locker rooms

Options

Replies

• TopazCarey
    Options
    This is exactly why I don't use locker rooms or public bathrooms. Except I'm the opposite (I'm a guy that typically gets mistaken as a girl)
    Whenever I'm in the men's bathroom or what have you, I always get stares and someone saying "you're in the wrong restroom."
    It's so tedious. But honestly, I usually get less stares and feel more comfortable when I use the ladies room. Lol.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest, and this is totally not the point of this thread. In fact, I dare say I might be bringing the cause back a few years with my view...but..

Everytime I see this title thread come up, my first thought is: Why are there not more hot men in the locker room with me?

It's cheap, and I admit it kind of makes me a 12 year old, but I feel like I should get something about being marginalized.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it seem like its getting better though? Or maybe its just where I Iive.... like the first time I went to some ladies clothing store and my mom was with me and there was a guy in the fitting rooms (Working there) she was like "OMG THERE'S A GUY BACK HERE" and I was like "uh huh and he just wants to show me to a fitting room and get paid his XX/hour." And now there are guys working at Victoria's secret sometimes and she doesn't bat an eye (I imagine it helps if they 'seem' sufficiently gay?) -- I mean really, if you're that body shy go in a stall. My bf *never* uses public urinals because he's just super ....EVERYTHING shy? (hates public restrooms in general in fact but sometimes you have no choice). Gym's usually have bathroom stalls or private areas you can change if that's really a big issue for you.

For those of you it just upsets or who just avoid it, hang in there. Its tough but honestly it really does help people when they are forced to get used to it. MOST people are better about accepting something if they have a particular friend they know that's like that. Get in there, get changed, and go work out. They'll get over it or they'll change gyms, either way it has nothing to do with YOU. (uh this might work better if you take a polite approach whether or not you feel they deserve it). My mom used to come up with all sorts of nutty ideas about gays (thanks mass media!) like how they are sadder than straight people or whatever that study was. The more people she actually meets and gets to know the less she thinks like that (to the point that when one of my friends from HS decided to transition my mom's only complaint was that he had been one of the most beautiful girls of my HS friends and what a shame that was). She even tries to remember the gender pronoun switch (Which is better than my friend's mom is doing unfortunately).

(PS Locker rooms are gross, I change at home before I go to the gym. They smell funny and the floors are always gross looking.)
  • Banrion
    Banrion Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I only had this happen on gender-bender day at my school. I have to admit, I make a cute dude and when I walked into the girls bathroom, even though announcement had been made for weeks the girls in the restroom still screamed. Honestly, people need to get over it, everyone is there for the same reason...to workout!!
  • bgillis7
    bgillis7 Posts: 124
    Options
    Thats horable.
    but i check girls out in the locker room:)
    why not?:)
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    LOL Pretty funny.

When I had short hair I would get called Sir all the time, plus I have an andro name so really it's not a big deal. Happened at work one day by an older lady and one of my coworkers flipped out after she left. I was like chill it happens all the time, I don't blame people. I look like a boy with short hair always have. I've gotten a few looks in restrooms, but nothing bad. I haven't had a problem in the gym yet though. Probably because I don't typically wear a hat so I don't look quite as masculine. But it's bound to happen.

I did have a gf come home with me once and see a picture on our front windowsill and ask who the cute little boy was. I busted out laughing and explained that was me @ like 2 yrs old. And my parents wonder! Geez!
  • tameko2
    Options
    LOL Pretty funny.

When I had short hair I would get called Sir all the time, plus I have an andro name so really it's not a big deal. Happened at work one day by an older lady and one of my coworkers flipped out after she left. I was like chill it happens all the time, I don't blame people. I look like a boy with short hair always have. I've gotten a few looks in restrooms, but nothing bad. I haven't had a problem in the gym yet though. Probably because I don't typically wear a hat so I don't look quite as masculine. But it's bound to happen.

I did have a gf come home with me once and see a picture on our front windowsill and ask who the cute little boy was. I busted out laughing and explained that was me @ like 2 yrs old. And my parents wonder! Geez!

Haha, my BF's (crap, husband now, whatever) first girlfriend in HS apparently looked like a boy to everyone (I've seen a picture and I don't really see BOY but she did look a bit androgynous I guess) and people used to say things about "that gay couple".
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I will admit to checking eveyone out. LOL

thank GOD i'm not the only one who does this...and the girlies just get naked even though there's dressing rooms...hellooo boobies!

to stay on topic however, my ex girlfriend is a stud and would get strange looks from everyone. when i went to my bestfriend's daughter's first birthday party, we weren't in the house 30 seconds before the child's grandmother yells obnoxiously 'is that your SON?'...dumbass banshee.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if I'm looking at you, I'm probably checking you out. :laugh: But I understand some people don't want to be checked out like that, so I'm just going to keep my eyes to myself now. :sad:

Right... I'll just be more subtle now. Now whattttttttttt. :wink:

j/k. I really will try to stop checking people out.

