back to the mat...20lbs heavier!

Options
:noway: Greetings! HAPPY Holidaze to you all.. I am new to this sight.. and am feelin hopeful.. Just wanted to share that I had about a solid 2 year practice.. about 2 years ago! Best shape, (in all ways.. ) of my life. Then a gall bladder surgery, recovery, new grandbaby.. ahhh.. the list goes on! Anyway, back to the mat, 20 lbs heavier! I am learning some incredible lessons in humility..And? I feel like a lil' sausage roll with darn near every pose! haha.. Just thought I would say Hi.. intro myself.. guess u can tell by my name what I have been up to.. :drinker: peace and good tidings!

Replies

• nikirtehsuxlol
    nikirtehsuxlol Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Awww! I need to drop 20 lbs too! When I went through 200 hour yoga training I was the heaviest I've ever been!

Honestly, what I notice the most with the extra weight are the twists! My gut gets in the way and I cant bind anymore!
  • southernyogini
    southernyogini Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am a yoga instructor and also need to loose 20 pounds! I am determined to do it in 2012.
    My issue is that if I had to choose between working out and yoga....I chose to do yoga. I am hopeful if I keep up a daily practice it is enough to help me loose this weight combined with healthy eating.
  • GoinOrganic
    GoinOrganic Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I started yoga at 40.... and it changed my life! I am 56 now and I still have my practice. I've lived in a couple of 'secluded' areas with limited teachers available, but my first teacher taught the basics, as he knew when he left (he was only there for 6 months) we'd be on our own... so his goal was to teach us enough to keep us 'healthy and in shape'... so I never really pushed to be a rocket star yogi... that said, even at 56, I feel the fine tuning of my downward dog, and strength STILL IMPROVING. Amazing tool yoga. I've been as much as 70# heaver, and when doing plow could barely breath with my belly in my face!!

The biggest difference I've noticed, is when my diet was less than 'clean' with more sugar in it, when I'd do yoga, I'd feel 'sugar loaded'... not good. When eating 'clean' and practicing a healthier lifestyle, I just get energy with my practice, and feel rejuvenated... so for me, yoga DID motivate to not eat 'crap' at least the day/night before I had a class!!!

Here's to your success!!
  • breadnwine
    Options
    Hi lovely ppl! Got a few well needed smiles and giggles with your posts! ie.. belly and twists, belly and plow pose..:laugh: .Ended up in an advanced class by accident New Years Eve morning.. this was hilarious. I had left my water bottle at home, so I filled up a 7 up bottle with water, and I could just feel the eyes upon me. "Wow, so she is roly poly.. no wonder, she is drinking 7 up, while attempting headstand! " ha Did I mention that I am truly learning the meaning of humility this time around? And, frankly, my studio and the ppl in it r lovely! These are my projections between me, and me! Anyway, I loved hearing from all of you, look forward to hearing about your progress! cheers to 2012...:flowerforyou:
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    People always look at me with doubt when I say I practice yoga. I'm not what people usually envision. I'm pretty limited, but I still enjoy it- even if it feels like I'm doing yoga with a pillow strapped around my stomach, when it's really just my stomach.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Yoga teachers that need to lose 20lbs, yes, I'm part of that.:tongue:

