2»

Replies

• anitapatton
    Options
    Thanks and you too.
  • sistrckv
    sistrckv Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Joey72talk you are a great motivator! Yes, I did do "my chores", yes they do count! Thank you for the reminder. I seem to be busy most of the day but it is not "in the gym" stuff!
  • sistrckv
    sistrckv Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I quess i gave the wrong person the credit for this post qwick! Sorry about that, but anyone who can give me a high five is appreciated! I may be older, but I ain't done yet!
  • straitcrzyMary
    straitcrzyMary Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a question....I have Fibromyalgia and Crohn's Disease both. I have find out. That I can hardly walk on the treadmill. It kills my feet. I get like pin sticking feeling in both feet. I have been using the recumbent bike instead. I can ride on it for 44 minutes sometimes more, and of course sometimes less. Has anyone else had this problem with their feet on the treadmill? I get so fustrated because I really want to do it.
    Thanks in advance for your answers and suggestions...
  • redbird99
    redbird99 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I use toning beds for flexibility (my friend has a full set at her home), walk with the dog a little (I'm trying to build up my distance), do my physical therapy routine, sometimes water aerobics (would do this more but I live in the country and the pool is in town), and ride my recumbent bike. I also have 3, 5, 8, and 10 lb free weights and exercise bands for strength training. I have bought some DVDs to use (Leslie Sansone, Pilates, Yoga, Wii Fitness Plus) but I haven't tried them yet. When I overdo, then I am out for a couple of days.
  • _tiifyjo_
    _tiifyjo_ Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am able to bike, stationary and normal. I enjoy that, but I get bored fast on the stationary bike and its so hot and humid where I live that I don't like to be out for long on the normal bike. I love Zumba but my lower back always kills afterwards. I also really enjoy the wii fit games, I work up a sweat and I don't have pain afterwards.
  • MATremblay
    Options
    I have problems with my feet also but I discovered wearing the toning sneakers (anything shoe with a rocker bottom) helps so much. Not sure if its good to run in them though.
  • MATremblay
    Options
    For myself at the moment, I get out walking as much as I can. I did try water aerobics, I found that awesome, just need to get there more often. My goal is to run again.
  • lemanie130
    Options
    recumbent bike.
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    hey guys ! I was diagnosed with FM about 5 years ago and i am curious how amy of you are able to run anywhere ! I have issues getting out of bed in the mornings infact some days i cant ! I also have tendenopathy in my hips which makes my mobility even worse. Please can you advise how your able to run as I need to find something to use to get fit ! cheers fibro friends and Gentle Hugs x x x

You can't run until you can walk. I do a lot of stretching and isometric exercises and walk as much as I can on good days. I can do isometrics without being on my feet and they really do work. On bad days I use heat and ice and take pain meds so I can get up and get going. I've also learned to massage my feet and legs before I get out of bed, especially when I feel like moving will be impossible. I find it takes patience and just doing what I can when I can is gradually increasing my capacity.
  • TAMMYCLARK62
    Options
    Most days I walk about 6 km's and I do Yoga around 3 times a week....also I do a few weight exercises and I always stretch afterwards. I started walking around 20 minutes a day and the more I did it the longer I could go. My advice is start slow and gradually work up to a goal. Now if I don't exercise I get sore and have no energy. Also I sleep much better which helps everything feel better. Sometimes when I first start walking I feel like turning around and going home to bed because it hurts so bad but if I push through the pain it soon goes away and I feel I can walk for hours.
  • katduck8
    katduck8 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have been walking. My hubby
  • caseypoot
    caseypoot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This sounds really silly, but I've been jogging in place for a half hour - 2 hours to lose weight! Before Fibro, I played varsity softball and at my fittest was running 3 miles a day on the treadmill on top of sprints and track laps during practices. I've tried time after time to even jog on the treadmill since gettin sick has killed my body and it's just too hard to even enjoy, but jogging in place (even in fast pace in intervals) supposedly burns almost as many calories (sure, you're not using all the same muscles and don't get resistance) and I've actually really been breaking a sweat similar to my old running days. It's really really hard on my feet and calves even with shoes on, but it's been worth it. I've lost 7 pounds in about 2 weeks watching my calories a little and just doing what I can!
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have a question....I have Fibromyalgia and Crohn's Disease both. I have find out. That I can hardly walk on the treadmill. It kills my feet. I get like pin sticking feeling in both feet. I have been using the recumbent bike instead. I can ride on it for 44 minutes sometimes more, and of course sometimes less. Has anyone else had this problem with their feet on the treadmill? I get so fustrated because I really want to do it.
    Thanks in advance for your answers and suggestions...

Yes. I can walk pretty well without pain most of the time but the treadmill and similar machines hurt my feet. I use a Gazelle Freestyle Extreme. The name makes it sound intense but it's actually very easy on the joints and the feet and a great way to get aerobic exercise. Here's a link for it http://www.tonylittlestore.com/6-thumb-plus.html. I bet you also could easily find a used one inexpensively since it's been on the market for over a decade.
  • TAMMYCLARK62
    Options
    I started very slowly walking daily....only 15 minutes a day. I gradually went farther and longer. Now I walk over an hour per day and I started running short distances while I am walking. Ialso do Yoga 3 days per week which really helps, I also stretch after walking. I can not believe how far I have come. I have lost 19 lbs and 14.5 inches all over since I started. Just start slowly and the results will come....good luck!!!!
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I used to go for lovely long walks which I can't do now because of this fibromyalgia and arthritis in my feet, but I still go for a stroll. I also use an exercise bike, although it isn't set to a very high resistance and I love yoga.
  • xxangelwingsxx
    Options
    hey have you looked into tai chi productions - tai chi for arthritis by Paul lam? i have found that by doing tai chi twice a day helps a lot its gentle and can be done sitting down if necessary. ive been able to progress to part two and im able to move much better now i hope this helps!
  • xxangelwingsxx
    Options
    also im still able to do core synergistic's, abb ripper x, and x-strech from p90x. i can do cardio-x and yoga-x to but i have to take it a little easier on those two. the key is to push yourself but not go full out on any exercise do about 75-85% effort on any given exercise any more then that and you risk deep pain and soreness or injury it helps to do the warm up twice sometimes just in case.
  • lovespinkflowers
    lovespinkflowers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    treadmill, Leslie swansons (sp hmm) 4 mile dvds... bike at the gym..