Becoming a non-smoker

Well, sad to say that my master plan of quitting on 2nd Dec didn't actually happen. Part of me realised that I wasn't ready to stop then, but the more I exercise the more I am enjoying getting fit and the more annoying I am finding the whole smoking thing.

I do the usual spurt of "I enjoy it", but I know that's becuase it is an addiction, yet when I really think about it, I actually don't enjoy it, it's just a habit that's formed that I really do want to get rid of. So back to the drawing board with the aim of the New Year's Resolution to continue on my healthy lifestyle choice and to be a non-smoker.

I would be interested to hear from people who are non-smokers and how you did it. I always blame myself for a lack of will power, but if anyone can offer any suggestions and guidance, this would be appreciated.

Also if anyone has any thoughts of using Zyban or Champix then this would be great to hear as well. I used Champix in 2010 and didn't smoke literally after taking the first tablet, nor did I smoke for about 2 weeks, until some "friend", said that I had to smoke for the first 7-10days so the drug would work effectively (I thought it had), so I forced myself to smoke and then it stopped working on me. The dreams were a bit surreal at times, but all in all I did feel good on them, I just know so many people have different opinions on this.

Anyway, hope I can gain some words of wisdom from those non-smokers here (I don't like using the word quit, as I feel that quitting has negative connotations.)

Thanks all...

Replies

• bada_bing
    bada_bing Posts: 128 Member
    Hey Marcus:

I am a 9 month quitter..............YEAH and this is my final quit...of that I am sure. I used champix...smoked for only 1 week cause the sticks tasted so horrible and I have been nic free since. I also joined an online quit smoking forum which is very active with people posting all the time. If you are interested in that forum, it is http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?folderId=4&listMode=13&nav=messages&webtag=ab-quitsmoking and I do know that after new years, it will be full of new years resolution quitters.

What has been my success......well I guess 3 things...patience (it is a process not an event), determination (also have to finish everything I start) and endurance (some days I had to fight and kick and scream). Most of those days are gone within 3 months but now it is all about NOPE (not one puff ever).

The website has so much information that I read and read till the urge subsided and apparently that's what lots of other cyber friends did too.

After 43 years of trying to kill myself, I can finally say that I am starting to taste real FREEDOM, no more standing outside in cold temperatures, no more missing parts of movies, no more smell on my clothes and holes in my car seat or clothes.

I wish you luck with your endeavor but must tell you that IT IS YOUR QUIT, you have to own it! Just like loosing weight, no one can do it for you!

Donna
  • ConkreteChic
    ConkreteChic Posts: 72 Member
    Hey! I just "became a nonsmoker" (I like that!) again last Friday. So as of today I've got 6 days under my belt. I've done this before, once on Chantix and once on the patches for a couple of months at a time, so I know I've still got a lot of hurdles to jump. :)

When I was on Chantix it did crazy things to my head. I've never been a depressed person, and always been very social and outgoing, but I found myself totally emotional or (flip side) emotionally deadened, and I completely stopped hanging out with friends. They talk about suicidal ideation as being a possible side effect, and I thought "that will never happen to me". But, the weird thing about it is it did happen to me, and it wasn't at all what I was expecting. I thought I would be a sobbing mess if that happened (read: after school special on a girl who slits her wrists), but it was more insidious and dangerous than that - I simply stopped caring about what happened to me.

So, the long and short: just be careful and be very specific about noting how you're feeling. I will say the Chantix WORKS! It will help you quit no problem, But for me my mental health became even more of an issue than my physical health (with the smoking) and I had to get off it. It took me a couple years to get to the point where I feel like my old self. Be careful!

Anyway, good on you for deciding to quit and going for it! If you want some support I seem to be on these boards a lot, LOL :)
    Remind yourself of all of the reasons you are quitting and how much better you will feel, and smell, and look :)

Good luck!!
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Great decision:flowerforyou:
    becoming a none-smoker was the best decision of my life.
    I am quit since November,9th,2011 and did it cold turkey.
    Tried Chantix a year ago and became suicidal !!!
    Nicotine patches gave me nightmares.
    Alen Carr's book was recommended to me and when seeing the title "The easy way to stop smoking" I had to laugh and thought it's just another one of those empty, money-making books that sucks.
    I did read it and don't even know when I had that last ciggie that day. This time I KNOW it is not an attempt. It's for good. This time my approach is a different one and I am so glad I quit. If you REALLY want it, you don't have to replace the nicotine addiction with another one (patches, gums, e-cig, or medication) Why would I want to take pills that have a negative effect on my body? Why would I want to administer nicotine with a patch or gum when all I want is to get rid of my addiction? And this is exactly what it is: an addiction and NOT a bad habit. I have fought my addiction and NOT just kicked a habit!
    I am so proud of that.
    You can do it,too.
    If you decide to go for Chantix, be careful and watch out for any symptoms.
    Good luck on this journey :flowerforyou:
  • Thanks for the great advice - all very helpful for me and definitely good in my preparation to become a non-smoker..

This time I do want it.. I am tired of the lingering cough when I have a cold or the feeling in the morning when I;ve smoke too much, but more importantly the general lack of breath I have when i'm exercising.. (a very new issue for me..)

So thanks again and here's to joining the ranks of a non-smoker.. I'll post my date and efforts once finalised..

Thanks again
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Thanks for eveyone's input. I have tried to quit on and off for the past year. It hasn't fully happened yet. I'll go for 2 weeks, then break down and smoke for 3 weeks, then not smoke for a week, etc. My HUGE problem is..I enjoy smoking. I've been smoking for 4 years..so in my warped mind, I tell myself there's not that much damage yet. And I switched to 100% tobacco cigarettes last year, so I tell myself it's not a physical / nicotine addiction, but a mental one.

Thankfully, my husband just quit (3 weeks now), so I can't use him as an excuse anymore. I'm "sneaking" a smoke here and there on the way to work and way home from work. The kids think I quit..and I feel HORRIBLE about NOT quitting 100%. I've been praying for the desire to quit..because we all know you can't and won't quit until you are 100% ready and willing to. I'm going to check out that book by Carr. Thanks for the tip!

Have a healthy weekend everyone!
  • ConkreteChic
    Thanks for eveyone's input. I have tried to quit on and off for the past year. It hasn't fully happened yet. I'll go for 2 weeks, then break down and smoke for 3 weeks, then not smoke for a week, etc. My HUGE problem is..I enjoy smoking. I've been smoking for 4 years..so in my warped mind, I tell myself there's not that much damage yet. And I switched to 100% tobacco cigarettes last year, so I tell myself it's not a physical / nicotine addiction, but a mental one.

Thankfully, my husband just quit (3 weeks now), so I can't use him as an excuse anymore. I'm "sneaking" a smoke here and there on the way to work and way home from work. The kids think I quit..and I feel HORRIBLE about NOT quitting 100%. I've been praying for the desire to quit..because we all know you can't and won't quit until you are 100% ready and willing to. I'm going to check out that book by Carr. Thanks for the tip!

MJ, I have been in your shoes! I have quit on and off, and a couple of times I was hiding it from my husband and daugher and it really sucked. Not to mention the havoc it wreaked on my life because I was staying up after everyone went to bed so I could smoke and then shower so my hubby didn't smell it. argh. You HAVE to read Alan Carr's book. It's good stuff, but what it really does is just cues you in to the subconcious things you already know and brings them to light. There's no magic to it, but it feels like it! Feel free to friend me if you want some support in quitting!
  • CnocNaCu

My husband didn't smoke at all and I will never forget the bad feeling I constantly had : do I smell? Have I washed my hands and face? He doesn't want to kiss me...why? Not getting too close to people in a shop on an icy day in winter (ever had a ciggie outside the car in the winter time because your hubby doesn't smoke and you go in a shop and people turn round with a very disgusted face and you realize it's your nico-smell?) .
    I always said I'd enjoy smoking. I know exactly what you are talking about . Today I enjoy the freedom. I am overjoyed with happiness.
    Wishing all quitters and quitters-to-be a very Happy Christmas :flowerforyou:
  • mjbrowne

MJ, I have been in your shoes! I have quit on and off, and a couple of times I was hiding it from my husband and daugher and it really sucked. Not to mention the havoc it wreaked on my life because I was staying up after everyone went to bed so I could smoke and then shower so my hubby didn't smell it. argh. You HAVE to read Alan Carr's book. It's good stuff, but what it really does is just cues you in to the subconcious things you already know and brings them to light. There's no magic to it, but it feels like it! Feel free to friend me if you want some support in quitting!

**Ordered the book last week..I should have by end of this week, I hope. I've been trying to exercise more and smoke less..I think if I program my mind to exercise for stress release instead of smoke..it will make a world of difference. It feel SOOO good to know I'm not the only smoker who "enjoys" smoking..I feel so weird for that. Thanks everyone!!! :)-Melissa
  • Shishkeberry
    Shishkeberry Posts: 95 Member
    Reading the Law of Addiction at whyquit.com was probably the most important thing that has helped my quit. Understanding nicotine addiction and realizing that there is no "just one" cigarette, that it's all or none, gets me through the cravings. It totally gets easier. I'm having problems with eating too much, but saying no to cigarettes is almost a breeze now. I still have cravings sometimes and some of them are really hard still, but they're few and far between now. Also I can now smell other smokers. Knowing that I used to smell like that helps keep me away from the cigs. I don't want to smell like that anymore. I have been a nonsmoker now for 41 days.
  • mjbrowne
    I rcvd my book last week-Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking (new US Edition) I'm on Chapter 4 and am really excited to get through it. Unfortunately..the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is competing for my time..and it won out this weekend! I will say that Carr's book makes me EXCITED about kicking the habit for good..not dreadful or nervous or scared. I'd suggest it to recent non-smokers as well..it will reinforce your decision. As I said..I just started, so I'll let you know how it turns out. I did break down (after 2 days of NOT smoking) and buy a pack yesterday...Grrr...I MUST hurry through this book! :)

Have a great week everyone!
  • MissObstinatiox
    MissObstinatiox Posts: 275 Member
    Ive been going cold turkey for 7 days,i haven, t found quitting that hard but what i have found hard is trying to not eat instead of smoking!
    Im using a electric cigarette vapour thing and im finding this so helpful with bad cravings!
    On the upside i dont stink like a ashtray and i,m able to exercise loads more.
    I downloaded a app for my iphone smoquit and it tells you how long you havent been smoking and tells you when you achieve certain things such as normal oxygen level etc

Good luck with quitting :0)
  • mjbrowne
    UPDATE-Allen Carr is a genious! Finished the book Friday night and GLADLY smoked my last cigerette. Granted, it's only been 2 days..but I'm EXCITED about being a non-smoker and NEVER falling into the nicotine addiction trap again. Check out the book or watch the DVD or something..totally worth it!!
  • ConkreteChic
    UPDATE-Allen Carr is a genious! Finished the book Friday night and GLADLY smoked my last cigerette. Granted, it's only been 2 days..but I'm EXCITED about being a non-smoker and NEVER falling into the nicotine addiction trap again. Check out the book or watch the DVD or something..totally worth it!!

I'm SO excited for you!!! 2 days is a HUGE accomplishment!
  • Hfox3953
    Hfox3953 Posts: 21 Member
    I've only been smoking for about 2 years.

Today is the first day I am actually trying to go without a cigarette. I normally don't smoke more than about 4-5 per day anyway... So it's not like I have much room to cut back. I only smoked 2 yesterday.

I figured I'm barely smoking as it is, I might as well just stop completely.

