So Cold!

Options
My hands and feet get so cold that they HURT. Is there anything I can do about this while I wait for my meds to start working? I've tried heat pads and hot baths, but I can only stay in a hot bath for so long and the head pad doesnt cover enough space LOL Thanks.

Replies

• BestCindyICanBe
    BestCindyICanBe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have been on meds for several years and the doctor says that I am "stable" but I still get really cold. The problem is not just that I get cold but that I have a hard time warming up once I am cold. I try to keep from getting cold in the first place. I wear wool socks and my ugs most of the winter. I try to think ahead. If I am going somewhere and I don't know what the temperature will be I plan on it being cold and dress accordingly. I don't know if that helps but at least you know you aren't alone.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    Thinking ahead is probably the most logical idea!! LOL I wait until I'm super freezing then I try to warm up. Like right now, sitting on a heat pad with my feet tucked under me and a mug of hot lemon water! If I hadn't been walking around barefoot and wearing a tshirt (even though it's 72 degrees in my house) I could have probably held off the freezing coldness for a little while. It is good to know I'm not alone, but I also feel terrible for everyone I talk to who has been dealing with this stuff for years :( It's only been 18 months for me and I'm beyond over it.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I had been hot for so many years that I now am very happy to be cold....such a treat. I wear a jacket now! I even wear a sweater too. I always plan ahead and carry warm clothes....since it is cool where I live I am used to always having a sweater or coat for the time when the fog comes into the city. Yes, plan ahead, always carry a sweater or coat and a scarf. Keep your head warm, that helps. Make sure that you don't have another disease, mention this to your doctor. Good luck.
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Gee, I am just the opposite - however I don't think thyroid is to blame. I just get an eye roll is I ask my husband is it hot in here or is it just me? It's worse at night I call it *night embers* and it interrupts my sleep.

It is probably hormonal, I just wish there was a natural way to balance us all out!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Mine is a combination. I am cold most of the time, then suddenly hot. No, it's not a hot flash.. menopause is long gone! I don't know for sure, but I think it's my adrenals.
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Terri I am three years post menopause but lots of my friends also experience the night sweats and hot flashes after the cessation of periods. I think our hormone levels still shift. I opted not to take anything ~going au natural ;)
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I too am always cold. Went on a long-ish bike ride today and wore much heavier clothes than my friend, who took of her jacket halfway through! Now I've got a warm sweater, tights and boots on and its mid-60s outside and gorgeous!!
  • Farfelue
    Options
    First thank you mnjjsmom for posting on the other board that there was a hypo/hyper group on here, I didn't know. Tx!

I too get so cold on feet and hands they go all white, blood circulation stops. Then when they warm up, they go purple and tingle.
    It is Raynaud's disease. Look it up on internet but don't scare yourself!

I constantly have hand-warmers ready to use in my handbag!
  • Shybea81
    Shybea81 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Mine is a combination. I am cold most of the time, then suddenly hot. No, it's not a hot flash.. menopause is long gone! I don't know for sure, but I think it's my adrenals.
    I have the same problem. First I'm freezing, then I'm sweating, then I'm freezing again. I keep a throw blanket at work and it goes on and off all day.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My husband says I'm the only person he knows whose body temperature is below room temperature - making me a zombie! I've started peri-menopause and have the occasional hot flash, but spend most of my days cold. I've made fingerless gloves for work so my hands are warm enough to type, and I wear wool socks a lot. You can make homemade handwarmers by putting rice in the bottom of a sock, tying and microwaving for a minute. Unfortunately, that doesn't help long term. But, it can get you through an evening.
  • aprildiamond42
    aprildiamond42 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cold hands and feet, that's me, especially when trying to lose weight!

Two things I do when I am too cold: wash the dishes by hand (using hot water), and exercise. Just about 15 minutes of jogging, walking fast or 100 jumping jacks warm me up for hours.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    I am SO glad I found this post - I never realized my cold hands and feet were a symptom of being hypo......explains alot!!

I was having serious worries that cold fingers & toes were a sign of diabetes - however I have my blood sugar checked regularly and I'm normal there.

What a load off my mind!! Whew.......
  • BeccaAnderton
    Options
    Wow! I had no idea my thyroid actually caused that, I'm always cold, especially my hands and feet! Except in the middle of the night when I get really, really warm! It's so strange that such a little gland can cause so many symptoms :s