Stage 3

Options

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    bump cause i start this on the 28th after a week of rest.....i finish up on stage 2 tomorrow...
    denise
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Started Stage 3 yesterday and BOY can I feel it in the back of my thighs today lol

I loooooooove changing up stages and feeling it the next day - keeps things entertaining at least :)

I got 2:36 and 2:46 for my body weight matrix

Anyone else just started Stage 3?
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I will be starting Stage 3 later this week. I'm a little concerned on the time it takes since I see that these workouts take longer than the previous two stages. I might have to start going after work instead of before so that I don't have to worry about getting to work on time.

Quick question for any of you trying to cut down on body fat - have you cut down significantly on body fat yet? If so, how strictly do you adhere to this program (exercise and nutrition)?

I'm excited to start a new stage!
  • aregensb
    Options
    I also wanted to ask - how much weight do you lift with your deadlift vs the Romanian deadlift? I usually deadlift about 100# but I feel like I should decrease the weight for the Romanian deadlift. It seems like you don't really use your lower body that much in a Romanian deadlift. Thoughts?
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Have only done workout A of Stage 3 so far but really felt it the next day. Onto B today. Wish I had done some measurements because would like some objective feedback on changes. Overall though definitely seeing more definition in arms and legs and overall tightening of abs (which have a ways to go). Not much change on scale. Was down 2 lbs then now back to baseline. MFP has me at 1200 which I think is too low and I'm not doing the protein shakes so much as just trying to eat more protein rich foods. Seems hard to log this routine into the database so end up calling it circuit training and just guessing. Trying to do interval training or steady state short runs of 3 miles or so on off days. I eat back about 200-300 calories depending on the workout. Trying to just focus on body changes and feeling strong and not get hung up on scale. does anyone use a body fat percentage scale or do you think calipers are the more accurate way to judge? Anyway, really enjoying MFP and this forum. Thanks!
  • aregensb
    Options
    I did workout A for the first time tonight. That body matrix is horrible. The squats and lunges weren't so bad, but my legs started to really feel tired during the jumping lunges and just exhausted during the jumping squats. It was a little embarrassing too - I looked like an idiot doing the jumping squats especially when I got tired, but oh well!
  • aregensb
    Options
    Boy, today I'm really feeling the soreness from WO A in the backs of my thighs. WO B tonight though!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    kcfaber, I think you need WAY more calories!! Instead of going by mfp, try going by the calculations that are detailed in NROL4W. Eat more!!

aregen - you're scaring the crap outta me. Having said that, and having read all this jive on "the body matrix", I have scoped out a studio room in my gym so that, when I get there, I can do the body matrix in that room, on my own.

(I might even leave the lights off if it is THAT BAD!)

My flabby *kitten* awaits...
  • aregensb
    Options
    Don't be scared! It's just a lot of jumping at the end of your workout, so you're already tired. I'm sure it'll get better, but this time it was a little rough.
  • kcfaber
    Options
    Thanks Beeps. I'm sure you're right. have been aiming for more like 1600 which is maintenance based on the book. But in any case really enjoying feeling stronger and faster with this program. Love the HIIT. has really increased my running pace. Was previously an 11 min mile person. Now 10 minutes and can sprint to 7 minute pace. So thrilled with these changes and trying to surrender scale obsession. Need to get body fat checked maybe to have better gauge on progress. Does anyone use their scale for that or more likely measurements with tape vs calipers? Is everyone else doing the protein shakes??
  • aregensb
    Options
    I am doing protein shakes, but not that often. After I workout, I usually just mix protein powder with almondmilk or 1% milk - whatever I have lying around the house.

I do agree with beeps, and I think you should calculate what you should be eating based on the book and see how that goes for a month. I read a really good analogy today:
    "People try to use false logic when it comes to weight loss. I always here the "car" analogy. If you have a full tank of gas the car will weigh more. Put in less gas and the car will weigh less.
    But the body doesn't work that way. It works like a DAM. If there's a CONSISTENT amount of rainfall, the "valves" of the dam are kept open to keep the dam in balance and from overflowing. When there's drought, the valves are "closed" for conservation purposes."

We want to burn the fat and build muscle in the most efficient way possible, so we gotta eat properly!