Just in locker rooms, right? XD
  • tameko2
    Options
    Seriously, if I'm looking at you, I'm probably checking you out. :laugh: But I understand some people don't want to be checked out like that, so I'm just going to keep my eyes to myself now. :sad:

Right... I'll just be more subtle now. Now whattttttttttt. :wink:

j/k. I really will try to stop checking people out.

Just in locker rooms, right? XD

this made me laugh.

But seriously, as long as you're not being obvious or creepy, EVERYONE at least glances over. Its not even really a sexual thing. You just gotta look. And in my case be like "my boobs are the best in this room *fist pump*" because its the small victories in life that matter.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

thank GOD i'm not the only one who does this...and the girlies just get naked even though there's dressing rooms...hellooo boobies!

I think I need to go to the locker rooms YOU are going too because the ladies that walk around naked aren't anything I want to check out at MY gym! LOL
  • repoman150
    repoman150 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    LOL me too!!
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I can't count the number of times I've been called "sir." I don't let that stop me. There's no room at home for equipment, so to the gym I go! Heck with them...I do change in the stall though :)
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i just want to say to all of my butch-identified and more masculine presenting brothers and sisters, please don't stop being visible!

a. you're sexy as hell
    b. you're brave as hell
    c. you've got the visibility that's powerful enough to make people realize that gender has many possibilities.

short of wearing a pink triangle on my clothes at all times, it's hard for me to be visibly "out" in the world, so i just wanted to say thank you to those who are. you are all awesome.
  • roamingstudent
    Options
    From the male perspective, it can be very embarrasing for us not to immediately know the correct gender!

I'm a ticket inspector on the trains in the UK. Quite often on a very busy train when I have to work quickly I sometimes say "Thank you, Sir" when taking their ticket only to look at them again after stamping it to see that it's a woman (usually with short hair, football shirts/hoodies, tattoos etc)... I try not to make a big thing of it and will say "Thank you, Miss" when giving it back.

Obviously, there is NOTHING wrong with choosing to dress like that. But it's embarrasing for me when I make the mistake.

How would you feel if I refered to you as "Sir"? Am I correcting myself in the correct way? Do you think I should do anything better?! I'd love to hear from you! x
  • tegsa
    tegsa Posts: 16 Member
    Options

How would you feel if I refered to you as "Sir"? Am I correcting myself in the correct way? Do you think I should do anything better?! I'd love to hear from you! x

This is a tough one since not every wants to be labeled as male/female or sir/ma'am. You could offend a pre-op FTM, genderqueer, etc.

When people call me "sir" and realize I'm not, they start to apologize profusely and I can see how embarrassed they are. I'm an extremely shy person and so them realizing and apologizing makes me feel even MORE embarrassed than being called "sir".

I'd just go with your gut if you need to use sir/ma'am. I think those people that are bothered by it will actually correct you.
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options

I usually tend to find it funny when someone thinks I'm a male, but I definitely understand where some people would be deeply offended. I don't know if there's really a graceful save on this one; it's just plain awkward for both people involved.

My advice would be to try not to make too big a deal of it. When my hair was a lot shorter, a lady called me 'sir,' apologized about five times when she realized her mistake, and then started ranting at me about how I should dress more like a girl and stop wearing hats because it confused people. I wasn't embarrassed, I was just pissed off that she was causing a scene.

i just want to say to all of my butch-identified and more masculine presenting brothers and sisters, please don't stop being visible!

a. you're sexy as hell
    b. you're brave as hell
    c. you've got the visibility that's powerful enough to make people realize that gender has many possibilities.

short of wearing a pink triangle on my clothes at all times, it's hard for me to be visibly "out" in the world, so i just wanted to say thank you to those who are. you are all awesome.

You rock. :)
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    From the male perspective, it can be very embarrasing for us not to immediately know the correct gender!

I'm a ticket inspector on the trains in the UK. Quite often on a very busy train when I have to work quickly I sometimes say "Thank you, Sir" when taking their ticket only to look at them again after stamping it to see that it's a woman (usually with short hair, football shirts/hoodies, tattoos etc)... I try not to make a big thing of it and will say "Thank you, Miss" when giving it back.

Obviously, there is NOTHING wrong with choosing to dress like that. But it's embarrasing for me when I make the mistake.

From a pre-op perspective, I don't know that I am offended if someone uses the wrong pronoun accidentally, just disappointed. But I know the limitations of how well I pass. When people use the right pronoun I hear it every time and it can brighten the darkest night. Just do your best, be respectful, apologize simply and without much fuss if you get it wrong. That's the best you can do. :smile:

It's even harder to get names and pronouns right when someone you know transitions since you have a history with the prior gender. A person I have known for years is transitioning now. I sometimes struggle to get it right and I'm trans too. The experience has taught me to be patient with others.