years ago on Weight Watchers and it has slowly returned...older, post menopausal,post hyserectomy, working 2 jobs...but I am going to start chipping away at it. Going to Body Pump class and then out to the barn to do some chores. Hunted for more than 2 hours yesterday so I am giving Duffy the day off. I'll post my stats when I get back tonight. I'm not sure how to add friends and all the fancy stuff, but I'll work on it. This is a good thing. Coth name-Beau's Mom. Real name-Irene.
  • shadytrake
    shadytrake Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm known as Shadytrake on CoTH. I haven't posted much over the last several years because my company blocked the website and I don't get on the computer much in private life since I LIVE on it for work.

My name is Melissa. Up until last spring I was actively working out in the Adventure Boot Camp for Women but it just got too expensive. Since turning 40 in 2010, my metabolism has basically died and I am having so much trouble keeping the weight off. I cannot afford to have a personal trainer and I really need a motivator in order to continue long-term. I'm one of those people who start big projects, but unless there is a huge motivator...I lose motivation after awhile.

I'm 5'2" and weighed in yesterday at 155lbs. Yay I lost 2 lbs since last month!
    I need to be at 135lbs in order to look slim in my show clothes.
    I think I can manage to hold 140lbs though it was difficult in my 30's.

Another problem I am having since turning 40 is that my flexibility is going away. Maybe we can talk stretching, yoga, and pilates?
    I hate that I am having trouble flexing around even to wash my back. My horse dumped me in the warmup at a show and like a dummy, I held onto the reins. He dragged me a bit and I slightly separated my shoulder. It's been almost 2 months and that shoulder is still painful.

Thanks to everyone in advance. I want to get back into shape! I'm not as much worried about the exact lbs as I am about the flexibility, muscle, and toning.
  • fog472
    fog472 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I am Sport on COTH.

I am at my heaviest at 400lbs.
    My mother owns a boarding facility. I am obese, but I am still active,
    I do chores, including feeding and turnout 3 days a week and muck stalls once a week.

I am still riding some, but I have been overweight all my life (not this heavy) and have always ridden. Due to my current weight what I do is severly limited to mostly walk, trot and some short canter work.

I own 2 horses, both in my picture. Fog is retired and Sport is 17 this year and still in full work. I have a trainer work him twice a week and was lucky to find an amateur rider this fall looking for something to ride.

I want to get back to riding and showing, but that requires a significant weight loss. I want to enjoy this major part of my life.

When I am not at the barn I am an accountant, so I spend my work day sitting.

I belong to a wonderful gym and am part of a group of 4 that work with a personal trainer. We had sessions twice a week, but our trainer moved, so we are working at getting set up with a new trainer in the new year.

My struggle is largely due to eating and less to do with the lack of physical activity in my life.
    I have always struggled with food.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and share our love of horses and our desire to be more healthy.
  • ohrebecca
    ohrebecca Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Rebecca. ohrebecca on COTH.

I have battled with my weight as far back as fourth grade. I was a skinny minnie up till then, and then puberty started setting in and I ballooned.

At my thinnest adult weight/shape, I was about 140 lbs. I was working at a sporthorse breeding farm, doing chores (feeding, mucking, turnout, baby breaking, riding, etc.) and supplementing my non-existant income there as a dog-walker for a friend. I ate almost nothing, because I was a) broke and b) too busy to eat. An average day would have me eating a bag of popcorn, an apple, and maybe some french fries or a hot dog for dinner. I wasn't healthy.

Since then, I've yo-yo'd up and down from my "baseline" of about 160 to where I am right now, 195ish (okay, 196). I lost about fifteen pounds two years ago, got to 170, and then gained it back. Same thing last year. This year, I want to lose SIXTY pounds (if not more) and keep it off.

I am an emotional eater, and an "anything eater." I eat because I'm sad, happy, feeling fat (counterproductive, I know), bored. I'm lazy. I hate my job and when I come home from work all I want to do is sit on the couch with Style network on and a bag of chips and a pop. I work random shifts with no weekly rhyme or reason (for example: this week: close, close, open, off, open, open. Plus our store has different hours for the weekend than for the weekdays, so even the Wednesday open differs from the Saturday open) so it's difficult for me to find a workout schedule I can stick to.