The mentioning of twists and plow made me smile. I usually don't feel overweight and have a good body image. Then comes across the body twists. I was never able to make a bind, but I'm also built like a T-Rex (small arms, large torso).
  • southernyogini
    Options
    I am hopeful that with a mindful diet and daily yoga it is enough to shed the weight. I would rather spend an hour on my mat then 30 min on a treadmill.... :)
  • AmandaJane523
    Options
    I'm terrified of going to yoga classes at the gym because I feel like a huge incapable fatty! When my instructor comes from a yoga studio to our office to teach me and several people decades my senior, I feel okay taking a child's pose when there's something I can't manage. But at the gym, I feel embarrassed not doing everything that everyone else does, and I push myself too hard and end up hating it. I want to lose enough weight to rock my gym's yoga classes, but what can I do in the meantime? I can't afford studio yoga.
  • jlira01
    jlira01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting Yoga and have limited flexibility, but enjoy it. Got interested from the workouts in P90X and bought some Target Yoga DVDs and used them over the break. I'm taking my first "group" class this week at my work gym and hope to take a "hot" yoga class next week. I have about 10-15lbs to lose and notice the stomach getting in the way.
  • southernyogini
    Options
    I'm terrified of going to yoga classes at the gym because I feel like a huge incapable fatty! When my instructor comes from a yoga studio to our office to teach me and several people decades my senior, I feel okay taking a child's pose when there's something I can't manage. But at the gym, I feel embarrassed not doing everything that everyone else does, and I push myself too hard and end up hating it. I want to lose enough weight to rock my gym's yoga classes, but what can I do in the meantime? I can't afford studio yoga.
    I've been there lady! I've actually been the teacher too. I can tell you that a good teacher honors every student and should make it a comfortable environment. I feel embarassed at times because I am actually a teacher and need to lose weight. But then I realize yoga is so much more than what we can actually "do". It is more about "how you do it" and that is with everything in your life. It has been a long road for me to get to this point. There are just some things I may never do. But I am hopeful! I hope you keep up your practice!
  • breadnwine
    Options
    @Amanda... I totally understand where u are coming from my dear.. one of the most important things to remember, for me, has been that yoga is noncompetitive. Trust me, this is difficult for me now, being 20 lbs. heavier. And since my hiatus, there are even more poses I cannot do.. So, I am trying to remember, that my practice is my prayer..and its' between me and me and the Divine. Thats all. I know, very lofty indeed... but I'm trying! I myself have never really liked the gym atmosphere. I do practice in a private studio. So, money is very tight, but I figure, its' the one thing I MUST give myself 4 times a week. Heres to you and the mat! :flowerforyou:
    @jlira..hope u enjoy hot yoga! Its' truly my fav.. I love being drenched in sweat at the end! Don't forget to take a big towel to spread on your mat! Heres to a great workout!
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! My pooch gets in the way of twists & binds too....

Luckily I've never paid attention to what I look like when I'm in the studio and I sweat it out big time in Power Flow classes....UNTIL one of the studios I go to installed a mirror and I got a glimpse of my rolls...:noway: *shock* Now I choose a spot as far away from that nasty mirror as much as possible...lol

That being said tho, I hope no one feels intimidated in class...what you look like doesn't have a bearing on how "good" at yoga you are or what/how your practice will be.
  • Marebare74
    Options
    Those nasty twenty, ha! I envy those of you that get to a studio! I was introduced to yoga by the Wii... Did manage to take some prenatal classes at a studio two years ago and fell in love. But now I don't really have a means to get out and away from the little ones until until the youngest starts school... I look forward to that day. But for now I have actually found an iPad app that I am enjoying: Yoga HD. So for now that is the best I can do, I just hope I am getting most of the poses close to correct, sometimes it's hard to tell just based on the photos. I try and remember the tools that the instructor provided when I took classes. But as pregnant women we never did upward dog... a girlfriend had to show me hat one, I couldn't figure how it differed from cobra!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    , I just hope I am getting most of the poses close to correct, sometimes it's hard to tell just based on the photos. I try and remember the tools that the instructor provided when I took classes. But as pregnant women we never did upward dog... a girlfriend had to show me hat one, I couldn't figure how it differed from cobra!

With cobra the hips and thighs are on the floor, and until you are very advanced, the elbow are bent. With up dog, the only thing on the floor are the feet and the hands. Up dog is a much more difficult pose than it usually gets credit for. You should press your buttocks towards your heals to make the lower back spacious. Most of the work is in the thighs and upper back.
  • jlira01
    jlira01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I bought some Yoga DVDs at target that have instructions for the poses by Rodney Yee. I have the yoga app on my iPad and found the target DVDs helpful for getting instruction and tips from Rodney or his helpers.
  • breadnwine
    Options
    Lost my yoga mojo for a bit.. back at it tho.. jus sayin hi! Glad to be back!! Hope u all are well:happy: