anyone here do a plant-based diet?

Options
tannity2
tannity2 Posts: 50 Member
Just curious to see if anyone with Hashimoto's or hypothyroidism has had any success with a plant-based diet. I know Paleo is one of the recommended ways to eat. I have a hard stomaching animal protein and am wondering about alternatives.

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I eat keto style - Low Carb, Moderate Protein, High Fat. Carbs are not my friend :-)... I get most of my fat from avocado, olive oil, butter, nuts, eggs and cheese. I do eat some meat and fish, but nothing like Paleo. I don't eat any fruit right now - when I eat fruit I gain weight, even if I am eating low calorie.

If you are eating at a calorie deficit daily and not losing weight you might need to drop the "bad" carbs -- those that have high glycemic index.
  • tannity2
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!
  • fitzyloveslife
    Options
    Hi there
    Im a vegan so eat plant based, i have only just joined and am on a get fit get healthy routine x eat to live looks like a cool weight loss idea, just thought i would share x
    warmest wishes fitzy
  • tannity2
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, Fitzy! Nice to know. I'll check out Eat to Live. I'm glad I'm not alone here. I agree with you, Tecallahan. Carbs are not my friends, either. (I have a lot more research to do along these lines). Meanwhile, I'm hugely plant based, but I'm still transitioning to vegan. Found a great protein powder -- Garden of Life Raw Protein -- that is low carb and has a fair amount of protein. Mostly sprouted grains & legumes, which I seem to be able to handle. Hope it works in the long run!

Thanks again, both of you, for sharing what you do. It helps me a lot.

Best wishes,
    Tannity
  • roamingriley
    Options
    I am also a vegan. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I have been struggling for two years to lose weight. I have recently joined MFP and started an aggressive exercise program. I am also trying to cut out gluten. Any and all tips are welcome! Nice to know there are other plant based diet folks out there.
  • tannity2
    Options
    It'd be great to support each other in this. I'm gluten-free and trying to be vegan -- also trying to get up enough energy to get back to the gym. What kind of exercise program are you on?
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Eat To Live is a great diet - as long as you aren't insulin resistant, which I am - I can't eat fruit or starchy veggies - only green leafy.

For exercise, we are about the same age - I can recommend that you start slow so that you don't get injured. Maybe start out on a stationary bike or an elliptical machine. Then as you get stronger every few weeks add something else in, like maybe a Pilates class (for core strength) or working with some light kettleballs or weights.

If you go to a gym, they can probably help you with a plan to progress into various types of exercise. I rely on my personal trainer a lot !
  • tannity2
    Options
    That's great advice, tecallahan. I think I'll try getting to the gym tomorrow -- (just do it!) It might even give me some energy. Thank you!
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    Yesterday, I attended a talk given by Christina Pirello who hosts a PBS cooking show "Christina Cooks". She is vegan and has a very inspiring story.

Although I don't think I want to embrace a totally vegan lifestyle, I would agree that we include in our diet too much animal based protein in our diet and need to be more balanced with healthy choices of plant-based protein & carbs.

The talk was about how the quality of our food has changed since the 1940's and she offered some real eye opening information. I picked up a copy of her new book "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to eat it anymore!"

You may want to check out her website for more information. I don't have any affiliation just passing along info if you are interested.

Donna
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Sounds interesting. I always eat a lot of veggies -- they are almost "free" foods, so you can eat a lot of it for not a lot of calories!! :laugh: My afternoon ginormous salad is a must -- it helps me not to crave bad stuff in the afternoon. But I also eat some meat or fish every day.
  • AlaskaLily
    Options
    Interesting stuff. I definitely have some input...

I was part of a study in undergrad on hypothyroidism and saturated fat. I love all food, so it was easy to ditch meat and go veggie for a couple months during the study. The veggie diet basically stabilized my blood work, which did support their hypothesis that we eat too much meat, and although fat in general keeps us fuller longer, the high amount of saturated fat is unnecessary! I wish I had a copy of the outcome/published paper, but I have no clue who to contact! It is out of West Virginia University.

