Slytherin Common Room

Options

Replies

• SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the great loss this week, Poorcopies!

Thanks for the clarification on NEWTS/OWLS. I'm gonna do it this week! Starting with...

Food goal this week: Lower my sodium intake! (Try to stay as close to 500 per meal as possible.)

I have this practically every morning, but in case you're interested:

Tofu scramble with facon, mushrooms and peppers
    1/4 package of firm tofu
    3 slices of vegan bacon
    1/8 cup of diced onion (about)
    1/4 package of baby portabella mushrooms
    1/2 yellow bell pepper
    1 tsp. smoked cumin
    1/2 tbsp. Extra Light Olive Oil

I just basically pan-fry/sautee everything in separate pans and then mix it together. Tofu (let it start to brown and add spices, then add diced pepper), Mushrooms+onions, facon. It's a yummy scramble with the following stats:
    245 cals, 12 carbs, 14 fat, 17 protein, 422 sodium, 1 sugar

I switch up the veggies and add avocado on mornings with I'm feeling more hungry. I also usually only do two pieces of facon. Today we just finished off the pack. Anyway, it's delish, low-cal, low-sodium, quick, and filling.
  • SammieGetsFit
    Options
    Just noticed that we're going to be the last house to have to roll over to a second thread. We're small and not chatty. We should do something about that. Look, I'm doing my part. :)
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Challenges:

NEWTs: Post 4 times this week about a meal or day of meals you felt successfully met your nutritional goals, whatever that may be. Feel free to post recipes! also you can post all 4 on one day or you can post each one as they happen.

1 NEWT for 1 times
    2 NEWTS for 2 times
    4 NEWTS for 3 times
    7 NEWTS for 4 times

OWLs: Another suggestion from Chaos, slightly modified by me since I know that some people are just gtting started with exercising.

Pick 2 per day:
    30 sit ups or crunches or reverse crunches or any other ab exercise you would like. If you are going to do really basic plain crunches those are easy so shoot for 50. I will link a bunch of variations that I really like later today if you want to try something new, work some different muscle groups, etc.

30 squats -- side squats, sumo squats, whatever. drop that butt down and pick it back up for you. If body weight squats are easy pick up some dumbbells and hold them while you squat. Remember to keep your weight mostly over your heels - NOT on your toes or the balls of your feet. My boyfriend thinks this looks like someone squatting down to go to the bathroom and thinks it is hilarious but if your knees are pushing out over your toes you're doing it wrong and could injure yourself.

20 pushups -- use your knees if you have to. do wall pushups if you have to. Alternately try putting your hands on an elevated platform like a step (so you are at an angle but not vertical or on your knees)

These are pretty light goals you should be able to add to any exercise routine - if you do more come and tell us about it!

Sorry for the confusion everyone! These are for this week!

Thanks for the goals! I will be back into this starting this week :)
  • poorcopies
    poorcopies Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification! We definitely need to be more chatty!

I will get busy with selecting my very best recipes later, at work atm.
  • SammieGetsFit
    Options
    Morning, everyone,

Not a recipe of my own, but this morning I tried Amy's Tofu Scramble in a Pocket Sandwich. It was awesome. http://www.amys.com/buy/store-locator

It was super-filling, and the stats look pretty good: 180 cal, 23 carbs, 6 fat, 11 protein, 480 sodium, 2 sugars

Just thought I'd share. :drinker:
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Hello and happy Tuesday fellow Slytherins!

I just wanted to let you all know of our numbers for the month so far! I think we've all been doing great!
    The House Points are the average of our minutes exercised each week and the % lost is the % lost by everyone during the week.

Week 1 (Jan. 6-9 check-in): House Points - 483.7, % lost - 0.20% (total of 4.7 lbs lost, 10 people counted for.)

Week 2 (Jan 13-16 check-in): House Points - 452.2; % lost - 0.57% (total of 13.5 lbs lost, 10 people counted for)

Week 3 (Jan 20-23 check-in): House Points - 413.4; % lost - 0.51% (total of 5.6 lbs lost, 5 people counted for)

We're going awesome everyone!! Let's keep those numbers up!! :drinker:
  • poorcopies
    poorcopies Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Nice work Slytherins!

