Exercise with Fibro

Options
gavians
gavians Posts: 72 Member
What type of exercise do you do with fibro? What can't you do with fibro?

Replies

• gavians
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed with Fibro about five years ago, I just completed a successful fitness recovery losing over 70 pounds down to 220. My regime included elliptical and treadmill for cardio followed by hard weight training. At 220, I wasn't skinny but with my large frame I was very fit and in great shape; I would run 5 miles in about 45 minutes barely breaking a sweat or losing my breath.

One day I was doing my first warm-up reps on the bench - just 155lbs which at the time felt like air, when I felt like I pulled a muscle in my arm. A little freaked out, I thought maybe I was over doing something and took a break from weight training for a couple weeks - sticking to cardio. Then I went back to weight training, and again! Thought I pulled a muscle. So I went back to just cardio. Then several weeks later, just on the elliptical, after only about 4 minutes, I thought I twisted my ankle funny and had to quit. Took a week off then went back to elliptical, this time lasted about 40 seconds and could barely walk back to the locker room. Time to see the doctor.

After the routine you are probably familiar with including months of blood tests, MRIs, EMG, all the works.... Neurologist says Fibromayalgia.

Fast forward 5 years, I gained all my weight back. My wife couldn't understand my lack of energy, lack of enjoyment in life, or sexual relationsihp (thanks Cymbalta). So now I am divorced and fat. AWESOME! Thanks Fibro!

Now I am starting over again. I feel a bit better than I did before (I think in part to Fibro-Response) and about to start my fitness journey again.

I ordered a new Octane 47Ci elliptical machine that will be parked next to my bed in front of a nice new LED TV (ex took the old one). I plan to use it as much as possible to burn off these lbs. I am just scared to death that the fibro pain will stop me again. I have been to the gym several times and it seems ok, but what happens when I am in full swing again?
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Wow, sorry for all the bad stuff sorry your wife didn't get it, that does happen alot with Fibro,if you don't have it, you don't get it. Good luck with your comeback!!!
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    i can swim (then i can do everything under the water), i can dance around the house til i sweat myself silly. also i just bought a tai chi video workout with a local master who my good friend works for so i know it's good. my grandson will be starting classes with him soon after school. so i hope to start that either tomorrow or the weekend. i walked all over walmart (and i try to instead of using an electric cart) for about an hour and a half. but that is probably not considered exercise no matter how much it hurts. i'm supposed to walk around the block a couple of times also. i'm going to start doing that at least once a week and work up to more. so far that is about it. but at least i know the pain will not hurt me, so i figure might as well work through some of it anyway.

i cannot do YOGA, calesthenics (sp?), aerobics or stuff like that. i cannot run as i have asthma, also i have lymphedema and heavy water weight gain from it. it's permanent. i also hate water and it makes me nauseas or have indigestion/heartburn if i drink to much of it. so my drink of choice is either 2% milk (but i might go 1% soon if i can find it that tastes good), juice or decaf herbal green tea with honey. otherwise, i love food. especially red meat, gravy and chocolate.
  • gavians
    Options
    Depending on where you live, walking outside isn't a good option (too hot, too cold, too humid). Another option for walking is your local indoor mall. It is usually a nice comfortable environment, more open space, and they usually have really nice lounge areas to rest if need to sit down. The mall makes for some good people watching, too -- maybe a little more entertaining than Walmart (unless you are a fan of www.peopleofwalmart.com, LOL! :) Sometimes, there are even groups that meet at the mall just to walk.

I used to drink skim milk to be a good boy. But I hated the taste so much I was always sneaking the 2% I would buy for my boys. It isn't good for small children to avoid all fats since they need it for brain development (1-5 yo). Now my boys are older, 6 & 8, so I have graduated them to 1% and now we drink the same milk! YEAH! I like the 1% just as much as the 2% and it is a little better for adults. I would say go for the 1%, you won't miss the 2%.

