Tell us about yourself!!

Options

Replies

• throttler228
    Options
    I am a freshmeat with Charm City and Beaux Toxx's derby wife. I tried out last February, didn't make it but she convinced me to try reffing as way to have access to practices and work on my skills. It was a huge help, and I often recommend it to people who are too busy staring at their feet or obviously thinking too much to just skate. It was fun and a great way to stay involved - I even went to a wftda ref clinic, but I knew I could be a great skater and it can suck not cheering on friends. I'm so glad I made it on the league this past October. I still have a decent way to go but I know I will get there eventually. My goals are to be scrimmage ready by ECDX(the weekend of my 31st birthday) and be draftable for our next home season in Fall of 2012.

I saw my first bout in my home town of Cleveland, the Burning River Roller Girls. How confusing it was at first, but awesome. At half time there was the best thing ever. Roller derby musical chairs. The winner won by putting the chair over her opponent and sitting on it. I fell in love. But at the time, I was satisfied going to bouts. My mom once went with me and nudged me - You could do this T! But it was a year or more and after I moved to Baltimore that I realized she was making sense. I've been in my share of dangerous sports and it was odd to be encouraged to add another one to the list. But now she can't wait for me to bout.

My weight has stayed relatively the same since I started skating almost a year ago, which is a little frustrating save for the fact that my body has changed significantly - I'm much stronger and more flexible, and can do things I never thought possible. On Jan 13 I will begin a two-month weight loss and fitness program with a college gym, which I am hoping will help me establish a workout routine off skates and could potentially earn me a free membership period at the gym too. My biggest struggle has really been finding things to do on non-practice nights and sticking to it.

My other biggest struggle: plow stops. Only I would master the hard one - toe stops in both directions - before the easiest one.
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am a freshmeat with Charm City and Beaux Toxx's derby wife. I tried out last February, didn't make it but she convinced me to try reffing as way to have access to practices and work on my skills. It was a huge help, and I often recommend it to people who are too busy staring at their feet or obviously thinking too much to just skate. It was fun and a great way to stay involved - I even went to a wftda ref clinic, but I knew I could be a great skater and it can suck not cheering on friends. I'm so glad I made it on the league this past October. I still have a decent way to go but I know I will get there eventually. My goals are to be scrimmage ready by ECDX(the weekend of my 31st birthday) and be draftable for our next home season in Fall of 2012.

I saw my first bout in my home town of Cleveland, the Burning River Roller Girls. How confusing it was at first, but awesome. At half time there was the best thing ever. Roller derby musical chairs. The winner won by putting the chair over her opponent and sitting on it. I fell in love. But at the time, I was satisfied going to bouts. My mom once went with me and nudged me - You could do this T! But it was a year or more and after I moved to Baltimore that I realized she was making sense. I've been in my share of dangerous sports and it was odd to be encouraged to add another one to the list. But now she can't wait for me to bout.

My weight has stayed relatively the same since I started skating almost a year ago, which is a little frustrating save for the fact that my body has changed significantly - I'm much stronger and more flexible, and can do things I never thought possible. On Jan 13 I will begin a two-month weight loss and fitness program with a college gym, which I am hoping will help me establish a workout routine off skates and could potentially earn me a free membership period at the gym too. My biggest struggle has really been finding things to do on non-practice nights and sticking to it.

My other biggest struggle: plow stops. Only I would master the hard one - toe stops in both directions - before the easiest one.

awww (blushing) thats mah girl- I am so freaking proud of her- and CANNOT wait for her first bout. In the mean time she will have to suffer the never ending series of possibly fictitious penalties called on her ( "TWEET- poorly coordinated knee socks/ derby skins combo- MAJOR" "TWEET- your *kitten* looks too fine for this scrimmage tonight- MAJOR" ) ;)

I have to give her props bc she introduced me to MFP- and my life is better as a result.
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Options

GOOD LUCK and remember, ON THE FLOOR = EASY SCORE, TALK **** = GET HIT!!!!!

