What belt are you?

Options
I noticed people saying lots of things that quite frankly I don't understand. I am 'fourth notch rainbow belt' etc etc and in all martial arts the grading systems are different so it's hard to understand and sometimes congratulate.

Tell us a bit about where you are in what you train in.

Your martial art? Jujitsu
Your belt? Green
How many gradings have you had? 4

I heard a myth that in traditional martial arts there is no belt system. The belt starts of white and as you wear this belt over the years and train hard it gets dirty and ends up black. This is why those with black belts are old and wise and know better than us.

I don't care if it's true I like it.

Replies

• Osu2k1
    Osu2k1 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am training in Olympic Taekwondo. I am currently a green with blue stripe, which means nothing to you. :smile:
    Our belt ranks are as follows:
    White
    Yellow->yellow w/green stripe
    Green->Green with 1 blue stripe->Sr. Green (2 blue stripes)
    Blue->Blue w/ 1 red stripe->Sr. Blue (2 red stripe)
    Red->Red w/ 1 brown stripe->Sr. Red (2 brown stripes)
    Brown->Brown w/1 black->Sr Brown (2 black stripes)
    Poom Belt (black on top, red on bottom)
    BLACK!

16 belt ranks, each take 2 months to complete, if ready to test. Which means you can be a Black Belt in a MIN. 32 months.

For me, I finished my white in 2 wks, moved to yellow , and tested for Yellow w/green within 4 weeks of starting. I had been watching my son train for a year, so I was familiar with the techniques.

I will test again mid Feb for my Sr. Green. When we test we have forms, board break, kicking techniques, self defense, and Korean Terminology and Questions. Black belt is a 2 day test, which I cannot wait to test for in October 2013! :happy: I am counting down the months/belts!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    No belts or ranking systems in my Muay Thai gym.
    I have mixed feelings about it.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    wellbert, that is interesting how do you decide what to learn next do you have a syllabus?

Did they ever have ranks in Muay Thai? I s'pose it's more like boxing, you kick properly, defend and punch properly and then repeat. The more you train the better you get?

I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_belt_(martial_arts) which supports the story I heard about the black belt!

I think belts motivate people and are a necessary part of teaching martial arts as a hobby in the west, but I like the idea of no belts. I joined a new club so I am technically back at square one. It's changed my whole perspective. I am proud to have graded four times but it is now one long journey towards black.

I have reservations about timing yourself between gradings and schools which seem to hand out belts like a 2 year accelerated black belt programme.

You get there when you get there. It's about the journey.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Well, there aren't any kata, and the 'art' is really boiled down to the fundamental moves. You really learn most the basics very quick.
    Past that, it's all sparring and application. Like you said - more like boxing.

My previous kickboxing place had progress cards to make sure everyone hit every target...
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Original belt system created by Judo founder Jigaro Kano. There was only white and black, simply because those were the colors of kimono obi (and later judogi). When the judo gi became standard uniform for the art, there were only white belts and black belts. (FYI - for judo purists, this is still the standard. all white judogi only (no blue gi or other colors), no patches, no designs. no belt stripes or embroidery. simply an all white gi and belt.) there were only students and teachers.

When Ed Parker created American Kenpo Karate, he designated skill/experience level using increments (stripes, different colors) and began wearing patches and colored & custom designed gi. Good for motivation and for identifying skill/experience level.

Me: Boxing, no-gi grappling, and MMA, no official rank. Tae Kwon Do black, Jujitsu black, Judo green, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu white.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I train brazilian Jiu Jitsu and have for the last 16 months, Im a white belt with 4 stripes. This means when I am next promoted It will be to blue belt, the following ranks are purple brown and black after that.

No formals gradings as yet, I got 2 stripes after around 3 months training as recognition of putting quite a lot of time in and progressing fairly well, then got the other 2 after 6 months after winning my first comp. the other bue belt gradings I have seen involve the student having to roll with everyone else on the mats that night, which seems very gruelling and then perhaps having to demonstrate some techniques as directed by the higher grades.
  • iamronamo
    iamronamo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also train BJJ and gained 2 stripes on my white belt before our trainer went back to Brasil. I continued training for about a year after and its hard to know where your level is at because I mostly rolled with Blue/Brown belts and eventually kept up and started submitting the blues.

The blue belts gave me a list of subs and techniques I had to be able to demonstrate to be around blue level.

IMO This is why belt gradings are hard to compare gym to gym. One of our white belts won a regional comp submitting 2 purple belts.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    thats crazy, I keep up with blue belts regularly and can sub at leats one of the blues at my gym, but the 2 purples I roll with regularly are very experienced and wreck me every time. Your school must be super strict on gradings, and of course if your instructor isnt there its difficult to get promoted!
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options

IMO This is why belt gradings are hard to compare gym to gym. One of our white belts won a regional comp submitting 2 purple belts.

White belt is the core for everything after it. Their core moves are still fresh. Higher belts can become complacent and think knowing more is better.

Its better to be a master in one thing than a practitioner of all things.
  • iamronamo
    Options
    Haha actually its more like super slack- in BJJ anyway- The thing is despite not being graded you roll long enough with higher belts you pick up their moves/habits(some bad). It ups your level just rolling with them- you probably wouldn't be a "complete" blue/purple but know enough of their tricks/moves to keep it competitive.
    thats crazy, I keep up with blue belts regularly and can sub at leats one of the blues at my gym, but the 2 purples I roll with regularly are very experienced and wreck me every time. Your school must be super strict on gradings, and of course if your instructor isnt there its difficult to get promoted!

