Week 2 - Challenge for the week

Options
kreiskathy
kreiskathy Posts: 42 Member
Great job to everyone for logging in! Your challenge for the week : Try something new. Make sure that you don't fall into a rut of eating the same things everyday. This could get boring and easily steer you off track. Once you have, post it and let us know how you liked it. I'm always looking for new dishes to try. See you all Tues. evening @ 6:30 pm for the Nutrition class.
Have a great day!

Replies

• nitrobass22
    Options
    yeah the same ole excersise and food will make you drop out fast
  • Carolinthewillow
    Options
    I recently discovered fat free greek yogurt. Great fat free alternative for sour cream or regular yogurt. High in protein and no fat.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
  • jrehm2000
    Options
    I made kale chips this past weekend for the first time. They were delicious and I couldn't stop eating them! Better kale chips than potato chips!
  • BOC57
    BOC57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Recipe for Kale chips please! Love Kale.

Am challenged by this......After 30+ years of fixing meals, and living with a man who eats three different vegetables (corn, peas and potatoes) I've lost my passion for finding and preparing new and different things.......But I'll come up with something.........
  • jrehm2000
    Options
    Here's the recipe I used, they turned out delicious! Even friends that don't like kale couldn't stop eating them.

Kale Chips

- Fresh, washed kale torn into chip-sized pieces.
    - Place on baking sheet covered in tin foil or parchment paper.
    - Spray very lightly with Olive Oil spray (I found that if I drizzled the oil then I used more than I wanted to)
    - Sprinkle lightly with salt

Roast in oven at 400 F for 10-15 minutes - they're done when the edges turn brown.
    Remove from oven and place in bowl if eating right away or store in airtight container.
  • BOC57
    Options
    Thanks.....sounds like good Super Bowl food for me :)
  • bgilchri
    Options
    Smashed Parsnips and Potatoes with Thyme

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 lb parsnips peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
    1.5 lb ukon gold potatoes (baby) quartered
    salt & pepper
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves plus extra for garnish

Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
    Cook parsnips witha 1/4 tsp of salt for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and a tsp. of salt;
    cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until parsnips and
    potatoes are tender (12-15 minutes). Drain the parsnips and potatoes.
    Return the empty pan and heat allowing any remanining water to evaporate. Add
    3 tbs of olive oil and the thyme leaves. Cook until the thyme starts to sizzel about 1 minute.
    Add the parsnips and potatoes, and smash with the back of a wooden spoon until combine
    but still chunky. Saeason with S&P. Drizzle with oil.
    Can make ahead and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Warm over low heat stirring occasionally.

Made this today will reheat tomorrow.
  • BOC57
    Options
    Roasted Fennel/ 2 servings

Saw this made on the food channel with copious amounts of olive oil poured straight from the bottle to pan. They also topped it with grated Parmesan cheese but that just wasn't a flavor I was interested in yesterday so I omitted it completely. Here's what I did and what I would modify.

I large fennel bulb cut into 8ths
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    salt and pepper

par boil cut fennel for 2 minutes, drain, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, roast in 425 degree oven for 25 minutes. checking it periodically so it won't overcook

It came out pretty good but not as tender and caramelized as it was on TV. I think cutting it in smaller pieces would have been better or parboiling it a little longer, if you like the larger pieces. It was sweetish, licorice like and buttery. pretty good stuff! I'll try this again.
  • Goal2bthin
    Goal2bthin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Finely Ground flax seed - I have started to add it to oatmeal, pancakes, cottage cheese, soups, muffins. It has lots of fiber and rich in omaga3. I don't even taste that it is there.
  • gopowells
    Options
    Thanks these recipes sound good to me.
  • pattycwxpgm
    pattycwxpgm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls

3 scoops chocolate protein powder
    1/4 cup flaxseed meal
    1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter

Thoroughly mix all ingredients in a bowl. add 1Tbsp. water at a time if necessary. Use a Tbsp. to form 1/2 spheres. Freeze 2 hours.
    makes 8 servings
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Here's the recipe I used, they turned out delicious! Even friends that don't like kale couldn't stop eating them.

Kale Chips

- Fresh, washed kale torn into chip-sized pieces.
    - Place on baking sheet covered in tin foil or parchment paper.
    - Spray very lightly with Olive Oil spray (I found that if I drizzled the oil then I used more than I wanted to)
    - Sprinkle lightly with salt

Roast in oven at 400 F for 10-15 minutes - they're done when the edges turn brown.
    Remove from oven and place in bowl if eating right away or store in airtight container.

ok - I have to admit - I was a bit skeptical about this but I tried them tonight. Holy Crap - these are really good. I did 1/2 w/ some garlic and salt, and man they were really good. Next batch Im going to spray a bit of vinegar and salt just to experiment.

Just wanted to say thanks for these!
  • michellesegedy
    Options
    I made Rocco Dispirito's "Ginger Sweet Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry" tonight and it was delicious!!

Ingredients:
    4 cups fresh broccoli florets
    1/4 cup water
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into medium-size chunks
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1-inch knob of fresh ginger cut into disks and smashed with the side of a chef's knife
    1/4 cup sugar-free apricot preserves
    1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon garlic-chili sauce such as Huy Fong
    2 cups cooked brown rice

1. Place the broccoli in a microwave-safe dish. Add the water and cover. Cook on high for 3 minutes or until tender. Set aside.

2. Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick saute' pan over medium-high heat. when hot, add 1 teaspoon canola oil and the chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook the chicken until both sides are browned, about 2 minutes each side. Move the chicken to the perimeter of the pan, and then add the remaining oil to the center. Add the ginger to the oil and saute' until fragrant, about a minute. Add the apricot preserves and the soy sauce. Stir together and bring to a simmer.

3. Drain the broccoli and add to the pan. Toss together, and then add the cilantro and garlic-chili sauce.

4. Serve immediately with brown rice.

Yummy!!!