What do I do with Almond Butter?

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
I have never tried almond butter before but have wanted to since starting primal a couple of weeks ago. I found these little packets in Kroger that are like single serving samples. I decided that would be the best thing to buy in case I hate it (although that's not likely... I like just about everything).

What do I do with it though? I assume you use it like peanut butter, but I'm not going to put it on bread obviously....

What do you use almond butter for?

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I like almond butter with apples, pears, carrots and celery.
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love it on apple slices.
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    You can make great paleo pancakes with almond butter, eggs, and an over ripe banana... i think I usually do one large banana, two eggs, and a cup of almond butter per batch. Makes enough to feed me and my fiance (he usually eats about twice the amount I do).
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    1/2 cup almond butter
    1 can coconut milk
    1 lime
    1-2 serrano pepper
    1-2 table spoon curry powder
    1/4 cup tamari sauce
    2 tbs ginger, rough chop
    1 tbs garlic, rough chop

Mix in blender, transfer to pan and cook on medium heat until thick. Makes about 12 servings. Eat it on meat and/or veggies.
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    good w/ fruit of course,...but I also LOVE as a sauce on chicken - my version of Pad Thai, using shredded red cabbage, carrots & sprouts instead of noodles. Its one of my new favs since trying to go mostly primal!
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Muffins, cookies, apple dip, etc....sooooo good
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love it in smoothies!

1 tbsp almond butter
    1 cup of coconut milk
    1 banana
    1/2 cup of blueberries
    maybe some protein powder ... or cocoa powder etc etc

Yum!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    The better question is what can't you do with almond butter?

But seriously it's delicious in everything, I even eat it out of the jar with a spoon. My favorite is to drizzle almond butter on top of a ripe pear.
  • kcalla
    kcalla Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    All of the above. I also mix in a few cocoa nibs (sugar free cocoa), a few chopped pecans, and some raw organic coconut, warm it a bit for a dessert! Almond Joy!
  • nelliemagine
    nelliemagine Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I've actually mixed it with some Lindt 85% dark chocolate and some coconut oil and heated it all up together. Made a really yummy warm drink or a good sauce over something.

But I usually have to keep it out of the house. I can eat it by the spoonful and can down a jar in a couple of days. Too many nuts means too much Omega-6!! And it's addictive for me. (Damn all these addictions. Why can't I find a 'good for you' addiction?)
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I second the spoon option.

I mix with coconut milk and cocoa powder to make a pudding or dip for fruit.
  • Cavewomancafe
    Cavewomancafe Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I too love it on apple slices and bricks. (Oh, whoops, don't tell anybody about the brick part..okay?) Anyways I love almond butter. One of my favorite things to do with it is drop a tablespoon or so in my protein smoothies. yum.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Also, instead of a spoon, I use a square (or a few) of Lindt 90% dipped in almond butter :D
  • new_for_now
    Options
    Here's something funky to do with Almond Butter! I love experimenting with "epic" burgers...stacking them real high! I read somewhere on marksdailyapple messenger board, that someone mentioned sticking it on a burger!

So, i just started a food blog, there is only one post so far, BUT, it's a giant burger recipe with almond butter! (avocado, bacon, egg...)

http://cavemanculinary.tumblr.com/

I call it "The Caveman Stacker."

Let me know what you think!
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You can make great paleo pancakes with almond butter, eggs, and an over ripe banana... i think I usually do one large banana, two eggs, and a cup of almond butter per batch. Makes enough to feed me and my fiance (he usually eats about twice the amount I do).

We do this too. It is amazing. If we are feeling crazy we throw in some blueberries.