Real Books VS E-Readers

Options

Replies

• PinUpGirlAtHeart
    PinUpGirlAtHeart Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Granted that I kind of want something like a nook, what I really prefer is a book. There's just nothing like physically turning the pages and feeling the pages and heft of the book. I especially adore hardbacks, but paperbacks are sufficient enough to feed my need to read. I've always dreamed of having a library filled with books even if it had to be a room that was turned into a makeshift library. I just have always wanted tons of bookshelves filled to the brim with books and you can't that with an e-reader.
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle but there is nothing that will stop me from buying physical books too. If a book holds a special place for me, I will definitely buy a special copy, but usually read from my Kindle.

See what they need is a scratch and sniff Kindle, so it can still smell like a book too :happy:
  • Leanna109
    Leanna109 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love my NOOK COLOR! It is amazing! I agree with you about being able to hold the book, smell it, the feel of it, but the NOOK COLOR and other e-readers have so many other farures that its well worth it.

I am looking for more friends on my nook that we can share books and stuff with. If you are interested let me know. I love to see what other people are reading and their thoughts.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I love my NOOK COLOR! It is amazing! I agree with you about being able to hold the book, smell it, the feel of it, but the NOOK COLOR and other e-readers have so many other farures that its well worth it.

I am looking for more friends on my nook that we can share books and stuff with. If you are interested let me know. I love to see what other people are reading and their thoughts.

Yay for Nook Color!!!! I love mine too!!! WE can definitely be friends on there *tho I honesly have yet to figure out how to do that and I've had it for amost a year :blushing: *
  • Leanna109
    Leanna109 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Yay for Nook Color!!!! I love mine too!!! WE can definitely be friends on there *tho I honesly have yet to figure out how to do that and I've had it for amost a year :blushing: *

Whats your screen name on your nook? I will try and add you! :wink:
  • navynurse1611
    navynurse1611 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been a diehard reader for years!! I swore I would never give up my books for the smell and feel and other things listed here. However, I have been a nook Convertee ever since Jan of this year. I have not held a book since then and don't miss it. I love love love my nook.

Try it you might just like it.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have the kindle app on my phone. I check out books from the library all the time. the selections isn't always the greatest. But my librarian says they are getting more. The biggest problem is there is a waiting list for most books, which i guess means lots of people in the area are using their e readers

Love always having my book with me, so if I'm stuck waiting for someone, I can just pull out my phone and read.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    When me husband offered to purchase me a kindle for my birthday a while back I honestly wasn't interested. I was a die hard book reader. Love the feel. Love the smell. Love everything about books. But he thought it would be a great idea for me and instead of dismissing it out of hand, I did some research, and ended up taking a chance.

I'm incredibly glad that I did. I am now a devoted Kindle user and read far more now than I ever did before. It's broadened my reading horizons by both accessibility and availability and cost. And as a person who tends to read more than one book at a time, I can have all my books with me at once no matter where I am. Plus, there is the added benefit of the digital publishers so that I am able to read books that I would never even know of without my Kindle.

I will say that I did not like the tablet format of the Kindle, but the purchase of a book-like cover solved that problem so that in my hand if feels like a book.

Do I still love real books. Heck, yes, and I do still purchase them, though these days it is only hardbacks of books I want to keep permanently.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    The kindle lighted cover is pretty awesome. The kindle feels a lot better in my hands with it, and I can read at night without lighting up the whole room while my pups slumber away.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for my husband because he bought a Nook Simple Touch for himself on Black Friday (he had gift certificates so it ended up costing like 10 bucks) and he ordered a cover and a light for it, and all the accessories came in the mail but the actual Nook hasn't arrived yet.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I finally got a chance to go to Barnes & Noble and play around on the Nook Color Tablet. I love it!! I'm pretty sure I may be getting one for Christmas, so I'm super excited. :happy:
  • woou
    Options
    I finally got a chance to go to Barnes & Noble and play around on the Nook Color Tablet. I love it!! I'm pretty sure I may be getting one for Christmas, so I'm super excited. :happy:

If you don't mind refurbished (they're practically new with the same full year warranty), B&N is selling it for $150, I think, on Ebay and some other online retailers are selling it for less than the brand new one as well.
  • woou
    Options
    I get so much crap from my friends for having a Kindle..but I don't care..I love it!

:laugh: I'm all for Kindle, too. Love it. I also have a tablet but probably am going to sell it off, since I use it less than my Kindle.
  • KimmyEB
    Options

If you don't mind refurbished (they're practically new with the same full year warranty), B&N is selling it for $150, I think, on Ebay and some other online retailers are selling it for less than the brand new one as well.

I personally would not mind used/refurbished, since a majority of my DVD's and video games are, and I <3 thrift stores, but my mom is anti-used stuff, so I know she would never buy a used/refurbished item.:ohwell:
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas, and I am absolutely in love with it. :happy:
  • mmambs
    mmambs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When e-readers first came out I was adamant that I would never have one, want one, read a book on one. I'm a librarian and it felt like I was betraying my profession. T

hen I got an Ipad and could download the kindle and nook apps. And I did. And I tried them out. And I loved them.

BUT really only when I'm traveling (which can be a lot) I still check out regular books from the library and read them and have them laying about my house, but for travel the e-readers can't be beat. The toughest choice I have to make when I go on a trip is which book(s) to bring. Having them electronically erases that question, I can bring them all!

Someone asked a question about checking out ebooks from the library - here in PA it is pretty simple and I've done it a number of times. I just wish the lending period was a little longer (currently 14 days) I'm spoiled as an academic librarian where I can check out books for a semester at a time.
  • DayumStraightIAmEllie
    Options
    I love the feeling of a book in my hand. The fresh smell(weird to some i know). The feeling of the pages. I just like the real thing. Just something about sitting down curled up with a book. I want to escape the world sometimes, not stare at a computer screen.

Also, as a writer myself, the thought of someone buying my book that i worked hard to write, would just simply kill me.
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why some people feel it's one against the other.

I love books - for all the reasons everyone has already said - plus they look fabulous with my bookcases

I love my Kindle - for all the reasons everyone has already said - plus I got a cute little Mickey & Minnie Mouse cover for it.

Because of the Kindle, I have opened my reading horizons - selecting books I probs wouldn't ordinarily get at the book store/library. I've selected books for the cost (i.e. free) or because it was recommended by Amazon, etc. etc. and I don't regret it one bit.

I'll continue to buy books - in fact, there are several E books that I have in paper too. I just don't need to own/rent every book I read now :)
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    So I am curious as to what everyone's opinions are. To me, I want to have the satisfaction of having the real thing in my hand. I guess I just feel that everything in my life is all about technology, that I would like at least one facet that is not. There is something about the feel and smell of a book that you just can't get from a piece of plastic. Maybe it is just me, but that is why I will never own any kind of E-reader.

Couldn't agree more!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I love my nook :) I love being able to get my next book without having to go to a book store (closest one is 30 minutes away).