I always feel like my exercise minutes let the team down, what do you all do to get so many minutes in? I work full time and am active in a theatre group so that zaps a lot of my time. Any suggestions on how I can boost my mins (thus my cals!) would be appreciated!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    That tofu scramble looks really good sam!

If i tried to serve my boyfriend a tofu scramble I think he'd kill me.

PC - I don't know how they do it either! but to be fair I used to do an hour every day of low intensity exercise, and once I dialed the intensity up I was able to dial the time down for the same results (Well better since the low intensity wasn't doing as much as I got more fit)
  • SammieGetsFit
    Options
    Re: Tofu -- I prefer to trick people. If it's seasoned right and mixed with the right things, you really can't tell it's not eggs or whatever you're subbing it for. My favorite thing was when my mom ate Chik'n (vegetarian/vegan chicken) nuggets and didn't even realize it. She was just munching away -- at about 1/3 the cals and other badness. http://www.morningstarfarms.com/morningstar-farms-chikn-nuggets.html

PC - I walk. A lot. I walk to work, from work, just because I feel like it. It's a great way to get in some minutes and some exercise without having to prep. Also, I find that if I just get in a zone, then the things that I'm so busy with don't matter. Like, I can throw in laundry and instead of watching tv while it goes, work out or walk. Take a break to switch it, then really work up a sweat while it dries. Etc. I bet there are a lot more opportunities than you think in your day. If not, do what you can. :)
  • MacSkillz
    Options
    Oh I cannot do tofu. Only way I can eat is if it's in miso soup! Haha. I think its a texture thing for me. I don't eat beans either because of their texture. It seriously gives me the creeps! Haha

PC - well, Troy is a HUGE contributor to our high numbers! That man is a machine! I dont think he's ever reported less than like 700 minutes of exercise in a week. But I understand with a busy schedule. I work full time, have an hour and a half commute each way to work, and I'm taking grad courses., plus trying to maintain a household. Its rough, but I've worked my schedule out. I try to get up in the mornings to get in some sort of workout. I haven't been doing it lately because I've been sick and I could use the extra sleep to help recover. But then I always to to the gym on my lunch breaks at work. I get an hour break and there is a Planet Fitness across the street, so myself and 3 other co-workers all go together at 1. So on days that I do that, that's about 2 hours of exercise a day. Sometimes I push further and get in another hour after I eat dinner. Depends on how I'm feeling and how much homework I have. Then on weekends, I block out 2 hours of my day and workout. I make sure it's the first thing I do after eating breakfast, that way I don't put it off and then never get it done. Whats helped me with this is writing down my weekly schedule without exercise in it. Then I find times where I can fit it in. It takes a little getting used to once you creates a schedule for yourself, but once you get used to it, it becomes second nature! :)

For a food that I had this week, I will post the recipe for the hamburgers that I made last night! They were so good! I got the recipe fom Special K and substituted the ground beef for ground turkey. What I really like about them is that you mix in the ketchup and mustard so you don't have to put it on the bread! It does call for extra ketchup, but I personally find that there is enough in the burger itself. And another great plus - the fiancé like them too!
    http://www.specialk.com/tips-and-tools/healthy-recipes/hamburger/#/1
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Joined Hogwarts today, and am just checking-in! Looking forward to spending some really great times here :)

PS. I <3 tofu xD
  • tameko2
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Joined Hogwarts today, and am just checking-in! Looking forward to spending some really great times here :)

PS. I <3 tofu xD

I want to hug that pig. Or possibly turn him into bacon. Maybe both.
  • MacSkillz
    Options
    Hi everyone!

PS. I <3 tofu xD

I want to hug that pig. Or possibly turn him into bacon. Maybe both.

I vote bacon!!
  • shady81x
    Options
    Hug the pig before turning it into bacon or after? o_O
  • tameko2
    Options
    Hug the pig before turning it into bacon or after? o_O

Before. .... well. Maybe both. but I would wrap the bacon in paper first.