You may also want to pay attention to brands. Some of the premium brands actually taste better than the cheapest, IMO. In Chicago, we have Oberweis Dairy (you may have heard of Jim Oberweis - ran for Senator, etc.). I don't know how they do it, but their skim tastes like 1% to me but is twice the price. My theory is that there are specific FDA guidelines on how much fat is permitted in the milk to call it "skim" -- I suspect that they have better process controls to push the limits on what is allowed, i.e. Oberwise skim is like 0.3% where generic walmart milk is less than 0.1% (I made up the numbers just for arguments sake). Anybody know if my theory has any basis? Sorry, I am an engineer so I think about these things! :)
  • vittix
    vittix Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, Ive been living with fibro for about 12 yrs and i also had WLS about 10 yrs ago. I loss 155 lbs and walking was the key for me. Id walk the mall, i was really into yoga. I was doing well. Then the pain started taking over, if i fold the wash I'm in pain for 3 days. If it rains, snows i feel it. Over the past 6 yrs Ive's had knee work done, work on my heel. This past year bursitis has taken over my hip. So not being able to walk like i use too and being stuck in a body that just doesn't want to work with me i gained 80 or so lbs back. So if i can get to the mall and do half of it it's a good day. I make myself out out and walk walmart (its a big box store i start a one end to the other on a good day) or the food store. My biggest thing is overdoing it. This past summer i got to do some swimming and the 1st few times i was super sore. It felt good! I feel powerless with it comes to my body so I'm controlling what i put into it, Ive been on a 1200 cal diet for about 6 months I'm down 50 lbs. :) I see my Dr every week. I now have what my 14 yr calls calorie OCD lol Next month I'm having more knee work done. I'm hoping when its healed and maybe my hip will be willing to get back to the mall or where ever to get moving again. I live in Maine its snowing i felt it before it started lol the cold and i don't mix. I know I'll never be pain free, its a one day at a time thing. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one ready to give up. :)
  • RILEYRED
    Options
    I'm in PA. and the cold, wet weather is my enemy. I agree, I felt the snow before it ever hit!!!! my husband thinks pushing yourself to the limit is the answer, it is the worse for me, so that is a battle. I use to be able to help out alot with yard work, heavy stuff, I can't anymore, he sees that as laziness I guess. You can only push your body to a comfortable point, then stop and rest it.
  • gavians
    Options
    vittix -
    This isn't a group for those ready to give up! This is for survivors doing what ever it takes to reach our goals. Unfortunately, we have more challenges than the typical person. But your 50 lbs and CALORIE OCD proves that you are WINNER! Exercise what your body will allow and maintain those calories. When you aren't carrying around so much weight, your pain should be less than heavier and be able to do a little bit more. Even if we never get pain free, we must do what ever we can do make the best of what we have!

KEEP ON THE GOOD FIGHT! NEVER GIVE UP!
  • gavians
    Options
    Elliptical machines are a great too for low impact cardio. There is another group with discussions on how to make excercise interesting with elliptical machines: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/83-elliptical-users

This is my new Octane 47ci. Waiting for delivery in two weeks.
    7308705ada1db92d0d0d0b6a383b6135.jpg
  • Hysiq
    Hysiq Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm having so much trouble with exercise! When I was younger I use to go until I couldn't anymore. Of course I can't do that anymore. It's hard for me to make myself stop even when I feel fine. I know the next day (or few) will be hell if I over do it! I do a few things to keep myself on track like timing my exercise and things like that.

I am in a weakened condition from being very ill for a while so I have to start so slow it almost hurts! lol :P