xoxox, Bling
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    hi, i'm jasmine, skating out of columbus,ga. we're starting up the first derby league in the area so we're getting paperwork, bylaws and local support together now. the community has been very welcoming of our presence which is VERY motivating. we're just doing the basic skate skills right now, trying to get everyone roughly on the same level of ability. we also have a derby boot camp this month to get us all in shape to be scrimmage ready. i must say i'm genuinely hooked. i can't think of anything else honestly lol. it's nice to see some charm city girls on here because i'm moving to maryland in march and was going to look into trying out for their freshmeat team
  • jodimitchell
    jodimitchell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Im Razzybeth and i play with the Pearl River SwampDolls in Slidell, La. I have been playing derby for the last 6 mos and i am ate-up-with-it!!! I have been in 7 bouts in the last 6 mos and we have a scrimmage scheduled for next weekend!! Ive been on myfitnesspal for a while but in the last few months lost focus... it time to get back in the game. Im excited that this group is on here.
  • breakinspine222
    breakinspine222 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm Bride of Breakin'spine and I skate with LOCO Roller Derby, a recreational league in London, Ontario. I have been playing with them for a little over a year now. I had been watching the competitive team in my city for years and always wanted to join but didn't think I could do it - I had never played a sport before. Then I found out about the rec league, and haven't looked back since. Since joining I have become a member of our board, and am now working on setting up a junior chapter of our league as well.

My team did a fitness/weight loss/nutrition challenge for October and November last year, and that motivated me to start eating healthier. I chose to only participate in the nutrition part of the challenge, as before I rarely lost weight no matter what I did and didn't want to weigh in weekly. I ended up losing 17 pounds during the challenge, and found my skating and endurance improved. Since the challenge ended (I won the nutrition portion of the challenge!) I wanted to keep going, but found it difficult to keep on track and I'm hoping that MyFitnessPal will help with that :)
  • sarahface24
    sarahface24 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! i am Freckles Fatale from Three Rivers Roller Derby in Elkton MD. i am heading into my second season and the second year of my team, which i helped get off the ground. i ended up with appedicitis at the end of august(totally skated in a bout with a burst appendix and didnt know it), and i had surgery to remove the damn thing in november, and in the midst of all that gained a bunch of weight from sitting on my butt. i am super excited about this coming season and am doing all i can to be in the best shape possible in preparation for it.
  • biggyshorty
    biggyshorty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am Snatch n Bent, I skate with Appalachian Rollergirls in Boone, NC. I am 48 yrs. old but only in numbers! I am not sure how these groups work and not to be nosey but I love to share the food diary part of mfp with other derby gals cuz I swear I struggle HARD to stay under my calories for the day.....just want to know how others do it....
  • MotivateMeg
    MotivateMeg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hello. My name is Megan. I am not part of a derby team, but I am very interested in joining one and am spending this year to brush up on my skating skills so that I can try out next year. :)
  • slamazon
    slamazon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't have a derby name ... yet. I am in the homestretch of a year long journey to become fresh meat :)

I started MFP last January and have since lost over 40 pounds (slowly but surely). I also got my *kitten* off the couch and to the gym to increase my fitness (and confidence) level.

I bought a fresh meat package, started skating and am now hoping to become fresh meat on our local derby team!!! The experience has definitely taken me way out of my comfort zone because I do not know anyone involved ... so starting from scratch but I am determined to make derby a significant part of my life!
  • ArchangelaJ
    Options
    My name is Jacked Hart, I'm an Army wife and I'm currently a referee for Desert Dolls Roller Derby in Phoenix, AZ, though I will soon be moving and will join the Bettie Brigade at Joint Base Lewis McChord in Washington state. I found out about MFP from my sister-in-law who is also a derby girl with DDRD. I joined roller derby 4 years ago, first starting with the Arizona Derby Dames. After getting injured at the beginning of my 2nd season & my husband's first deployment, I stopped skating, started volunteering for the league & gaining weight. I gained 25 lbs when he was gone the first time, only losing 15 during our time back together. This last year, he's been in South Korea and I'm up to a size 18 and that's with being a skating ref. He's coming home now and I would like to get down to the weight I was when I first joined derby: 160 lbs. I am a very proud chubby girl, but I'm also a proud derby girl and I believe losing this weight will help me be a better skater.
  • ArchangelaJ
    Options
    hi, i'm jasmine, skating out of columbus,ga. we're starting up the first derby league in the area so we're getting paperwork, bylaws and local support together now. the community has been very welcoming of our presence which is VERY motivating. we're just doing the basic skate skills right now, trying to get everyone roughly on the same level of ability. we also have a derby boot camp this month to get us all in shape to be scrimmage ready. i must say i'm genuinely hooked. i can't think of anything else honestly lol. it's nice to see some charm city girls on here because i'm moving to maryland in march and was going to look into trying out for their freshmeat team