I HAVE been good at working out. Two years ago I was running 6 miles. Now I can run one mile - maybe. I do find that when I get back into working out, I'm pleasantly surprised at how much fitter/stronger I feel than what I feel I should be. If that makes sense.

I joined a gym around Thanksgiving and have been there less than 10 times. I just got home from there, though.

My mare is little (15.1) and I don't want to do any damage to her physically or emotionally, so right now my first priority is her well-being/health. My well-being/health is a close second. Luckily, my boyfriend's opinion of my weight has no bearing on this endeavor, as he literally loves me at whatever size I am. (I have gained at least 15 lbs in the 11 months we've been dating)

Thanks for having me, and I look forward to getting to know all of you, and encouraging all of you :-)
  • wehrlegirl
    Options
    Hi Im Hilary, Wehrlegirl on Coth. For most of my life Ive been fit and active in a variety of sports including riding since childhood and martial arts starting in college. Over the past couple years I gained a lot of weight due to work and a difficult end to a marriage. Ive been working on getting back into shape for the past year and its paid off since Im now engaged to a great guy.. who happens to be super fit. Ive put a lot of pressure on myself not only because I want to be smokin hot for him, and feel great about myself, but he is from Brazil and has had some knockout ex-girlfriends. We are headed there in July after our April wedding so Im not only a nervous wreck about that.. but I just dont want to fall into bad habits again. I love to try new things.. Ive always wanted to learn to surf, latin dance and ski. 2012 is going to be amazing!!
  • HopeandJoy
    Options
    My name is Maya, I am HopeandJoy on CoTH (my horses names).

I am 32 years old, 5'10" tall and currently weigh 180. My goal is more in the 160 to 150 range. I was always super skinny (125 lbs) when I worked full time at a barn, in fact I would lose weight every summer even eating a pint of ice cream for lunch each day. Now that I am cleaning houses part-time for a living and running Hope's Legacy Equine Rescue the rest of the time (this part requires a lot of time sitting in front of the computer) I find that I am packing on the pounds. My biggest problems are that I really like food and I hate to exercise.
  • cagey22
    cagey22 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Kate and am cagey22 on COTH.

I am somewhere around 175lbs right now - will weigh in officially tomorrow, I promise!

I have always thought I was heavy, even though I now wish I enjoyed the times when I was lighter.... I have gotten down to 155 lbs twice as an adult, but I get lazy about watching what I eat and I love food!! Portion control is probably my biggest battle, along with drinking alcohol (but I love it soo!). I am a pretty solid type and am 5'6", so my current goal is 155lbs. However, It's just never crossed my mind that I could be lighter than that, so I will definitely re-evaluate and perhaps alter my goal when I reach this initial goal weight.

I work from home 9 months of the year and then move away for 3 months, where my life becomes more active on a daily basis ( I run a summer camp). Anyhow, I spend a lot of time sitting at the computer, but having my horses at home means I at least get outside and move about a bit throughout the day.

I've been at this current attempt at weight loss, since the 20th of November and it was going pretty well until Christmas (yup, gained a few back and acquired a scale that was perhaps more accurate than the old one).

I ride a few times a week, but really it can be anywhere from 2-5 times a week. I have 2 TB mares and an 8 month TB/Morgan colt, out of one of the mares. I used to be very involved in PC as a teenager in the UK. Now I live in the states. I have ridden in many, many disciplines, but particularly love jumping, X Country, Hunting, etc.

I want to be a better rider and be able to ride with more precision - I am your typical green horse rider, ie can stay on pretty much anything, can get it to go, but it doesn't always look pretty.

Plus, I want my jeans to be smaller and looser. I just want to be thin and not have to accept that I'm the bigger girl. I also don't want to lose an ounce of strength.

