Welcome RN's! Introduce yourselves!

Options

Replies

• JoyAmy
    JoyAmy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Joy.
    I have been nursing for 26 years mainly in cardiac related areas. I want to lose 1 1/2 stone. I need to stick to an exercise routine. My diet isn't too bad and I know what I need to do in that area! I have recently lost my dog and so am not out on long walks as I used to be. It's hard to go walking in the dark when it's raining if you don't have to any more! Would love to get another dog, but feel that my present hours are not dog friendly. Roll on the lighter nights. Need to find an exercise that burns lots of calories in the shortest time!!!!! Any ideas?
  • Cathy_ann913
    Cathy_ann913 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Cathy and I've been a nurse for 22 years. I no longer do patient care. I work in an office setting. I've gained at least 20 pounds since starting here 7 years ago. I've lost that 20 lbs twice and now want to lose it again and an additional 40 lbs. I think I can do it with the support of my friends and maybe this blog. Wish me luck! I'll be believing for you too!
  • diloed
    diloed Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Diane. I've been an RN for 17 years in just about every department but mostly ER and cardiac. Was a travel nurse for most of those years. I've been off work since June with a messed up back, so no more direct patient care for me. Currently waiting for my employer to find me a non physical job....hopefully soon before I lose my mind.
  • klfin
    klfin Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi I'm Kendell, Ive been working 2yrs and I work in the community rather than the acute environment. The hardest thing about my weight loss is I spend a lot of time by myself in a clinic and travel alot so it's easy to fall off the wagon. Do any of you nurse have any suggestions to get though the day? I tend to snack all day and don't have time for proper breaks. I need some help.
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've met my goal weight of 198 lbs, and actually went on to 195 lbs. I feel great. All my hard work and
    determination has paid off.
  • Cathy_ann913
    Cathy_ann913 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I took NCLEX a gazillion years ago, but I took a class that prepped you for the exam and I had many study guides/test questions. I think the class was the most helpful, it was a 5 day course.
  • psychRN83
    psychRN83 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have been a nurse for five years and have worked full time on a dual diagnosis psychiatric unit all five of those years!!! I work Friday, Sat, Sun 12 hour shifts overnights which has allowed me to continue my schooling. I have been a LPN since 2007 and a RN since May 2011. I recently got my BSN in December 2011 ....eight months after my associates. I start towards my MSN and mental health nurse practitioner this June so I have six months to really concentrate on getting healthier and losing weight before I start school again. After having a kid and going through the stress of three rounds of nursing school with my LPN, RN, and RN-BSN I gained over 100 pounds in 6 years!! I am not planning on continuing that trend:-)
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been an RN for over 16 years. I am currently masters-prepared and teach an accelerated BSN program. My primary nursing interest is primary care - pediatrics but I've been involved in family medicine, medical research, pharmaceutical research, home health....

Lost 35 of the 70 I need to lose last year. Kept it off and now am working to take the other 35 off. My hubby and I have changed changed our diets - eating healthier - and adding exercise. We workout in a gym - he does mainly pool and weights - I do Zumba and weights. Plus we do stuff at home too!

Good luck to all!
  • shandylynn
    Options
    I'm excited to find this group! It's nice to see so many nurses on MFP. I've been an RN for 14 (really?!?!) years. I've done a little bit of nursing home (including MDS and care plans), family practice physician's office, and skilled nursing unit, but the majority of my time has been on a Women's Health unit where we do labor, delivery, postpartum, level I nursery, GYN surgical and clean female medical patients.

I'm currently in graduate school getting my Master's in Nursing for Midwifery.

I've been on MFP for a few months now but mostly just kept to myself and logged food. I've just recently begun to explore the message boards and groups.

I had gastric bypass surgery 10-25-11 and have lost 50 pounds. I'm married and have a 15-year-old son and we are in the process of adopting a 10-year-old boy.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!

I'm Jessica and I am a new graduate nurse (as in I haven't even written my licensing exam yet!). I graduated in December and had the most awesome luck finding a job at a world renowned children's hospital about an hour away from my hometown. I start February 6th and I couldn't be more excited!

