Tracking

Options
sarahface24
sarahface24 Posts: 10 Member
Hey everyone, i just wondering how you all track practices and derby in general on MFP? i usually stick it under skating and half the time i actually skated because it seems waaay too high. Thoughts?

Replies

• AnyaArson
    AnyaArson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been using Skating, Ice, General for 90 minutes for a two hour practice, and I'll substitute some Rapid if we do endurance, but other people in my league tend to be a lot more conservative.

What I eventually want to do is use the damned Garmin HRM I just bought, if I could just get it to register properly. Until I can get an accurate reading, you can use this calculator if you know your average heart rate:
    http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/
  • MerryKhaos
    MerryKhaos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I usually use the "Rollerblading" one... and something important is to think about how long your heart rate is up. If we have a light practice (like we did last night) I only put in how many minutes approx. we were skating. So we have a 7 minute cardio, I did my 25 in 5 in 4 minutes, and then we did about 10 minutes of other skating/skills that made me work. Yea we were there for 2 hours, but you're just cheating yourself if you put in that long for your cardio.

There's a little bit of wiggle room with EVERYTHING on here. You just gots to approximate sometimes.
  • heethar
    heethar Posts: 21
    Options
    I always under estimate on the exercise tracking and overestimate on the food tracking. I don't want to let myself cheat by giving myself extra available calories when I know it'll just hurt in the end. It's really a balancing act, wiggle room and all.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I use the blading one because I never eat enough to get even close to that number of calories anyway. If it's a light practice (which last night was not), I'll shorten the number of minutes we spent skating. However, our practices have been pretty hard lately. I'd love to get a Bodybugg or similar device to get a really accurate reading (but won't interfere with my gear).
  • JustineSane
    JustineSane Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used the Rollerblading one for the minutes I figured I was fully skating (I guess lower to be safe). Then I used the Calisthetics (push-ups, sit-ups) for our warm up pyramids - we do burpees, get-ups, planks, push-ups etc and figured that was the closest. It still seemed awfully high though ...

On the flip side, I use a raised step at home and do a step workout while watching a TV show ... I used the Wii free step to count that, and it seems awfully low ...

The way I figure it, is if you always use the same one to measure, and use the same foods, it will balance out as long as you use the same guess-timate each time........ I think :)
  • queennahs
    queennahs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I found a different online calculator and worked out how many calories I would use rollerskating (as it's different from blading) and then added a new exercise to MFP Rollerskating (derby training). This is set to my weight etc, so initially registers as quite high. Like others, I only record the number of minutes that we actually skate and I monitor my heart rate during training. I don't eat back all of my exercise calories so I'm not concerned if it's not 100% accurate.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    For those of you doing the Roller Derby Workout DVD, how do you track that? I put circuit training, general, then cut the number of calories in half. Any other ideas?
  • sarahface24
    sarahface24 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    we have two hour practices and i generally use the generic skating option and just put in 60 minutes. i want to get a HRM or something to accurately track everything, but i haven't had much luck finding something in my price range that isn't a wristwatch :(
  • queennahs
    queennahs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For those of you doing the Roller Derby Workout DVD, how do you track that? I put circuit training, general, then cut the number of calories in half. Any other ideas?

I was about to ask the same as my DVD arrived yesterday. I'll do the same as you once I get into it and also monitor using HRM and see how close / different the 'results' are... :)