Week 6

Options

Replies

• jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Well, I finally, finally got Week 5 done. I had to take a few weeks off to nurse a sprained ankle, but I killed W5 today. Here comes W6. Yay!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Well, I *think* I completed W6D3... I ran (what was *supposed* to be) a 5K tonight and since my C25K session was supposed to be one 25 minute run, I decided to basically go for broke and run the whole thing if I could. I ran for the first 90 seconds, but then there was a substantial hill, and because I didn't warm up properly (I just could not start a race walking...), I let my breathing get out of control. So, I walked the next 90 seconds to 2 minutes (basically to the top of the hill) and then ran for the remaining time minus a 10 second stop to tie my shoe (extremely frustrating!!!).

I say the run was *supposed* to be a 5K, because it totally wasn't... I finished the race in 28 minutes and 32 seconds and knew there was no way in Hades I ran 3.2 miles in that short of a span of time, so I drove the course and clocked 2.8 miles. Then, when I got home, I used Google maps, which agreed - the course was only 2.8 miles.

I was a little disappointed that the course was so short, but I am ecstatically happy with my pace!! My first 5K was just under 40 minutes, which works out to 4.8 mph, and this time it was 6.0 mph. Considering I am only just completing the 6th week of the program, that's not too shabby!

Also, I say I *think* I completed W6D3 because with my shoe tying break, I didn't technically run the 22 minutes straight. It was a
    90 second run, 2 minute walk, 12 minute run, 10 second stop, 13 minute run... I don't think I am going to stress about it too much anyway since W7D1 is not really that huge of a jump...
  • alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just finished wk6, day 2---I didn't think I would finish...why was this one harder than the wk 5 20 minute run? OMG, the last few minutes, it was all mental-telling myself not to stop. Now on Friday, I will have do to the 22 minute run...Yikes!!
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I finally got back on this horse today. I finished week 6 day 1 today. Felt really good about it after not running for nearly a month. I was surprised at how my body was able to jump right back in. Hopefully I won't have to take another hiatus anytime soon again.
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I just finished wk6, day 2---I didn't think I would finish...why was this one harder than the wk 5 20 minute run? OMG, the last few minutes, it was all mental-telling myself not to stop. Now on Friday, I will have do to the 22 minute run...Yikes!!

I have finished the C25K now but i remember this is exactly how i felt, dont worry jus push yourself and remember you can do it! xxxx
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options

I have finished the C25K now but i remember this is exactly how i felt, dont worry jus push yourself and remember you can do it! xxxx

I agree! I hope you pushed through!
  • elf618
    elf618 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    glad to hear i wasn't the only one who thought week 6 d 2 was hard. I am behind where i want to be and have run 1/2 marathons but hadn't really run in about a year so i decided to do d1 and d2 right after each other. thought that was why i was struggling with teh last 10 min but maybe not. Justrying to get enough stamina back to walk significantly less than i run for a 1/2 marathon in mid february.
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Week 6 Day 2 is coming up for me and is my 20 minute run. Im nervous....
  • AnnaE
    AnnaE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well, I fell off the C25K juggernaught over the XMas break and it's taken me till now to get back to week 6..
    Did week 6 day 1 yesterday. PHEW. Somehow felt tougher than week 5 day 3!
    We have a solid week of very hot weathe rforecast so treadmill all week for me...
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    Well, I fell off the C25K juggernaught over the XMas break and it's taken me till now to get back to week 6..
    Did week 6 day 1 yesterday. PHEW. Somehow felt tougher than week 5 day 3!
    We have a solid week of very hot weathe rforecast so treadmill all week for me...
    I definitely thought W6D1 was harder than W5D3! I also cramped up for the first time running today. I kept going and stretched after, but I have a feeling it's going to be sore for a few days.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Did Week 6 D1 yesterday. Ran too fast in the first running segment because I was COLD (should have worn a hoodie and may be gloves!), but got my pace down in the 8 minutes segment and it was alot easier.
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Did Week 6 Day 1 yesterday to burn off some extra calories before some Superbowl snacking indulgence. When i was finished, I felt like I could so more, which is a good sign!

Going to try and do Week 6 Day 2 tomorrow.
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 6 Day 3 tomorrow. I'm so excited for my runs to be all running from here on out! I find that having to stop to walk is kind of disruptive, and now that I've switched to running outside I much prefer just running and not having to focus on the clock at all to check interval times!
  • natalie412
    Options
    Did Week 6 day 2 today - decided to only walk 1 minute in the middle and made the 2nd segment 12 min. And, I got my fastest pace - 10:39/mile (a 30 second improvement). I didn't think I would be able to increase pace as I increase the amount of running, but so far I have. Maybe I WILL really be running a 5K by week 9!
  • natalie412
    Options
    Did day 3 today. I ended up walking for a minute or two around 15 min, and then about 30 seconds near the end. My lungs were just burning, and my pace was down a little. (11 min miles) It is colder today (36 F), so maybe that is part of it. Good thing next week is all 25 minutes, too.
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    So last week on Tuesday, I was going to do Week 6 Day 2, and I am using the Ease Into 5K app, which means that was the 20 minute run. I was going to get up early and go to the gym in the morning. However, my husband needed the car so I tried to do it running around my neighborhood because it wasn't too cold. I really concentrated on running SLOWLY but I couldn't make it past 13 minutes of running, which I think was still pretty good.

Then Thursday I tried again. I was on a business trip in an unfamiliar hotel gym. But I accidentally started week 6 day 3. Then the treadmill kept starting and stopping and changing my speed without me making an adjustment - so I did the best I could.

Saturday I finally finished week 6 day 2! And today, I did week 6 day 3. It was REALLY difficult. The last 8 minutes were killing me, but I just tried to focus on my music and told myself how great it would feel to be done and how much I didn't want to have to go back and repeat this workout. I am very tired now and I think I overexerted myself a little bit because I had a bit of a stomachache when I was done. However, I'm doing cross training tomorrow and probably won't be able to work out again until Friday. So I am not too worried about injury.

Keep going Paeli and Vereushka! It's totally worth it. I will see you in the Week 7 thread!
  • hlsc
    hlsc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Did W6D1 today! There was a big ROTC group running past me near the end, so I mis-heard the last cue and stopped jogging (it was the D2 cool-down, not D1's). I realized a minute later when the podcast told the D1 folks that it was time for their cool-down - Opps! So, I ran for another minute and then did the cool down. I really can't believe I'm in Week 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • hlsc
    hlsc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    W6D2 done! The first 10 was tough, but I kept on plodding and puffing through :happy:

Not sure if I'm mentally ready for a 25-minute run, but I'll try it this weekend.
  • chiltonenator
    chiltonenator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Finished W6D1 today. Had doubts about the 20 minute run last week, but it wasn't too bad at all. Looking forward to D3 this week!
  • shopewell70
    shopewell70 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Finished W6D1 today and couldnt believe how good I felt. I just knew going into it that it was going to be hard. Seeing how last week started with a 5 minute run and now this week started with a 10 minute. But it was unbelieveable how I made it through. So for those out there that think you can never be a runner, I say yes you can. I went from smoking a pack and a half for the last 20 years, to quitting smoking on Oct 25th and started the C25K in January. If someone would have told me I would be running for 10 minutes straight or heck even 3 minutes I would have laughed at them. But the C25K has made a believer out of me. Lastly, but not least, thanks to all you that post your thoughts and experiences. It really helps those of us that havent made it there or enlightens us to what others have experienced...:)