Ankle pain?

Options
Hola723
Hola723 Posts: 159 Member
Hi! I am on W2D2 and my ankles are KILLING me! I'm talking, could barely walk after doing my W2D1 workout last night killing me. They are doing better today (not 100%, but better), but I am nervous about my workout tomorrow. Did anyone else experience ankle pain when they started C25K or running in general? Is it because my ankles are weak from not exercising? Do I just need to work through it and strengthen my ankles as I go? I REALLY don't want to stop C25K because I am enjoying it so far. Something about finishing one of those workouts makes me feel super accomplished :). However, I want to be realistic about my capabilities. Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• anilyze
    anilyze Posts: 67
    Options
    Hmm. I don't know about ankle pain. Are you running somewhere with a slanted surface? Could that be it?

I used to be more sprain prone and I went to physical therapy to work on speeding up recovery and preventing future sprains. They really stressed working on all the muscles involved in balance in both legs. One of the easiest ways to do this is just by standing on one leg for at least 30 seconds. Then do it a few times with each leg throughout the day. Once that gets easy, try it with your eyes closed. Then try on less stable surface. Carpet. A pillow. A bosu ball. etc. Look up other exercises too that help with balance.

Also, how fast are you running? Remember, however slow most people think they're going, they're usually still too fast. Go REAL slow initially.

Congrats on starting towards becoming a runner! :D
  • anilyze
    Options
    I would recommend doing the balance work barefoot by the way. So that you can get feedback about the surface and adjust to balance. For the same reason, I would add short barefoot walks. Start by spending some time barefoot indoors. Then maybe see about shorter walks. Or walks on a local track (if you don't like the idea of barefooting on asphalt or concrete). This has really strengthened my feet and legs and shin pain, knee pain, and twisted ankles are a thing of the past.
  • Hola723
    Options
    Very helpful! I am not running very fast AT ALL, more like kicking my walk up a notch into a shuffle-like jog. I will try the ankle-strengthening exercises tonight when I get home and start working some barefoot walking into my day, as well. THANK YOU!
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I just posted something similar last night. I was told it might be my shoes and that I should go get fitted for new ones. However, i usually walk barefoot everyday at my workplace (small office of only 3 people and new carpets).. .I cant afford new shoes right now so I think I will try the barefoot thing (with socks of course) on the treadmill at my apt gym... that might do the trick killing the pain in my ankle/shin/calves.

Thanks for the tip :)
  • no_worries
    no_worries Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I work for a podiatrist as a medical assistant and the one thing we tell every patient who exercises is that working out barefoot on a hard surface is not good. It increases the cases of plantar fasciitis.

If you're having any sort of ankle pain I urge you to go to a podiatrist just to make sure that it's nothing serious.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Which part of the ankle? I am getting a mild pain on the inner ankle bone of one leg and think it's ligaments for me. I am icing it after very run, and using anti-inflammatory cream as well as some stretches for that area, and seem to be staying on top of it.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Icing after your workout is good advice. I also wear an ankle brace when I run for extra stability. Another exercise a PT recommended for building ankle strength is up and down off toes, pretty simple and can be done anywhere. Stretching is important too. Good luck.
  • Operation_Me
    Operation_Me Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Good topic. I get ankle pain while I am running as well. It gets so bad sometimes that it feels like my ankle's gonna snap off or something. I'm flatfooted and I think a big reason it's hurting is because I don't have the right kind of running shoes.
  • Hola723
    Options
    Ankle update: Just completed W2D3 today and I am happy/relieved to report that the ankle pain is getting better with each passing day. I have been icing after each workout and doing the strengthening exercises the PP recommended. I no longer have to limp around my classroom- hooray!
  • anilyze
    Options
    People with plantar fasciitis have also seen improvement after nothing their podiatrists suggested helped. There are also podiatrists that do some barefoot training.

People have been walking and running without shoes (or anything resembling cushioned shoes) for 100,000+ years. When shoe manufacturers started marketing more cushioning and more stability, no one asked them for research showing that those things helped. These shoes don't allow the foot and ankle to move naturally to stabilize and absorb impact.
    There still isn't any research showing cushioning or stability decreases injuries. Actually, there's research showing the exact opposite.

For instance, this study...

Just came across this research study.

Custom fitted shoes don't prevent injury...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/07/07/us-running-shoes-idUSTRE6665PZ20100707

PASTED from article
    Shoe companies market different sneaker models to runners based on how their feet roll and distribute their weight when they hit the ground -- a term referred to as pronation.

Overpronators have feet that roll too far inward on each stride, while the feet of underpronators don't roll enough. Shoes are marketed under the assumption that by adjusting for some of these differences, runners can improve their mechanics and thus prevent injury.

Pronation is generally measured by taking a flat footprint and examining how much of the foot is in contact with the ground when the runner is standing still, a method used by many running specialty stores. But Marine Corps recruits who were fitted for sneakers this way got injured just as frequently as those who were all given a basic shoe made for runners who pronate normally.

During the study, Knapik and his colleagues kept track of different kinds of injuries in the recruits, including overuse injuries and injuries to tendons and ligaments as well as bones and muscles.

In every way the study team measured injuries, there was little difference in how often members of the two groups got injured. This was true for both men and women.

In all, about 42 percent of men assigned custom fitted shoes and 41 percent of men in the stability shoe group got injured over the 12-week training period. For women, approximately 37 percent in custom fitted shoes and about 45 percent in stability shoes regardless of their foot type were injured -- a difference that was not statistically significant.

So, the next time someone tells you that you should wear shoes because not wearing them isn't safe or will cause you injury, ASK FOR THE EVIDENCE.

Take it slow and listen to your body!
  • anilyze
    Options
    You can also poke around the Harvard site http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu and take a look at their information, videos, summaries of the research, etc. You'll see evidence here that there are greater impact forces when running shod (wearing shoes) than when barefoot.

---

There's also this brand new publication that found that heel-strikers reported twice as many injuries as forefoot strikers. This is important because the raised heel of "modern" running shoes (not the minimalist style ones such as Merrell's glove, or Vibrams as these have zero drop) encourages heel striking.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22217561
  • MemphisMaven
    MemphisMaven Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You might want to try running on the balls of your feet instead of heel toe. You won't be able to run the full about on the balls of your feet at first but you can build up the muscles. Also, try taking advil or an anti-inflamitory before you run.
  • anilyze
    Options
    I would NOT encourage anyone to take pain meds before running. You should be aware of discomfort and pain instead of masking it. It's important to get the message because that's your body saying OUOOOCH YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG! Ignoring it will just lead to greater injury that will be harder and harder to ignore. It's better to be aware of what's going on so that you can address the cause of the small nagging pains before they become major injuries. Also, for endurance events, this can also lead to kidney dysfunction.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/medicationanddrugs/a/NSAID_endurance.htm
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I had some ankle pain. Tightening my laces up completely (not just at the bow) helped a lot.