What to do next

Options
2»

Replies

• aliciakay3086
    aliciakay3086 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    After finishing the last stage of NROLFW two weeks ago, I bought and skimmed through the New Rules of Lifting for Abs, and it looked so confusing and complex that I decided to put that off and just re-start NROLFW. I still consider myself a beginner and my goal is to build strength and muscle, and I think NROLFW will keep me more focused on that.
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    I only started (or restarted to be more accurrate) stage 1 last week but I'm thinking I might just repeat NROLF4W once I finish or d the strong lifts. If I stay on schedule I will finish some time in June/July time frame and at that point I think I will be training for my first marathon (haven't decided yet if I'm ready for that). I guess I will see how I feel after going through this once.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Thanks, girls! I have been looking at the NROL for Abs, but don't know yet. I still have a lot of time to think about it. I'm interested to see what other people will do after this one.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,964 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, "The New Rules of Lifting for Life" will be available April 1, 2012!! So, you might just need a filler program for Feb/Mar and then you could try that one!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Yay, may be I'll just weight to see what the new book is all about. Thanks for reminding me!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Lou Schuler (sometimes) posts on the JP Fitness forum. He DID post earlier this week on his new book:

http://www.jpfitness.com/showthread.php?t=49480
  • Beeps2011
    Options
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement! Motivating my husband back into working out is a big deal. He used to be more into it than I am now but one day decided he really didn't enjoy working out(this also has to do with chronic back pain and the arthritis that he has). I am glad he wants to be healthier.

As for me, I am greatly discouraged because I just can not get my stomach down. I increase cals I decrease cals but nothing changes. I think day to day I eat pretty well. I cheat on weekends mostly but get right back to it on Mondays. My cheats aren't even that bad. I don't care what the scale says, I feel fat. I hate that my stomach still hangs over my jeans a little. Everyone I know thinks I am insane to think that I'm fat but I can't help it. I hate what I see in the mirror. Sometimes I wish I could just get some lipo.

idauria, I don't know if this is your issue or not but have you been checked for diastasis recti? It's a separation of the stomach muscles and can cause you to look like you're pregnant from the belly pooching out. It's very common for women post pregnancy but also years beyond if they've never been diagnosed and rehabbed. Me can get it as well so even if you've never been pregnant it could still be an issue. If you google it you will see lots of info and there are self tests you can do. I won't attempt to describe them here because there are some very good websites that do it far better than I could. I hope you can figure out what the issue is and move beyond the frustration!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement! Motivating my husband back into working out is a big deal. He used to be more into it than I am now but one day decided he really didn't enjoy working out(this also has to do with chronic back pain and the arthritis that he has). I am glad he wants to be healthier.

As for me, I am greatly discouraged because I just can not get my stomach down. I increase cals I decrease cals but nothing changes. I think day to day I eat pretty well. I cheat on weekends mostly but get right back to it on Mondays. My cheats aren't even that bad. I don't care what the scale says, I feel fat. I hate that my stomach still hangs over my jeans a little. Everyone I know thinks I am insane to think that I'm fat but I can't help it. I hate what I see in the mirror. Sometimes I wish I could just get some lipo.

idauria, I don't know if this is your issue or not but have you been checked for diastasis recti? It's a separation of the stomach muscles and can cause you to look like you're pregnant from the belly pooching out. It's very common for women post pregnancy but also years beyond if they've never been diagnosed and rehabbed. Me can get it as well so even if you've never been pregnant it could still be an issue. If you google it you will see lots of info and there are self tests you can do. I won't attempt to describe them here because there are some very good websites that do it far better than I could. I hope you can figure out what the issue is and move beyond the frustration!

I never heard of diastisis recti so no, I haven't been checked for it. Sounds interesting though. That could be my problem but I doubt it. I never had a flat tummy even before I had my kids. I really don't think there are any medical issues other than lack of heavy exercise. I am coming to terms with the fact that I will probably never have a flat stomach unless I do endless cardio and really be strict with my diet. While I have been doing pretty well with diet, I can't be totally strict. I allow myself cheats on the weekend so I don't binge during the week. Also, I don't have the time or strength to do lots of cardio, although I am now incorporating intervals on my elliptical on my non-weight training days. So maybe there's hope yet! Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I just got my book. After reading this thread and a few others I'm beginnign to think it may not be for me. I just read it has 90 minute workouts? I can't fit that in anywhere! How many days a week? I consistantly workout 5-6 days a week for 60 minutes from 5-6 am then the kids have to get up then I babysit all day, then homework, dinner and extra curricular acttivities. I already do 60 minutes not sure I can get in aother 30 though. :ohwell: Kinda sad because I was really excited about getting this book. I also wont go to a gym and do this in my basement but our weights dont go up to 500 lbs.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Only some of the workouts last 90 minutes, and there are ways you could break it up if you need to. For instance, doing the HIIT on a different day than your lifting day, When you get to stage 3 and face the body weight matrix you could easily move that to later in the day, since you could do it anywhere. If you're in your own workout area (and don't have to share) I bet it goes faster! As for the weights going up to 500 - I rather doubt you're ever going to need 500 pounds for anything.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Only some of the workouts last 90 minutes, and there are ways you could break it up if you need to. For instance, doing the HIIT on a different day than your lifting day, When you get to stage 3 and face the body weight matrix you could easily move that to later in the day, since you could do it anywhere. If you're in your own workout area (and don't have to share) I bet it goes faster! As for the weights going up to 500 - I rather doubt you're ever going to need 500 pounds for anything.

Oh gosh thankyou so much for explaining this to me. I was getting dissappointed. THIS I can do. I was doing (and very shortlived) the Tracy Anderson 30-Day method and she said you have to work out everyday for 90 minutes! It was VERY tedious and completely boring, for me anyway. Selling it on ebay...lol.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Hi Faith, the workouts also don't get really long until later stages. I encourage you to at least start stage 1 and see if you like it before you make up your mind. Stage one workouts take most people about 25-30 minutes, totally managable :)
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Hi Faith, the workouts also don't get really long until later stages. I encourage you to at least start stage 1 and see if you like it before you make up your mind. Stage one workouts take most people about 25-30 minutes, totally managable :)

Definitely thankyou!