Ok so we need challenges for next week right? *thinks*

Also I forgot to post my own NEWT so:
    I don't cook pretty much at all, but two of the things we do cook are jambalaya (zatarains) with sausage and pasta -- which is greatly enhanced by adding sausage!

So I've found that trader joes has a huge selection of tasty and low-calorie (relatively) chicken sausages that I use for pasta regularly. The Jalapeno ones are 100 calories each so the 2 of us can eat a whole package with a serving and a half of Barilla Plus pasta (if you haven't tried that yet its awesome - taste and texture are pretty good and its super filling). for like 5-600 calories.
  • tameko2
    Options
    In case anyone missed it, I'm going to Vegas to get married this weekend (if you missed it its because we pretty much decided to do it like. ... a couple days ago. Whee!) sooooo keep up the weight loss while I'm gone because I'm going to eat like the zombie apocalypse is coming. I freaking love eating in vegas. Hopefully I don't get run down by tiny chinese ladies, I'm terrified of them.

(Its Chinese new year and Vegas should be packed with people)

Soooooooo!

NEWT: If you eat out this week (or maybe at someone else's house?), make a post talking about your strategies when going out to eat. 4 points for sharing 1, 6 points for sharing 2. To earn your 7th NEWT, fit a treat into your planned calories at least one time this week (its okay if part of your plan is to go over your calories as long as its something you did on purpose).

OWLS:

More Combos! Pick 3 of these exercises, do at least the number listed every day.

Superman/Banana = Hold each position for either 3 seconds, 6 seconds, or 9 seconds. Do each position 5 times.
    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evZILvDdQT4 <-- the girl is doing a much better job than the guy)

Pushups = 15 pushups. knee pushups if you can't do regular ones, wall pushups if you can't do girl pushups. Really push yourself - if you need to do these in 2 sets or 3 sets that's fine but the last one should be tough. Try doing 1 during each set that is one level harder than you do the rest (so if wall pushups are all you can do - try doing one knee pushup then do the last ones on the wall).

Side Plank Crunches - 20. you can either do the kind where your top arm comes down and curls under your side (So the front of your body tilts toward the floor) or the kind that work your obliques where you dip your hip down to the ground and then straighten. If you find the actual sideplank too challenge to crunch with it, sideplank for 30 seconds. This can be 3 sets of 10 seconds, 2 sets of 15, whatever.

Lunges -- 20 http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lunge/MM00723 If these are easy, grab some weights (a dumbell in each hand, anything appropriate heavy) and do them with that. Make sure your front knee doesn't go over your toes, if it does your feet are too close together and you can hurt yourself.

Tricep Dips -- 20 http://www.ehow.com/video_2360796_weekend-warrior-workout-triceps-dip.html
  • thekat78
    thekat78 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all Slytherins!

I would like to join Slytherin House, please!!! :):)
  • shady81x
    Options
    Dad dug out a digital scale from storage. Not too sure how accurate things are... but here's my 1st weigh-in: 45.3 kg.

Did some measurement and filled some numbers into an online home body fat test and results are as follows

- You have 18.9% body fat.
    - You have 8.5 Kilograms of fat and 36.5 Kilograms of lean (muscle, bone, body water).

I have my doubts, since my last body fat composition test at the gym a year ago gave me a result of 23% and I have been so lazy the entire year (eating more, working out less) so I don't think I've done any reduction. Plus my jeans kinda got tighter and my tummy flab more obvious. Well, I'll check again in like a week and see how it goes o_O

PS. don't eat the little piggy!!
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Maintained at 171 pounds. 7 newts and 7 owls. 1365 exercise minutes. Hope you all had a good week.

Troy
  • josieup
    josieup Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Whoops, looks like I forgot to check in last week!
    Here's this week:
    Weight down 0.8lbs
    0 NEWTS or OWLS (sorry, never remember to check what they are)
    223 exercise minutes

Welcome to the new Slytherins! So nice to have you join our wonderful house!