40+ club

Options
I have been on this site for a couple of months now, I too am in the 40+ range and it sometimes really sucks. Everything that I use to do before to loose some weight, does not work for me now!! It's very frustrating when you do everything that you know you are suppose to (journal, exercise, healthy eating) and the weight does not budge. (if anything, it seems to keep climbing) I even went to the doctor thinking that something maybe be wrong with me like my thyroid (my my has a thyroid issue!) but all they told me was that I was anemic and I need to start taking iron pills. That would certainly explain why I was so tired all the time.. I just thought that was job related. Anyway my doctor told me about this site so I thought I would give it a try, so any words or wisdom or encouragement will be gladly taken..Add me as a friend if you choose. :smile:

Replies

• jackie2866
    jackie2866 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi There
    I am 45 and since turning 40 have gained weight steadily. It is very frustrating, I agree! This week I am trying something new as a test...Usually I go home after work and have a glass or two of wine. I think that has really hindered my weight loss and has contributed to the gain! So, I am cutting it out completely during the week and see if that has any impact. In my 30s, this was not an issue, but my food is pretty good and I exercise 4-5 times a week. Good luck to you!
  • Cheryl943
    Options
    Hi I am new to the group. I have been using the program for a couple of weeks now and I think it is very helpful. I quite smoking on 11-11-11 and have been gaining weight steadly. It started before I quite so I don't think it is totally due to that. I have type 2 diabetes, fibromyalgia and thyroid issues so am dealing with lots of issues. Any suggestions or experiences you have to share would be great. I look forward to getting healthier with you and lighter please God!
  • dawnh1968
    dawnh1968 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi - Im 43 and need to lose 2 stone.

I have found the older I get the harder it is and also, my excess weight is now going on round my middle - which I know is dangerous. It was always on my hips and thighs before.
    I have several chins too (really selling myself here!)

Really have to shift this weight once and for all :smile: xx
  • jackie2866
    jackie2866 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just curious - how much is 2 stone? :)
  • Grace619
    Grace619 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I feel like I hit the jackpot here. I felt I was the only one having issues with everything I did before to lose weight is not working. Something had to change. Something has to give. Two weeks ago my doctor called me with results from blood work that were not as good as I would have hoped. Cholesterol is high & I'm in a "prediabetic" status! What?! I feel so young! How can this be???!
    So, I started a low cholesterol diet & exercising more -- which is rough working 40 hours a week with 15 hours of commute time thrown in. Yes, really. 55-60 hours a week dedicated to work alone. Leaves little time for workouts. Sedentary job does little to whittle my waist.
    Stated eating better, reading food labels & walking at lunch (outside when the weather cooperates). Lost 5 pounds! Pretty much close to 100 more to go, but 5 lost!! Baby steps.
    Looking forward to hearing more from this group!! :) Have a positive day!!
  • Hoswife
    Options
    I feel like I hit the jackpot here. I felt I was the only one having issues with everything I did before to lose weight is not working. Something had to change. Something has to give. Two weeks ago my doctor called me with results from blood work that were not as good as I would have hoped. Cholesterol is high & I'm in a "prediabetic" status! What?! I feel so young! How can this be???!
    So, I started a low cholesterol diet & exercising more -- which is rough working 40 hours a week with 15 hours of commute time thrown in. Yes, really. 55-60 hours a week dedicated to work alone. Leaves little time for workouts. Sedentary job does little to whittle my waist.
    Stated eating better, reading food labels & walking at lunch (outside when the weather cooperates). Lost 5 pounds! Pretty much close to 100 more to go, but 5 lost!! Baby steps.
    Looking forward to hearing more from this group!! :) Have a positive day!!
  • Hoswife
    Options
    Right there with you. Baby steps. But great job for the first 5!!!
  • rr10speed
    Options
    Hi everyone, am new to this group and I'm thinking I'm going to like it! I think 2 stone is roughly 28 pounds.

I love the idea of baby steps, I need to learn that as I'm one that wants everything yesterday!!! I have to overcome that and take it day for day and many days instead of giving up in 2 weeks etc!