See how it goes. I ate 2100-2300 calories for the first month. I didn't lose or gain any weight but I did lose inches, so I know I'm building muscle.
  • kcfaber
    Options
    Successes: Increased to 8lbs on YTWL. Woohoo. Increased calorie goal on here to 1450 which is maintenance based on the book. Seems better. And the HIIT is really kicking my butt. Definitely need to separate from workout B. doing Sprint 8 interval on treadmill at level 13 which is 5.2 mph base and 8.2-8.5 mph sprints at 6% elevation. This is a 1:3 ratio rather than 1:2 but feels plenty hard to me. 8 30 second sprint with warmup and cooldown is 20 minutes. Love doing this combination with the strength training. Think it's really working.
  • aregensb
    Options
    Successes: Increased to 8lbs on YTWL. Woohoo. Increased calorie goal on here to 1450 which is maintenance based on the book. Seems better. And the HIIT is really kicking my butt. Definitely need to separate from workout B. doing Sprint 8 interval on treadmill at level 13 which is 5.2 mph base and 8.2-8.5 mph sprints at 6% elevation. This is a 1:3 ratio rather than 1:2 but feels plenty hard to me. 8 30 second sprint with warmup and cooldown is 20 minutes. Love doing this combination with the strength training. Think it's really working.

Eugh that sounds like no fun. I'm just been doing about 15 minutes on the bike and that wears me out. I warm up at level 3 for 1 minute, level 4 for 2 minutes, jump up to 6 for the 60sec interval, back down to 4 for 2min, up to 7, down to 4, up to 7, down to 4, up to 8, and then finish at 4. I'm huffing and puffing by the end.

On a side note, it kind of makes me laugh when I'm there huffing and puffing on the bike right next to someone reading a magazine and not even breaking a sweat. They sit on there for like 45 minutes doing this. I used to go on the elliptical for that long and now it seems like such a waste of time. I hate doing intervals, but at least I'm only on there for 20min max.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    aregen, I'm with you on this. In fact, I usually CHOOSE to sit beside someone who is just lolly-gagging around because it makes me feel even MORE purposeful!

I used to do cardio for well over an HOUR, each and every day. And, now, while I still feel like I'm "cheating" by only doing cardio for 15-20 minutes, I can see that, long-term, this will be a very good thing.
  • kcfaber
    Options
    yup. trained for and ran two (slow 11 min miles) half marathons in the last year with approximately no weight loss or increased fitness and now just doing 20 minutes seems like crazy talk but I really think it is helping. And 20 minutes is much easier to carve out time for than over an hour so that is great too!
  • aripak
    aripak Posts: 33
    Options
    So, I'm half way through Stage 3. I have a love/hate thing going for workout A. The body matrix is intense but I feel very accomplished when I'm done. I feel workout B is much easier but after doing workout A, I'm quite happy with that (lol) and just push harder on the intervals.

As far as measurements/weight. I've been using fat calipers/scale/measurement tape. I've lost 10 lbs and approx 5% body fat. I've lost a couple inches all around and have gained about 3 pounds of muscle. The only place not budging yet is my thighs and I assume its because I still have about 18 more pounds to lose until I reach my 19% fat goal. I have been adding in steady-state cardio after my intervals on non training days. But, it is never more than an 45min including the intervals.

I'm not following the diet strictly. But, I am using all the main principles. Lots of protein (including one shake a day), veggies at each meal, healthy fats and no processed/packaged foods. I am not nearly so strict on Friday night and Saturday ;)

I am really happy with the results, I tried it a couple years ago and had minimal results because my diet was horrible. I was constantly trying to do extra cardio to burn cals, cutting out ab stuff when I was tired, etc... Now I realize, there is a reason I got the book. So, I am trusting the experts....and its working!!!!

I also want to say thanks to everyone for sharing, I love hearing everyones experiences.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Stage 2 in the bag. Resting, then starting stage 3 Sunday. Soooo excited!

I'm eating 2100/day, unless I'm on a rest week; then I'm eating 1800, my maintenance level. I'm going to eat that way until April 1st, then stay at 1800 from there on out. Not sure if that's what Lou had in mind, but it feels right to me. I'm comfortable with ignoring the scale (until April anyway...that's the deal I made with myself.) I'm very near the weight I want to be, and I'm okay with gaining (in the name of MUSCLE) but I intend to cut any extra before swimsuit season!

