2012 races!

Options

Replies

• chipmunk70
    chipmunk70 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well I have 2 races that I'm planning on doing this year so far......but then this year will be my first year of doing any races.....so might get the bug for it.

March 25 - Yeovil half-marathon
    June ish - Race for Life.

Probably could do with getting a 5K or 10K in before March 25th, but can't find anything localish, that ties in with my working hours :-( oh well, will just have to go straight for the jugular with the Yeovil Half Marathon !
  • lilsmiley11122
    lilsmiley11122 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Didn't get into London for the second year in a row, so I am running the Paris Marathon on April 15. Anybody have a good late-Feb/early-March half? I looked at Brighton, Cambridge, Silverstone, and Bath but they are all sold out. :-( I guess you have to pick your races early these days!

Thanks for the help :-)
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    This is my first year of running. I'm doing

Oxford Resolution 5k - April
    Oxford Town and Gown 10k - May (my first)
    Blenheim Palance Sprint Triathlon - June (my first)

EXCITING!
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Smiley, some races to consider

Wokingham half - Feb 19th

Roding Valley half, Tunbridge wells half, Great north west half, Heartbreak 14 miles - 26th feb

Eastbourne half, Paris Half, Berkhamstead half, Steyning stinger 04th march

Lydd half, Colchester half, New Forest half, 11th

If you need more, check www.southernrunningguide.com
  • lottiepen
    lottiepen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    HI all, am hoping to be successful in the second ballot to enter the GNR so I meet my target of doing my first half marathon having built up from a standstill a year ago. Will be running again in the GSR in Portsmouth as it's such a good event and fast, have the London 10k in the spring and, er, that's it for now! I entered the NYC Marthon ballot but what are the chances of that coming good...!

Oh and hi (new to MFP). Right, off for my long run....
  • gottolosethisfat
    Options
    So. 2012 is upon us, who's racing what?

So far i have

GRIM night terror - feb
    Reading half - apr
    London - apr

Im going to start searching for other races today although i cant commit to too much pre April due to marathon training, but i definitely need another half mid February. What are you all planning to do?

I have the Birmingham half marathon in October and the suttonnfun run in june which is 8 miles. May do some others too
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a newbie runner and I'm doing my first 5K and 10K races in the spring/summer. I was hoping to do a half marathon later in the year. What would be a good race for beginners in the north west?
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    Options
    Look for your nearest parkrun, its a weekly 5k for all levels
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    The only race I have booked for this year is the Wilmslow half. I've done this one a few times now and it's a well organised race (and local for me).

I feel like getting a few trail races sorted after that.
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options

I've already checked out a couple of parkruns and will be doing one very soon. I've also got a 10K race planned in June, but I'm not sure which half marathon I should go for. Are there any that you think would be more suitable for beginners (i.e. not overtly hilly etc)? I'm in the north west.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Just added the Bookham 10k a trail run on the North Downs 5th Feb
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    Options
    Just added the Bookham 10k a trail run on the North Downs 5th Feb

Are you doing Night Terror?

I dont know much about that area, sorry, im doing the robin hood half this year, but i imagine that will be hilly!
  • Dizzle_65
    Options
    No, I ummed and arrred about it but with my ankle decided to give it a miss. If I go over on it that'll be me out for most of the year so didn't want to take the risk.

Bookham should be good, a few hills on the North Downs but only 10k so hopefully a nice run.
  • wantmorepies
    Options

I've already checked out a couple of parkruns and will be doing one very soon. I've also got a 10K race planned in June, but I'm not sure which half marathon I should go for. Are there any that you think would be more suitable for beginners (i.e. not overtly hilly etc)? I'm in the north west.

Whereabouts in the North West? I'm the event director of Bradford parkrun and of course can highly recommend it!

Races this year for me:

Jane Tomlinson 10k (Leeds)
    Yorkshire Vets series
    Great North Run
    Guy Fawkes 10
    Leeds Abbey Dash!
    ...Linda xx
  • Dizzle_65
    Options
    Looks like I am about to sign up for my first Marathon, The Snowodn marathon in October. Will have to book up a few halfs as well now.
  • JoJ74
    JoJ74 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hiya, I'm new to MFP and this board. Have signed up for the Liverpool Half Marathon which is on March 18th and I'm struggling at the moment! Trying to stick to 1200 cals at least 5-6 days a week and slightly more 1-2 and legs are really aching. Am only up to about half the distance at the moment and just over 4 weeks to go - looks like I won't manage to run it all :o( Any tips?
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I'm new to MFP and this board. Have signed up for the Liverpool Half Marathon which is on March 18th and I'm struggling at the moment! Trying to stick to 1200 cals at least 5-6 days a week and slightly more 1-2 and legs are really aching. Am only up to about half the distance at the moment and just over 4 weeks to go - looks like I won't manage to run it all :o( Any tips?

Increasing distance and losing weight is hard. Very hard. Not impossible, but not easy. If I were you I'd up my cals until the run was out of the way. But, what it basically comes down to is which is you priority the run or the weight loss?

Feel free to message me if you want to.

Best wishes.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories, you need to fuel your runs and re-build your muscles afterwards!

Check your MFP settings to lose 1lb a week rather than this arbitrary figure of 1,200. You'll stop feeling hungry and sore and will run tons better!

Stretch, stretch, stretch after running.

Finally do the race, but run/walk it. You can definitely run half the distance, right? Try running three minutes and walking two. You can do this!
  • JoJ74
    JoJ74 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you! I ran 10k yesterday and was fine, ache today though, sore shins!! I will up my cals and see how I go over next 3 weeks, see if I can get my distance up to 15 + kms. :o)
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    :smile:

Bradford 10k 25 March.
    Baildon Boundary Way Half Marathon 1st April.
    Leeds Half Marathon 13 May
    Edinburgh Marathon 27 May

Thats my lot so far