I used to skate with Burn City Rollers, while I was living at Fort Benning! I heard there was a league started in Columbus right around the time I left. I hope you girls do wonderfully!
  • DaniMerc72
    DaniMerc72 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I'm new to the group, and pretty new to derby as well. I am Lola Lambruisa'ho, with the Diamond State Roller Girls in Newark, Delaware. I've been in derby for about a year, and I love it, but my weight and lack of strength is seriously screwing up my attempts to be a great derby player. I want to be healthy and strong, and am so excited to get started on this journey! Looking forward to getting help and support from all of you!
    Dani
  • OrangeRoughy40ish
    Options
    Hi Orange Roughy here. Been skating derby about 1.5 years. Came in at 260lbs and am now at 244lbs. My loss has been in the last 6 weeks and is due to hitting the gym and counting calories. I want to be better at derby and am using that as my motivator to take the weight off. Glad to be party of this group!
  • chachachingona
    chachachingona Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am ChaCha Chingona Co-Founder of The Ann Arbor Derby Dimes in Ann Arbor, MI. I have already lost 50 lbs and have 55 to go. I am really happy that there is a derby community on here. There is nothing in the world like derby love <3
    I am currently working through an injury (****ing KNEES!) and am hoping to return by next month... Wish me luck;)
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

I used to skate with Burn City Rollers, while I was living at Fort Benning! I heard there was a league started in Columbus right around the time I left. I hope you girls do wonderfully!

aww thanks! yeah we're still getting our skating skills together right now but we have a bunch of girls :heart: cho cold, paina scully and scar chasm are helping out with our drills as well as two sweet girls from texas
  • throttler228
    Options
    I don't have a derby name ... yet. I am in the homestretch of a year long journey to become fresh meat :)

I started MFP last January and have since lost over 40 pounds (slowly but surely). I also got my *kitten* off the couch and to the gym to increase my fitness (and confidence) level.

I bought a fresh meat package, started skating and am now hoping to become fresh meat on our local derby team!!! The experience has definitely taken me way out of my comfort zone because I do not know anyone involved ... so starting from scratch but I am determined to make derby a significant part of my life!

don't worry. it will very quickly take over your entire life, and you will still love it. :) Great way to make new friends for sure!
  • ArchangelaJ
    Options
    Those ladies are awesome! I miss them!
  • angrystarlyt
    angrystarlyt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

My name is Ivanna Bereave and I skate for the Kansas City Roller Warriors. I'm on the Victory Vixens and aim to try out for their travel B Team here in a few weeks. I played in Topeka on a non-WFTDA team for a season before moving eastward. I'm one of those people who is half proud, half envious when I hear about people LOSING weight when they play derby! I'm as hard as a rock and have definitely trimmed up a bit, but I've lost maybe 1 pound in the year I've been skating. Jeez!

My fitness goals aren't really weight related (although I'm hoping to drop 10 lbs in the process). I just know that the stronger you are, the less likely you are to get injured in a preventable way (as opposed to those freak accidents which none of us can avoid). I dabble in the Roller Derby Workout routine, but mainly just the diet side--I practice four times a week and usually do one or two days in the gym, and that's all I have time or energy for.

Glad to be here :)
  • chloeceleste
    Options
    I'm Chloe but my Derby name is Pinki K. Pow. I am fresh meat with WA roller Derby in Western Australia. I started skating in October last year to lose weight, control my anxiety (exercise and getting involved in things helps!) and to play Roller Derby. i'm going to go all metric on your *kitten* now - since then, I have lost a total of 40cm from my body - I think it all went into my Knee/Elbow/Wrist pads/Stripy socks as smelly sweat :P I have lost 5cm from my thigh, 5cm from my belly, 5cm from my boobs and my butt has got super perky!

I love what derby does to me and for me and I love that I get to meet amazing people that I never would have known - soon from all over the world! (bring on Rollercon 2012!)

I want to gain more confidence in my weak little knees and be able to feel like I can trust my body to handle everything I'm throwing at it :)

There we go, thats me :)