I am a little under half way through this weightloss journey, I am 5'7" and 155lbs at the moment, aiming for 140/size 6 (having started at 167). I am also engaged to be married so I'd very much like to hit my goal before the wedding in a little over a year. Can't wait to get to know everyone!
  • shandylynn
    Options
    Jessica good luck on your upcoming entrance into the grand world of being an RN!! Definitely continue your education in one form or another all the time. Be a sponge!
  • DEgal99
    DEgal99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm a relative newbie to the nursing world with 6 months under my belt. I'm currently in an adult med/surg unit, but I trying to work my way into peds or community health. My ultimate goal is NP, but there's too much to figure out what I want to do before I go back to school.

I lost about 15 lbs on this site a few months back, before I started working. But then when I got my job I fell off the wagon with trying to regulate my life, so I'm back again with about 30 or so more pounds to lose!
  • joni199rn
    Options
    HELLO, MY NAME IS JONI AND I AM AN RN ON A CARDIOVASCULAR STEPDOWN UNIT IN CINCINNATI OHIO. I HAVE BEEN A NURSE FOR 11YRS NOW AND I LOVE MY PROFESSION!! SOMETIMES I DONT LIKE MY JOB, BUT I LOVE CARING FOR PEOPLE AND HELPING THEM GET BACK TO THEIR BASELINE FUNCTIONING LEVEL OR BETTER. I WORK 12HR NIGHTS 7P-7A, WEEKEND OPTION. I HAVE TRIED JUST ABOUT EVRYTHING UNDER THE SUN!!! I LOVE THIS SITE!!!
    I AM HOPING TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS AND FITNESS BUDDIES ON THIS BOARD!!
  • Kare_Bear2000
    Options
    Hello! My name is Kara and I have been a nurse for 10 years. I started out in subacute skilled and then went to hospice. I'm now the nursing coordinator of a 50 bed assisted living. I love being a nurse! I don't love the difficulty that comes with eating healthy while working as a nurse. I just started my weight loss journey 2 weeks ago. I hope drop 80 pounds. The support of other nurses will make a difference, I am sure!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Bella. Ive been a nurse for almost 2 years. I work in a large hospital in Oregon. Sine joining this site I have lost 13 lbs. Trying to lose 50 short term. I will reevaluate if i would like to lose more once i get to that point!
  • crausinrn
    Options
    Hello my name is Casey I've been an RN for almost 4 years. I started out in Med-surg then to CCU/ER float nurse. Worked PRN for a health dept. and a home health and Nursing Home. I am currently a case manager at a private nursing home. I LOVE my job but I spend alot of time at my desk on a computer. I lost weight just by coming to dayshift and then hit a stopping point. I started advocare this past Monday and have already lost 8 pounds and I freel great. I LOVE MFP it helps me be accountable for what I eat and stay organized. I recently lost 30 pounds and would like to lose about 40 more. let's see how it goes!
  • crausinrn
    Options
    @ Jessica- Have you tried Zumba or Jillian's 30 day shred???
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    @ Jessica- Have you tried Zumba or Jillian's 30 day shred???

I used to do Zumba regularly at my old gym but after I cancelled that membership when I went back to school, I haven't been since. I really miss it because it's soooo much fun! I have dance training from when I was much younger so I've found that it is easy for me to pick up the choreography and get in a really intense workout.

I tried 30DS for a week or so this past summer but at that point I was still labouring under the misconception I actually had to do it every day (three days in and I couldn't walk). I still have the DVDs but my parents just renovated the basement and now I have no workout space any more.
  • crausinrn
    Options
    @Jessica: I love Zumba. go to getwithit.org or com I can't remember and see of they offer classes in your area!
  • rn2011sa
    Options
    HI everyone! My name is Samantha and i am a fairly new nurse. I worked as a Correctional LPN and I loved it. I am a mom of three children.. Other than that there is not much to really say. :)