I DON'T WANT SKINNY...I WANT FIT!

Options
CoopsQueen
CoopsQueen Posts: 12 Member
I have heard and read time and time again, MUSCLE BURNS FAT! I was previously on Weight Watchers and dropped about 25 lbs and now I am looking to really get my body in shape and still continue to drop the pounds to reach goal. I do workout doing circuit videos at home using some free weights with it, I run, and add in some intense yoga once or twice a week, however, since I want to start building some serious muscle, I have purchased a cross fit video series to help and have moved up to a heavier weights. I am really enjoying this much more intense workout, but I am really wanting to work toward getting faster results with this 12 week workout plan.

Now, when I am on program I do like to eat a much more balanced diet, where I always see the best and most steady loss, but I have read and been told I should amp up the protein, natural or supplemental, to build more muscle. I would like to up the protein in food, however, I don't always have the time, so what supplements could I encorporate as snacks or meals in my daily diet? What should I look for in a protein supplement? How much of the protein supplement should I be adding to my balaced diet?

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,984 Member
    Options
    I sure don't have all the answers to your questions. If you type "protein" into the search function on the "community" tab, you'll find lots and lots of information on shakes, bars, supplements, etc.

It is important to up your protein when you are building muscle. It is important to have enough carbs for energy, for your weight-training. And, healthy fats are important for your brain function. I'm doing a 40/30/30 - which I'm finding is working quite fine.

Good luck!
  • CoopsQueen
    Options
    I have been checking out all the other posts in the community and found some really good info on the supplements. Thanks for the other info, it helps to get some advice and gain some knowledge on the subject. Thanks a lot ;)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Strong is the "new" skinny, Coops....welcome to the fold!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    for protein go for eggs (boiled egg with salad cream, great snack!!), cottage cheese or a tin of tuna.

my macros are set at 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat. i rarely hit my protein goal but i keep trying!!
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    My favorite new high protein snack is greek yogurt mixed with peanut butter and a packet of stevia in the raw (to sweeten it up a bit). It's super quick and delicious!

To build muscle you should have a gram of protein per pound of body weight (or your goal weight).

I have made a chocolate whey protein and PB smoothie that was pretty good, plus eggs and nuts have plenty of protein.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    That sounds pretty yummy. I know that I need to get into the greek yogurt/cottage cheese thing....but that would only work on the weekends when I'm near my fridge!! (Won't work all week when I'm at work and the fridge is already stuffed full of staff's DIY lunches)

The thought of re-introducing peanut butter into my diet (after being low GI for 4 years) actually THRILLs me, though....

And, I'm going to buy some chocolate whey powder. Right now I have strawberry/banana (which is okay) and vanilla cream (which I hate).
  • CoopsQueen
    Options
    I love eggs!! Great idea with the yogurt and peanut butter ;-P I would like to try the smoothie too. I'm so glad to be getting such great feed back and advise. Thank you all ;)
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    My favorite new high protein snack is greek yogurt mixed with peanut butter and a packet of stevia in the raw (to sweeten it up a bit). It's super quick and delicious!

To build muscle you should have a gram of protein per pound of body weight (or your goal weight).

I have made a chocolate whey protein and PB smoothie that was pretty good, plus eggs and nuts have plenty of protein.

I'm going to try that. I need some more high protein snack ideas. So far I am not loving greek yogurt unless it's flavored (then it has tons of carbs from the sugar). I love peanut butter, though.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

i have greek yogurt zero fat, with fruit and some sweetner as well sometimes i will add some cereal for the crunch....its very yummy and filling lunch
  • missdelarocha
    missdelarocha Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Whey protein concentrate is probably best to start off with, or isolate though it's a bit more expensive.

Have also read the 1g of protein per pound of body weight but I have also read 1g per pound of lean muscle mass, so the weight of everything except for the fat (that would require knowing your body fat percentage), you might have to do a bit of Googlin'.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options