favorite way to build delts?

Options
Hi everyone! :happy: Sooo as I'm prepping to enter on-season training for my next figure competition season, I find that I'm still struggling with building my deltoids (aka shoulders), particularly the lateral head. I'm slowly seeing results, but it takes me awhile to put on muscle, sigh! Just curious, what are your favorite routines (exercises/sets/reps) to build your shoulders? I'm trying to get a nice mushroom cap, but my shoulders are very stubborn! :tongue: Thanks in advance for sharing!

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'm not a competitor but simple standing overhead press with barbell is my go to.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am "blessed" (depending on who you ask, that my shoulders beome defined rather quickly. But I do front DB raises, lateral DB raises, military press, arnols, OH press with leg push though and simple OH DB presses... what are you currently doing?

-M
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    @chrisdavey- Thanks! I only mentioned I'm a competitor to explain that I'm aiming for delts that are perhaps more built/defined than some other women might want. I need to go that extra mile...just need to find the best way to get there! :smile:

@ margieward82- in my opinion, you ARE blessed, hehe I'm jealous of gals like you! :wink: I lift shoulders twice a week, one session heavier and the other lighter. I just started a new 4-week periodization and am doing 4x10-12 Military Bb/Db Presses, Upright Rows, Lat Raises, Bentover Rear Delt Raises, and Front raises (I'm going to vary cables/Db/Bb/plates :)) On my lighter day I warm up with Clean'n'Press and do 3x15 Shoulder Press, Lat raise, Cable Rope Front Raises, Rope Rear Delt Pulls. I just came off a 4-week periodization with reps as low as 6-8 and no higher than 12. I can lift pretty heavy, it just takes a loooong time for me to put on muscle. :grumble: I think I need to play around with super-sets or tri-sets to shock my muscles a bit...

Anyone have routine ideas? :flowerforyou: I'm always up for something new!
  • karnold14
    Options
    I like Seated Rear Delt Raises :) Best of luck!