I've gotten spoiled to an after-workout snack of a chocolate protein shake made with light soy milk, and peanut butter on whole grain toast. Kind of my pat-on-the-back, ya know? I've left behind alot of the processed stuff, but I don't see me ever going totally clean. I do feel better when I eat cleaner, so it may sort of enforce itself along the way.

My problem is, I want to learn to run, too. I remember Lou mentioning that running and weightlifting aren't necessarily compatible. "No point in trying to make your body smaller and more efficient at the same time you're trying to make it stronger and rev up your metabolism." Can anyone refute this? I don't want to run a marathon...just a 5k. Can I do both without risking progress on the program?
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't want to run a marathon...just a 5k. Can I do both without risking progress on the program?

My honest opinion....and I'm no expert....just someone with experience doing both this program and running. I think you will sacrifice some progress on the NROL4W program -- but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not doable.

I personally have been training for races AND doing NR, for about 3 months now.

I'm about to the point where I really want to focus more heavily on the lifting, so I plan to cut back on the running after my next big race (10-miler in April).

I have been working out 6 days a week -- 3 days doing NR, 3 days doing cardio (1 day intervals, 1 day incline, 1 day tempo run). It's worked for me and I've been able to improve my running. But now that I'm 3 months into it, I've noticed less gains on the lifting side, and I don't think I'm letting my body recover enough to really perform well at the lifting.

That said, I still have noticed some improvement, I'm stronger, my muscles look better, it's not as though it is a waste, and I'm able to pull off both of them. If both are a priority, you can do it. Just realize that you may not realize as MUCH gains on either side than if you were focusing solely on one or the other. For me, I'm happy making modest gains on both sides for now.
  • kcfaber
    Options
    I think it really depends on the details of the 5K. Do you want to finish it or are you trying to finish it in a certain time? I think just finishing it is a totally reasonable and compatible goal with doing this program as long as you are giving yourself enough training time from here to there. Probably three days a week of running like Deekaydee said is what your're looking at. But one of those could be your interval/HIIT workout for here and then just two days of steady state or hills if you're really ambitious. So I don't think it's a deal breaker. It just depends on what your goals/priorities are. I'm still running because I like it and it really helps me manage stress. Just not overdoing it.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i do nrolfw 2 days a week, 1/2 marathon training 3 days a week and spin class 1 day a week...i take 1 complete day of rest....
    i'm not running for "TIME" i'm running to finish lol so i'm not really pushing pushing pushing the running to improve too much...obviously i want to finish the 1/2 marathon in a reasonable time (11-13 min/mile is my goal)....when i complete the 1/2 on feb 26 i'm done with the running for training - i'll just run 1-2x a week for my cardio...at that point i'll be starting stage 4 a week or so after the race so i think i'll put a bit more effort into my lifting and getting "bigger - stronger" muscles...

i do not see any problems with running/training for a 5k....i suggest the couchto5k program...i did it last march to may and felt very successful after completing the program.....

good luck with whatever you decide...
    denise

Stage 2 in the bag. Resting, then starting stage 3 Sunday. Soooo excited!

I'm eating 2100/day, unless I'm on a rest week; then I'm eating 1800, my maintenance level. I'm going to eat that way until April 1st, then stay at 1800 from there on out. Not sure if that's what Lou had in mind, but it feels right to me. I'm comfortable with ignoring the scale (until April anyway...that's the deal I made with myself.) I'm very near the weight I want to be, and I'm okay with gaining (in the name of MUSCLE) but I intend to cut any extra before swimsuit season!

I've gotten spoiled to an after-workout snack of a chocolate protein shake made with light soy milk, and peanut butter on whole grain toast. Kind of my pat-on-the-back, ya know? I've left behind alot of the processed stuff, but I don't see me ever going totally clean. I do feel better when I eat cleaner, so it may sort of enforce itself along the way.

My problem is, I want to learn to run, too. I remember Lou mentioning that running and weightlifting aren't necessarily compatible. "No point in trying to make your body smaller and more efficient at the same time you're trying to make it stronger and rev up your metabolism." Can anyone refute this? I don't want to run a marathon...just a 5k. Can I do both without risking progress on the program?