Best LC Choices at Sushi Bar?

Options
What would you order at a sushi bar?

I'm going to a friend's birthday party tomorrow night. Give me some ideas? I know sashimi is just the meat, but I have never had it and am a little nervous I won't like it!

I've already decided I'm going to allow myself to get 1 roll with rice (probably spicy salmon...) but I don't want to completely blow my new LC way of eating. I've been really good for the past 2 weeks, I need a cheat day.

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    If you keep allowing yourself to be nervous over something you havent had yet, you will ultimately develop a problem with it... you dont want to do that.

Start off with something very simple: tuna and yellow tail - both are mild, full bodied and full of flavor.

Personally, I embrace trying new things with an open mind rather than a reserved mind. There's no point in stressing over something you havent done yet.... and you definitely dont want to ruin the experience with getting nervous, right? Its not worth it....

Warning though: make sure you get the spicy-sauce on the side. Its Kewpie Japanese mayonnaise and sriracha mixed together. Sometimes some places will make that stuff swim all over the place.

My best friends from Taiwan own an Asian Fusion restaurant and they make regular trips to NYC and Boston for their Sushi-grade seafood... I wont go anywhere else for my sashimi/sushi fix, except at their restaurant.... Im VERY picky about freshness....
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you keep allowing yourself to be nervous over something you havent had yet, you will ultimately develop a problem with it... you dont want to do that.

Start off with something very simple: tuna and yellow tail - both are mild, full bodied and full of flavor.

Personally, I embrace trying new things with an open mind rather than a reserved mind. There's no point in stressing over something you havent done yet.... and you definitely dont want to ruin the experience with getting nervous, right? Its not worth it....

Warning though: make sure you get the spicy-sauce on the side. Its Kewpie Japanese mayonnaise and sriracha mixed together. Sometimes some places will make that stuff swim all over the place.

My best friends from Taiwan own an Asian Fusion restaurant and they make regular trips to NYC and Boston for their Sushi-grade seafood... I wont go anywhere else for my sashimi/sushi fix, except at their restaurant.... Im VERY picky about freshness....

sorry to hijack the OPs help but i also LOVED sushi before hand and haven't had any because i'm not eating grains of any sort, does sashimi normally come with the spicy mayo sauce you mentioned or is that just a suggestion instead of soysauce and/or tamari?
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    SASHIMI!! :smile: it is the perfect LC food! you can get a lovely assortment of fishies w/o any rice or carbs on plate: sashimi_as_in_raw_fish_what_wine.jpg (hope that pic thing works, but if not just google it). no one will even know that you're doing LC.
  • cramernh
    Options

sorry to hijack the OPs help but i also LOVED sushi before hand and haven't had any because i'm not eating grains of any sort, does sashimi normally come with the spicy mayo sauce you mentioned or is that just a suggestion instead of soysauce and/or tamari?

Normally sashimi is presented either two ways: Each sashimi is placed on a small ball of rice (usually about 1/4C each ball), or each piece sits on a bed of daikon threads. Wasabi and pickled ginger are on the side of the presentation, and a small saucer is given if you would like to use soy sauce.

Spicy Mayo is presented on "Sushi": the actual rolled up presentation - traditionally a Spicy Tuna/Salmon/Yellow Tail will have cucumber in with the seafood-roll. If you get a "Maki", that is one large hand-wrapped seaweed cone filled with the seafood, cucumber, carrot, and some rice.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I would definitely try the sashimi- salmon & tuna are yummy and very nice with wasabi & soy sauce.

Not sure where you are from but in the UK most sushi places do cooked or seared fish too, perhaps go for some cooked crab claws or king prawns (shrimp) or seared beef or tuna salad?

You can also have small portions of edemame beans and japanese pickles.

Enjoy!
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    "Normally sashimi is presented either two ways: Each sashimi is placed on a small ball of rice (usually about 1/4C each ball), or each piece sits on a bed of daikon threads."

guess it depends on the place? at the sushi bars that i've been to in NY while sitting at actual bar ordering shashimi it doesn't have any rice . when getting delivery i just order assorted sashimi and add in a "no rice at all please" at end.

btw- have a cold? wasbabi works like nothing else to make breathing lovely again.
  • mcneilnomore
    mcneilnomore Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sashimi should be just the raw fish. Nigiri sushi is the raw fish on top of rice. Atleast, at all of the places I go to. I love sushi and I usually order a regular roll as a handroll with no rice. That way you get all the flavors of the rolls without the rice. I've also ordered regular rolls with no rice. There is a sushi place here in town that does low carb sushi that is incredible so you might want to check their menu because you just never know. Damn. Now I really want sushi! :)
  • cramernh
    Options
    "Normally sashimi is presented either two ways: Each sashimi is placed on a small ball of rice (usually about 1/4C each ball), or each piece sits on a bed of daikon threads."

guess it depends on the place? at the sushi bars that i've been to in NY while sitting at actual bar ordering shashimi it doesn't have any rice . when getting delivery i just order assorted sashimi and add in a "no rice at all please" at end.

btw- have a cold? wasbabi works like nothing else to make breathing lovely again.

Ive studied sushi and sashimi under a local chef here... and sashimi is definitely presented in more than just one way.