Is this peri-menopause?

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
Hi

I am 42 and since beginning of last year my periods have been getting lighter even before I started my diet.

They were fine and regular but just lighter up to last november, then December I was a week late and got 2 weeks of cravings with water on, off..on again just before starting a week late.

This month they came a week late again then 2 days after ending..they started again tonight, I got the cramps but water weight hasn't gone back on.

I'm not sure if its the diet and exercising or cos my body is preparing for the menopause?

I just wondered if anyone else was coping with erratic periods as its hard to lose when you got bloat on and off for 2 weeks of each month and cravings! ..is there anything that would help with the cravings?

Thanks

Replies

• kunmingmom
    kunmingmom Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am 47, almost 48 and am having the same irregular periods. I just saw my gynecologist yesterday and she said that these irregular periods are a sure sign I am in perimenopause. Sounds like you might be entering into perimenopause too.
  • sweatymary
    Options
    Yes your symptoms would suggest that you are entering peri-menopause x
  • grumpy2day
    Options
    Hi. I've been averaging a period about every 3 months, had night sweats most of last year but other than that not too bad so far. I have noticed a loss of muscle tone and the start of weight gain so hence, here I am. Figure the sooner I start exercising and watching what I eat the easier it will be.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    oh god I've had the night sweats too I couldn't understand those!.. I'd wake up thinking I'd left the electric blanket on cos I would be sweating and it wasn't on and actually quite cold when I got out of bed, (usually to go to loo),, if dog has sneaked on to bed I'd wonder if she had wet on it so I'd move her to check and no .. there was no wet patches.. lol! .. now I know what they are!

oh well.at least I know what it is!.. I need something for the cravings I tried puriance for women but you got to remember to take them 3 times day before each meal and I haven't remembered for every meal once yet! Its meant to contain things that help with estrogen and cortisol levels.

I'm also have difficulty getting to sleep.. is insomnia part of the menopause?
  • lrk93101
    lrk93101 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm only 43, so I felt really dumb when I realized my husband was right, and I was starting menopause. I still haven't reached my goal weight, and I feel like I am STARVING all of the time now. Has anyone found any tricks, or anything helpful at all? I'm terrified of becoming huge! Thanks
  • grumpy2day
    Options
    Eat mini meals every few hours and keep fruit and low fat cheese or nuts handy, this way you never feel empty. And yes insomnia was a problem for me too. I switched to herbal tea in late afternoon and started to meditate for 20 mins in the evening it seems to be helping.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    oh god I've had the night sweats too I couldn't understand those!.. I'd wake up thinking I'd left the electric blanket on cos I would be sweating and it wasn't on and actually quite cold when I got out of bed, (usually to go to loo),, if dog has sneaked on to bed I'd wonder if she had wet on it so I'd move her to check and no .. there was no wet patches.. lol! .. now I know what they are!

oh well.at least I know what it is!.. I need something for the cravings I tried puriance for women but you got to remember to take them 3 times day before each meal and I haven't remembered for every meal once yet! Its meant to contain things that help with estrogen and cortisol levels.

I'm also have difficulty getting to sleep.. is insomnia part of the menopause?
    Yes, insomnia is a huge part of menopause for a lot of women!! I can get to sleep, I just can't stay asleep!! Grrrr..........
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I started this year by having a ten day period. Just finished and three days later started again for another 7 days. *sigh*

If I don't take agnus castus every day I can set the bed on fire I get that hot!! I've been having hot flushes since I was 35 (now nearly 45).

Oh the joy!

Unfortunately my mum is 77 and still suffers from hot flushes so I have a long time to get used to them :happy:

I haven't lost any weight in the last two weeks, but hey, I haven't put any on so it isn't all that bad :laugh:

I have serious chocolate cravings so I eat alpro soya desserts to reduce them. Protein in snacks really helps to stop food cravings as your brain gets the full message.

Sometimes I give in for one day a week and just eat chocolate (all recorded of course). One day of high calories (within reason) every now and then can help to jolt the body into losing more (it never knows what is coming next).