I am so excited to be joining you all in this venture and wish you all the best of luck and support!
  • dbooneRN
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Redhorse98 on COTH, but don't post too often there, mainly lurk. NEED motivation to get this weight off! I am at my heaviest at 210lbs. Most of the weight came on during nursing school and then full time as RN, rotating days/nights. I have had trouble sleeping during the day, so my energy level is nil. I also work at the farm on weekends and try to ride my horse 3-4 times a week.

I also just bought a house and have vowed to cook more at home and eat better.
  • Polydor
    Polydor Posts: 43
    Options
    G'day everyone!

Laurel aka Polydor (P) here. I am 25 years young Canadian living in S. Australia for the past 4 years working on a TB racehorse stud farm. We concentrate more on the mares/foals and yearlings (for sales) and then the rest are young horses growing out here with the random racehorse on holiday. So I get a fair bit of physical training at work. Though I am missing out on a huge chunk of walking this season. All of our sale yearlings get walked roughly 1km to 2.5km a day. Oh well having fun playing with my mares and foals instead! lol

I had a run in with a pair of hind hooves to my chest last feb. One of the sale yearling fillies didn't want her tail touched. 5 days in hospital, 2 months off work for a lacerated liver. Not a fun time at all! Fitness routine went out the window since I wasn't allowed to do anything. Doc didn't even want me to go for a stroll on a side walk *rollseyes* so i sat on COTH and in front of tv. Before all that, i was running 5 days a week and doing 6-7km in 45 mins or so. Have barely done 3km since then. :(

Fitness wise i want to increase my cardio by a lot. Would eventually like to get back into doing 5 and 10km runs and hopefully a triathalon (way in the future!).

Really need the motivation to get my butt off the couch after work and go for a run/workout! You gals have permission to yell at me! :D

Starting weight: 161 pounds or 73.4kg
    Goal : 150 pounds

P.
  • SophinMaine
    SophinMaine Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Sophie on CoTH and I need motivation to lose a few pounds but especially not gain any! Both my mom and my sister are overweight and I would like to avoid following that trend, especially now that I'm (gasp) middle age.

I find trying to lose weight is MUCH easier in the summer! But I just started going to the gym again. I only go to group classes otherwise I can't get motivated. I like Pilates and Zumba. I tried something called "body combat" but that was just too much for me and my physical shortcomings (bad knee, bad back, plantar fasciitis).

I may not post a lot on here but it's nice to know there is a place to go for motivation and support! I love the calorie tracker too.

Good luck to everyone!
  • Jetscuh
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm ThoroughbredFancy on CoTH. I don't post or browse CoTH as much as I used to, but I'm still around.

I used to feel miserable at my former heaviest weight of 150lbs. Well, now I'm up to 173lbs and hating every moment of it. I'm looking forward to not carrying all of this weight around. I was 130lbs for awhile when I was in my late teens. I'm confident I can make it to 140lbs and maintain that.

I used to be more active when I had my young TB and we were actively training and eventing. Since I sold him 2 years ago and stopped riding I've noticed that the weight piled on. That combined with moving out of state, making life changes, getting a desk job and other junk, I've ended up here. I do work out at least 4 days a week. That consists of a minimum of 40 minutes cardio and 20 minutes strength/muscle endurance training. I love my gym and in the warmer seasons I love a good hike or bike ride.

I am fairly active now and have started riding once a week at a local barn where I take saddle seat lessons. Not sure how I went from eventing to saddle seat but I love it.

It's not the activity that's hard for me, it's the eating. I can binge eat with the best of 'em if I get hungry enough I swear! I think about food too much and eat too much of it. I need to change my mental outlook on what I put into my body and how much of it. The food tracker is helping me do that. I'm currently going through sweets and wheat withdrawals I swear ;) I'm confident that if I can make it over the hump without caving, I'll be just fine and that will help the pounds come off.