I also agree white belt is the basic building block of it all, know basics and do them well- agreed!
  • CoachDMarz
    Options
    Well I grew up as a boxer and there's no belts or levels of progress really besides how many fights you've had. That's usually how you're classified. 21 and Under and less than 10 fights you are a novice, older than 21 with less than 10 fights you are a senior novice and more than 8 fights or any win in a major tournament and you are considered open which is the next step before turning pro. I would have to say I've seen a lot of open fighters that would whoop on some pros they just choose not to turn. I've got 9 official sanctioned fights and being 23 that makes me an open fighter.

I also just barely started training in BJJ so I am a white belt in that. Really want to focus on that for the next year or two, but realize its a totally different beast from what I'm used to. I wrestled a little in high school, but am still getting used to being on my back a good deal of the time. Could use some motivation from somebody that's been there done that with brazilian jiu jitsu because its tough going from one of the top dogs at my boxing gym to a newbie at my BJJ spot. Just have to swallow my pride and take a couple *kitten* whoopings I guess, that was the best way I learned how to box...
  • iamronamo
    Options
    bro seriously keep at the BJJ!

I started out BJJ completely bottom-of-the-ladder and getting owned- in technique, strategy and conditioning- by guys 1/2 my weight - which for a big guy (110-115kgs) take a lot off the ego. but what i got in return for swallowing my pride and training hard was so much better than ego/image.

I can tell you, the gruelling 1-2months of flailing around "trying" the techniques I was being taught- and its tough- flexibility, anaerobic conditioning and strength in funny positions all get trained/worked at the same time... but once they started coming together- bro, one of the best feelings you'll ever have in fight training!

And it stays with you too- I've been out of training for almost a year now- first night back 25/01/2012 and i was sweeping and subbing guys like i'd never left (my cardio was *kitten* though, had to take a break every other round haha), technique was rusty but the basics were there.

Thats my 5c anyway man, just from my experience, the pain/grind is well worth it. The cost is high (pain/ego) but the rewards are even higher!
    Well I grew up as a boxer and there's no belts or levels of progress really besides how many fights you've had. That's usually how you're classified. 21 and Under and less than 10 fights you are a novice, older than 21 with less than 10 fights you are a senior novice and more than 8 fights or any win in a major tournament and you are considered open which is the next step before turning pro. I would have to say I've seen a lot of open fighters that would whoop on some pros they just choose not to turn. I've got 9 official sanctioned fights and being 23 that makes me an open fighter.

I also just barely started training in BJJ so I am a white belt in that. Really want to focus on that for the next year or two, but realize its a totally different beast from what I'm used to. I wrestled a little in high school, but am still getting used to being on my back a good deal of the time. Could use some motivation from somebody that's been there done that with brazilian jiu jitsu because its tough going from one of the top dogs at my boxing gym to a newbie at my BJJ spot. Just have to swallow my pride and take a couple *kitten* whoopings I guess, that was the best way I learned how to box...
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I was a yellow belter in Taekwondo way back when I was still 15. Right now I'm practicing Aikido but I'm still a beginner. Hopefully soon I will be purple belt.
  • MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    2nd Degree black belt in ITF-style United States Taekwon-Do Federation Taekwon-Do. Supposedly testing for 3rd in the not-too-distant future which will be interesting since my foot injury in 2010. Our belt system:
    10th gup
    9th gup High White (white with yellow stripe)
    8th Yellow Belt
    7th High Yellow (yellow with green)
    6th Green
    5th High Green (green with blue)
    4th Blue
    3rd High Blue (blue with red)
    2nd Red
    1st High Red (red with black)
    1st - 9th degree black belt
    1st- 3rd Novice
    4th-6th Expert
    7th Master
    8th Senior Master
    9th Grand Master
  • bobbie12b
    Options
    hey hey!

I'm a 1st Dan black belt in Shotokan Karate and a 1st Dan black belt in ITF Taekwondo. Been doing martial arts since I was 8 (started because I was bullied in school. My uncle who was in the army got me started to help build my confidence).

In both karate and taekwondo, the black belt is sorta a big deal, but not really. You learn that black belt is like a white belt....you do get a bit more respect, but its also just the beginning of the "real" training. It's easy going up to black....then it's a whole other ball game!
  • ohiobjjguy
    ohiobjjguy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BJJ Purple Belt
  • Susancaskey
    Options
    I do both Taekwondo and a modified Philippine combative stick / knife class. I started 2 1/2 years ago but had to sit out for 6 months due to a torn ACL (from sparring). But I am back and currently planning to test for my red belt in TKD and my 2nd level in sticks.

Our system for TKD is: White -> Yellow -> Purple -> Orange -> Blue -> Green -> Red -> Black 1 -> Black 2 -> ...
    We have partial belts at blue and higher but you have to demonstrate everything from your level to move to the next so for some it is a 3 year timeline for others (like me) closer to 5.

For sticks we have 4 levels: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (4th is similar to a black belt in sticks)

I am new to this group, but was excited to find it.

Sue
  • kyrakoala
    Options
    I earned a 2nd degree black belt in american karate (with korean roots...)
    but now I practice Taekwondo and I'm a green belt.

:)
  • luvlyjanny
    luvlyjanny Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i'm currently a red belt in shotokan karate! still a beginner :) however i graded in about 2 months and the minimum is 3 so im not doing too bad!! grading soon for my yellow belt :) looking forward to that!!
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I have a red belt with a black stripe. My next belt is black. My test is in June.

I practice Seven Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu.