Newbie here

Options
Hi, I am so thankful that I found you guys. My name is Barbara, I am 46 and I am a compulsive overeater. I started going to OA in August and have been abstinent since Sept 17. I go to meetings on Monday, Thursday and sometimes on Saturday. I am still working on the coming out of my shell deal, so you guys are a God send.

Of course, I have dieted all my adult life and I have actually been successful sometimes, only to gain it back and then some. I really like the concept of OA and I think I have grown a whole lot since August.

I do have trouble with my food plan though. I am not sure what should or should not be on it. My sponsor has not had sugar in something like 17 years, I am not sure about that. I have cut down my sugar by at least 98% though.

Can someone please share their food plan, so I can get an idea if what I am doing is correct?

I just started the MFP today, so I am really new to it.

Thanks in advance for any and all advise. I hope we can become good friends.

I have to go to my meeting now.

Thanks again.
Barb

Replies

• _tracy_
    _tracy_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie too and would be glad to walk this journey with you. I think food plans have to be very individual based on your triggers, etc., but I can share some of the sites given to me to start figuring out the process. I'm sure it will go through many modifications along the way.

Glad to have you here!

ODAT!!!
  • forme2310
    forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Glad you both found us please feel free to share and post this group will be what we make it
  • GeorginaMcKee
    GeorginaMcKee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am new to oa and have only been to one meeting. I am still trying to figure out where i fit and what i need to help me on this journey. I am 30 and make my living as an actor. I struggle with under eating more than over eating, but my compulsion towards over eating when my hunger gets too much is a real struggle. I am searching for balance, kindness to myself and a way of living each day with food that feeds my body and my mind in a happy, healthy way. I don't know if oa is right for me but i strongly feel like having a support group of people who also struggle with their relationship to food is important. I will keep trying to find a meeting in my area that fits into my schedule, but in the mean time i will just keep checking back here to read encouraging words and ideas from others.

thank you for creating this group...

one day at a time in kindness.

-georgina
  • thagberg2011
    thagberg2011 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a newbie to this group also and I want to Thank you for having this group. I am going to my first OA meeting on Sunday and I am a little scared what to expect. I have been on many diets only to fail at them. In January of last year I went through surgery and got the Lap Band procedure done. I had alot of stress in 2011 and ended up gaining all the weight that I lost with it back. My weakness is baked goods. I have even hidden food from my family and also have ate in the car by myself so they would not know that I have slipped on my diet. I have recognized that I have a problem and that I need help. Can someone help me?
  • MsSueBee
    MsSueBee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

My name is Sue and I am a compulsive overeater. I have been attending OA since August 2009 and have been abstinent since Sept. 2009. This program has turned out to be the absolute best thing that I have ever done in my life. I am down 61 pounds so far and am getting healthier and happier.

@Barb -- I agree that food plans are an individual thing. Your sponsor should be able to guide you on that, and you might also want to pray for guidance. In my relatively short time with the program, though, I have seen that just about everyone has a problem with sugar.

@Thagberg -- been there, done that! You will find at OA that you are not alone! Congratulations on recognizing that you have a problem ... you are in good company! I have failed at about a zillion diets myself. With OA I am succeeding -- with the help of my sponsor and my HP.
  • bhvillegas
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I agree that after many many diets and I, too have a lap band, that OA is the only place for me to be.

Together we can accomplish anything we want.

Thanks again.
    Barb
  • KathMeistr
    KathMeistr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newcomers. You are not alone!

Feel free to friend me, I share my diary so others can benefit from my experience strength and hope.

Food plans are an individual issue and where we heve unity is in the common problem and in working the steps, not in the details of how we work the solution re: food.

The plan I follow (which looooong predates me using MFP as a tool) was set up for me by a nutritionist and is a very balanced 3 meals a day with no snacks (although I do have beverages between meals). You are welcome to view it to see what abstinence looks like for a 6+ year abstinent OAer who most days is almost entirely free from food and weight obsession.

With OA and my sponsor and my higher power's support, I have released about 70 pounds. My weight loss on MFP is since December 2011 and is mostly what my maintenance looks like.

I plan my food daily and commit it to my sponsor. I find that really essential for me to stay on track.

Together we can do what we could never do alone!
  • paulabsc
    paulabsc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am not new to myfitnesspal. i've been on her for months. Sorta lost my motivation. I went to my first OA meeting last week and I enjoyed it. I am going again today as well. I think I will try to make it every monday, and other days if I feel the need.

I am and Conpulsive Overeater. I eat when i'm upset, bored or just got too much on my mind. I learned a few years ago that as long as thing are going well in my life i am ok, but as soon as something disrupts it, i'm back to the same old habits. I'm tired of it!!

What groups on here do you recommend to join to help stay motivated?
  • thagberg2011
    thagberg2011 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @ pbrowder Welcome. I have gone to my second OA meeting and acturally brought a friend with me. I finally received my books in the mail today and am very excited to get home and start working on them. Feel free to add me as a friend for support :smile:
  • raisydaisy
    raisydaisy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Rae and I am a compulsive overeater.

I said that yesterday for the first time and I had no idea how hard it would or how good it would feel. I was really pleased today to find a group on MFP, thank you for setting it up!

I have struggled for the last 15 years with my weight and relationship to food. I've tried Mayo Clinic Diet, Weight Watchers, Atkins, pills (legal and not), exercise... I am sure you all know the routine. Anyway, nothing worked for long and here I am. I cannot continue the same way I have and the more I searched for a 'cure' the more I came across OA. I have been trying to work the first step on my own for about a week, as I am very wary of strangers and a very private person, but yesterday I finally took a breath and found some small amount of courage and found a meeting. I am very glad I did.

Today is my first day of abstinence.
  • scarlettsky7
    scarlettsky7 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    welcome! i am a newbie too. recently, i was really empty/"hungry" and made some food. as it was sitting there i felt the rush over my body - that high that food provides, and i felt full without even eating it - but just knowing i had the option to. i noticed how psychological the food dependency has become (and always was). unfortunately i gave in and ate it even though i could see the relationship right in front of my face. i addressed the question, "why do i overeat?" from a curious standpoint, instead of from the judgmental view i usually have. yesterday was the first day i didn't overeat in months. i felt light and healthy and guilt free. i wondered how to handle this lightness, as i desire to be filled with something. i decided to direct my addictive energies towards a healthier cause and create art to sell for charity. the time is now. and the only was to face this is by taking it one day at a time. we can do this!
  • scarlettsky7
    scarlettsky7 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    @ raisydaisy: congratulations!! it is so hard and even one day is a huge accomplishment :)
  • meri_dian
    meri_dian Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have found, for me, that the first thing that comes is the awareness. then I need the willingness to behave differently... once I have the willingness I need to take the action (with the tools of the program) to make things happen. great job on the awareness!
  • meri_dian
    meri_dian Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    welcome! i am a newbie too. recently, i was really empty/"hungry" and made some food. as it was sitting there i felt the rush over my body - that high that food provides, and i felt full without even eating it - but just knowing i had the option to. i noticed how psychological the food dependency has become (and always was). unfortunately i gave in and ate it even though i could see the relationship right in front of my face.

I have found, for me, that the first thing that comes is the awareness. then I need the willingness to behave differently... once I have the willingness I need to take the action (with the tools of the program) to make things happen. great job on the awareness!