Nice meeting all of you :-)
  • Calamityjane2
    Options
    Hi Everyone Ive recently joined this site i am finding it very helpful as it seems to take me longer to loose those lbs these days, especialy at mo as i had a op on my feet just before christmas restricts how much exercise i can do, i have been doing sit ups & cycling in the air if anyone has any other exercise's that i can do where i don't have to jump around on my feet i would be greatful .
    Thank you nice to chat to you all xx
  • doneens
    Options
    Hi All, new here, just joined today. Going on 44 this month and have battled weight since my early 20's. Been up and down like a roller coaster over the years. Had worked really hard and lost around 50 lbs or so, but over the last year since I moved and started a new busy lifestyle, I've gained half of it back :( Just can't accept this, not after all that hard work I did! I get very depressed about it, and am very self conscious, so I need to be happy with myself again. My first goal is to lose the 25 lbs I gained back... then after that I'd like to lose at least 15 more to hit my ultimate goal. Have tried every diet under the sun, and the only thing that ever worked was counting calories and keeping it under 1200 a day, as well as working out several times a week. I focus on low fat, low cholesterol, high fiber, whole grain foods as much as possible. I lowered my cholesterol years ago by losing weight, so I need to do it again to avoid needing cholesterol meds. I want to drop the weight for my health and my looks, so I can feel more confident in public. So far I'm loving the myfitnesspal iphone app, and it's super quick & handy to scan in my foods with the barcode scanner! Hopefully this will help me get back on track. It's nice to know there are others in the same boat to get support and encouragement from too. Good luck to us all!
  • doneens
    Options
    Hi Everyone Ive recently joined this site i am finding it very helpful as it seems to take me longer to loose those lbs these days, especialy at mo as i had a op on my feet just before christmas restricts how much exercise i can do, i have been doing sit ups & cycling in the air if anyone has any other exercise's that i can do where i don't have to jump around on my feet i would be greatful .
    Thank you nice to chat to you all xx

Hi Jane,

Try getting one of those inflatable exercise balls, there are several exercises you can do with those that don't put a strain on your feet. Also, try getting a Pilates DVD, that is a great workout! Good luck!
  • kimberlycarman
    Options
    I also drink wine, it's kinda hard not to after such a long frustrating day at work. I'm new to fitnesspal but i'm having a really hard time at 52.
  • astuart7
    astuart7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    it looks like 14 pounds to a stone :)
  • NonnyK
    NonnyK Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!! Turning 40 has definetly been a milestone in my weight gain journey. I dread turning 50!! I am just hoping to set small goals and achieving baby steps!! Good luck to you!
  • Mommyofseven
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been on MFP for a few months....strayed away for a while and now am back. This group seemed like a great way to get some extra support. I'm a 42 year old mother of seven. I have diabetes and a disc problem from a fall that limits my activities significantly. I am blessed with a husband who walks with me and supports me. I had lost all my weight after being overweight all of my life and then God gave me a surprise and suddenly I was pregnant and having to eat 40% carbs with every meal, back on insulin and struggling to keep my baby alive. Now my daughter is going to be three soon and I still haven't lost all the weight I had gained. My commitment is strong as I do not want to have one more birthday feeling like I belong in a 4H show. I need all the help I can get!
  • cgailb
    cgailb Posts: 29
    Options
    I started this group on a whim. I was thinking, hey it would be great to connect with some people who have some of the same issues I do. WOW! I went to bed and now there are over 100 members! Yikes! That was really fast.

I'm glad were are all here together. I am already getting ideas for workouts and stress reduction.
    :flowerforyou:
  • tnews43
    Options
    So very glad to see this group!! I am 43 and have been struggling with my weight. Some days are harder than others. Nope it sure doesn't seem to come off like it use too! Baby steps!!
  • Morebaby
    Morebaby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and have been struggling with my weight for the past 10 years with the most significant gain in the past 5. I'd almost given up but thought I'd give it one more try. It's day 3 and so far so good. I'm really glad I found MyFitnessPal. I think it'll really help.
  • CailleachBeara
    CailleachBeara Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I've just turned 47 and faced the reality of how big I've become, now I'm doing something about it as I've had some health issues and I don't want to be fat and 50. I've tried a ton of diets, had problems with binge and compulsive eating and have steadily gotten bigger and bigger over the last three years. I'm finding it harder to shed the pounds as I get older but this time I'm not going on a fad diet or crash dieting as I've always gained back the weight and more each time.

I'm giving myself a year to lose between 10 to 15 kilos (22 to 33 lbs) I want to feel light again :smile:

So glad I found this group!
  • kdwatkinspc
    Options
    I'm 51 and had gastric bypass 10 years ago just a couple of years the weight creeps up. Just had blood work see the Dr Friday and go from there. Glad to be here.