What is a good time for a mile on the program?

Options
fatgottago
fatgottago Posts: 222 Member
Hello All,

I am going to start the program today when I get off work. My question is, what is a good time/pace to run a mile? I have googled it but no results.

Thanks.

Replies

• rheiah
    rheiah Posts: 84
    Options
    I do my runs at 5.2 mph, 3.8 mph for the walking intervals.

I have no idea if that's slow or normal but it's the speed I feel most comfortable at and actually enjoy running at.
  • AriadneSnow
    AriadneSnow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It depends on your fitness level - I think 5mph (a 12 minute mile) is a good pace for beginners. But whatever you feel comfortable at really.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about speed yet. I would run at a pace that is comfortable for you to accomplish the amount of running. When I finished the program I was at a 5.6mph, now working on getting more distance in. That's just the pace that is comfortable for me. I'm sure I wasn't going as fast when I first started out. Something that helped me was having my husband run with me. He's a good runner and runs fast, but kept me at a decent pace.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If you're on a treadmill, walk on it, and keep nudging up the speed until you can't walk any more. As soon as you start to jog/trot/run...that's a good pace to start.

I started at 5mph in December of last year. Anything lower than that, I could walk, and anything faster got me out of breath too quickly. After I had the endurance to go the distance, I worked on going faster.