Best of luck to everyone!
  • allikat819
    allikat819 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi, Everyone! I'm mostly a lurker on COTH, but I was excited to see this group pop up. I need some motivation! I've gained a lot of weight in the last three years since a move to Lincoln, NE. A lack of social life, being far from my family, and so much less to DO outdoors has really caused me to pack on the pounds. I'm currently 5'4'' weighing in at 190 (or at least I was at my last doctor's visit just a few weeks ago, who knows what that number might be after the holidays!!). I'm mostly glad to have a support group, where we can all commiserate and cheer each other on :)
  • Rttigrl
    Options
    Hi, all--
    I mostly lurk on CoTH as well. Huge thanks for pointing out this group on OT day--I love this tool! The calorie tracking is awesome. I'll spare everyone the entire story of why I'm here--suffice it to say that I lost 60 + pounds 7 years ago--one husband, three jobs, one child, and 2 cross-country moves later I've gained 70 of it back. (sigh)

My husband has challenged (taunted) me to get back into competing this summer, so the weight need to come OFF and the fitness needs to go UP.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys, and my husband and horse thank you in advance for your support. :)
  • Blugal1
    Blugal1 Posts: 92
    Options
    Great idea and hopefully, we can keep this group (and ourselves) active!

I'm Blugal on COTH and post probably too frequently! I've had a hard time owning up to my issues. I'm 5'3 and currently 162 lbs. I was up to 182 lbs last year and just hated everything. I had been away from serious competition since 2006, although I was a working student in 2007 and was down to 135 lbs, but returning to school in the fall I packed it all back on by eating too much and not exercising. Lots of stress eating.

My coach was actually a big motivator - she let me ride her schoolmaster horse, and pushed me to compete in 2011. I started going to the gym in the mornings before work, and riding 1-2 horses a day after work. My big goal for the year was a competition in July - I was down to 158 lbs, still not ideal, and when we got home, I was exhausted from the previous 6 months and needed a break! Unfortunately, I have been yo-yo-ing about 5 pounds since then. It was disappointing going for lessons in the fall and being out of breath!

So I need help staying on track - my goal is to get to my ideal weight (135 lbs) by the beginning of May for show season. I know it's possible - I just have to believe I can do it, and stick to it.
  • MK1Smith
    Options
    I'm M.K.Smith on COTH. I would love to lose about 80 lbs, but would actually be thrilled with any weight loss. Years of eating terribly, getting out of the habit of exercising, rarely getting to ride, having a toddler, lack of organization which results in me eating out WAY too much, and losing my husband have all played factors in my weight issues. I'm hoping this will be the year that I'll bring my head above water ;-)

I have eight great horses (well... more like 6 supposed to be horses (two pony sized QHs and two ponies) and several of them would love to be ridden and quite a few need broke. My son has a wonderful Welsh filly that I'd love to get started so we can ride together when he's a little older. In addition to the horses, we have two cats and well... I guess two dogs... long story short... one of my horses found a Beagle dog on 12-22... he's old and it doesn't seem like anybody is looking for him... so I guess he's ours. I work full time at a desk job.
  • KCoyoteco
    Options
    I'm Coyoteco on COTH. I was always thin. Each time I had a kid, I'd gain a lot and lose it. Then one day I started gaining unexplicably. I went to the doctor and explained my symptoms, unexplained weight gain, loss of muscle tone, loss of flexibility, fatigue. She refused to believe me. She had never been competent. (Yeah, I'm still really ticked about that.) Anyway, I tried a lot of ways to lose and finally found one. Probably my underlying problem was insulen resistance. My goal is back to my previous normal weight of 125 which is the bottom weight for my height of 5'7". I'm doing medifast with a slight modification of fewer calories. I'll ride two of my horses, a tb and a perch/tb x during the period with an emphasis on getting both of them and me much more fit - lots of two-point and posting. I will be more active, and hopefully resume p90x. If not p90x, I'll do the NYC Ballet workout first and then move to p90x - both series are very good. I bought a swim suit recently and some bicycling shirts and jackets (visibility) so will do some of both. I'm hoping to reach my goal in 10 weeks, but I know that I could stop losing at any time regardless of food and exercise.