I find it hardest when I'm in the car, and when I'm at work. If I'm at home... I have no problem. My partner smokes, and has been for years. Sometimes she gets in those "chain-smoking" moods and seems to always have a cigarette in her hand. I've never been that bad, but I definitely tend to smoke more often around her.

Anybody have any advice as to how long the cravings will last? I've heard MULTIPLE answers to this question. I know everyone is different... but how long until it gets easier?
  • CnocNaCu

This is really awesome! Welcome in the club of non-smokers and welcome in A Carr's fan club:happy:
    I'm 2 months quit now and have NOT smoked over 1000 cigarettes.
    If I can do it (smoked for 37 years) then you can do it, too.
    Woot wooooooooooooooooot, you go girl. Shake your booty instead of having a ciggie, that helps against weight gain :happy:
  • mjbrowne
    Thanks! I HAVE noticed how much more I'm cleaning and I"m cooking big well-rounded meals for my family like I had the energy to do 10 years ago!! I didnt realize how much smoking SUCKED the energy and life out of me!!! 5 days now..I know the physical addiciton is gone..it's all in my head from here on out! :) STill pretty dang easy!!

SIDE NOTE TO ANYONE TRYING TO STOP SMOKING-I smoked 100% tobacco cigarettes for the past year (American Spirits), which helped me to cut back to 1 pack per week (for past 6 months). ALso..there's only a SMALL amt of nicotine naturally in tobacoo..so I have never had real bad withdrawels or a physical need for smoking for the past 6-9 months. It was all a relaxation thing in my head. I STRONGLY recommend switching to all tobacco cigs first to cut out the nicotine.. against A Carr's book..but it helped me.. :)
  • mjbrowne
    Today is day 6 as a non-smoker! :) I DID have one VERY stressful day this week (Wed) that I caught myself grinding my teeth and admitted to myself that a cigarette might help. But..I just took deep breaths and got over it real quick. :) It might be wishful thinking..but I SWEAR my complexion is regaining some of its natural "glow". (It had started looking dull and grey). Have a healthy weekend everyone!
  • CnocNaCu
    You are doing a brilliant job, well done:flowerforyou:
    6 days is a great achievement and you can already call yourself a non-smoker. be proud of it!!!!!!!!
    Glad the book helped you. Once I understood where the craving is coming from it was so much easier.
    Very important was also to realize that the ciggie does NOT help to relax.
    I saw my doctor yesterday and my resting heart rate is down from 90 -95 to 60 -71. I am so much more relaxed, calmer than I've ever been. It was the smoking that made me feel under stress.
    Good luck to you and enjoy your new freedom:wink:
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member

I'll second this recommendation - I bought it last week after seeing a bunch of recommendations on another thread on MFP. I'm a diehard skeptic, and couldn't imagine that a book could really deserve all these rave reviews from people who truly quit after reading it, but I figured what the heck... so I read it last weekend, but waited until I got through a tough day on Monday and finished the pack I had on Tuesday, and just stopped... just like that. I don't know what it is about that book, but I just don't feel like smoking is an option anymore - it's really amazing. And I had smoked for over 30 years.

I just passed the 72 hour/3 day mark, and while I wouldn't call the first three days 'easy', I'm through them now and its getting easier - today I could actually focus on my work most of the day - I felt like I was in a fog the first 2 days, which was really tough, and yesterday was superemotional, which is definitely not normal for me, but now I'm actually beginning to feel normal. And I'm super excited about how my heart rate is lower now when I run and walk on the treadmill - I'm hoping I can break my best 5K time this year - clean lungs have to make me faster, right??
  • mommajdawg
    mommajdawg Posts: 57 Member
    I have been seeing a lot about his book I want to quit and I am trying to get hubby to join me I did't know you could get a DVD where did you see that at? Congrats on being a non smoker ! I need to by the DVD I think I could get my husband to watch that
    Thanks any info would be great