Just the other day I watched Food Inc. and Forks Over Knives. My story: I love cheese...and could put sharp VT cheddar on pretty much anything (even my tooth brush...hehe)...more about diary later. After reading an amazing book by Anne Marie Corbin (sp?) and researching the clean eating/whole food movement, I am definitely interested. With a medical degree behind me, I learned that our teeth are truly made to chew animal protein...and our digestive system can handle the meat. We have to think about history too, though, and how little of the animal protein was actually being ingested. In the meantime we had to survive on legumes and veggies. Being veggie is fine, but don't kill yourself if you still prefer to eat meat. Dairy...is another topic. What other animal continues to drink milk as an adult or older child? NONE! On top of that, what animal drinks another animal's milk? NONE. Just us. Dairy is something that we really need to cut back on (insert issue of being a cheese addict!). Believe it or not, milk isn't too much help. I was a hardcore cold cold cold skim milk drinker, and now I don't at all. Milk actually reverses calcium absorption. It is so acidic that it takes all the fortification IN milk to replace what it's acidity has removed during digestion. So re-think your dairy intake...interesting!

So my plan is to load up on those veggies, moderate fish, extremely moderate dairy/no dairy and moderate grains/fruits. Hmm....
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Interesting stuff. I definitely have some input...

I was part of a study in undergrad on hypothyroidism and saturated fat. I love all food, so it was easy to ditch meat and go veggie for a couple months during the study. The veggie diet basically stabilized my blood work, which did support their hypothesis that we eat too much meat, and although fat in general keeps us fuller longer, the high amount of saturated fat is unnecessary! I wish I had a copy of the outcome/published paper, but I have no clue who to contact! It is out of West Virginia University.

Just the other day I watched Food Inc. and Forks Over Knives. My story: I love cheese...and could put sharp VT cheddar on pretty much anything (even my tooth brush...hehe)...more about diary later. After reading an amazing book by Anne Marie Corbin (sp?) and researching the clean eating/whole food movement, I am definitely interested. With a medical degree behind me, I learned that our teeth are truly made to chew animal protein...and our digestive system can handle the meat. We have to think about history too, though, and how little of the animal protein was actually being ingested. In the meantime we had to survive on legumes and veggies. Being veggie is fine, but don't kill yourself if you still prefer to eat meat. Dairy...is another topic. What other animal continues to drink milk as an adult or older child? NONE! On top of that, what animal drinks another animal's milk? NONE. Just us. Dairy is something that we really need to cut back on (insert issue of being a cheese addict!). Believe it or not, milk isn't too much help. I was a hardcore cold cold cold skim milk drinker, and now I don't at all. Milk actually reverses calcium absorption. It is so acidic that it takes all the fortification IN milk to replace what it's acidity has removed during digestion. So re-think your dairy intake...interesting!

So my plan is to load up on those veggies, moderate fish, extremely moderate dairy/no dairy and moderate grains/fruits. Hmm....

Well said!! Agree on the dairy -- and from one cheese addict to another - very tough to give up my cheese! :frown: But I let the milk go long ago!!
  • tannity2
    Options
    I'm learning so much from all of you and am eager to check out your suggestions and resources. Thank you everyone!
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    After seeing LHughe11's post about Forks Over Knives, my husband and I watched it on Netflix last night. It was so interesting and full of information, I want to watch it again.

While I don't think I can embrace a totally vegan lifestyle, I agree that we ingest too much animal protein in the United States and it's making us sick and fat. Add to that the cultivation of food with chemicals and pesticides and processing with more chemical additives - it's amazing we can still even function as a society.

I've come to realize that this is less about taking off unwanted pounds and more about educating myself about eating the right foods for health, energy and vitality.
  • tannity2
    Options
    I agree. I'm going to watch Forks Over Knives -- have heard so much about it.
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you plan on doing a plant-based diet you may want to look into what can suppress your thyroid function. Here is a link to goitrogenic food. That being said, if you cook a lot of these foods can help. It is worse in the raw form. Also INCREASE your saturated fat. I have some coconut oil everyday. Good luck with your diet :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goitrogen
  • tannity2
    Options
    I've heard a lot of good things about coconut oil and Hashimoto's, but I don't know the reasons behind it. Can you enlighten me a bit? I just bought some, but there's a part of my brain that still sets off alarms with saturated fat. Help!
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It promotes thermogenesis [burning of calories to produce heat]. Coconut oil improves sluggish thyroids by stimulating the production of extra thyroid hormones. Most other common oils, like vegetable (soy) and corn have been shown to inhibit thyroid function. I don't know if there have been any studies done .. but there are people who say it warms them up. They don't feel cold all the time. I can't speak to that myself cause I am still struggling with that. Maybe I just need to add MOAR to my diet. LOL
  • tannity2
    Options
    Thank you, Carrie. I'll try using it and see if it helps.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    oh yes! Coconut oil is great! We cook everything in it!