Any advice for finding a good limit? Sometimes I feel like I haven't done enough, and other times I KNOW I've done too much.
  • vittix
    vittix Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @Gavians, i ment Not giving up. Im not giving up. Im happy to see groups like this. I think for alot of us you can feel alone and not understood. One of my PT gave me these huge bands and they help with you can't get out and about. Its a good warm up but dont over do it lol i know that now..... :)
  • deanap1232
    deanap1232 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had fibro for about 14 years. Exercise and weight loss have always been issues for me. In addition to Fibromyalgia, I also have diabetes and hypothyroidism. I take Cymbalta now. I tried Lyrica and Savella. Lyrica did nothing for me and the Savella made me very mean, angry, sad and depressed, even more than usual. I can't feel that way and teach third grade. I find that stress makes my fibro worse as well as cold weather.
    I joined a gym a couple of months ago. I used to do a lot of walking but got out of the habit and quit. Now, I use the elliptical, and I also do step aerobics and aerobics. It is so hard and there are times that I want to quit, but I keep pushing through. The treadmill makes my hips and back hurt terribly, so I don't use it unless I have to.
    I have found that taking magnesium and vitamin D help with the pain, and also help me sleep. I have found also that taking a multivitamin helps as well. I feel much worse if I eat a lot of carbs, so I watch those. All of these things help me get through the day and get through the exercise. I have not lost any weight, my weight actually goes up and down from day to day. Its frustrating, but I am not going to quit. :wink:
  • gavians
    Options
    @deanap1232 - Thanks for sharing. Almost everything you mentioned I am VERY familiar with. You are not alone. You didn't mention your thoughts on Cymbalta -- I am interested compared to the others (I hated Cymbalta, btw). Keep on the fight -- even if you don't see big weight loss, staying fit will give you a bit more stamina. We are all pulling for you!
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    luckily we have an indoor pool and it's very warm. very clean too (which is great considering it's a public pool out in the boonies). so i can swim year round. just have to have the money to do it. lol!

as for 2% or lower. i prefer 2%, but somebody gave us 10 little 1 quart boxes of gossner 1% milk and once i open them for cooking i finish off the box myself over the period of a day or so. otherwise it's 2%. i refuse to drink non-fat. i do not want just a little bit of milk in my water.

i also refuse to drink 8 cups of water a day. but i will drink 1 or 2 and that's fine. YUCK. i can barely stomach ice water. luckily i have an ice machine on my fridge. lol!
  • RILEYRED
    Options
    DEANAP, how much vitamin D do you take, and how often? I was told I should start taking it, but wasn't told how much. Thanks, Red
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    DEANAP, how much vitamin D do you take, and how often? I was told I should start taking it, but wasn't told how much. Thanks, Red

my dr gave me an Rx for it. but i think it's like 50000mg.
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    oh that is once a week, then every two weeks and then once a month after that.
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    You didn't mention your thoughts on Cymbalta -- I am interested compared to the others (I hated Cymbalta, btw).

I hated it as well. It made me really tired, but I'd wake up with terrible night sweats, and I put on weight like crazy on it. Didn't have much effect on my pain, either, and I sure as heck didn't need more "fat and sleepy" in my life, lol.

Loved Savella, I almost felt like a normal person again on it, but unfortunately it raised my blood pressure from around 110/70 to 140/100 so I had to stop taking it.

I recently got my vitamin D levels up to the low end of the normal range with 2000iu's a day.

For cardio, I use the elliptical machine at the gym 5x a week, and it's going really well. Getting started was hard, but keeping with it has really helped with the pain and depression.
  • RILEYRED
    Options
    Glad to hear you liked Savella, I am considering it, but didn't know much about it. Did you gain weight with it.Thanks,hsmithway.
  • gavians
    Options
    Are there any side effects you experienced with Savella?

Yes, I hated the night sweats on Cymbalta, too. It was pretty gross. I started buying new pillows every few weeks because of it. Since getting off Cymbalta for about 6 mos now, I have been able to keep the same pillow! Hooray!
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    I did not gain any weight with Savella. The worst side effect was the increase in my blood pressure. Other than that, the side effects were pretty minimal for me. Some nausea, but that faded pretty quickly as long as I took it with food. And by with food, I mean literally *with food*, solid food, immediately after or during a meal. If I took it 20+ minutes after eating, it would make me really sick to my stomach, but if I took it within 10 minutes of eating, I was completely fine.

Sorry you were so miserable on Cymbalta too gavians, but I'm glad to hear that your pillows are fresh and long lasting these days :D