Meeting Like Minded Singles

Options
124»

Replies

• PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I joined fitness singles only to find out that I would have to pay to even answer someone's email. I "unjoined", not because I won't pay, but because I feel like it was misleading. I didn't see anything that said it wasn't free before I signed up.
  • jessylanne
    jessylanne Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tried the online dating site... it seemed promising until I actually met someone in real life. Online connections are deceiving. You can have the greatest conversations, text for hours and when you meet there's no chemistry, either on one or both sides. Most of the people on those sites say they want to meet someone with similar values, interests etc, and build on a friendship, but I think that what they really want is instant chemistry. Thesse days I don't know how else to do it though. Bars suck. I work from home too so the interaction is really minimized right there.

As for divorced people getting together with other divorced people, I get the feeling that it's more difficult for a divorced to meet and start a relationship with someone who is not in the same boat. Who wants all that baggage from someone else? Am I wrong?

I had the same experience with online dating, I finally gave up... And I have no idea how to meet people. I moved to Calgary, AB five years ago, alone. I work from home (I live on a ranch, out of the city) and never got a chance to meet anyone. It's getting harder and harder to live alone without friends. When you don't go to bars, don't belong to a church and have no connection where do you start?
  • bouquet77
    bouquet77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just want someone who is not out just for FUN !!!! you would think that would be easy and im not sure if its just english men but they see a girl with a bit of meat and hey she must be well up for it well NO actually we are not all like that we are not objects or tools for your sexual pleasure we are humans with human needs and feelings !!!!! so thats it rant over !

However I would love to meet someone this year I am getting on a bit now and would love to start a family x x but we will see wont we?
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I know I will not meet anyone to my personal standards in this town, I've got to go to the city or something. Online dating...geesh! What a let down that is!
  • CarolAnn0730
    Options
    I've noticed in my area - which is like a suburb outside of St. Louis - it seems that if your divorced you get back out there and it's like high school all over again. Everyone knows everyone and suddenly a decent size metro area turns into a drama filled "high school" type situation.

So I find it hard to meet people too... :ohwell:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I've noticed in my area - which is like a suburb outside of St. Louis - it seems that if your divorced you get back out there and it's like high school all over again. Everyone knows everyone and suddenly a decent size metro area turns into a drama filled "high school" type situation.

So I find it hard to meet people too... :ohwell:

What I have seen as a never married person is that you are excluded to some extent from the scene of those previously married but divorced.
    I assume it is because they instantly have something in common so can commiserate.
    Also since most likely children are involved there may be sense of security with a person who has kids of their own.
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    Actually Carl, in my opinion, I would rather date someone that has never been married than someone divorced. Only for purely selfish reasons though
    if the guy has never been married, there is no ex-wife to deal with, and there's a good chance he doesn't have kids, which means no custody schedules to work around.

i said purely selfish reasons!
  • CarolAnn0730
    Options
    Actually Carl, in my opinion, I would rather date someone that has never been married than someone divorced. Only for purely selfish reasons though
    if the guy has never been married, there is no ex-wife to deal with, and there's a good chance he doesn't have kids, which means no custody schedules to work around.

i said purely selfish reasons!

PedMom - I can say I understand -- my ex had an ex and a daughter. I was only 21 when we married and I think I aged 30 years in the first 6 months of that marriage. NOT WORTH IT TO ME... If you can be selfish - I say GO FOR IT!

When I got divorced my dad said "I hope you're prepared to be alone - because a woman with 3 kids is a lot to expect anyone to take on." So I definitely keep that in mind - always. Even though any man would be blessed to get me and my kids - they are the best in the world... (OF COURSE) :wink:
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    @CarolAnn, that's the reason I put my personal life on hold for six years. I decided to wait until my kids were older before introducing a lot of people into their lives. It was a little lonely at times, but it was well worth the relationship that I had/have with my kids. :)
  • CarolAnn0730
    Options
    @CarolAnn, that's the reason I put my personal life on hold for six years. I decided to wait until my kids were older before introducing a lot of people into their lives. It was a little lonely at times, but it was well worth the relationship that I had/have with my kids. :)

I agree - even though I dated someone for almost 3 years - I kept that separate. I don't want men in and out of their life... Kids are ALWAYS first! My youngest is now 10 - my oldest graduates from high school this year and my middle is 13 - so a few more years and it'll be about ME ;-)
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

I agree - even though I dated someone for almost 3 years - I kept that separate. I don't want men in and out of their life... Kids are ALWAYS first! My youngest is now 10 - my oldest graduates from high school this year and my middle is 13 - so a few more years and it'll be about ME ;-)

This is totally my attitude too. I wish my ex thought the same. 4 months into our separation, and he's already introduced my two young boys to his new "girlfriend", had them spend the night there now twice and is talking about moving in with her. WTF?! It is so obvious he is putting his needs before there's. I feel so bad for them. Or I will when this new girl finds out what a douche my ex is and kicks him out on his lying *kitten*.