What do you like in a yoga class?

Options
yoginimary
yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
As a teacher, I would like to know what you like in a yoga class? Do you want to work hard? a long savasana? More stretching or more strength work? Do you want to learn something new? etc.

What do you want from your teacher? Do you want someone doing the poses? Watching the class? Correcting your form? Are you embarrassed by individual attention? etc.

I will find any information helpful. Other stuff like how you pick out a class/teacher/studio. How you started in yoga etc.

Thanks,
Mary

Replies

• nikirtehsuxlol
    nikirtehsuxlol Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of beginner and gym classes seem to really like pigeon and triangle.

And, from pigeon, I like to ask them to push back into down dog to 3 legged dog to stack their hips and bring that knee to the sky and foot behind them to "flipping their dog" where they can go into wild thing or the more experienced people can get into wheel. To come out of it, lead with their shoulders back into a 3 legged down dog.

When I teach it, I demonstrate it first (and some ppl are like "omg no i cant do that") and then I talk them into it and there seems to be a huge sense of accomplishment with some people. And most people like it bc its just fun!
  • dakmom
    dakmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I take classes from a studio that is very energetic and from another studio that is very serene. I personally prefer the more energetic classes, and seems to focus more when the teacher is actually performing the poses with the class. The instructor at the studio that is a bit more low key walks around the class and observes while making small adjustments here and there to the students. I feel like I'm being judged when that happens and feel particularly uncomfortable. I prefer the intensity of the energetic studio and like to sweat and attempt poses that require strength, as well as balance. But, I have a friend who prefers to "chill" at a yoga class after a long day at work. So, personally speaking, I prefer to work harder, have less of a savasana, incorporate both stretching and strength work while learning new things, and having the teacher participate rather than observe. There have been instances where teacher trainees walk around the class adjusting the students, which is really nice too. I hope this helps!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day. Sometimes power yoga is just the ticket, sometimes I would rather just stretch and relax.

My body prefers a lot of stretching work around the hips, thighs and lower back - I think a lot of people get very tight there. So I love forward bends and pidgeon pose.

I have days that I can do downward dog well, and bad downward dog days - as my shoulders don't bear weight well and my hamstrings and lower back are tight, this is by far the strongest yoga pose for me. About half the time, I need a class that's light on the downward dog.

If it is the right day, I love the strengthening aspects of yoga - I love feeling powerful. Also, whenever I master a balance posture I feel so gosh darn clever, in a way I don't feel when I have mastered other poses.
  • jlira01
    jlira01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've only taken 2 group classes..but here's what I appreciate:

- balance of doing the poses (look at good form), and providing input on stance correction and/or encouraging you extend a little more or hold.
    - positive feedback on the pose when your doing it correctly or improving.
    - Providing options if the pose is challenging.
    - personal attention. Not sure if this is typical in other studios..but at the end or during rest periods..the instructor will touch points on my back and/or touch my arms or neck with a lavendar fragrance. kinda cool and helpful for relax/meditation.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I like my teacher to do everything! That is demonstrate and keep a watchful eye on us. I appreciate being corrected or pushed a little further.

An ideal class pushes you a little further each time, or teaches you something new so you keep progressing, slowly but surely.

I prefer a mixture of strength and flexibility work.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I choose my classes/teachers to suit my needs for the day. I generally do like being challenged so I tend to go to classes that are more dynamic, interactive and intense. But if I need to decompress, I choose a gentler class where I can just concentrate in my own thoughts and be quiet.

That being said, I like:
    -teachers that move around the class, giving advice, demos, adjustments and challenges as necessary. (I don't like teachers who sit in front of the class and simply give directions, without interaction.)
    -being offered options for each pose. whether you want to take it up a notch or not, or two notches!
    -teachers who mix-it up a lot. who tries new things and shows us things that are different than the usual stuff (same old routines each week can get boring.)
    -getting help with alignment.
    -to be given detailed, helpful and encouraging instructions and feedback.
    -a mix of strength and stretching, for an overall workout.
    -getting help after class for specific issues. So grateful for teachers who do this!

And lastly, it's a big plus (although not necessary) if teachers have a sense of humour, are fun and have great music during class!

Our preferences are so personal but I think if one has positive energy and is friendly, and truly love your practice, the students tend to respond well. I'm lucky that I found a studio that I really love. :smile:

As a teacher, is there something that you'd wish from your students in particular?
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    i love my teacher! she massages me when i'm in shavasana :D
    she makes us green tea also ;)
    i like the feeling when i'm done with class... that happy feeling yoga gives you
    BUT i get pretty bored when i do same thing all over again, so i like some change, new poses...
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm curious what people are looking for and find your responses interesting.

As a teacher, is there something that you'd wish from your students in particular?

HA! Showing up?

Ideally: being on time, not leaving early (though neither of these bother me unless it's habitual), turning your phone off - or better yet, leaving it in the car, not leaving during savasana, telling me if there is a new injury, using props when asked to.

Watching any demo & listening to what the teacher says are usually markers of a good student as well.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    sounds like very basic etiquette to me:flowerforyou: other students appreciate it too:)
  • iamvillanueva
    Options
    I don't feel that my practice was complete without inversions & arm balances. For some reason they don't do these very often at my gym. I've never taken a class that didn't include balancing of some sort, but I particularly like to practice the arm balances. I switched gyms last summer and the only thing I miss from my previous gym is the yoga teacher. I do like it when the instructor corrects my form. I can't see what I'm doing, so I don't know when I'm doing it wrong. One instructor rubbed our feet with lotion during savasana which was awesome, but I don't blame any instructor for not doing that!